[MyAppleMenu] Nov 15, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 15 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Apple To Bring iPhone Ads To Europe <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/31bf2166-f01f-11df-88db-00144feab49a,dwp_uuid=9a36c1aa-3016-11da-ba9f-00000e2511c8.html>
Tim Bradshaw And Joseph Menn, Financial Times

Agencies gave Apple’s entry to the mobile ads market a rapturous reception in April, hoping it would add fuel to a slow-burning format that has yet to live up to its potential. But that enthusiasm has waned amid high prices for ads, a slow production process and client withdrawals.

**** The iPad <http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2010/11/the_ipad-2.html>
Kiwiblog

I’ve had an iPad for around three months now and I have to say I find it absolutely invaluable. Cunningly, they have invented a device which will not replace either your phone or your laptop, but complements them both.

**** Review: 2010 MacBook Air 13" Inflight Testing <http://www.ausbt.com.au/2010-macbook-air-13-inflight-testing>
Dan Warne, Australian Business Traveller

**** Apple Accelerates Launch Of New Products In China <http://www.macworld.com/article/155700/2010/11/mbachina.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Michael Kan, IDG News Service

Apple products are hitting the Chinese market faster than they used to, with the company's latest version of its MacBook Air scheduled to be released in the country this month.

Chinese consumers once had to endure a long wait before Apple's newest products officially arrived in the country. In the case of the iPhone, more than two years passed between Apple's launch of the iconic smartphone and the start of official shipments to China in late 2009.

**** iTunes Tomorrow: What’s Apple Planning? <http://www.mcelhearn.com/2010/11/15/itunes-tomorrow-whats-apple-planning/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** iTunes “Exciting Announcement” Digging <http://waffle.wootest.net/2010/11/15/itunes-exciting-announcement-digging/>
Waffle

Since it’s only being teased in some countries, I’m guessing it’s an iTunes Store thing.

There’s no real pattern that I’ve been able to tell with regards to any existing iTunes Store feature.

**** Book Review: 'The Mind's Eye' By Oliver Sacks <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-oliver-sacks-20101114,0,7275711.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Meehan Crist, Los Angeles Times

Oliver Sacks has built a reputation on exploring the medical mysteries of individual patients to illuminate the larger mysteries of human experience. "The Mind's Eye," a collection of essays on the ways in which we perceive the world (many of which have already appeared in some form, most notably in the New Yorker) is no different, introducing readers to a predictably unpredictable cast of characters.

**** Animation Industry Finds A Home In Singapore <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/technology/15iht-animate.html?_r=1>
Sonia Kolesnikov-jessop, New York Times

While this industry in Singapore is less than 10 years old and still very much in its infancy, it has turned an important corner in the past couple years, executives and analysts say.

**** Are We Cutting It Too Tight? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_603268.html>
Png Eng Huat, Straits Times

The argument cited in last Wednesday's report - that other Commonwealth countries are not as generous as Singapore in giving lawmakers time to speak - tells only half the story.

Our Parliament sits for fewer than 30 days a year and each sitting lasts half a day. In the thick of the financial crisis last year, the House met for only 27 days. That is an average of 2.25 half-days a month for 84 MPs to file questions, debate on policies, and enact laws. On top of that, we have another nine Nominated MPs and one Non-Constituency MP who are supposed to join in the debate as well.

**** Parental Maintenance: Where There's A Will, Let's Respect It <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_603267.html>
Alfred Lim, Straits Times

There may or may not be good reasons to exclude one's parents from the will. To statutorily provide an avenue for parents so excluded presupposes that all such cases belong to the latter category.

**** Little Opposition Activity In Mountbatten <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101115-0000046/Little-opposition-activity-in-Mountbatten>
Zul Othman, Today

It is all quiet on the eastern front as far as Marine Parade GRC Member of Parliament Lim Biow Chuan is concerned.

**** 'She's Best Known In Potong Pasir After Me' <http://www.asiaone.com/News/The+New+Paper/Story/A1Story20101112-247004.html>
Tay Shi'an, New Paper

"Life is not so easy, I'm old enough to know that."

