[MyAppleMenu] Nov 5, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 5 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** New Variant Of Mac OS X Trojan Discovered <http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/11/04/new-variant-of-mac-os-x-trojan-discovered/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

**** Going Flash-Free On Mac OS X, And How To Cheat When You Need It <http://daringfireball.net/2010/11/flash_free_and_cheating_with_google_chrome>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** Apple Adds Calendars Back To iPhoto '11 In New 9.1 Update <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/11/04/apple_adds_calendars_back_to_iphone_11_in_new_9_1_update.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

Apple released a new version 9.1 update for iPhoto '11, adding back support for creating calendars, fixing bugs and offering additional letterpress holiday greeting card themes.

**** New Mac Airs: Beautiful And Usable <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/new-mac-airs-beautiful-and-useable/>
David Pogue, New York Times

The 11-incher will delight you with its practical nonexistence but disappoint you if you think of it as your main machine. But if you think of it as a satellite for a full-blown computer, you’ll be very happy with it. It’s sort of like an iPad with a keyboard.

**** MacTech 2010: Daniel Jalkut On The Mac App Store And More <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/04/mactech-2010-daniel-jalkut-on-the-mac-app-store-and-more/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

Like most of the developers we've met up with at the conference this week, Jalkut is hesitant but optimistic about the way the Mac App Store will work. His most recent issue is with so-called "land grabbers" on the App Store -- some developers are already grabbing up names (since submissions just started recently), and Jalkut is worried that Apple regulations means he won't be able to call his upcoming iPhone app by the same name as his widely used Mac app. "Which, as you can imagine," he told me, "is kind of a challenge and a problem."

**** First RS-232 To Dock Connector Interface Approved By Apple, Controls Telescope <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/04/first-rs-232-to-dock-connector-interface-approved-by-apple-cont/>
Victor Agreda, Jr., TUAW

**** MacBook Air A Lovely, Pricey Machine <http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-macbook-air-pricey-machine.html>
Troy Wolverton, PhysOrg

For its light weight and blazing fast speed, I think the Air is more than worth the trade-offs.

**** Apple's Xserve Hits End Of Life, Order Yours Before Jan, 31 <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/05/apples-xserve-hits-end-of-life-order-yours-before-jan-31/>
Sam Abuelsamid, TUAW

The server chassis will not be available for sale after January, but the 160 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB drive modules will still be available for sale until the end of next year. Apple has posted a transition document on its website that recommends either the Mac Mini server or Mac Pro with Snow Leopard Server as alternatives.

**** Printing Tips For Outlook 2011 <http://www.macworld.com/article/154728/2010/11/outlookprint.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

**** I Feel Bad About My Memory <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/books/05book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Janet Maslin, New York Times

Nora Ephron worries about a failing memory in the title piece of “I Remember Nothing,” her inviting new collection of essays. But even her most amnesiac readers still remember “I Feel Bad About My Neck,” the 2006 collection that this new book closely resembles. That resemblance is helpful in some ways and alarming in others.

**** The Soul Of Miso <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-miso-20101104,0,3859540.story>
Sonoko Sakai, Los Angeles Times

Of all the things he could have done in life, Kenji Tsukamoto has chosen to grow mold for a living. He is a fourth-generation koji-ya, or artisanal "mold maker," on Sado island on the western coast of Niigata, Japan. It's rare to find a traditional koji-ya in Japan these days.

**** Superman <http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101104/REVIEWS08/101109987/-1/RSS>
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

In fact, Richard Donner's "Superman" (1978) is surprisingly slow-starting. The scenes of young Clark Kent's boyhood and adolescence might seem pointless if we didn't know, "and someday…that child will grow up to be Superman." The high school football scene, where the future Man of Steel gets bullied and has a cute girl snatched away from him, pay off later in establishing Clark Kent as a shy and, yes, mild-mannered reporter. But they also raise the intriguing question: Who is this being, anyway.

**** Full Dark, No Stars By Stephen King – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/05/full-dark-stephen-king-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Neil Gaiman, Guardian

These are stories of retribution and complicity: of crimes that seem inevitable, of ways that we justify the world to ourselves and ourselves to the world. Powerful, and each in its own way profoundly nasty.

**** Reconsidering The Lobster Roll <http://www.salon.com/life/sustainable_food/index.html?story=/food/feature/2010/11/04/fish_farm>
Michelle Loayza, Salon

Fish farms might be the key to sustainable seafood, but visiting one made me think twice about the lunch I wanted.

**** In Search Of The Great European Novel <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2010/nov/05/great-european-novel-conrad-festival?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
James Hopkin, Guardian

With Jonathan Franzen's Freedom installed as the latest contender for the Great American Novel, will there ever be a European equivalent - and would we even see it in English?

**** Will Chiam And Lim Reconcile? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101105-0000106/Will-Chiam-and-Lim-reconcile?>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

With the Reform Party (RP) announcing yesterday that it has withdrawn its application to join the SDA, the question on the minds of political observers is: Will this pave the way for reconciliation between the pair?

