[MyAppleMenu] Apr 25, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 25 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Additional iPhone Tracking Research <http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/04/more-iphone-tracking-research.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+oreilly%2Fdigitalmedia%2Fmac+%28O%27Reilly+Digital+Media%3A+Mac%29>
Pete Warden, O'Reilly Radar

As we mentioned in our original video, this was what we expected on the iPhone when we found the file, and it was the sheer scale and duration of the recording that floored us, along with how easy it was to access on your computer.

**** HazeOver Dims Background Windows To Help You Focus <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/25/hazeover-dims-background-windows-to-help-you-focus/>
Samuel Gibbs, TUAW

Have you ever wished that you could fade out non-active windows in the background, leaving you to focus on the task at hand? HazeOver does just that in a simple and Mac-like fashion.

**** World Of Goo HD Review <http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=888202>
Sam Felsing, Macworld

Let’s be clear about one thing—2D Boy’s World of Goo HD is one of the best puzzle games for the iPad. With a recent update that makes this version of the app run on the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touches, it may be one of the best puzzle games in the App Store.

**** iTunes Track Number Column Doesn’t Fit Numbers Over 999 <http://www.mcelhearn.com/2011/04/25/itunes-track-number-column-doesnt-fit-numbers-over-999/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** Rubbernet Monitors Your Mac's Bandwidth Usage <http://www.macworld.com/article/159454/2011/04/rubbernet_monitors_mac_bandwidth_usage.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Augmented Reality App Keeps Libraries Tidy <http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/04/augmented-reality-app-keeps-li.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news>
Frank Swain, New Scientists

Bo Brinkman, a computer scientist at Miami University has developed an augmented reality (AR) app which he hopes can facilitate and speed up the job of finding misplaced books and returning them to their rightful place. The app, called ShelvAR, scans a dozen book spines at once and detects errant titles. Viewing the shelf through a tablet PC, the user sees incorrectly-filed books highlighted, and on-screen arrows point to their correct place on the shelf.

**** "Moral Combat": How Immoral Was The Second World War? <http://www.salon.com/books/2011/04/24/moral_combat_michael_burleigh/index.html>
Meredith Hindley, Salon

It's not uncommon for those studying or reading about World War II to ponder the question, "What would I do?" Would I have helped the Jews? Would I have dropped the atomic bomb? Would I have made a deal with Stalin? These moral questions are precisely the ones that concern Michael Burleigh, noted historian of the Third Reich, in his new book, "Moral Combat: Good and Evil in World War II". In writing what he calls "a moral history of the Second World War," Burleigh sets out to excavate the "prevailing moral sentiment of entire societies and their leaderships, and how this changed under the impact of both ideology and total war."

**** My Mom Couldn't Cook <http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/moms-cooking-082410>
Tom Junod, Esquire

This, however, is not a story of my cooking, or the odd combination of freedom and thralldom it confers. It's the story of what — or who — inspired my decision to be my family's cook, gave me the will to do it, and made it both a practical and, apparently, a psychological necessity. It is the story of my mother — of my mother's cooking.

**** Applications To Hold Election Meetings Open On Nomination Day <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110425-0000029/Applications-to-hold-election-meetings-open-on-Nomination-Day>
Today

There will be eight days of indoor or outdoor "election meetings", which can include townhalls or rallies, in the lead-up to the General Election. A police statement yesterday said that, from Nomination Day onwards, candidates or their election agents may apply to hold such "election meetings" between 7am and 10pm from Thursday, April 28 to Thursday, May 5.

**** A Test Of MM's Standing <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/04/test-of-mms-standing.html>
Singapore Notes

The real unhappiness is with nice paying jobs that go to foreigners instead of equally qualified local born and bred Singaporeans, for a plethora of lame excuses such as they are handicapped with the demands of reservist training. Ask any recruiting outfit that is honest about their hiring practice. The types that are not afraid to tell the emperor he is not wearing clothes.

**** We're Looking For Sincerity, Maturity In Younger Candidates <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110425-0000133/Were-looking-for-sincerity,-maturity-in-younger-candidates>
Rakesh Raveendran, Today

I agree with Ms Tan that experience is important, but experience alone does not make one electoral candidate better than another. Ms Tin has had more experience with grassroots work but this does not seem to show in her response to questions from the media.

