[MyAppleMenu] Oct 24, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 24 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Lion <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2010/10/24/lion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IgnoreTheCode+%28ignore+the+code%29>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

I hope that the Mac App Store will serve as a showcase for the best Mac apps, rather than as a horrible mess of as many apps Apple can accept in the shortest time possible.

**** Apple's New MacBook Air: A Savior For Business Travelers? <http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/10/23/apples-new-macbook-air-a-savior-for-business-travelers/>
Amanda Kooser, AOL Small Businesses

Loyal netbook users may still be dissuaded by the higher price tag and lingering wish list of hardware capabilities. But like it so often does, Apple has quickly become the category leader -- in a category of its own creation.

**** The Small Macbook Air Is <i>Not</i> A Netbook <http://thesmallwave.com/no-the-macbook-air-is-not-a-netbook>
The Small Wave

Netbooks are slow and cramped, the 11" MacBook Air is not.

**** The Mac App Store: The Devil Will Be In The Details <http://www.macworld.com/article/155120/2010/10/mac_app_store_devil_in_the_details.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

If the App Store becomes the de facto method for getting new programs, we could end up in a situation where developers feel forced to write software that meets Mac App Store guidelines. And if that happens, and if those guidelines don’t change dramatically, we’ll all lose.

**** 11-Inch MacBook Air First Impression: It’s Freakin’ Fast! <http://www.cultofmac.com/11-inch-macbook-air-first-impression-its-freakin-fast/65623?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cultofmac%2FbFow+%28Cult+of+Mac%29>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

**** Apple Opens Lincoln Park Store, Spruces Up CTA Stop <http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7741726>
ABC7Chicago

Apple invested $4 million in the North and Clybourn station next door to its new Lincoln Park store in a deal with the Chicago Transit Authority.

**** Warning!!! iPhoto 11 Erases Entire iPhoto Libraries <http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/2010/10/warning-iphoto-11-erases-entire-iphoto.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Liz Castro, Pigs, Gourds, And Wikis

Upon upgrading to iPhoto 11, I got the revolving gray wheel for a very long time, and the Finder said that iPhoto had "stopped responding" so I force quit and started again. I was finally able to upgrade and rebuild my library, but there was nothing there.

**** Will The Mac App Store Have Enough To Sell? <http://gdgt.com/discuss/will-mac-app-store-have-enough-sell-avi/>
Gdgt

What happens when Apple’s growing need for control over its ecosystem meets the inexorable trend of software migrating to the cloud? Will there even be much left to sell in an App Store in a few years?

**** Jobs Unlikely To Overstretch Apple Cash <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/af7178e4-df89-11df-bed9-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=rss>
Joseph Menn and Chris Nuttall, Financial Times

**** The Most Disruptive Mac Yet <http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/10/24/the-most-disruptive-mac-yet.aspx>
Tim Beyers, Motley Fool

What makes this OS important for investors is that it's anything but a Big Idea. No new product categories were created. No paradigms were shifted. Instead, Apple introduced enhancements that should make Macs more usable. In a word, Apple executed.

**** The Eternal City By Kathleen Graber – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/24/kathleen-graber-eternal-city-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Kate Kellaway, The Guardian

Kathleen Graber's superb second collection of poems grapples with big questions and the commonplace.

**** The Atheist's Guide To Christmas By Various Authors – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/24/atheists-guide-to-christmas-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Jessica Holland, The Guardian

This compendium of essays is the perfect godless curmudgeon's stocking-filler.

**** Do Writers Need Paper? <http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2010/10/books-electronic-publishing/>
Tom Chatfield, Prospect

The tyranny of choice is a near-universal digital lament. But for literary authors, at least, what comes with the territory is an especially barbed species of uncertainty.

**** Petition Appeals For Acquittal Of British Journalist Alan Shadrake <http://en.rsf.org/singapore-alan-shadrake-appeal-free-22-10-2010,38648.html>
Reporters Without Borders

Reporters Without Borders today launched an international petition calling for the acquittal of British author and journalist Alan Shadrake who is facing two years in prison for writing a book about the death penalty in Singapore.

**** Rule Of Law Applies To All, Regardless Of Nationality & Status: Shanmugam <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1089053/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore law minister K Shanmugam has said that the country applies the law fairly to everyone, regardless of the nationality of the person involved, his background or status. He was commenting on the case involving American citizen, Kamari Kenyada Charlton, who has been charged with overstaying in Singapore and cheating.

**** Singapore Exchange Said To Plan $8.2 Billion Offer For Australian Exchange <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-24/singapore-exchange-said-to-plan-an-8-2-billion-cash-stock-offer-for-asx.html>
Cathy Chan and Joyce Koh, Bloomberg

Singapore Exchange Ltd. plans to offer about A$8.4 billion ($8.2 billion) in cash and stock to buy ASX Ltd., which runs the Australian stock exchange, said two people familiar with the matter.

**** Haze Highlights Weak Asean Cooperation: Analysts <http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/haze-highlights-weak-asean-cooperation-analysts/402961>
AFP

Just a week after Southeast Asia hailed “substantive progress” against cross-border air pollution, the problem of haze from Indonesia raises fresh questions about the effectiveness of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, whose leaders will hold a two-day summit in Hanoi starting on Thursday.

**** The Temasek Review Talks to Alan Shadrake <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/10/23/exclusive-the-temasek-review-talks-to-alan-shadrake/>
Temasek Review