[MyAppleMenu] Feb 1, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 1 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Cool Products At Macworld 2011 <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11934?rss>
TidBITS

Face it, we can talk about how useful Macworld 2011 was in terms of education and business networking (and that’s true), but a huge part of the enjoyment of Macworld Expo is seeing cool new products. Or really strange products. Either way, here are our picks for the best, the worst, and the silliest products, and those things that just tickled our fancy in one way or another.

**** MacBook Air Suspended From Balloon In Apple Store Display <http://mashable.com/2011/01/31/macbook-air-balloon/>
Todd Wasserman, Mashable

**** Macworld 2011 Successful, But Needs To Keep Evolving <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11930?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

That then is IDG World Expo’s continuing challenge: to figure out and provide the excuse for users—and companies—in the Apple space to get together once a year. I can’t speak for others, but for us, even beyond TidBITS coverage, Macworld Expo is a huge chance to business networking with sponsors, authors, service suppliers, and companies with whom we’ll work in the future. We would survive without that face time, but it’s so much more efficient to be able to meet with partners from all around the world over the course of a few days.

**** Redesigning OSX Spaces: 45Ëš Is All It Takes <http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/redesigning-spaces/>
Aza Raskin

No matter which space I am in, the keyboard shortcut to move to any other space is always the same.

**** Microsoft And Apple, Tech's Odd Couple, Have Successful Collaboration <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_17220755?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1>
John Boudreau, San Jose Mercury News

While Apple and Microsoft devotees sneer at each other in online posts, and Apple CEO Steve Jobs and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates have sniped at each other in the past, scores of Apple and Microsoft engineers have for years worked together behind enemy lines.

**** Ten Mac OSX Applications I Couldn't Live Without <http://www.thurn.ca/ten_mac_osx_applications_i_couldnt_live_without>
Derek Thurn

**** Magic Launch File Utility Review <http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/magic_launch_file_utility_review>
Adam Berenstain, Mac Life

Magic Launch brings the good old days back—with a twist. It’s a handy System Preferences pane that binds documents to their parent applications or to any app you choose, all according to flexible rules you can customize to suit your workflow.

**** “Apple Is Evil! Boycott The iPad! – Sent From My iPad” <http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/01/i-quit-quitting-the-ipad/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

Here’s the thing: apps like this have actually never been allowed to sell their content within their apps. Instead, Amazon’s Kindle app dumps you out onto the web where you have to buy it. So there’s absolutely no difference there.

Now, if Apple were to block the Kindle app from recognizing content bought outside of iTunes (through Amazon) that would be a change of policy. And yes, that would be very annoying. But it’s simply not clear if that’s the case yet.

**** Five Free Videoconferencing Solutions For Mac Users <http://www.macworld.com/article/157478/2011/02/videoconferencing_alternatives.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

The intrepid Macworld staff has scoured the Internets to bring you five alternatives to Skype that will let you create a videoconference with your friends while still preserving the sanctity of your wallet. Some of the options are obvious ones, while others are a bit off the beaten path. In all cases, this article only focuses on applications and services that allow multiple users to be connected together in a videoconference, rather than just simple one-to-one conversations.

**** Apple On Sony Reader: “We Have Not Changed Our Guidelines” <http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20110201/apple-on-sony-reader-we-have-not-changed-our-guidelines/>
John Paczkowski, Wall Street Journal

Apple’s made no change to its App Store guidelines–it’s simply enforcing a rule that’s been in them all along: Apps that allow their users to purchase content, functionality or services must use Apple’s In App Purchase API. “We have not changed our developer terms or guidelines,” company spokesperson Trudy Muller told me. “We are now requiring that if an app offers customers the ability to purchase books outside of the app, that the same option is also available to customers from within the app with in-app purchase.”

Which means Apple is either trying to boost its revenues–it will take a 30 percent cut of all transactions conducted on iOS devices–or it’s trying to make the iOS ecosystem much less pleasant for certain outsiders; note that Muller’s statement is specific to books.

