[MyAppleMenu] Oct 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 2 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** App Sandboxing Risks Eroding The Mac's Identity <http://www.macworld.com/article/162504/2011/10/app_sandboxing_risks_eroding_the_macs_identity.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Andy Ihnatko, Macworld

Can AppleScript and Automator have any future on an operating system where every app is surrounded by an impenetrable steel shell of distrust?

The Mac must never, ever become a consumer product like the iPad, saddled with artificial limitations in the name of safety, reliability, and tidiness. If Apple refuses to give us the 21st-century equivalent of HyperCard, why can’t they at the very least treat AppleScript and Automator like the gems that they are?

**** The App Culture <http://www.macworld.com/article/162503/2011/10/the_app_culture.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Here’s hoping Apple finds a way to keep our Macs secure, while allowing OS X apps to remain as powerful and innovative as they’ve been over the last decade. Mac users deserve both security and power—and the Mac App Store should be a showcase for the very best that Mac software developers have to offer.

**** On Extinction: How We Became Estranged From Nature By Melanie Challenger – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/02/on-extinction-melanie-challenger-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Olivia Laing, The Guardian

>From the horrors of the whaling industry to the melting icecaps of the Arctic, greed and the desire to be independent of nature seem to have outweighed any sense of the wisdom of conserving non-renewable resources, in itself a disturbingly neutral phrase for the lovely diversity of creatures that have disappeared on our watch. Nor is it just other species that are the victims of our rapacious knack for living. As she travels the globe, Challenger charts lost languages, skills and tribes, a melancholy litany of squandered diversity.

**** Singapore Business Times Releases Interesting BT Weekend App For iPad <http://www.amitiae.com/?p=6510>
Graham K. Rogers, Amitiae

For the $0.99 a week (as from 15 October), this is an easy decision to make and I expect many — both within Singapore and elsewhere — will go for this. Content, availability and price all hit sweet spots.

**** Lease Terminated; Two Firms Sue Govt <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_718751.html>
Janice Tai, Straits Times

**** Singapore’s Changing Attitude To China <http://blogs.ft.com/the-world/2011/10/singapores-changing-attitude-to-china/>
Gideon Rachman, Financial Times

But attitudes to China – and therefore to the US – seem to have shifted a little. Now that the rise of China has become much more palpable, Singapore seems to have rediscovered its fondness for the old American alliance.

This change in tone may also reflect a popular shift in attitudes to China. The Peoples Republic is not what you would call a close neighbour; Beijing is a six hour flight from Singapore. But China’s presence feels much more palpable, in ways that have provoked complaints from ordinary Singaporeans.

**** Singapore: The Island Of Noms. <http://seayouthsayso.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/singapore-the-island-of-noms/>
Kirsten Han, SEA Youth Say So

No matter what I may say about Singapore, no matter how much I may gripe and complain, there is one thing that I cannot deny: the food is awesome. Apart from family and friends, food is the thing that tops the list of things I miss about Singapore whenever I’m away.

**** SMRT Urged To Continue Thorough Checks On Circle Line <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1156782/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

Transport minister Lui Tuck Yew has called on public transport operator SMRT to continue to conduct thorough checks on the Circle Line before it fully opens next Saturday.

**** Healthcare : An Enlightened Move... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/10/healthcare-enlightened-move.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

**** Ex-railway Station An Event Venue? <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1156838/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia