[MyAppleMenu] Apr 22, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 22 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Apple Releases iBooks 1.2.2 Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/159411/2011/04/ibooks_122.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

iBooks 1.2.2 includes “a number of important stability and performance improvements” for playing video with enhanced books from the iBookstore, incorrect fonts being displayed, and navigational responsiveness.

**** Samsung Sues Apple On Patents <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703983704576277863329446914.html>
Evan Ramstad, Wall Street Journal

Samsung Electronics Co. said Friday it filed patent infringement lawsuits against Apple Inc. in Seoul, Tokyo and Germany, in apparent response to Apple's suit against it over trademark issues in the U.S. earlier this week.

The Samsung lawsuits don't directly respond to the Apple suit. Instead, they accuse Apple of violating patents covering cellphone transmission technologies.

**** A Shopping List For Apple’s Growing War Chest <http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/a-shopping-list-for-apples-growing-war-chest/>
Evelyn M. Rusli, New York Times

**** Apple, Google Collect User Data <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703983704576277101723453610.html#ixzz1KD2hkiTa>
Julia Angwin And Jennifer Valentino-Devries, Wall Street Journal

Apple Inc.'s iPhones and Google Inc.'s Android smartphones regularly transmit their locations back to Apple and Google, respectively, according to data and documents analyzed by The Wall Street Journal—intensifying concerns over privacy and the widening trade in personal data.

**** Capster 1.6.5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/159419/2011/04/capster.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Launch Capster—it can run invisibly as a background-only application—and if you press the caps-lock key, intentionally or not, Capster pops up a Growl notification letting you know. Disable caps lock, and you get a Growl confirmation of that, too.

**** Philip Larkin, The Impossible Man <http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/05/philip-larkin-the-impossible-man/8439/>
Christopher Hitchens, The Atlantic

It is inescapable that we should wonder how and why poetry manages to transmute the dross of existence into magic or gold, and the contrast in Larkin’s case is a specially acute one.

**** Why She Fell <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/may/12/why-she-fell/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Daniel Mendelsohn, The New York Review Of Books

At the heart of the Spider-Man disaster is the essential incompatibility of those two visions of physical transformation—the ancient and the modern, the redemptive and the punitive, visions that Taymor tried, heroically but futilely, to reconcile. As happens so often in both myth and comic books, the attempt to fuse two species resulted in the creation of a monster.

**** The Nobel Individual And The Paradoxes Of 'International Literature' <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/the_tls/article7174216.ece>
Tim Parks, The Times

Translated works are increasingly prominently among Nobel candidates but what kind of literature appeals to a global audience and can "direct, unmediated contact" between a writer and their reader survive translation?

**** Divine Drudgery <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/may/12/divine-drudgery/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Jonathan Raban, The New York Review Of Books

Wallace’s intellectual sophistication and prowess were entwined with a moral and social simplicity that feels almost childlike and that’s a crucial part of his fiction.

**** Military Science Fiction Shouldn't Simplify The Complexity Of War <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/apr/22/military-science-fiction-simplify-war?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Damien G Walter, The Guardian

Military SF entertains with the imagery of future wars, but reveals the deluded fiction of modern conflict.

**** In The Sorting Office <http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n09/james-meek/in-the-sorting-office>
James Meek, London Review Of Books

Across the world, postal services are being altered like this: optimised to deliver the maximum amount of unwanted mail at the minimum cost to businesses. In the internet age private citizens are sending less mail than they used to, but that’s only part of the story of postal decline. The price of driving down the cost of bulk mailing for a handful of big organisations is being paid for by the replacement of decently paid postmen with casual labour and the erosion of daily deliveries.

**** Response To Minister Mah's Twisted Logic <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2011/04/response-to-minister-mahs-twisted-logic.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

Every Singaporean can only own one HDB flat as their home. HDB flat is a home, not an investment tool. Furthermore, can the value of HDB value keep going up forever when it has only a 99 year lease? Obviously not! When our HDB flat is 50 year old or more, banks will be very reluctant to provide loans for potential buyers. It would mean that the demand for our old flats will drop drastically and the value will definitely drop.

We have accumulated more than $300Billion reserves basically due to the hefty profits gained via land sales. We could afford to slow down the growth of our reserves by making more concessions to our young Singaporeans.