**** Roses <http://www.slate.com/id/2283313/?from=rss>
Billy Collins, Slate

**** 在家小量制糕饼卖给亲友虽不犯法 网络推销家制糕饼属违例 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110201_013.shtml>
魏瑜嶙, 联合早报

大致而言,只要不将组屋改变成一个烘焙坊以及不对其他居民造成影响,建屋局允许住户在住家内小规模地烘制糕饼然后卖给亲友,无需另外取得建屋局批准。

不过,建屋局的条例中列明,在家烘制糕饼来售卖的住户也必须同时遵守其他相关单位的规定。例如,遵守国家环境局不允许住户公开售卖或通过包括网络在内的大众传媒来为食品做宣传的条例。

**** Singapore Leaders Calm Waves After Lee Annoys Muslims <http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asiapacific/features/article_1616094.php/Singapore-leaders-calm-waves-after-Lee-annoys-Muslims-Feature>
DPA

Singapore leaders have been busy in recent days currying favour with the city-state's Malay Muslim community after state founder Lee Kuan Yew stirred uproar with remarks on Muslims, claiming their piety hindered their full integration into Singaporean society.

His comments annoyed Muslims, prompting some strong reactions in local internet forums.

**** AMP's Response To PM Lee's Statement On The Issue Of Integration Between Malay/Muslims And Other Communities <http://www.amp.org.sg/amp07/web/view/main.asp?id=ART00002-2011>
Association Of Muslim Professionals

This reaffirmation is an important one, given that Mr Lee Kuan Yew is a senior member of Cabinet and the first prime minister in Singapore and that his views on the MMC and integration could shape the views of younger Singaporeans in particular.

**** Demolition Man VS DeMolitician Girl <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/demolition-man-vs-demolitician-girl/>
Molitics

**** The Case For Fixed Election Dates And The Fallacy Of “Asian Values” <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/02/the-case-for-fixed-election-dates-and-the-fallacy-of-“asian-values”/>
Davin Ng, The Online Citizen

So, I must put forth this question: Why the secrecy, shiftiness and all these hints? Why can’t we set a concrete, fixed election date? Would it not make sense to get rid of this shiftiness and make it fairer for all by settling on one fixed date?

**** A Night In Singapore, In Spain <http://chubbyhubby.net/blog/?p=638>
Chubby Hubby

Hola! I have just returned from a jam-packed week in Madrid, Spain. My colleagues and I were there to organize a super-cool culinary event that was also used as the launch pad for a whole series of even cooler food initiatives.

**** Record Job Vacancies = Declining Wages? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/02/record-job-vacancies-declining-wages/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

Since the services share of vacancies increased steadily from 68 per cent in 2006 to 75 per cent in 2010, reflecting the “growing importance of the service economy”, I thus refer that most of the job vacancies may be for lower paying jobs.

Many probably don’t earn enough to support their family. With reference to this statement: “Amid the tighter labor market, one in three (33 per cent) vacancies in 2010 were unfilled for at least six months,” one of the primary contributing factors to the tight labour market may be declining wages in jobs which pay so little. Hence this results in workers not being able to survive and feed their families, assuming they took on such jobs.

**** Silver Lining Behind MM Lee’s Controversial Comments <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/02/01/silver-lining-behind-mm-lees-controversial-comments/>
Faris, Yahoo!

I recognise that MM Lee’s views, and those of his generation, are shaped by their struggle for independence in post-war Malaya and the bitter separation from Malaysia. After all, in those days, where survival was paramount, Singaporeans were segregated. But it is not who we young Muslims are now.

The one good thing that has emerged from the hullabaloo over MM Lee’s remarks is that, while controversial, they have stirred fierce debate and discussion, which builds upon the framework of our current understanding and inter-connectedness.

**** CPF Savings Insufficient For Retirement: Survey <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1108237/1/.html>
Travis Teo, Channel NewsAsia

Singaporeans believe that they will have to work for as long as they can to supplement their retirement income. This is according to a survey by Citibank Singapore. According to the survey, seven in 10 believe their CPF savings will provide only some or little of their retirement income.

**** Wrong Line Of Defense <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2011/02/wrong-line-of-defense.html>
Musings From The Lion City

Anyone who read the book could tell you this; the MM’s views on the Muslim community are not a “worst-case scenario”. At no time in the book was it stated by the MM that his view was a “worst-case scenario.” If the main man did not call his views a “worst-case scenario,” the Singapore government can’t. No one who read the book will agree with them.

**** Malaysia Did Not Sabotage Singapore, Says Dr M <http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/malaysia-did-not-sabotage-singapore-says-dr-m/>
Shazwan Mustafa Kamal, The Malaysian Insider

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed has denied claims that his administration campaigned to harm Singapore’s economy by boycotting the island-state’s shipping port. "What Malaysia and Indonesia did was not sabotage but competition."