I have seen both these candidates' videos on the Internet. Ms Seah responds to the media's questions with an insightful understanding of the issues which makes one wonder that she is only 24 years old. Sometimes, the value of experience cannot be measured by one's age or the length of involvement, but level of understanding and the commitment to learn and act wisely as one goes along.

**** Tan Jee Say’s Paper On New Economy – Reproduced Here In Full <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/tan-jee-says-paper-on-new-economy-reproduced-here-in-full/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

**** Vivian Balakrishnan: <i>Failed</i> As A Minister <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6616>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Dr Balakrishnan has failed to uphold the mission of MCYS since he was appointed Minister in April 2005. His failure to care for the poor and underprivileged, and his inept administration of the Youth Olympic Games, are but two very glaring examples

In April 2010, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan criticized alternative media channels (such as TOC) for selective reporting of the plight of the homeless in Singapore, when in reality it is actually the government that has taken a reactive approach to dealing with the homeless situation, as opposed to a proactive approach. Under Dr Balakrishnan, the original budget for the YOG tripled to over $400 million. The PAP, which has accused the opposition of trying to raid the reserves, conveniently ignores this blatant raid on its own budget.

In addition, Dr Balakrishnan failed to give full accountability for the food poisoning incident which affected YOG volunteers, and it is not known whether any of them were adequately compensated for this gross negligence.

**** I Owned Up, I Took Responsibility For Mas Selamat Affair: DPM Wong <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110425-0000182/I-owned-up,-I-took-responsibility-for-Mas-Selamat-affair--DPM-Wong>
Shamir Osman, Today

Public accountability was a key issue raised in the SPP manifesto and Mr Wong reiterated that the Government "is not afraid to tell the people the truth and (is one) that will learn from the mistakes".

"I think people will look at that and see, on the whole, based on what I've done here for the last 27 years; and is that one lapse by a department fatal to their decision on electing me or not?" he asked.

**** More Thorough Access To Parliamentary Records, Please <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110425-0000245/More-thorough-access-to-parliamentary-records,-please>
Tan Eng Keong, Today

Why is it difficult for the public to fully access the laws of Singapore or the Parliamentary Record, when these are surely of public interest? The Hansard is of greater interest now due to the upcoming elections, as citizens would want to know which MPs have spoken up on which issues in the past.

**** Netizens Attempt To Identify Video SDP Accused Of 'Suppressing' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110425-0000184/Netizens-attempt-to-identify-video-SDP-accused-of-suppressing>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

It is a six-minute video clip - posted on YouTube on April 14 - of what appears to be a recording of a forum discussing whether Section 377A of Singapore's penal code, which criminalises sex between men, violates the Republic's Constitution.

Is this the video which Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian Balakrishnan was referring to in a news report published yesterday?

**** Vivian Slithers In The Gutter, SDP On Knife-edge, Part 1 <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/vivian-slithers-in-the-gutter-sdp-on-knife-edge-part-1/>
Yawning Bread

Pandering to prejudice segues very easily into championing sectarian interests. Playing up sexual orientation today gives the green light to playing up other personal markers tomorrow, and next thing we know, we’ll be talking about racial identity with slurs about half-breeds, religious affiliation with sneers about converts, marital status with snide remarks about divorce and single-parenthood.

If that’s the kind of political culture we want for Singapore, count me out.

**** Vivian Slithers In The Gutter, SDP On Knife-edge, Part 2 <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/vivian-slithers-in-the-gutter-sdp-on-knife-edge-part-2/>
Yawning Bread

For a party that has long advocated that Singaporeans are ready to be a mature, democratic society, the SDP should not fear small-mindedness out there. I think the surest way to distinguish the party from the PAP is to be the exact opposite of Vivian Balakrishnan’s record. I think the party will be surprised how understanding people can be about sexuality, about life’s learning journeys and about the need to bridge differences. What people will not understand is how a party that has long argued for transparency and respect for people’s intellect, suddenly finds it so hard to live up to these noble ideals.

