[MyAppleMenu] Jun 14, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 14 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** iCloud Breaks Through At WWDC <http://www.macworld.com/article/160478/2011/06/icloud.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

iCloud takes that vision of a file-less future to the next step: No more worrying about where to save things, or where you put that file. By having apps take care of the nitty-gritty details of file management, we’re moving from the document-centric interface of the last 20 years or so to an application-centric model. It’s about actions instead of objects, verbs instead of nouns.

**** iTunes Now Costs $1.3 Billion/yr To Run <http://www.asymco.com/2011/06/13/itunes-now-costs-1-3-billionyr-to-run/>
Horace Dediu, Asymco

Since we know something about the average price of songs and apps, and we know the split between developers and Apple (and roughly between music labels and Apple) we can get a rough estimate of the amount Apple retains to run its store.

**** Food, Phone, Opinion. A New App Is Born. <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/nyregion/recco-app-offers-recommendations-for-its-users.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Liz Robbins, New York Times

But most of these tech-savvy diners have another way of recording such ecstatic eating experiences beyond the familiar social networks: a new smartphone application called Recco that is, at its core, a recommendation service for foodies with short attention spans.

**** iCloud And Apple’s Truth: Can You Win If You Don’t Play? <http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/13/icloud-apple-strategy-flaw/>
Joshua Topolsky, This Is My Next

Sure, syncing our devices is clearly an important and yet-to-be-solved problem, but Cupertino isn’t just improving sync across devices. It also seems to be concluding that it can’t — or won’t — compete on the web, and I think that’s a mistake.

**** One Case For Apple Bringing The Cloud To Average Users At The Right Time <http://onefps.net/post/6496478249/50-percent-of-iphone-owners-dont-backup>
One FPS

A little birdie says that about 50 percent of Apple Store customers who need to get their iPhones swapped have never plugged them into iTunes after the initial activation and sync. This is a big reason, according to this birdie, for why Apple Store Geniuses are excited about iCloud.

**** Why Apple’s Obsolescence Effect Is Overblown <http://gigaom.com/apple/why-apples-obsolescence-effect-is-overblown/>
Mark Crump, GigaOM

I’m very excited about iOS 5, especially since it looks like it’s bringing me lots of great new functionality, while still giving me a place for my favorite apps.

**** iOS5: There’s A Reason It’s Called ‘Beta’ Software. <http://mbarclay.net/2011/06/13/ios5-theres-a-reason-its-called-beta-software/>
Malcolm Barclay

I’m not out to demonise individuals, which is why I have blanked out the user names. However, I do want to highlight why leaving reviews like this is utterly misguided and what it means to install beta releases of iOS.

**** Meet The Man Who Wants An Apple Retail Union <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20070919-248/meet-the-man-who-wants-an-apple-retail-union/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

Cory Moll's only been with Apple since 2007, but in that time he's seen and heard enough to make him want to change the way the company runs its retail business.

**** In Case It Wasn’t Clear Already, Apple Likes To Build Software For Apple Devices <http://technologizer.com/2011/06/13/in-case-it-wasnt-clear-already-apple-likes-to-build-software-for-apple-devices/>
Harry McCracken, Technologizer

I’m not making the case here that Apple’s apparent lack of interest in browser-based apps based entirely on Web technologies is smart, just that it’s a logical outcome of the approach that defines the company.

**** iCloud.com To Offer At Least Some Of MobileMe's Web Functionality <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/icloud-com-to-offer-at-least-some-of-mobilemes-web-functionality/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

Apple has already started mirroring at least some of the existing MobileMe functionality on iCloud.com as well.

**** We Need A Programming Language For The Rest Of Us <http://www.leavesofcode.com/2011/06/we-need-programming-language-for-rest.html>
Leaves Of Code

Recently I took on the enormous task of learning Objective-C from the bottom up and I was struck by something I couldn’t shake: this is too hard.

