[MyAppleMenu] Apr 9, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 9 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Apple Investigating Verizon iPad 2 3G Issue <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20052322-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

In a statement by an Apple representative released to All Things Digital today, the company said it is aware that some iPad 2 owners with the Verizon 3G model are having connectivity issues and is investigating it. The number of those affected is "small," the company said.

**** LiveCode For iOS Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3273042&pagtype=allchandate>
David Crookes, Macworld UK

**** A Hundred Doors By Michael Longley – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/apr/09/hundred-doors-michael-longley-poetry-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Sean O'Brien, The Guardian

Michael Longley's reverence for the living and the dead is as evident as ever.

**** The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Moral Values By Sam Harris – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/apr/09/moral-landscape-sam-harris-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Giles Fraser, The Guardian

It isn't Sam Harris's atheism that bothers Giles Fraser, but his breathtaking hubris.

**** Old Flames, Eternal City <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/books/review/book-review-the-love-of-my-youth-by-mary-gordon.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Liesl Schillinger, New York Times

This novel, Mary Gordon’s 16th book and 10th work of fiction, resounds with echoes of relationships and themes from her previous work — both fiction and memoir — and carries an energizing aura of remembered experience.

**** How To Read Poetry Today <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/books/review/book-review-beautiful-and-pointless-a-guide-to-modern-poetry-by-david-orr.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
David Kirby, New York Times

The teachers thought that my poem said one thing but meant another, and that it’s the reader’s job to figure out what the poet is really saying. No wonder poetry doesn’t have a bigger audience. All that code cracking. Who has the time?

David Orr, that’s who — though in “Beautiful and Pointless,” his new guide to modern poetry, the most important thing he reveals about codes is that there aren’t any.

**** Temasek Review: Not Quite HuffPo, But.. <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2011/04/temasek-review-not-quite-huffpo-but.html>
Pressrun.net

Alternative media like the Temasek Review and The Online Citizen have broadened news coverage. Their posts and articles show up on Google News and Google News search. One may not agree with their views, but they aren’t ignored even by the mainstream media.

**** Different Routes For Two Railway Stations? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110409-0000274/Different-routes-for-two-railway-stations?>
S Ramesh And Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Today

While the Economic Strategies Committee had highlighted Tanjong Pagar as the next waterfront "city" given the neighbourhood's prime location, the Singapore Heritage Society is urging the Government to impose strict controls to maintain the positive qualities of the TPRS site, such as height controls and view corridors to ensure the station is not blocked and overshadowed.

"The TPRS site is now badly compromised by the close proximity of the Keppel viaduct, which blocks views to and from the station, impinges on the station's scale and dignity, and is a source of added noise and air pollution," the society said, adding the viaduct could be removed if the port area is redeveloped for residential, commercial and recreational use.

**** MCYS Rebuts SDP's Criticism Of YOG <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110409-0000305/MCYS-rebuts-SDPs-criticism-of-YOG>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

In response, MCYS sports director Koh Peng Keng pointed out that although the YOG was one-third the size of the Summer Olympics, its expenditure was less than 10 per cent of the most recent Games.

Meanwhile, the promises are starting to come in from the Opposition ahead of the General Election. The latest, by the SDP, is a pledge to hold quarterly town hall meetings "with (its) residents". Candidates who are elected will also donate half their Member of Parliament (MP) allowances to serve their constituencies. The SDP's town halls will allow voters to track the SDP's performance on "municipal matters", and hold MPs accountable on various issues, stated its website.

**** I Believe In Evolution: WP's Low <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110409-0000332/I-believe-in-evolution--WPs-Low>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Today

He might not have come to a decision yet, but Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang hinted that the possibility of him leading a team to fight a Group Representation Constituency is more than just a passing thought.

In Mr Low's own words, the stakes are "very high". Adding that he will announce - as well as explain - the decision on Nomination Day, Mr Low said in an interview with MediaCorp: "The option is open to me ... It is very important for the Opposition to win a GRC. The Opposition has got to be able to manage a town which is bigger than a Single Member Constituency. The experience that you gain is tremendous."

**** WP's Low May Not Contest A GRC <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_654552.html>
Andrea Ong, Straits Times

Opposition leader Low Thia Khiang has dropped the strongest hint yet that he will remain in Hougang instead of contesting a GRC in the coming polls. He said in an interview published on Friday in Shin Min Daily News that a victory is not guaranteed even if he was helming the team in the GRC battle.

Asked if he would personally lead a team to increase the party's chances of winning a GRC, the Workers' Party chief said: 'Do you think that's guaranteed even if I go to a GRC? Does it mean voters will definitely vote for me? It may not be the case, right?'

