[MyAppleMenu] Jan 8, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 8 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Verizon Finally Lands The iPhone <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704739504576068170230339348.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEADNewsCollection>
Shayndi Raice And Yukari Iwatani Kane, Wall Street Journal

The largest U.S. wireless carrier will make the long-awaited announcement at an event Tuesday in New York City, a person familiar with the matter said Friday.

Verizon sent out invitations for an event to be held in New York City on Tuesday asking that recipients "Join us as we share the latest news," but didn't specify the subject matter. The event will be headlined by Lowell McAdam, president and chief operating officer of Verizon Communications.

**** Hands On: Software Updates Through The Mac App Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/156651/2011/01/macappstore_updates.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

In case you’re wondering how minor software updates through the Mac App Store work, here’s a look.

**** Developers Weigh In On The Mac App Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/156985/2011/01/mac_app_store_developers.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

**** Line2 Adds Unlimited Phone, Voicemail And Texting To Your iDevice For $10 A Month <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/07/line2-adds-unlimited-phone-voicemail-and-texting-to-your-idevic/>
Victor Agreda, Jr., TUAW

Line2 is a tri-mode calling app for your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. It uses data, WiFi or even cellular voice connections to make and receive calls -- a first for iPhone. While there's a 30-day free trial, the service ultimately costs $10 per month. But for that fee you get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and a powerful voicemail system.

**** 'Installed' Apps, The Mac App Store, And You <http://www.macworld.com/article/156980/2011/01/installed_apps_appstore.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

It would be nice if Apple provided a way to absorb existing applications, or at the very least allowed developers the ability to discount the Mac App Store versions of their apps for users who owned previous versions, but there’s no indication that such an option is the offing, so don’t hold your breath.

**** Apple Updates Remote Desktop, Adds Widget <http://www.macworld.com/article/156986/2011/01/apple_remote_desktop.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

In addition to the client and admin updates for Apple Remote Desktop, the company introduced a new dashboard widget that provides an at-a-glance view of remote computers.

**** HyperMac Sidesteps Apple Patent Headache With DIY Solutions <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/01/hypermac-sidesteps-apple-patent-headache-with-diy-solutions.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** The Future Of Mac App Store Installs <http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/1566/the-future-of-mac-app-store-installs>
Daniel Jalkut, Red Sweater

What’s most interesting about all this is that there is clearly an infrastructure in place for allowing a wide variation of behaviors, all centering around the multi-purpose Buy/Installed button in the App Store. I would like to see the volume-check options documented and made explicitly available to developers, so that we can help prevent unwanted redundant purchases on the part of our customers. I would also be curious to know if other hooks are in place or are planned to for example allow developers whose apps do show up as installed to second-guess that assumption and encourage the App Store to provide a “Buy” option to customers.

**** The Mac App Store And The Increasing Simplification Of OS X <http://shawnblanc.net/2011/01/simplifying-os-x/>
Shawn Blanc

In many ways the Mac App Store is today what the iTunes music store was in 2003 — a new storefront to help promote and grow an already-established industry that could use a bit of a boost.

**** User Interface Conservatism Versus Liberalism <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11873?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

The real problem with UI liberalism is that it reduces the usability of the platform as a whole. That’s of little concern to the individual developer, who just wants her app to stand out, but it is—or at least it should be—of concern to Apple, whose platform becomes harder to use with every app that reinvents the steering wheel.

**** Mac App Store Licensing And Copy Protection, Explained <http://www.macworld.com/article/157018/2011/01/appstore_licensing.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Beyond entering in your Apple ID and password, this is all on the honor system.

**** Apple Pulls VLC Media Player From The App Store <http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/01/07/move.said.to.be.related.to.licensing.dispute/>
MacNN

Apple has finally pulled Applidium's VLC video player app from the iTunes store due to a licensing discrepancy. The situation is one of the prominent examples of conflict between the open-source GNU General Public License, which is tied to the VLC player, and the terms detailed in Apple's own App Store licensing.

**** Day 1 For A $1 App On The Mac App Store <http://lacquer.fi/pauli/blog/2011/01/day-1-for-a-1-app-on-the-mac-app-store/>
Pauli Olavi Ojala's Notes

Even if this level of sales doesn’t keep up, I’m definitely motivated to publish more stuff on the Mac App Store in the future.