**** I'm My Own Man: Kuan <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110422-0000355/Im-my-own-man--Kuan>
Ian De Cotta, Today

After collecting his nomination papers from the Elections Department yesterday, independent candidate Andrew Kuan told MediaCorp he had no intention of backing out from Joo Chiat, as he spent much of his growing years there.

"I know the ground very well and have many friends in Joo Chiat that I now want to serve," he said at his condominium home in New Upper Changi Road.

**** 'New Media Lets SDP Portray Itself In True Light' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110422-0000361/New-media-lets-SDP-portray-itself-in-true-light>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

Thanks to new media, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) is confident that - for the first time - it can portray itself in its true light for the coming polls.

"(Dr Balakrishnan) needs to defend on why he finds our policies extreme and incoherent when he's afraid to debate with us," SDP secretary-general Chee Soon Juan said.

**** Idea To Use Foreign-language Methods To Teach Malay <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_659640.html>
Moliah Hashim, Yayasan Mendaki, Straits Times

**** He Understands What WP's Slogan Means <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_659608.html>
Harvey Neo, Straits Times

For example, one still wonders where exactly is the "Swiss standard of living" heralded by Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong when he was prime minister in the 1990s.

I hope Mr Shanmugam will not be drawn into such a game of semantics.

**** More Good Years For Foreigners <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-good-years-for-foreigners.html>
Singapore Notes

Despite of being in the cabinet for umpteen years, all the man can offer is that "We're doing what we can." Looks like the PAP newbies riding coattails into parliament are not the only ones undergoing on-the-job-training - at taxpayers' expense.

**** Can We Survive Without Huge Influx Of FTs? <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/04/can-we-survive-without-huge-influx-of.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** How Singapore Lost Down Under In ASX Bid <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/21/us-asx-sgx-idUSTRE73K15920110421?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&ca=samsung>
Michael Smith And Saeed Azhar, Reuters

Swan's political opponents and sources close to the exchanges said the official explanation was a smoke-screen for the real reasons the bid failed.

The Singapore government's indirect 23 percent non-voting stake in SGX was top of the list, according to sources, although this was something the Australian government could never say publicly.

Former Singapore prime minister Lee Kuan Yew's famous warning in the 1980s that Australia could become the "poor white trash of Asia" still resonates with some lawmakers, who are suspicious of the Singapore's government indirect links to the SGX.

**** Mah Bow Tan Is So Disappointing <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/04/mah-bow-tan-is-so-disappointing.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

Nevertheless, Mah's "raid" comment was entirely unjustified. (You can imagine that if Mah's and Low's positions were reversed, the PAP would have launched a defamation suit and sued Low to death or bankruptcy, or maybe locked him up under the ISA for speaking words to incite social unrest). "Raiding" the reserves means that you're like a thief or a robber, taking out money from the national reserves in a dishonest or unethical manner. However, the WP's proposal has nothing to do with taking money from the reserves. It has nothing to do with the reserves suffering any loss. At worst, it means that the land sales give the reserves a lesser gain.

The WP formula is not meant to make the government poorer, or even "less rich". The WP formula is simply to ensure that public housing remains affordable at all times, for the average Singaporean. Sounds fair and reasonable, right? LOL, no wonder Mah objected.

**** 许文远:我没教唆人们不孝 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110422_019.shtml>
王珏琪, 联合早报

新加坡民主党指责卫生部长许文远叫国人把父母送去新山的疗养院,许文远澄清,这纯粹是人们捏造的谣言,他并没有教唆人们不孝。

**** Don’t Sidetrack On Issue Of Public Housing, Low Tells Mah <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/don’t-sidetrack-on-issue-of-public-housing-low-tells-mah/>
Ko Siew Huey, The Online Citizen

Rebutting National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan’s comments that the proposal by the Worker’s Party (WP) to lower the prices of new Housing Board (HDB) flats is dangerous and against the interest of Singaporeans, WP Secretary General Low Thia Khiang said that Mr Mah’s statements were “calculated to confuse Singaporeans.”

Noting that the government is currently paying less than market prices for land to build public housing and is therefore already contributing less to the reserves, Mr Low observed that by that same definition, “the government is raiding the reserves now. “

He added : “If the logic is that (whenever) we talk about the government collecting less is raiding of the reserves, then I think everything the government does can also be constituted as raiding the reserves. Where does it end?”