**** FoodFare Vouchers, But No Discount <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110409-0000307/FoodFare-vouchers,-but-no-discount>
Lee Siew Leng, Today

I presented one of these vouchers at the yong tau foo stall upon payment, only to be told it could not be used for my purchase which was S$3.70 for Curry Yong Tau Foo. The stallholders told me I would have to buy the S$4.10 yong tau foo to enjoy the 30-cent discount with the voucher.

Then, my son presented the same voucher at the fruit stall where he bought a piece of watermelon. There, he was told that the voucher could only be used during breakfast hours.

Finally, when my husband presented the voucher at the Vegetables Rice stall to buy a plate of rice, he was denied the discount without any reason given.

**** Revert To 3-member GRCs For Credibility <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_654573.html>
Young Pak Nang, Straits Times

If the original objective could be achieved with three members in a GRC, why has the number increased so drastically over the years?

Also, linking GRCs to town council management is an afterthought to justify the increase in GRC size. There is nothing to prevent two- or three-member GRCs from banding together if there is a common interest in improving management and benefiting from economies of scale, if the MPs concerned agree.

What the PAP has done in upsizing GRCs is wrong, although it may be legal and constitutional.

**** Team Walkovers <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_654572.html>
Goh Kee Chuan, Straits Times

The current group representation constituency (GRC) scheme embodies good intentions, but is somewhat lacking in thoughtful implementation. It is also perceived as a convenient tool designed by the People's Action Party (PAP) to induct weak candidates, while the best candidates from alternative parties slog hard for every vote. The GRC scheme does not do justice to the PAP's track record.

**** Thai Teen's Tragedy: Will SMRT Help Her? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_654574.html>
Ralph S. Lesslar, Straits Times

**** Insurance Definitely Required <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/04/insurance-definitely-required.html>
Singapore Notes

Teo was attempting to belittle the Workers' Party call to vote opposition as an insurance against the failings of the PAP. This is one premium Singaporeans are willing to pay, considering the financial exposure of the one party dominance which allows them to dispense taxpayers' funds without accountability. The list of abuses is long, and the YOG over budget is but one glaring example. Not forgotten is Mah Bow Tan's extravagance of spending $400,000 to rename Marina Bay. Lee Kuan Yew claims that the present team costs less than what Mindef paid for an F15 fighter jet, but exactly why we need such a fancy plane was never up for debate.

**** 为何不能加快装置安全屏门? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/sl110409_001.shtml>
联合早报

自2008年宣布装置安全屏门至今,又发生了多起不幸坠轨伤亡事故。这期间,建议加速装置进度的呼声也不时出现。可惜都没有得到积极的回应。本月3日,还没安装安全屏门的宏茂桥地铁站发生了14岁泰国少女尼查勒坠轨事故,地铁站的安全问题又一次凸显。少女失去了双腿,遭遇令人同情,而要求当局加快装置屏门的呼声也再次响起。我们恳切希望陆交局和地铁公司能积极回应,避免类似的悲剧重演。

**** Sister Of Death Row Inmate – “Are You Helping Good People Or Bad People?” <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/sister-of-death-row-inmate-%E2%80%93-%E2%80%9Care-you-helping-good-people-or-bad-people%E2%80%9D/>
Kirsten Han, The Online Citizen

“I want to ask Singapore – this drug law of yours, is it to deal with the villains or the victims like us?” Chun Yin’s sister Joanne Cheong told reporters yesterday. “Are you helping good people or bad people?”

**** ‘High-flyers Shy Away When The Money Is Good’ <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/4/9/columnists/insightdownsouth/8445866&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The political leaders have described it as a good, diversed team but it is obvious that the inability to attract private talent weigh heavily on official minds.

For the PAP, which has not lost a single election in the last 50 years, it is a dismal show especially in the face of a resurging opposition which seems to have less difficulty in this area.

The trouble is that some of the targeted high flyers either do not support the PAP’s current strategy for Singapore or some of its political, economic and social policies.

**** To President S R Nathan: I Plead With You To Show Mercy And Grant Yong A Reprieve <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/to-president-s-r-nathan-i-plead-with-you-to-show-mercy-and-grant-yong-a-reprieve/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

As the office which represents all Singaporeans, I urge you, Mr President, to show mercy to Vui Kong and commute his death sentence, and allow him an opportunity to be included in the Yellow Ribbon Project.

Such a decision by your excellency will show that while we retain a tough stance against drugs, we also are humane and are able to show mercy when it is deserved.

And I humbly submit that Vui Kong is one who deserves a second chance and that he will indeed embrace it and make full use of it to help others avoid falling into crime like he did.

**** The Difference Between SDP And PAP Town Halls <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4717-the-difference-between-sdp-and-pap-town-halls>
Singapore Democratic Party

The SDP-proposed Town Hall meetings are designed with one purpose: To listen to the people and to carry their concerns with us to Parliament.

