[MyAppleMenu] Feb 28, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 28 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New Spotlight And Quick View Features <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/27/inside_mac_os_x_lion_new_spotlight_and_quick_view_features.html>
AppleInsider

In Mac OS X Lion Apple has integrated Spotlight search features with Quick View for previewing results, allowing users to see documents and metadata inline while performing a search.

**** Lion: Apple Brings Facebook, Flickr, Vimeo, Mail Sharing To QuickTime 10.1 <http://www.macstories.net/news/lion-apple-brings-facebook-flickr-vimeo-mail-sharing-to-quicktime-10-1/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Mac OS X Lion: Drops PowerPC Emulation, Adds QuickTime Pro Features, Much More <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/27/mac-os-x-lion-drops-powerpc-emulation-adds-quicktime-pro-features-much-more/?>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

**** Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New Finder Search, Item Arrangement Views <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/27/inside_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_new_finder_search_item_arrangement_views.html>
AppleInsider

While Lion continues a trend toward user interface simplicity, it's still getting powerful new features. Among the improvements to the Finder are new search suggestions for refining queries, as well as ways to view items the file system.

**** Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Font Book 3, Emoji Support <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/27/inside_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_font_book_3_emoji_support.html>
AppleInsider

Apple has enhanced its Font Book app for managing installed font faces, and has added a new Emoji font commonly used in chat to express ideograms.

**** Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Crash Or Continue, Push Notifications <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/27/inside_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_crash_or_continue_push_notifications.html>
AppleInsider

**** Mac OS X Lion To Include Updated Version Of Safari With WebKit2 <http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2011/02/28/mac-os-x-lion-to-include-updated-version-of-safari-with-webkit2/>
Sebastian Anthony, Switched

WebKit2, rather than being a whole new rendering engine, is a layer around WebKit that adds more stability, security and speed -- not entirely unlike the Google Chrome sandbox, which is also strapped onto a version of WebKit. The most exciting feature of WebKit2 is that it splits the browser UI and the rendered content into separate processes. It's possible that each tab will have its own process, too, like Chrome.

**** How To Manage Safari's Top Sites <http://www.macworld.com/article/158120/2011/02/manage_safari_top_sites.html#lsrc.rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

**** Ku Li <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/feb/28/ku-li-robin-hyde?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robin Hyde, The Guardian

**** The Pen, Mightier <http://www.themillions.com/2011/02/the-pen-mightier.html>
Nell Boeschenstein, The Millions

The starting point of handwriting is no doubt neurological, but pens have been, historically speaking, what has gotten us from capital letter to full stop. Hence, the fabled image of writer bent over desk, pen to paper, deep thoughts flowing like wine down the esophagus. The pen’s place in a writer’s self-image is somewhat sacred. For better or worse, I don’t think it’s an overstatement to venture that some are as likely to pony up for pens as for health insurance.

**** Story’s End <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/03/07/110307fa_fact_orourke?currentPage=all>
Meghan O’Rourke, New Yorker

Writing a mother’s death.

**** The PAP’s Flawed Immigration, Foreign Talent And Foreign Worker Policies <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=5980>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

This model of economic growth is unsustainable because it is built not on the firm rock of increased productivity and innovation, but on the shifting sands of rapid population growth, which cannot continue indefinitely.

Singapore is a nation of immigrants, as we know from history. But we are no longer the sleepy fishing village of the early 19th century. The government cannot justify exploding the population with foreigners on the basis that this was done in the early dawn of our nation’s history. We are a modern city with vastly different needs and social circumstances. Our economy has matured. The government’s policy of rapid population expansion is flawed and can only end in tears if it is not reversed soon and fast enough.

**** SDP And NSP Meet In Yuhua <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110228-0000171/SDP-and-NSP-meet-in-Yuhua>
Esther Ng, Today

With opposition parties eager to stake their claims on newly carved out wards - ahead of a meeting to avoid three-cornered fights - Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) members bumped into their counterparts from the National Solidarity Party (NSP) at a hawker centre in Yuhua yesterday.

**** PAP, Opposition Members Cross Swords On TV <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110228-0000162/PAP,-Opposition-members-cross-swords-on-TV>
Esther Ng, Today

As Singapore shifts into higher gear for the General Election (GE), the opposition voiced doubts on the government's aim of increasing real income by 30 per cent over the next 10 years.

Mr Goh said his party doubted that the government could meet its stated target in raising Singaporeans' real income. He pointed out that, in spite of the strong economic growth in the last decade, the government was unable to raise the real income by 5 per cent for households in the 20th percentile. But Mr Palmer stressed that it is work in progress: Apart from raising productivity, the government has also embarked on a push to increase the skill levels of the workforce.

**** Why Do This When Victory Is Certain? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_639538.html>
Lee Seck Kay, Straits Times

It is hard to imagine that any political party in power, let alone the People's Action Party (PAP), would go to such lengths without securing an advantage.