**** Photoshop Premiere Elements A Serious Competitor For Final Cut <http://www.macnews.com/2011/01/07/photoshop-premiere-elements-serious-competitor-final-cut-express>
Dennis Sellers, MacNews

**** Longitude <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/08/longitude-jackie-kay-saturday-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Jackie Kay, The Guardian

**** Pulse By Julian Barnes - Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/08/julian-barnes-pulse-rachel-cusk-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Rachel Cusk, The Guardian

A short story, with its somewhat clandestine relationship to the concept of fiction, is not a marriage. Julian Barnes's choice of the form is significant: in Pulse, the nature of long-term partnership is a predominant theme. This is a volume that works hard to overcome its own fragmented condition, as though in fear that variety might become disarray. At this point Barnes is certainly the master of his own style: what preoccupies him here are the novelistic qualities of endurance, unity, cohesiveness, qualities for which the short story is made to act as an anti-metaphor.

**** John Gray On Humanity's Quest For Immortality <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/08/john-gray-immortality?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
John Gray, The Guardian

>From Victorian séances to the embalming of Lenin's corpse to schemes for uploading our minds into cyberspace, there have have been numerous attempts to deny man's mortality. Why can't we accept the limits of science?

**** The Handwritten Letter, An Art All But Lost, Thrives In Prison <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/business/media/08jailmail.html>
Jeremy W. Peters, New York Times

In prisons across the country, with their artificial pre-Internet worlds where magazines are one of the few connections to the outside and handwritten correspondence is the primary form of communication, the art of the pen-to-paper letter to the editor is thriving. Magazine editors see so much of it that they have even coined a term for these letters: jail mail.

**** TCM Practitioners Not Exempted From Duty To Provide Proper Medical Care <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_621773.html>
Chuo-Ng Peck Hiang, TCM Practitioners Board, Straits Times

Singapore does not have double standards regarding medical practice. Every professional group has different qualifications, training requirements and scope of practice. TCM practitioners, by virtue of their training and practice, are not the same as Western medical practitioners. In the same way, nurses, pharmacists and other health-care professionals are also different. Therefore, not all health-care professionals could be viewed in the same way.

This is not a case where TCM practitioners enjoy any exemption from their obligation to provide proper and adequate medical care. If any TCM practitioner is found guilty of misconduct or improper behaviour, he will be dealt with by the TCM Practitioners Board.

**** Oh Where, Oh Where Have The Dolphins Gone? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110108-0000229/Oh-where,-oh-where-have-the-dolphins-gone?>
Esther Ng, Today

The five remaining bottlenose dolphins at a holding area in Langkawi destined for Resorts World Sentosa's (RWS) Marine Life Park were no longer at the pen of the Awana Porto Malai resort when MediaCorp visited on Friday.

An employee who wanted to be known as Ahmed, told MediaCorp that the dolphins were put into a container last month and sent to Langkawi's international airport, from where they shipped to the Philippines.

**** Cheap Meals Under Threat <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/1/8/columnists/insightdownsouth/7750303&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The food stalls have been a government triumph from many years ago, started to replace an army of street vendors selling food house to house. That Singapore could provide a worker’s meal for S$5 is really a bit of a wonder – considering the country imports 90% of its food needs.

But with the government’s preoccupation of maximising gross domestic product (GDP) growth, few are prepared to predict the future direction of the hawker stall and cheap meals.

**** Singapore Turns To Art-Fair Guru <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704723104576062122190135268.html>
Alexandra A. Seno, Wall Street Journal

**** Why Singapore Retires Securely <http://oregoncatalyst.com/1990-Why-Singapore-Retires-Securely.html>
Sreya Sarkar, Oregon Catalyst

American policymakers who seek to expand welfare and social insurance by including universal single-payer health care should look carefully at Singapore.

**** Landed Home Crunch Set To Worsen <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_621923.html>
Esther Teo, Straits Times

Landed homes are a rare commodity, and the crunch is expected to get worse in the coming years, going by the limited stock available.

**** 殃及池鱼的中医肿瘤专科 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110108_012.shtml>
潘广斋, 联合早报

**** RWS Must Comply <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110108-0000196/RWS-must-comply>
Carrie Kwik, Singapore Tourism Board, Today

RWS must comply with international regulations, which include those of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (Cites), as well as the requirements of the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) to safeguard animal health and ensure no animals are harmed or treated inappropriately at any time.

RWS will also be required to work with AVA to ensure that the marine animals in Singapore are provided with adequate space and care, among other considerations.

**** Singapore's Civil Service Is World's Best, Says Labour Chief <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1103473/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Labour chief Lim Swee Say said Singapore should not be shy about having one of the highest paid civil services in the world.

**** 30% Jump In Class C Hospital Bills Since 2006 <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/01/30-jump-in-class-c-hospital-bills-since.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** If You Can Pay, You Can Afford It <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/01/if-you-can-pay-you-can-afford-it.html>
Singapore Notes