[MyAppleMenu] Oct 2, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 2 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Revamped Interface Highlights GraphicConverter Update <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=2c6c34fd84b40195a3719e6c98cdb50c>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

In addition to the new user interface, GraphicConverter 7 offers a new window for multiple conversion as well as stepless zooming of preview images in the browser.

**** Review: Microsoft Outlook For Mac 2011 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=cab346645b2f82b43b8bf79e48fca2c2>
John C. Welch, Macworld

Outlook 2011 is different enough that Entourage users will have to make big adjustments. Users from current versions of Outlook for Windows will probably have the fewest issues. As a 1.0 product, there are a number of feature holes and bugs that need to be fixed and fixed quickly, but none were major inhibitors. If you need an Exchange client on the Mac, Outlook 2011 is the king. It’s not cheap (being part of Office 2011), and there’s no way to just buy Outlook 2011, but if you need Exchange, or just want something more than Mail, iCal, and Address Book give you, Outlook is a no-brainer.

**** MobileMe Gallery App Goes Universal In Version 1.2 <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/01/mobileme-gallery-app-goes-universal-in-version-1-2/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Opinion: Now Is The Apple TV More Than A Hobby? <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=3a935c397b25dcf10fb221eb60c66496>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

Its continued reliance on iTunes and the iTunes Store make it a less-than-universally-desirable device.

Of course there’s always the possibility that we’re seeing just the first step in The Bigger Plan—the one where the Apple TV embraces its iOS roots and becomes the iPad for TV, allowing you to install any app you like (including games as well as media apps). Should that day arrive, goodbye hobby, hello necessity.

**** Patent Suit Targets Apple, Microsoft, Others Over Digital Distribution <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=512e9beec1aa36039ad3188f465e95db>
AppleInsider

**** Apple Loses Patent-infringement Trial Over Cover Flow, Time Machine <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=84109965f3e5dee2fca298fa1e1bf4ec>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

**** Tip Of The Week: Getting The Most From A Mac's Dictionary <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=f7b3485cfc5439d9127b5634517b58f6>
J.D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

**** Pulse 2.0 Lives: Bigger, Faster, More Organized Visual iPad News Consumption <http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/01/pulse-2-ipad/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

**** Analyst: iPad A Want, Then A Need <http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20101001/analyst-ipad-a-want-then-a-need/?mod=ATD_rss>
John Paczkowski, Wall Street Journal

According to a new survey from NPD, only 13 percent of iPad owners bought the device in lieu of a PC. For the other 87 percent, it was an incremental purchase, a luxury purchase.

**** Shocking: Apple Approves BitTorrent App For App Store <http://torrentfreak.com/shocking-apple-approves-bittorrent-app-for-iphone-app-store-101002/>
TorrentFreak

**** A Human Head . . . <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/7x1sG3Zk-Ms/human-head-edwin-morgan-poem>
Edwin Morgan, The Guardian

**** Pebble And I By John Fuller | Book Review <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/mYnrAn7PQEQ/pebble-john-fuller-poetry-review>
Charles Bainbridge, The Guardian

One of the most enjoyable things about these two latest offerings from John Fuller is the subtlety and variety of their descriptive detail. Pebble and I, his 18th collection of poetry, is packed with his usual technical brio and range of tone, but what impresses more than anything is the precise and playful imagery, especially a delight in the use of comparisons. The new book doesn't have the sustained formal virtuosity of his A Space of Joy (2006) or the comic pyrotechnics of Song and Dance (2008); it's in many ways more meditative and occasional, happy to respond to places and events as and when they occur.

**** A Different Sky By Meira Chand | Book Review <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/F2qGp9vSoIY/different-sky-meira-chand-review>
Maya Jaggi, The Guardian

Meira Chand has for 30 years turned an outsider's acute eye on the societies in which she has lived in Asia, mainly Japan and India. Her eighth novel is a panoramic page-turner set in colonial Singapore. Like JG Farrell's The Singapore Grip, A Different Sky leads up to the Japanese invasion described by Churchill as the "largest capitulation in British history". Yet the focus is less on the delusions of a faltering empire than on the turmoil of the brashly emergent city-state.