"But I have confidence in the people of Toa Payoh and Bishan. They are so close to Potong Pasir and Lorong 8 Toa Payoh. They have seen the opposition winning and nothing happens to them."

**** 冰冻三尺,非一日之寒 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101115_007.shtml>
林莉真, 联合早报

学校是莘莘学子求知识,学做人的地方。可是,现在却差点儿成了培养恶霸、流氓的地方。有些家长无暇管教自己的孩子,却有空为孩子撑腰,包庇孩子的错误。老师为了息事宁人明哲保身,也没有必要招惹是非。如此恶性循环,学生没有受到正确的管教,长大成了恶徒!

**** Bukit Panjang To Step Up Citizen Patrols <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/11/15/bukit-panjang-to-step-up-citizen-patrols/>
Angela Lim, Yahoo!

Community leaders will step up recruitment of more volunteers for the Citizens-on-Patrol (COP) Programme and will decide if there is a need to increase the frequency of patrols. If possible, teenagers will also be roped in.

**** 当务之急是除掉林睦荃 人民党可能不退出民联 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101115_024.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

新加坡人民党秘书长、波东巴西区国会议员詹时中或许考虑打消退出新加坡民主联盟的念头,改而留下并巩固本身在民联的势力。为达到这个目的,他的当务之急是除掉眼中钉林睦荃。

据本报获悉,詹时中的确曾考虑让人民党退出民联,但却在日前接到另两个成员党可能也一并退出民联的风声后,决定改变初衷,不敢轻举妄动。

**** 学校食堂“外包”降温 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101115_016.shtml>
黄慧敏, 联合早报

一度盛行的“外包”食堂服务,近年似乎显著“降温”。根据教育部数据,将食堂外包的学府近年一直维持在25%左右,并未增加。

**** Singapore Growth Shows Up Hong Kong <http://www.marketwatch.com/story/singapore-growth-shows-up-in-hong-kong-2010-11-14>
Craig Stephen, MarketWatch

Not only will these figures from little Singapore likely rankle proud Malaysians, they should also turn some heads in Hong Kong.

**** Pawns On A Political Chessboard? <http://searchingforenlightenment.blogspot.com/2010/11/pawns-on-political-chessboard.html>
Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker

Although these MPs were most likely briefed by their party leadership to provide this standard response, it nonetheless makes one wonder if these MPs, feeling a sense of commitment and loyalty to their current constituents, will object to or fight against a decision by their party leadership to deploy them to another constituency. Or will they meekly abide by the decision of their party leadership?

In other words, are the loyalty of these MPs more to their party or the constituents who they serve and represent?

**** Cable Car Stalls Due To Bad Weather <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/11/15/cable-car-stalls-due-to-bad-weather/>
Ewen Boey, Yahoo!

Nobody was hurt in the incident but it was the first time the cable car system in Singapore, which stretches between Mount Faber and Sentosa, has come to a halt due to lightning in its 36 years of operations.

**** Affordability Of HDB Flats – A Response To Minister Of National Development <http://votingrp.wordpress.com/2010/11/14/affordability-of-hdb-flats-a-response-to-minister-of-national-development/>
Affordability Of HDB Flats – A Response To Minister Of National Development, VotingRP

**** A Delicate Balancing Act <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC101115-0000024/A-delicate-balancing-act>
Cao Yilun, Today

The legal development in Shadrake's case is a positive step towards liberalising the law of contempt of court in Singapore, with Justice Quentin Loh deciding that the test of contempt of court is not that of "inherent tendency", but a test of "real risk".

However, until our communitarian value system shifts significantly and decidedly towards individualism, protecting social cohesion and values will perhaps remain the most important consideration in deciding how much freedom of speech and expression is to be accorded.

**** Private Property Sales Rebound In Oct <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1093567/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Sales of private home units rebounded in October, climbing above the 1,000 units level yet again.

**** Retail Sales Slip 2.4% On-month <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1093575/1/.html>
Jo-ann Huang, Channel NewsAsia

**** Redefining Media Quality <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/redefining-media-quality/>
Howard Lee, The Online Citizen