[MyAppleMenu] Oct 11, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 11 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Apple Slapped By Watchdog As New iPhone Cracks Emerge <http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/iphone/apple-slapped-by-watchdog-as-new-iphone-cracks-emerge-20101011-16etz.html?from=smh_sb>
Asher Moses, Sydney Morning Herald

The consumer watchdog has taken Apple to task over warranty issues as reports surface of new design problems relating to the iPhone 4's glass body.

**** Apple's Growing Place In The Enterprise <http://blogs.computerworld.com/17133/apples_growing_place_in_the_enterprise>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

Just over six months since iPad reached the shops it has already built for itself the visibility it takes to attract interest from those at the heart of corporate finance. It has motivated banks, financial houses and world-class firms such as Bloomberg to produce apps for the platform.

Why?

**** Cracks Form In Telstra-Apple Relationship <http://www.zdnet.com.au/cracks-form-in-telstra-apple-relationship-339306493.htm>
Renai LeMay, ZDNet.com.au

Telstra chief executive David Thodey last week said there were problems in the telco's relationship with notoriously demanding manufacturer Apple and criticised what he called the company's lack of openness, in a speech in which he praised Google and demonstrated Telstra's upcoming Android tablets built by Chinese vendor Huawei.

**** Sparrow For Mac: A Study In Minimalist E-Mail Interfaces <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/10/sparrow-a-study-in-minimalist-e-mail-interfaces.ars>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

We spoke with Dominique Leca and Dihn Viêt Hoà about their motivation to create a Mac OS X e-mail client, fueled by innovative iPad apps and frustration with vaporware projects. We also spent a little time with the beta of Sparrow to check out its Twitter-influenced user interface.

**** "Trimming" Tracks In Itunes <http://www.macworld.com/article/154776/2010/10/trim_itunes_tracks.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple Trademarks "There's An App For That" <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/11/apple-trademarks-theres-an-app-for-that/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

Apple has been awarded a trademark for the phrase, "There's an app for that." The tagline has been used to promote the App Store and iOS devices almost since their inception, and has really caught on. From tech articles to jokes told around the water cooler, many people have adopted the phrase.

**** Making Sense Of The Multiverse <http://www.slate.com/id/2269908/>
Peter Galison, Slate Magazine

So, what does Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design tell us about God?

**** Bliss Street <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/10/18/101018po_poem_mlinko>
Ange Mlinko, New Yorker

**** Too Much Information <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2010/10/18/101018crat_atlarge_lepore>
Jill Lepore, New Yorker

Books about the birds and the bees.

**** "How To Live": Grandfather Of The Writing We Love To Hate <http://www.salon.com/books/memoirs/index.html?story=/books/laura_miller/2010/10/10/montaigne>
Laura Miller, Salon

Michel de Montaigne committed every sin we complain about in today's memoirists and bloggers, 400 years ago.

**** In Defense Of Naïve Reading <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/in-defense-of-naive-reading/?ref=opinion>
Robert Pippin, New York Times

Clearly, poems and novels and paintings were not produced as objects for future academic study; there is no a priori reason to think that they could be suitable objects of “research.” By and large they were produced for the pleasure and enlightenment of those who enjoyed them. But just as clearly, the teaching of literature in universities ─ especially after the 19th-century research model of Humboldt University of Berlin was widely copied ─ needed a justification consistent with the aims of that academic setting: that fact alone has always shaped the way vernacular literature has been taught.

**** Singapore Grabs An Edge Every Time <http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/200710/singapore-grabs-an-edge-every-time>
Bangkok Post

Pick one country in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations which is good at turning a crisis into an opportunity. The obvious choice is Singapore.

**** Singapore ‘Average Wealth Per Adult’ Owned By Less Than 20% <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2010/10/singapore-average-wealth-per-adult-owned-by-less-than-20.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rana+%28Pressrun.net+%28originally+Blowin%27+in+the+Wind%29%29>
pressrun.net

**** 为革新党顺利加入民联 詹时中委亲信任民联秘书长 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101011_012.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

新加坡人民党秘书长詹时中为铲除革新党加入新加坡民主联盟的重要障碍,日前决定委任亲信取代林睦荃担任民联秘书长。

**** Discussion To Set Up Liberal Arts College In Singapore In Final Stages <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1086415/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

National University of Singapore (NUS) president, Tan Chorh Chuan, said talks with Yale University are progressing well and a decision can be expected by early next year.

There have been some concerns expressed by Yale faculty over academic freedom and freedom of speech. NUS says that while such views have been heard, Yale has also received written and verbal communication from their faculty to signal enthusiastic support.

**** Singapore Whistleblower On Bribes To Seagate Fined Rather Than Jailed <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-11/singapore-whistleblower-fined-rather-than-jailed-after-disclosing-bribery.html>
Andrea Tan, Bloomberg

Ang Seng Thor, the former head of AEM-Evertech Holdings Ltd., was fined rather than jailed for corruption by a Singapore judge after disclosing bribes to companies including Seagate Technology Plc.

His whistle-blowing led to the full discovery of wrongdoings that were difficult to find and prosecute, Singapore District Judge John Ng said in his ruling today. Ang, who pleaded guilty, “played a passive role” in the bribery, Ng said.

**** Home <http://miak.livejournal.com/668652.html>
Innersanctum

We would often hear people say "back home, we......" but Singaporeans would often say "back in Singapore...."

**** Temasek Review’s Response To TNP’s Misleading Article <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/10/09/temasek-reviews-response-to-tnps-misleading-article/>
Pamela Tian, The Temasek Review

**** TR And SDP's Allegations About Singapore Police Force <http://www.raviphilemon.net/2010/10/tr-and-sdps-allegations-about-singapore.html>
Ravi Philemon

Both the Temasek Review (TR) and the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), have said that the Singapore Police Force has given confidential information from a closed investigation to a journalist from a newspaper.

**** How Singapore Authors Can Get NLB To Consider Their Books For Acquisition <http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-singapore-authors-can-get-nlb-to.html>
Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian

My colleague gave the assurance that NLB does try to comprehensively collect Singapore authors' works, including self-published ones. In most cases, copies would be purchased and made available for reference or lending.

**** Swim Chief's Remarks Disturbing... <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_589315.html>
Allen Tan, Straits Times

Whether such a mistake is trivial or not should not depend on whether our swimmers can win medals. Such remarks reflect an attitude that belittles the swimmers' efforts in training and pride in representing the nation.