**** List What PAP Has Done For The Last 5 Years <http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3203099>
Hardware Zone

**** Mah Bow Tan Under The Spotlight <http://satayclub.net/2011/04/mah-under-the-spotlight/>
Nigel Tan, Satayclub.net

Mr Mah’s “raiding the reserves” argument is at best tenuous and at worst completely preposterous. What he is saying, albeit in a convoluted and circular manner, is that the national coffers must continue to be fattened at the expense of ordinary Singaporeans who are already struggling to make ends meet thanks to soaring inflation and depressed wages.

**** SDP Hits Back At PAP’s Criticisms <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/sdp-hits-back-pap-criticisms-141142593.html>
Faris Mokhtar, Yahoo!

When asked if the policy is more of a theory than realistically applicable, Tan Jee Say argued that it has been practiced in other countries. "Nothing in my paper is only theory, it is a good theory but it's the basis of implementation and I don't think a minimum wage law is theoretical stuff. It has been in practiced in other countries. Even Hong Kong, who is concerned with global competition, is introducing minimum wage law. You mean to say we have minimum wage law, investors will run away, come on. Look at the facts; look at the experiences of other countries," he said.

Addressing the ruling party's concerns of a freak election, Dr Wijeyasingha said that the PAP's understanding of a freak result is when the returning candidates will serve the people of Singapore, instead of serving the interests of the PAP. "When you have one particular group of people who are in power and they don't want the people to have their say in regular general elections, then a decision against the status quo is seen as a freak result," he added.

**** GE: Public Advised To Arrive At Nomination Centres After 10am On Nomination Day <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124684/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Troll Spotted: Facebook War For GE 2011 <http://defragmenting.blogspot.com/2011/04/troll-spotted-facebook-war-for-ge-2011.html>
Defragmenting

**** Nicole Seah Is Turning Out To Be The People’s Princess <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/04/25/nicole-seah-is-turning-out-to-be-the-peoples-princess/>
Singapore Actually

I can see that she is driven to protect the ones who will need her help the most in society. The people who are hidden from society. Who lay at their fringes and margins. I would love to see these people helped first and foremost. That’s only the right thing to do. We can’t have homeless people who set up camp at the beach.

**** From Greed To Fear <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/04/from-greed-to-fear.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

With the GRCs, it was a miracle formula to ensure victory in the GE. The advantages to a big and strong party were obvious. How could the opposition parties find that numerous good candidates to stand in a GRC? How could they raise the money, at $16k for a 6 member GRC it comes to $96k, to lose. The barrier to entry is raised higher and higher with each election.

But things are not working out as they were supposed to. The trump card of a GRC, a minister, is turning from an advantage to an Achilles’ heel. Several ministers will not only be unable to helm a GRC, they will become a liability and guarantee its defeat. That is how bad it has become. I may be wrong if you see how confident they are in their walkabouts, like they are definitely going to be elected.

**** How Many Ministers And MPs Does It Take To Open A Carpark? <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/04/how-many-ministers-and-mps-does-it-take-to-open-a-carpark.html>
mrbrown

**** It's Not Just About Credentials <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_660725.html>
Tham Chuey Peng, Straits Times

While it may appear that voters could adopt double standards when assessing candidates, it is important to note that most voters are not ignorant. Sometimes, a candidate wins an election because of the effort he puts in, more than what he appears to be on paper.

Having a less impressive set of credentials could make some voters sceptical about a candidate's intellectual capability, but it is definitely not the single determining factor to voters when deciding if a candidate should or should not go on to win an election.

**** War Without Words <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/04/war-without-words.html>
Singapore Notes

**** First World Parliament: Let Voters Decide <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_660728.html>
Png Eng Huat, Workers' Party, Straits Times

The simple truth is that a First World government cannot exist without a First World Parliament to check and balance its policymaking process. And a First World Parliament cannot exist where the ruling party is really 100 per cent in control. This is our fundamental belief.

When the ruling party consistently tightens its grip on power using the Group Representation Constituency system and gerrymandering, we know whose future the party is really trying to protect. With a majority of 82 out of 84 seats in the last Parliament, the PAP does not need to fight for our future; it will simply define our future. That is the hard and inconvenient truth without a First World Parliament.