**** Happy 200th, Snow White! <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article10011001.aspx>
Stefany Anne Golberg, The Smart Set

The look of Snow White — her blue-and-red capped sleeves, her cherry-colored Clara Bow lips — and the seven dwarfs with their funny names, are all from Disney’s telling. This Snow White is so palpable for me, and for most Americans, that one might believe Snow White an American invention.

**** Science Knows Best <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=6a131054656de840952821536065d21c>
Kwame Anthony Appiah, New York Times

Moral solutions do not reside in religion but in science, Sam Harris writes.

**** Too Funny For Words <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/opinion/02funt.html?ref=opinion>
Peter Funt, New York Times

When my dad, Allen Funt, produced “Candid Microphone” back in the mid-1940s, he used a clever ruse to titillate listeners. A few times per show he’d edit out an innocent word or phrase and replace it with a recording of a sultry woman’s voice saying, “Censored.” Audiences always laughed at the thought that something dirty had been said, even though it hadn’t.

**** Tiger Flights Grounded, Thousands Stranded <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101002-0000085/Tiger-flights-grounded,-thousands-stranded>
Lynda Hong Ee Lyn, Today

"Every time we asked the staff at the Tiger Airways counter what was happening, they told us to wait for 10 minutes. We waited for three hours and then found out that the flight had been cancelled," he said.

**** 方言节目影响真那么大吗? <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl101002_011.shtml>
郭丽娟, 联合早报

若政府愿意循序渐进地放宽对方言节目的限制,现在其实尚有很大的空间可作灵活调整。

**** Rankled Over Rankings Fall <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2010/10/2/columnists/insightdownsouth/7137567&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

As foreign universities get better and competition gets hotter, Singaporean expectations have moved higher than the realities on the ground.

**** 两天临时取消近20趟航班 虎航服务受民航局高度关注 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp101002_004.shtml>
赵琬仪, 联合早报

廉价航空公司虎航接连两天临时取消近20趟班机服务,引起民航局的高度关注。民航局受询时说,已特别要求虎航正视因班机取消,对乘客所造成的困扰。

**** 本地历史最悠久剧团 艺术剧场和实践剧场 迈向未来 如何 <http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk101002_007.shtml>
周文龙, 联合早报

**** Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew In Hospital, Receives Visitor <http://in.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-51880120101001>
Kevin Lim, Reuters

Singapore's elder statesman Lee Kuan Yew was being treated in hospital on Friday, two days after he was admitted for a chest infection, but a photograph released by his office showed him in good spirits.

**** Berita Harian Censors Lee Kuan Yew’s Remarks On Singapore Being “Largely Chinese And Indians” <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/10/02/berita-harian-censors-lee-kuan-yews-remarks-on-singapore-being-largely-chinese-and-indians/>
The Temasek Review

**** Mrs Lee Kuan Yew Dies At Age 89 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1084739/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Madam Kwa Geok Choo - the wife of minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew, and mother of prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has died on Saturday.

Mrs Lee Kuan Yew, age 89, passed away peacefully at home at 5.40 pm.

**** Press Statement From Prime Minister's Office <http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/pmo/press_release/P-20101002-2>
Prime Minister's Office, Singapore Government

Mrs Lee Kuan Yew, age 89, passed away peacefully at home today at 5.40 pm.

**** Wife Of Singapore Founding Father Lee Kuan Yew Dies <http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCATRE6910VJ20101002>
Reuters

In an unusually frank interview last month, Lee said his wife's illness was one of the hardest things for him to face.

"What to do? What else can I do?" he told the New York Times. "I can't break down. Life has got to go on. I try to busy myself, but from time to time in idle moments, my mind goes back to the happy days we were up and about together."

**** PM Lee Cuts Short Brussels Trip To Return To Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1084753/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia