[MyAppleMenu] Feb 21, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 21 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Apple’s Three Laws Of Developers <http://yourhead.tumblr.com/post/3320228508/apples-three-laws-of-developers>
Isaiah Carew

1. A developer may not injure Apple or, through inaction, allow Apple to come to harm.

**** Apple Using 'Market Power' To Gouge Aussie iTunes Users <http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/apple-using-market-power-to-gouge-aussie-itunes-users-20110221-1b1nq.html>
Asher Moses, Sydney Morning Herald

Consumer group Choice has chastised Apple over its Australian iTunes Store pricing after an analysis revealed Australians pay almost 50 per cent more than Americans for a basket of music tracks and apps.

Choice says Apple is using its "market power" to charge users in Australia more but Apple says comparing different countries using currency conversions is not relevant.

**** Open Two Instances Of Preview At Once <http://www.macworld.com/article/158007/2011/02/opentwoinstancesofoneapp.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Daniel Beck, Macworld

**** Escape The iOS SDK: Building iPhone (And Android) Apps Via Flash <http://www.macworld.com/article/158044/2011/02/app_programming.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Peter Wayner, InfoWorld

**** This Super Simple RSS Feed Reader Really Is Simple <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/this-super-simple-rss-feed-reader-really-is-simple>
Alexis Kayhill, Mac360

**** Apple Responds To Billing Issue, Sort Of <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/02/apple-responds-billing-issue-sort/>
Bryan Wolfe, AppAdvice

I’m happy the problem was resolved, even though I’m still unsure what was actually causing it.

**** Book Lovers Fear Dim Future For Notes In The Margins <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/books/21margin.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dirk Johnson, New York Times

“People will always find a way to annotate electronically,” said G. Thomas Tanselle, a former vice president of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation and an adjunct professor of English at Columbia University. “But there is the question of how it is going to be preserved. And that is a problem now facing collections libraries.”

**** The Need For Speed <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/feb/21/the-need-for-speed>
Tony Naylor, The Guardian

Would it encourage you to eat a 3 course lunch if you're guaranteed to be out in an hour?

**** A Monopoly On Cheating <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/opinion/20lipsyte.html?_r=2&hp>
Sam Lipsyte, New York Times

However friendly and interactive that Monopoly tower might seem, maybe our own kids will work together to do an end run around the authoritarian monolith in the center of their world. And after they’ve torn down that huge plastic hegemon, they can all pass Go and head to the kitchen for equal shares of oatmeal cookies.

**** Singapore’s Rules Liberate, They Don't Oppress <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/fine-city-indeed-where-only-thing-opressive-heat-485690>
Glenn Connley, CNNGo

The thing I love most of all about Singapore is the low tolerance to the moronic behavior which is ruining other cities. I love feeling secure wherever I go.

**** The Siren Song Of The Bath Toy <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/books/21book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Janet Maslin, New York Times

Here’s an important point about Mr. Hohn’s many and varied subsequent travels and observations: He was not one of those journalists who dream up make-work projects and seek out exploits that can be turned into amusing reading. “Moby-Duck” makes him sound genuinely open-minded, inquisitive and eager to expand his own understanding of the freakish event on which he’d grown fixated.

**** Singapore - Before And After 1985 <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/02/singapore-before-and-after-1985.html>
Tan Kin Lian

The Singapore system started to deteriorate after 1985. The first generation leader (except for LKY) stepped down from office and was replaced by a new generation of elite leaders. This was followed by the introduction of bad policies, such as the graduate mother policy, asset enhancement scheme, increase in health care and transport cost (COE, ERP, privatization of transport companies) and the GRC system of election.

**** Free Money From The Government. Really? <http://richineverysense.blogspot.com/2011/02/free-money-from-government-really.html>
Rich In Every Sense

**** The Future Of Singapore - A View From A Young Singaporean <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/02/future-of-singapore-view-from-young.html>
Tan Kin Lian

**** Truly & Really Re-generating S’pore <http://singaporegirl.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/truly-really-re-generating-spore/>
Food Fuels Me To Talk...

I had written previously that it’s nuts for the garmen to promise affordable housing for all and that it should concentrate its efforts on the bottom 20%. Today, I’m revising that to Yes to a roof for all. But no to home-ownership for all.

**** Deterring Fraud In Statutory Boards: Beyond Whistleblowing <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/deterring-fraud-in-statutory-boards-beyond-whistleblowing/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

**** The Lights Above And Below The Clouds <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/the-lights-above-and-below-the-clouds/>
Words Of The Cze

**** Tharman’s $3100 Real Median Income Target: Back To The Future? <http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/tharmans-3100-real-median-income-target-back-to-the-future/>
Furry Brown Dog

Thus, when we see in Singapore Budget 2011 an apparent limited revival of the 1980s high-wage policies, a good question to ask is, exactly how much of the proposed 10-year 30% median wage increase would go into CPF? Now, unlike then, Singaporeans are no longer able to take out all their CPF money due to the establishment of CPF Life and the Minimum Sum, and unless CPF is reformed for the sake of funding retirement for Singaporeans, it’s serves as nothing more than a cheap source of investment funds for GIC.

To add to that, note that a 10-year real 30% median wage increase would amount to a mere compounded annual average of 2.6%, which by itself is already lower than the average take-home pay increment of 3% or higher from 1979-1981 and for much of the 1980s. It’s worth asking in addition if the bar was set deliberately low so that it may be conceivably achieved with much fanfare.

**** 吕德耀:为加强社会凝聚力 电视公共服务节目 继续可获政府津贴 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110221_009.shtml>
吴淑贤, 联合早报

新闻、通信及艺术部长吕德耀昨午受访时说,收音机与电视执照费的取消之后,政府每年估计会损失约1亿2000万元收入,不过政府会拨款来补贴这笔损失。

他指出,公共服务节目其实广受欢迎,在最受观众欢迎的10个节目中,约七到八个获得公共服务广播津贴。

**** 坊间盛传大选在5月举行 行动党候选人纷亮相? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110221_004.shtml>
周殊钦 林诗慧 林慧慧, 联合早报

政府将在新财政年的预算案中与民分享总值高达66亿元的财政盈余,其中在32亿元的一次性“增长共享”配套下分发的增长分红,将在5月1日之前送到国人手上,人们由此纷纷猜测大选即将在5月间举行,而不少被视为可能成为执政的人民行动党在大选时推出参选的“新脸孔”,也纷纷趁着周末在不同选区的社区活动上亮相。

**** 吴资政:对不买房不买车的人 通涨率仅2%至3% <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110221_002.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

不少人都对今年上半年预计将达到4%至5%的通货膨胀率感到担忧,但国务资政吴作栋昨晚指出不买房也不买车的人所面对的通涨率将只是2%至3%。

**** Editorial Indiscretions By The Straits Times <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/02/editorial-indiscretions-by-straits.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

The percentage of Singapore residents who consider themselves financially ready for retirement is the lowest not only in the Asia-Pacific region, but the lowest in the world.

**** Battlestar Galactica Takes To The Skies Again <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/02/21/battlestar-galactica-takes-to-the-skies-again/>
Ewen Boey, Yahoo!

Adrenaline junkies will be happy to know that the Battlestar Galactica ride at Universal Studios Singapore (USS) resumes operations starting today.

**** A Bird’s-eye View Of The Budget – Addendum <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/a-birds-eye-view-of-the-budget-addendum/>
Yawning Bread

**** High Court To Rule On Political Freedom In Singapore <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4621-high-court-to-rule-on-political-freedom-in-singapore>
Singapore Democratic Party

**** Don't Go Out To Splurge, Says SM <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110222-0000184/Dont-go-out-to-splurge,-says-SM>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

Mr Goh said that having good economic growth - coupled with a strong Singapore dollar - would help mitigate imported inflation. Pointing out that the Growth Dividends would alleviate families' financial outlay, Mr Goh added: "Don't go out to splurge … (this will) put pressure on inflation. Spend what you have to spend."