**** Most Common iPhone Passcodes <http://amitay.us/blog/files/most_common_iphone_passcodes.php>
Daniel Amitay

The implication? A thief (or just a prankster) could safely try 10 different passcodes on your iPhone without initiating the data wipe.

**** Tackling Residual Folder Ownership When Demoting User Accounts In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20070934-263/tackling-residual-folder-ownership-when-demoting-user-accounts-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Buying MacBook Air Over Apple iPad 2: 10 Reasons Why <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/DR-Buying-MacBook-Air-Over-Apple-iPad-2-10-Reasons-Why-549123/>
Don Reisinger, eWeek

**** Nokia Enters Patent License Agreement With Apple <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/14/nokia-enters-patent-license-agreement-with-apple/>
Megan Lavey-Heaton, TUAW

Nokia issued a press release this morning stating that it has reached an agreement with Apple that includes the settlement of all patent litigation between the companies. This includes a one-time payment from Apple and ongoing royalties. The specific contract terms are confidential.

**** Enable Text Substitutions In Every App <http://www.macworld.com/article/160500/2011/06/text_substitutions.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Apple Now Selling Unlocked GSM iPhone 4 In US, Starting At $649 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/14/apple_now_selling_unlocked_gsm_iphone_4_in_us_starting_at_649.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

Apple updated its online store on Tuesday to begin offering unlocked models of the iPhone 4, starting at $649.

**** Mac Troubleshooting FAQ: Start-up Woes <http://www.macworld.com/article/159708/2011/05/troubleshooting_Mac.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

Without a doubt, the issues that cause the greatest consternation to Mac users are those that keep the computer from starting up or, if the computer deigns to boot, that prevent the Mac from operating as it should once it eventually makes its way to the Finder. Here are common startup issues and their solutions.

**** How A News Junkie Uses The iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/160499/2011/06/ipad_news_junkie.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

The iPad isn’t quite as light as a news magazine, but it’s still pretty portable—and it’s always more current. With Safari alone, the iPad could be a great news consumption tool. Coupled with apps, it satisfies my news addiction like nothing else can.

**** WWDC 2011 Keynote: Diversify <http://www.manton.org/2011/06/wwdc_2011.html>
Manton Reece

As Dave used to say, zig where they zag.

**** iOS 5 <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2011/06/14/ios_5/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IgnoreTheCode+%28ignore+the+code%29>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

It’s impossible to evaluate a notification system without actually using it. There are so many tiny nuances involved. On paper, what webOS and Android do sounds very similar. In reality, notifications on webOS work beautifully, while notifications on Android, well, mostly just work.

**** Scrivener For Long-Form Technical Writing <http://borkwarellc.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/scrivener-for-long-form-technical-writing/>
Mark Dalrymple, Borkware Miniblog

It does so much Right that it is a joy to use.

**** Book Review: 'A Wild Surge Of Guilty Passion' By Ron Hansen <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-et-book-20110614,0,1138115.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Susan Salter Reynolds, Los Angeles Times

The story of the Snyder-Gray murder is irresistible for a storyteller like Ron Hansen, for whom context, period, culture is everything.

**** A Day In The Life Of A Smiling Woman: The Collected Stories By Margaret Drabble <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/8565636/A-Day-in-the-Life-of-a-Smiling-Woman-The-Collected-Stories-by-Margaret-Drabble.html>
Elena Seymenliyska, The Telgraph

Drabble’s collected stories offer a clear distillation of her classic themes – women and relationships, England and abroad, work and family, class and manners. Better still, they link elegantly together into a narrative about the changing lives of women, not just in terms of a woman’s own decades – from her clueless twenties to her wised-up sixties – but also in terms of the century’s sexual politics.

