[MyAppleMenu] Oct 7, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 7 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Review: Espresso 2 <http://it-enquirer.com/2011/10/06/review-espresso-2/>
IT.Enquirer

It still has some features that are rough around the edges, as well as some behaviours that I find odd (but that could also be personal taste), but it’s certainly a good HTML editor, with 95% of the functionality you require.

**** Reeder For Mac 1.1.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/162825/2011/10/reeder_for_mac_gem.html#lsrc.rss_weblogs_macgems>
David Chartier, Macworld

Reeder has a unique style while still feeling Mac-like, especially on Lion (thanks largely to Reeder's iOS roots). A flexible interface, a great out-of-box experience, and customizability made it my go-to Google Reader client from the first days I used it.

**** Real Racing 2 First iOS Game With 4-person Split Big Screen Action Via AirPlay <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/06/real_racing_2_first_ios_game_with_4_person_split_big_screen_action_via_airplay.html>
AppleInsider

**** iPhone 4S Now Available For Pre-order <http://www.macstories.net/news/iphone-4s-now-available-for-pre-order/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Cody Fink, MacStories

**** Unlocked iPhone 4S Coming In November, Won't Work With CDMA Carriers <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/07/unlocked_iphone_4s_coming_in_november_wont_work_with_cdma_carriers.html>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

Apple on Friday began taking preorders for the iPhone 4S, and also revealed its next-generation handset will be sold unlocked and contract-free in November starting at $649.

The unlocked iPhone 4GS will only work on supported GSM networks, like AT&T in the U.S. But it will not work with any CDMA carriers, including Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

**** Sweept: iPod Nano With Multi-Touch. <http://www.bill.eccles.net/bills_words/2011/10/sweept-ipod-nano-with-multi-to.html>
Bill Eccles

The motion is beautifully imperceptible, just like a real watch. It’s stunning.

**** Open Mike, Insert Verse <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/books/poetry-in-performance-in-new-york.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
David Orr, New York Times

When you imagine a poetry reading, the scene that comes to mind probably doesn’t involve battalions of underwear-slinging admirers.

**** How To Hatch A Dinosaur <http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/09/ff_chickensaurus/all/1>
Thomas Hayden, Wired

What we’re trying to do is take our chicken, modify it, and make a chickensaurus.

**** SPH: Another Home For Ex-ministers? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/sph-another-home-for-ex-ministers/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** PAP MP Spotted At SDP's Block Party <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4991-pap-mp-spotted-at-sdps-block-party>
Singapore Democratic Party

The residents had informed us that PAP-controlled Residents' Committee (RC) members had been going around discouraging residents from attending our party. This is yet another example of how the RCs which are supposed to be non-partisan are being used by the PAP for its own interests.

**** Welfarism For Singapore <http://singapore2b.blogspot.com/2011/09/welfarism-for-singapore.html>
Singapore 2B

In fact we need a whole ecology of welfare components intended to relieve the anxiety of the middle class in order to convince the middle class that this is a good place to raise a family.

**** Orchard Road Floods Not Marina Barrage's Fault, Say Experts <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_720822.html>
Straits Times

The panel's chair, Professor Chan Eng Soon, said it used a computer program to recreate the storm conditions during the Orchard Road floods but removed the barrage from the picture. It found that the floods would still have occurred even without the barrage.

**** Energy Costs To Derail SMRT’s Gains From Ridership? <http://sbr.com.sg/transport-logistics/news/energy-costs-derail-smrt’s-gains-ridership>
Singapore Business Review

**** Some Ex-ministers Still Cast Long Shadows On Govt <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/ex-ministers-still-cast-long-shadows-govt-110924633.html#more-id>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

Still, the return of former ministers, especially in advising the prime minister and the deputy prime minister, casts a shadow over the abilities and independence of the incumbent leaders of government. Some have said that this phenomena is indicative of the older former leaders' distrust of the current Cabinet to deal with the many complex issues which Singapore faces.

**** Debts And Dreams: Singapore's Migrant Workers <http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/07/business/singapore-migrants/>
Liz Neisloss, CNN

The 2011 U.S. Government "Trafficking in Persons Report" asserts agencies and employers in Singapore find ways to "mask" illegal fees. The report said "exorbitant fees are sometimes the result of multiple layers of sub-contracting to smaller agencies and individual recruiters, commissions paid to Singaporean agencies."

In response the Singaporean government has questioned the credibility and methodology of the report. It says it investigates and prosecutes any abuse of repatriation procedures, but they investigated only two cases in 2010, no mention of prosecution.

Singapore is certainly not Asia's worst offender in this area, but workers' advocates say much needs to be done to improve the situation. "Given Singapore's wealth and resources, it is a shame that we cannot deal with these issues adequately," said Wham.

**** Singapore Queries Malaysia On "Nude Squat" Case <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1157862/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has asked the Malaysian High Commission to provide more information on a case this June involving two Singaporean women detained for an alleged immigration offence and made to perform nude squats.

MFA said the understanding was that the outcome of the investigation would be conveyed to Singapore as soon as it's ready. But it said "this has not been received to date".