**** You Can Cage The Singer <http://www.economist.com/node/17419873?story_id=17419873&fsrc=rss>
The Economist

Yet Mr Shadrake’s lawyer, M. Ravi, remained optimistic after the verdict, even arguing that the judge had advanced the cause of freedom of expression in Singapore a bit by making it harder to bring these contempt cases. Critics say Singapore’s courts have set a low bar; prosecutors simply have to show that a defendant could have given an average reader an impression of judicial bias or impropriety. This is in contrast to many other jurisdictions, which require that, for there to be contempt, a comment must create a “real risk” of prejudicing the administration of justice. According to Mr Ravi, this “historic” ruling allowed the “real risk” defence for the first time. Mr Ravi felt his client had done relatively well in the case.

**** 革新党打消加入民联 将探讨如何让詹时中加入“梦之队” <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101105_012.shtml>
蔡添成, 联合早报

革新党昨天宣布打消加入新加坡民主联盟的念头,不过将继续探讨如何让民联成员党新加坡人民党秘书长、波东巴西区议员詹时中加入革新党的“梦之队”,以在来临的大选中角逐集选区议席。

秘书长肯尼思在文告中指出,革新党注意到传媒对民联内斗的报道,已决定放弃加入民联。

**** 我知为何而战 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101105_001.shtml>
李源鉴, 联合早报

为谁而战? 为自己而战,为自己的亲人而战,为辛苦的老新移民所结果实而战,为这个供给我们食衣住行育乐之地而战。离开此地,别无她处。

**** MARUAH被列为政治团体 不可接受外国人政治捐款 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101105_006.shtml>
联合早报

亚细安人权机制新加坡工作组MARUAH,已在昨天获得社团注册局批准在社团法下正式成立。

李显龙总理也同时援引政治捐款法条文,把这个非政府组织列为受相关条文管制的政治团体(Political Association)。

**** SIA Resumes A380 Flights After Precautionary Checks <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1091487/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** New Rule For All Assisted Reproduction Centres <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/11/05/new-rule-for-all-assisted-reproduction-centres/>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

All assisted reproduction (AR) centres will now be allowed to only handle one AR related specimen – for instance, sperm, oocyte or embryo – at a time, the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced yesterday.

This follows the discovery that Thomson Fertility Centre had given a couple the wrong sperm during in-vitro fertilisation (IVF), as reported in The Straits Times (ST) on Wednesday.

**** Tokyo Bourse:Won't Oppose ASX Takeover By Singapore <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE6A404420101105>
Reuters

The Tokyo Stock Exchange will not oppose a plan by the Singapore Exchange, in which it holds a 5 percent stake, to take over Australia's ASX Ltd, the TSE's CEO said, bolstering the plan to create Asia's fourth-largest stock market.

**** Peter Lloyd: Journo Jailbird Reveals All After Six Months Behind Bars <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/peter-lloyd-journo-jailbird-reveals-all-876542>
John Davidson and Charlene Fang, CNNGo

Imagine going to a school in the tropics, so it’s concrete and metal bars. It’s clean, it’s painted, cream colors, pink doors on the cells, blue doors everywhere else.

And every time one of the doors opened it sounded like that sound from "Law & Order." It really exists! It looks like what it is -- a cheap, government-built institution. It’s relentlessly concrete and there’s no finishing, there are no fancy touches.

**** Can We Still Trust SM Goh? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/11/04/should-we-trust-sm-goh-any-more/>
New Temasek Review

It is not because SM Goh does not care. The problem is that he does not understand.

**** A Tale Of Two Cities <http://thebluesweater.blogspot.com/2010/11/tale-of-two-cities.html>
The Blue Sweater

The sense of insecurity of born-and-bred Singaporeans is only symptomatic of a bigger problem: a lack of a sense of purpose.

**** Singapore Suppresses Dissident <http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2010/nov/05/singapore-suppresses-dissident/>
Drew Henderson, Yale Daily News

The Singaporean government is disciplining a British author for a book that criticizes the country’s judiciary system, but administrators said Yale will continue with plans to establish a liberal arts college in the island nation.

Garry Rodan, a professor of political science at Murdoch University in Perth, Australia and an expert in Singaporean politics, said teaching in a tight political climate such as Singapore’s can encourage professors to self-censor to avoid controversy with the government without realizing they are doing so. Yale, Rodan said, could play an important role in opening up Singapore’s academic culture, but this would require the University to be “firm and clear” about its independence and mission.

**** MFA Regrets Release <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_599781.html>
Straits Times

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Friday expressed regret on the Romanian court's decision to release former diplomat Silviu Ionescu from judicial supervision.

Said an MFA spokesman, in response to media queries: 'We have to respect the Court's decision but understand that the Romanian Prosecutors' Office is appealing against the decision.