**** Weapon Salve <http://www.slate.com/id/2296848/?from=rss>
Charles Harper Webb, Slate

**** Chiam See Tong – A Voice For The Voiceless <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/chiam-see-tong-a-voice-for-the-voiceless/>
Teo Soh Lung, The Online Citizen

He showed Singaporeans that there was nothing to fear by entering opposition politics.

**** Fees Increase At Some PCF Kindergartens, Childcare Centres? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110614-0000015/Fees-increase-at-some-PCF-kindergartens,-childcare-centres?>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

A fee increase is in the pipeline at some People's Action Party (PAP) Community Foundation (PCF) kindergartens and childcare centres, especially those which are losing money. While fees will not increase "across the board", a PCF spokesperson told MediaCorp that a PCF branch may consider doing so with justifications such as new curricula or special programmes.

**** Head Of RP Women's Wing Applies For NSP Membership <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110614-0000089/Head-of-RP-womens-wing-applies-for-NSP-membership>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Today

**** SDP: A Party Ahead Of Its Time <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6932>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Instead of accusing SDP of engaging in destructive politics, we should recognize what freedoms we enjoy now, which we take for granted sometimes, are in fact due to them.

**** Passenger Disagrees With Airline <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_679457.html>
Law Cher Khiam, Straits Times

**** Reduce Rentals To Keep Food Stalls Afloat <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_679601.html>
Murali Sharma, Straits Times

The HDB and other government agencies that are landlords, and the private companies that run food centres, should step up and reduce rentals. They too have a duty to the population.

**** WP Sets Up Aljunied Grassroots Body <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_679685.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

Called the Aljunied Constituency Committee (AJCC), it aims to bring residents together to interact and know one another better through activities and community events, according to its website.

WP secretary-general Low Thia Khiang, an MP for Aljunied GRC, told The Straits Times last night that the AJCC is modelled after a similar grassroots body he set up in Hougang shortly after he won the single-seat ward in 1991.

**** LTA To Study Noise Levels Along Elevated MRT Tracks <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1135018/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said it will conduct a noise measurement study along the entire length of all elevated MRT tracks island-wide to identify locations that require special attention. The study, which will be completed by the second quarter of 2012, will enable LTA to identify locations that require special attention.

**** NUH Confirmed That It Has A Lower Local-to-foreign Nurse Ratio <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/06/13/nuh-confirmed-that-it-has-a-lower-local-to-foreign-nurse-ratio/>
The Temasek Review

NUH has indeed confirmed that it has a lower local-to-foreign nurse ratio. However, NUH has been around since 1985. After 26 years, it remains a mystery why local-to-foreign nurse ratio cannot be built up and according to CEO Joe Sim, it still needs time to do so.

**** No Easy Answers In The Housing Hot-seat <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/06/no-easy-answers-in-the-housing-hot-seat/>
Nigel Tan, The Satay Club

**** Let The Private Sector Take The Lead <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/06/let-the-private-sector-take-the-lead/>
Wayne Sim, The Satay Club

**** Tickets Snapped Up For KTMB’s Final Tanjong Pagar Service <http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/TicketssnappedupforKTMB__8217_sfinalTanjongPagarservice/Article/>
Atiqa Hazellah, New Straits Times

Almost all of the 172 tickets for the final journey were snapped up after they went on sale at noon yesterday, pointing to the possibility that many wanted to be a part of the historic occasion.

**** Love, Honor And Obey: Obedient Wives Club To Set Up In Singapore <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/obedient-wives-club-set-singapore-chapter-087455>
CNNGo

The controversial Malaysian group that teaches wives to avoid marital problems by listening to their husbands and being as submissive as a prostitute is coming to Singapore.

**** Singapore Proposes Corporate Governance Changes To Shield Its Image <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-14/singapore-proposes-corporate-governance-changes-to-shield-its-image.html>
Andrea Tan, Bloomberg

Singapore proposed changes to its corporate governance rules such as ensuring the independence of directors and board oversight of a company’s internal controls as the city seeks to protect its reputation as a financial hub.