Clarifying that the WP is neither advocating drawing down on the reserves nor is it against the accumulation of reserves for future generations, Mr Low stressed that it is important to consider the tradeoff involved. He said, “We do not think the government should, for the sake of… building up reserves, mortgage the future of Singaporeans.”

**** The Electoral Threat Of The Workers' Party (WP) <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/04/electoral-threat-of-workers-party-wp.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

Lowering of the prices of new HDB flats would benefit especially first time buyers, particularly those getting married and they form a large proportion of the population. How then can this be interpreted as against the government's asset enhancement policy?

**** Return Of The SPP <http://politicshap.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/return-of-the-spp/>
Politics

**** Residents Complain Against The Hanging Of PAP Flags <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=11274>
Christopher Ong, The Kent Ridge Common

Residents living in the Bishan-Toa Payoh constituency have went online in complains about the hanging of PAP flags well before nomination day.

An unidentified resident living in the constituency took photos of numerous PAP flags hanging by wall brackets mounted on the pillars of his flat, and questioned whether it was proper to do so.

**** Debunking The "Your Vote Is Not Secret" Myth <http://jeffyen.blogspot.com/2011/04/debunking-your-vote-is-not-secret-myth.html>
Jeff's Blog

Your vote is indeed secret. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Now go out and vote wisely next month. May the Force be with you.

**** You Know You Are Second-class Citizens When... <http://kaffein-nated.blogspot.com/2011/04/you-know-you-are-second-class-citizens.html>
Kaffein-nated

Again the second part of his sentence "Singapore residents take up two-thirds of the managerial and professional positions" throws us a curved-ball.

Who are the 'Singapore residents'? Anyone who is a local, PR and one holding a work visa or 'S' pass. And I can assuredly say that most are filled in by foreigners consisting of PRs and temporary residents.

**** I Still Fail To Understand Why There Cannot Be 2 Quality Teams <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/i-still-fail-to-understand-why-there-cannot-be-2-quality-teams/>
Yee Jenn Jong

I did not consider to be part of the PAP as I felt there should be room for divergent voices and an alternative team. Some talents may feel choked in the PAP system and prefer to stay out. Some have chosen to join in opposing teams. Unless PAP loosens itself up, it will increasingly find talents avoiding it and joining the opposite camp.

**** Are Politicians Out Of Touch: Singaporeans Will Decide <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/are-politicians-out-of-touch-singaporeans-will-decide/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

Politicians can ill afford to relish in the comforts of conservatism, and take the status quo – as well as the people’s sentiments – for granted. Otherwise, each and every General Election would be a painful learning experience for the candidates.

**** The PAP’s Unique No. 1 Election Strategy <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/the-paps-unique-no-1-election-strategy/>
Molitics

Instead of addressing the issue as it is, Mah and his PAP friends seem to think that they can smoke-fart their way through the elections and beyond, promising to “upgrade and preserve the value of older homes and estates” in their manifesto, which to Molly, is as good as saying, “Expect to continue to be unable to afford HDB flats, bitch!” Singaporeans must not allow this.

The least we could do is to tell the PAP a big no through our votes. The little dignity I have left of being a Singaporean is going to vanish if Singaporeans decide to give the political mandate to the PAP once again on May 7.

**** Dr Yaacob Ibrahim: “It May Be Timely For Us To Teach Malay As A Foreign Language” <http://blog.dk.sg/2011/04/22/dr-yaacob-ibrahim-it-may-be-timely-for-us-to-teach-malay-as-a-foreign-language/>
Dee Kay Dot As Gee

Now, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim, tell me. How can we teach Malay Language as a foreign language? I am not a Malay. I’m a Chinese. But when I saw that news article, I was very angry and frustrated for all my Malay friends. As the Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs, you are supposed to stand up for Malay’s rights. Yet you suggested making their language a foreign language on a land that used to be own by them. You should be ashamed of yourself.