**** 大选2011 林瑞莲:讨论组屋价课题 重点应是人们多久能还清房贷? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110425_010.shtml>
何惜薇, 联合早报

林瑞莲昨天在介绍工人党第四批候选人的记者会上说,工人党重视该课题是因为不少家长都关心孩子的未来,尤其是孩子未来是否能负担得起组屋。

“我不认为当年成立建屋发展局是为了让人们拥有高价值的资产,建屋局的首要任务应该是提供大家负担得起的住屋。如果这的确是主要目标,就应该回到收入(的考量),看看人们是否负担得起组屋,以及他们需要用多久来偿还组屋的贷款。我们正设法把讨论带回到最基本(的关注点)。”

**** Long-time PAP Supporter Disappointed With Mah <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/long-time-pap-supporter-disappointed-with-mah/>
D Lim, The Online Citizen

In summary, as a long-time PAP supporter, it is somewhat disappointing that Mr Mah has chosen to skirt the issue and serve up populist appeals with scare-mongering tactics, rather than to seriously address a serious issue for thinking voters.

**** The “Freak Result” Bogeyman <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/the-freak-result-bogeyman/>
Ng E-Jay, The Online Citizen

A genuine alternative voice can only come about if Singaporeans elect a fair number of opposition MPs into Parliament.

A freak election result happens not when the opposition gains power, but when the people have cast their vote decisively but their will is not translated into actual political change.

A freak election result is not possible in a functioning, mature democracy. By even suggesting that such an outcome is possible, Dr Ng has indirectly rubbished the very electoral system his government has created. That really is quite a shame.

**** Be Very, Very Afraid Of The Electorate <https://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/be-very-very-afraid-of-the-electorate/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

**** Gridlock? In The Singapore Parliament? – That’s A Red Herring <http://article14.blogspot.com/2011/04/gridlock-in-singapore-parliament-thats.html>
Article 14

**** Exposing The PAP’s Hypocrisy In Hougang <http://whyliddat.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/exposing-the-pap-in-hougang/>
Why Liddat?

**** Bedroom Monsters <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/bedroom-monsters/>
Groundnotes

It’s been a week since Polling Day was announced and already we’ve been treated to a smorgasbord of bedroom monsters of all sorts.

**** A Tale Of Two Women <http://harishpillay.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/a-tale-of-two-women/>
Harish Pillay, Life One Degree North, One-O-Three Degrees East

I rather pay the price of inducting a group of newbies who will be able to be guided and molded by the wishes of the people, than with a cast-in-stone attitudes of incumbents for more of the same. Yes, it is a bitter pill, but as in any form of decision making and picking choices, the perceived harder choices are usually the ones that give long term benefits.

**** Reluctance To Debate: An Ironic Statement At This Time? <http://threeinonekopiguy.blogspot.com/2011/04/reluctance-to-debate-ironic-statement.html>
Three In One Kopi Guy

**** Things They Say – Lui Tuck Yew 1 <http://hunboon.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/things-they-say-lui-tuck-yew-1/>
Hun Boon's Blog

For all intent and purposes, Lui was chosen by the PAP and not by Singaporeans. His election battle was fought in the PAP tea sessions. Therefore, it is conceivable that he feels that his loyalty lies with the ruling party, and not Singaporeans.

**** Singapore Pte Ltd – A Letter <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/singapore-pte-ltd-–-a-letter/>
Samuel Lai, The Online Citizen

You forget that Singapore is not a corporation, but a community of individual human beings who have feelings, who can discern between what is good for us and what is not, what is fair and unfair. We, who have basic needs to have a roof put over our heads, and food to eat, have willingly contributed to your goal of building up the nation’s economy not because we are your employees but because we want Singapore to prosper, to achieve the vision of a first-world nation in which its citizens do not have negative emotions of fear, fear to vote, fear to speak freely, fear of the struggles of putting food on our table.

**** The People's Team <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4757-the-peoples-team>
Singapore Democratic Party

Sembawang residents have to question Mr Khaw whether he is genuinely sincere in helping the residents there or if he is merely using the plans to score political points. If he was sincere then why did he wait until the SDP's announcement of our plans to contest there? And why wait until the elections to announce these plans? If the SDP had not contested the ward, would the announcement still have been made?