**** Do Opposition Figures Have Roots? <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=10180>
Christopher Ong, Kent Ridge Common

**** Singapore’s New Constituencies And Last Election Results <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2011/02/singapores-new-constituencies-and-last-election-results.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rana+%28Pressrun.net+%28originally+Blowin%27+in+the+Wind%29%29>
Pressrun.net

**** 选前报道 盛传是义顺集选区领军人物 尚穆根对新选区信心满满 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110228_011.shtml>
刘丽仪, 联合早报

盛传将是义顺集选区领军人物的内政兼律政部长尚穆根昨天走访义顺忠邦区,信心满满地表示已做好准备出战被分配的“战区”,并借由和居民的热情互动,以实际行动来打破坊间担心将成为他一大挑战的语言障碍。

**** 选前报道 没有依约合访西海岸集选区 肯尼斯和詹时中合作泡汤? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110228_009.shtml>
林慧慧, 联合早报

原本约定与革新党秘书长肯尼斯一起走访西海岸集选区的人民党秘书长詹时中和太太罗文丽昨早双双失约,只派出约10名党员做代表,这引起反对党人士猜测詹时中是否已在革新党最近闹出内讧之际,决定在同革新党合作方面打退堂鼓。

**** 选前报道 为避免打三角战 反对党本周料共商竞选布局 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110228_006.shtml>
游润恬 林诗慧, 联合早报

选区划分报告上星期四公布之后,众反对党领袖都纷纷率领党员四处走访选民,以本身的足迹来宣示已锁定将派候选人角逐的选区。预料各反对党在本周内将陆续对所要竞选的选区进行讨论,并于本周末达成协议,以避免在任何选区和执政的人民行动党候选人打三角战。

**** Malaysia’s “Balanced Growth” Better Than Singapore’s “Higher Growth”? (Part 3) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/02/malaysia’s-“balanced-growth”-better-than-singapore’s-“higher-growth”-part-3/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Low Birth Rate? Don’t Discriminate Against Children From Single Parent Families <http://newnation.sg/2011/02/low-birth-rate-don’t-discriminate-against-children-from-single-parent-families/>
Fang Shihan, New Nation

Instead of beating around the bush and getting picky singles to lower unrealistic expectations or increasing incentives for Singaporean to produce babies within an archaic institution, why not just support babies emerging from alternative families?

**** Room For Fresh Ideas On Income Gap <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110228-0000146/Room-for-fresh-ideas-on-income-gap>
Siew Kum Hong, Today

If the strategies used in the past have not successfully addressed one of the most critical socio-economic issues facing Singapore, why then would more and more of the same lead to a different outcome this time?

We have the room and resources for institutionalised social welfare measures to ensure a minimal standard of living reasonably commensurate with our overall developmental status as a society. Some will argue that this would represent a dangerous first step down a slippery slope of ever-shriller calls for increased benefits. But this argument implies a willingness to disregard the suffering of our less-fortunate brethren, simply because of a theoretical risk that our Government cannot resist public pressure.

**** Whistle-blowing Policy Clarified: DPM Teo <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1113457/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

Deputy prime minister Teo Chee Hean, who is also Minister in charge of the Civil Service, said the Civil Service emphasises high standards of integrity, discipline and accountability. He added that its officers have a responsibility to report cases of wrongdoing if they have sufficient information.

**** Just What The Doctor Ordered <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/02/just-what-doctor-ordered.html>
Singapore Notes

**** The Reform Party’s Rocky Road <http://dlzj.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/reform-party-rocky-road/>
Icarus Flew Too High

I figured Wednesday’s massive walkout from the Reform Party underscores a significant problem with most parties in Singapore today, that is, the inevitability of following the path of personality cum brand-name politics.

**** To Vote Or Not To Vote <http://thotspeak.blogspot.com/2011/02/to-vote-or-not-to-vote.html>
The Art Of Dumbspeak

**** Electoral Boundaries And Gerrymandering: Increasing Committee Transparency <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/electoral-boundaries-and-gerrymandering-increasing-committee-transparency/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

If issues of transparency and purported gerrymandering are not adequately addressed in the years to come, the propositions of manipulation would continue to haunt the PAP; and might eventually adversely affect their performance come Election Day.

**** Singapore’s Human Rights Vs Hong Kong’s Human Rights <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/singapores-human-rights-vs-hong-kongs-human-rights/>
Spotlight On Singapore

One of the hallmarks of a democracy is the ability to hold street demonstrations. If you are in Hong Kong, and happen to see a street demonstration see if it is that destabilizing and disruptive as the Singapore government often claims it is.

**** Singapore Property Prices Continue To Firm Despite Cooling Measures <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1113514/1/.html>
Millet Enriquez, Channel NewsAsia

Non-landed private home prices in Singapore galloped higher in January despite the government's recent stringent measures to choke off property speculation.

Flash estimates compiled by the National University of Singapore Institute of Real Estate Studies show the overall Singapore Residential Price Index rising by 2.6 percent month-on-month. This is more than double the one percent increase in the index recorded in December.

**** For Family's Sake, Shorten Our Work Days <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110228-0000531/For-familys-sake,-shorten-our-work-days>
Anita Subramaniam, Today

Our working hours are too long. We are dying.

**** EBRC Report – Response To SM Goh Chok Tong <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2011/02/ebrc-report-response-to-sm-goh-chok.html>
Sylvia Lim, Workers' Party

**** Budget Speech 2011 By Mr Low Thia Khiang <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2011/03/budget-speech-2011-by-mr-low-thia.html>
Low Thia Khiang

**** GE: SDA Endorses Manifesto, Identifies Seats To Contest In <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1113553/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Among the areas identified by the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) are the cost of living, Singapore's low birth rate and the issue of foreigners in the country.

Nine issues were identified in the manifesto. They are: transportation, national identity, Singapore's low fertility rate, the distinction between Singaporeans and foreigners, housing policies, social and welfare needs, CPF, medical and education.