**** SDP To Khaw: Don't Mix Religion With Politics <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4751-sdp-to-khaw-dont-mix-religion-with-politics>
Singapore Democratic Party

These are the facts of the case: On 10 February 2009, in a media report entitled “Live in Nursing Home in JB?”, Mr Khaw was quoted as follows in reference to elderly aged care, “so what is the difference in putting them in Johor Baru?” The next day he was taken to task in Parliament over these remarks but got away without a reprimand or sanction due to the PAP's overwhelming majority.

The SDP wants to hold Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan publicly and electorally accountable over these remarks and the PAP government`s inability to provide affordable quality healthcare to Singaporeans. The issue is about Ministerial accountability and healthcare costs. We are asking Mr. Khaw to stick to the issues and not to mix religion with politics.

**** Social Media Open Up Singapore Political Debate <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/56550>
Philip Lim, AFP

Tightly governed Singapore is facing one its most intense election campaigns ahead of the May 7 vote, thanks to the lifting of a ban on online political campaigning and the heavy penetration of social media among the population.

Even though the campaign doesn't officially start until next week, all political parties have been using Facebook, Twitter, blogs and their own websites for months to promote their platforms and candidates.

**** PM Says Singapore Not Ready For Two-party System <http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/04/22/idINIndia-56513720110422>
Reuters

Lee's People's Action Party (PAP), which has ruled Singapore since independence in 1965, is almost certain to win the election, but analysts say it may not be able to repeat its overwhelming victory at the last poll in 2006 when it clinched 82 of 84 seats with two-thirds of the vote.

High inflation, increasing property prices and open immigration policies could hurt the PAP at the election, but analysts say it should nevertheless win an easy majority.

**** GE: Teams Contesting Bishan-Toa Payoh Unfazed By Each Other's Track Records <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124310/1/.html>
Evelyn Choo, Channel NewsAsia

At a walkabout on Friday, when asked how he felt about a contest from a veteran like Mr Chiam, DPM Wong questioned instead the experience of the SPP team. He said that except for Mr Chiam who has gone through several elections, the other four members have not.

In response, Mr Chiam said he has done 28 years of town council work at Potong Pasir and that it "should not be a problem" passing on the experience to his members - two of whom have also worked with town councils.

**** GE: SDP Introduces 5 More Candidates <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124301/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) has introduced five more candidates for the General Election. They are Mr Mohd Isa Abdul Aziz, Mr Sadasivam Veriyah, Mr Tan Jee Say, Dr Ang Yong Guan and Mr Gerald Sng.

**** NSP Candidate For Mounbatten Plans To Tap Its Diversity <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110422-0001010/NSP-candidate-for-Mounbatten-plans-to-tap-its-diversity>
Ansley Ng, Today

The single member constituency of Mountbatten, the newly carved-out ward from the People's Action Party fortress of Marine Parade Group Representation Constituency, has a rich historical background and residents from diverse social backgrounds, according to Mrs Jeannette Chong-Aruldoss.

So the National Solidarity Party candidate for the constituency, where she has lived for some 40 years, plans to tap this diversity to make the area more vibrant.

**** GE: Some Political Websites Down, As Election Fever Heats Up Online <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124327/1/.html>
Timothy Ouyang, Channel NewsAsia

The National Solidarity Party's website (http://www.nsp.sg) has been down since early Friday morning, after it unveiled its election manifesto on Thursday. The NSP posted on its Facebook page that it "blew through our server quite quickly" and is now in the midst of "upgrading our digital media assets".

Other socio-political websites like The Temasek Review have also reportedly been experiencing sever problems recently - with some netizens occasionally unable to log on to the site.

**** SDP Introduces Remaining 5 Candidates <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4750-sdp-introduces-remaining-5-candidates>
Singapore Democratic Party

**** GE: PAP Candidates Prepare For Possible Contest In All Wards <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124339/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Seven office holders in government have never faced an electoral battle. But this could change if the opposition manages to field candidates in all 27 constituencies at the coming polls. One quarter (21 members) of Singapore's most recent Parliament has never faced an electoral contest. They include four ministers, two of whom were introduced in the 2001 election and one brought in at the last election in 2006.

**** LHL's Comment On FT Has No Basis <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/04/lhls-comment-on-ft-has-no-basis.html>
Singapore Election Watch

I find it somewhat strange that even at this eleventh hour before the elections, the prime minister is still using “Singaporeans and permanent residents (PRs)” statistics.