Dr Gomez took the issue further: "The SDP would like to ask PAP's Sembawang GRC team how they came up with this sum of $500 million. Where does this $500 million come from and what is the breakdown? Who or which agency is contributing to this $500 million? I am sure the residents of Sembawang and the Singapore public as a whole would like to know."

**** Why Nicole Seah, Crystal Chow And Students Matter <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/why-nicole-seah-crystal-chow-and-students-matter/>
Karen Tse, The Online Citizen

I do not care for Nicole’s academic achievements and rhetoric more than her contributions to the Campus Observer and the reasons she cited for drawing her into politics. She dared to stand for something in a society that calls for blind obedience and passivity. Although I am not eligible to vote, I give her three thumbs up. Yes, I am borrowing your thumb.

**** HDB – S’poreans’ Billions Of ‘Reserves’ Raided? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/hdb-sporeans-billions-of-reserves-raided/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Hanging Mules In Singapore <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3148&Itemid=195>
Lynn Lee, Asia Sentinel

It's not clear how many drug mules Singapore sends to the gallows each year, since the government doesn't publish figures. But the city-state and neighboring Malaysia have some of the most draconian drug laws in the world. Supporters say they are necessary in order to prevent what Singapore's Law Minister K Shanmugum describes as an "unstoppable stream of people" from dealing drugs.

Opponents disagree. They say the law targets those low down in the supply chain – mules like Chun Yin who may or may not be aware of what they were carrying – while allowing the real culprits to go free. Cheong says Chun Yin was tricked by an acquaintance who had promised him a holiday in Burma and a nice bit of cash in exchange for carrying gold bars into Singapore. The father and son duo ran a small but profitable business selling DVDs across the strait in Johor Bahru and were not desperate for money. Cheong says he didn't want Chun Yin to go but relented in the end.

Activists say Chun Yin's case is a classic example of how drug laws, enacted to protect the general population, can lead to an injustice. The presumption of guilt is hard to rebut. Couple that with the fact that a judge's hands are tied when it comes to sentencing, and the odds are stacked against the mule. The intention to commit a crime might not be relevant so long as an accused person is caught with the requisite amount of drugs.

**** PAP Flags – Contravening Parliamentary Elections Act? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/pap-flags-contravening-parliamentary-elections-act/>
The Online Citizen

Members of the public have observed that party flags of the People’s Action Party (PAP) are being displayed around Singapore. The question some are asking is whether such display of party flags constitute a contravention of the Parliamentary Elections Act (PEA).

**** PAP On Wijeysingha Video: Candidates Should Be Upfront About Motives <http://www.todayonline.com/SingaporeVotes/EDC110425-0000863/PAP-on-Wijeysingha-video--Candidates-should-be-upfront-about-motives>
Today

"We believe that candidates should be upfront about their political agenda and motives, so that voters are able to make an informed choice.

"The issue is not Wijeysingha's sexual orientation. That is a matter for him.

"The video raises the question on whether Wijeysingha will now pursue this cause in the political arena and what is the SDP's position on the matter."

**** Singapore’s Death Penalty: Opportunity For Change? <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/singapore-death-penalty-opportunity-change-152339052.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

Cases of wrongful executions, such as that of Chiang Kuo-ching in Taiwan, have given impetus to the global campaign to abolish capital punishment.

Campaigners in Singapore can be hopeful that eventually the city-state will have to turn in the same direction as most countries which have already done away with the mandatory death penalty, and that more people are being made aware of the flaws in the laws through heightened public awareness.

**** Singapore's March CPI Up 5% On-year, 0.1% On-month <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124695/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's consumer price index rose five per cent on year in March, after a similar five per cent rise in February. DOS said the higher costs of housing, clothing and footwear, as well as "recreation and others" was partially offset by the lower cost of transport.

**** The Logistics Behind The Campaign And Importance Of Volunteers.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/04/logistics-behind-campaign-and.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

If you want your party to win and represent you in parliament, there is more you can do than voting for them. For the opposition parties competing against a well oil engine with vast resources, they need many hands to help run the campaign. Posters don't magically hang themselves on lamp-posts, flyers don't distribute themselves,and it is in our hands to make the playing field level.