This cannot be more different from the town halls held in Tampines by Mr Mah Bow Tan which are, essentially, organised to talk at the residents. PAP forums are meant to get their members and supporters to propagate what the Government wants the constituents to hear and comply with.

**** Question Time With The Prime Minister <http://www.raviphilemon.net/2011/04/question-time-with-prime-minister.html>
Ravi Philemon

I personally know of people who have post graduate qualifications but are now applying for jobs which would pay them less then $1500. I also know of people who have upgraded and re-skilled under the Workforce Development Authority's WSQ programme only to find that they are unable to land a job or if they landed one, that the new job pays them significantly lower than their previous job.

**** SDP To MCYS: Don’t Evade, Answer The Question And Be Accountable <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4718-sdp-to-mcys-dont-evade-answer-the-question-and-be-accountable>
Singapore Democratic Party

The reason why SDP is raising this issue is this: The PAP government and its Ministers have gotten into the habit of wasting public funds without public accountability.

This has to stop.

**** GE: SDP's 10 Promises... <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1121730/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

The opposition Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) has released its manifesto ahead of the general election. The statement is crystallised from its shadow budget "It's About You" which outlines the party's alternative economic programme.

The manifesto covers two parts - constituency specific targets and national issues.

They include: contributing half of the MP's allowance to fund programmes for the needy, ensuring public funds are not used in risky investments, abolishing GST for essential goods and services, and abolishing the CPF Minimum Sum scheme - where citizens set aside some money for their pension fund.

**** PAP Profile, But Likely Opposition Candidate <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_654806.html>
Jeremy Au Yong & Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

Many aspects of Mr Benjamin Pwee's background mark him out as a PAP candidate. But it looks likely that the 43-year-old will instead contest as opposition veteran Chiam See Tong's teammate in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

He is a former chairman of the People's Action Party (PAP) youth wing in the Thomson area, one year ahead of PAP candidate Major-General (NS) Chan Chun Sing in Raffles Institution and Raffles Junior College, a former Administrative Service officer and the son of long-time PAP grassroots leader Robert Pwee.

**** Why Are They Wearing Jasmine Garlands At The Hawker Centres? <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/04/06/why-are-they-wearing-jasmine-garlands-in-the-hawker-centres/>
Singapore Actually

It seems that humour is the only avenue by which we can make ourselves heard, till the press decides to be less slanted. Don’t they realize that it is really obvious to most of us?

**** PAP Is Like Microsoft <http://everythingalsocomplain.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/pap-is-like-microsoft/>
Everything Also Complain

What struck me about this letter is not so much the analogy of a notoriously resilient political party of a tiny nation of 5 million vs a global juggernaut with a stranglehold over billions of consumers, but rather how it’s a copy-and-paste affair from the same complainant made 10 years ago.

**** S$3.4 Million For Me, Bowl Of Noodles For You <http://theowlcritic.blogspot.com/2011/04/s34-million-for-me-bowl-of-noodles-for.html>
The Owl

**** GE: New Candidates Step Up Their Game As Election Draws Near <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1121751/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Typically candidates start through Meet-The-People sessions (MPS). Mr Zainal said: "My main message to the grassroots leaders - I'm really new, I do not know them, they do not know me and really what I hope to do is to build that trust with them and as to whether I can be a good MP really depends on the support from the grassroots leaders."

For opposition parties, it is literally hitting the ground running. A lot of the outreach is through walkabouts and house visits. They are also using new media to communicate with voters. Some are even organising their own little focus groups.

**** Ms Lim, Mr Lim, Mr Yeo, Please Keep In Touch <http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/ms-lim-mr-lim-mr-yeo-please-keep-in-touch/>
One Singaporean

The PAP is so out of touch that it never thought its candidates would be scrutinise in such intimate and meticulous fashion.

The PAP is so out of touch that it doesn’t even understand New Media – just consider SM Goh Chok Tong’s foot-in-mouth disease by playing that “joke” on his Facebook about Tin Pei Ling.

So my dear PAP, please keep in touch.

**** GE: Opposition Should Work To Secure One-third Of Seats In Parliament, Says WP's Sylvia Lim <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1121755/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

"Towards a First World Parliament" - that is the Workers' Party campaign slogan for the elections. It calls for more opposition voices to keep the ruling party on its toes by occupying enough seats to block any constitutional amendment that requires at least two thirds of the House votes.

The Workers' Party also introduced its 63-page manifesto, which covers 15 areas of public policy. They include calls for the government to spend more on healthcare, re-look immigration policies and bring down the voting age to 18, so as to encourage young people to have an early interest in politics.