**** GE: SPP's Alex Tan Likely To Be In RP Team To Contest Ang Mo Kio GRC <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124708/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

**** GE: Reform Party Former Vice-chairman Alec Tok Joins SDP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124726/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** GE: Workers' Party's Final Batch Of Candidates <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124727/1/.html>
Ken Teh, Channel NewsAsia

The party's star catch and much talked about candidate, Chen Show Mao, a 50-year-old corporate lawyer, was also unveiled on Monday.

The Workers' Party is fielding a total of 23 candidates for the election, making this the party's largest slate of candidates since the 1988 General Election.

**** GE: SDA Pulls Out Of Tanjong Pagar Contest <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124749/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) has confirmed it will not be contesting in the Tanjong Pagar Group Representation Constituency (GRC) in the May 7 election.

Speaking to MediaCorp, SDA's assistant secretary-general Nazem Suki said they have not managed to raise enough funds for the contest.

**** GE: Elections Department Reminds Candidates Of Nomination Day Procedures <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124758/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Candidates taking part in the General Election have been reminded by the Elections Department to ensure that their documents to be presented to the Returning Officer at their designated Nomination Centre on Wednesday are in order.

**** PAP's Constitutency Plans A Political Gimmick <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4763-paps-constitutency-plans-a-political-gimmick>
James Gomez, Singapore Democratic Party

**** What An MP’s Visit To Our Condo Was Like <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/mp-visit-condo-102111528.html>
Benjamin "Mr Miyagi" Lee, Yahoo!

**** Housing Statistics Don't Capture Some Real Issues <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110425-0000909/Housing-statistics-dont-capture-some-real-issues>
Loh Huashan, Today

First of all, people who are unable to afford public housing will not enter the market at all, thus not contributing to the statistics. Like me, they may instead look at squeezing in with one's parents or renting a place, which may not be the ideal conditions for starting a family.

Secondly, such statistics ignore first-time home buyers who have had to go into the red-hot resale market due to the under-supply of new flats. A recent Build-to-Order (BTO) project in March 2011 was over-subscribed by more than 10 times, and this has been the trend over recent years.

What I would have preferred to hear from Mr Mah is how the HDB is planning to achieve its primary objective of providing affordable housing to the people, now and in the long run.

**** Dr Balakrishnan, Y U NO PLAY FAIR? <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/04/25/dr-balakrishnan-y-u-no-play-fair/>
Funny Little World

If Dr Balakrishnan had been really so concerned about the SDP’s stance on the issue of 377A and gay rights, he could have just come out and say so. Beating about the bush like this and getting people to guess, before finally coming out to “reveal” the video is just playing up homophobic sentiments.

Besides, it’s no secret that the SDP supports the repeal of Section 377A; they have been clear with their stance as far back as 2007, and their stance was again reiterated in 2009. So why the fuss, Dr Balakrishnan? I can only conclude that it all has to do with Dr Wijeysingha’s candidacy. In which case, the claim that it is not about Dr Wijeysingha’s sexual orientation is disingenuous.

**** Disgust And Loathing In Singapore <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2011/04/disgust-and-loathing-in-singapore.html>
Siew Kum Hong

I hope -- no, I trust and believe -- that Singaporeans will see through this PAP statement for what it is. Now that the SDP has posted its response, the ball is really in the PAP's court. Will the PAP retract its statement? Will the PAP apologise? Will the PAP understand that there will be a backlash to this, the same way there was a backlash to their efforts to demonise James Gomez in 2006?

Well, we can all let the PAP know exactly what we think of this. Speak up, whether online or in the papers. Ask your grassroots leaders what they think about it, and whether they agree with the tactics apologised. Ask the next PAP candidate who asks for your vote, what he/she thinks about this and when the PAP will apologise. Ask the PM if the government's stand on all this has changed, since he presumably had the last word on this during the Section 377A debate in 2007.

**** Vivian’s Bomb Goes Boo Boo <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/vivians-bomb-goes-boo-boo/>
Yawning Bread

Vincent Wijeysingha did not speak up until two and a half minutes later, by which time the discussion had moved on to other issues. To try to impute that Wijeysingha was supporting the non-existent call to lower the age of consent is like trying to fetch water from the moon.