[MyAppleMenu] Mar 20, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 20 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Bugs & Fixes: Ringtones Won't Play In iTunes <http://www.macworld.com/article/147231/2010/03/itunes_ringtones.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

A bug in iTunes 9.0.3 affects your ability to play ringtones from iTunes on your Mac.

**** Zooom Gives You Better Window Control <http://www.macworld.com/article/147234/2010/03/zooom.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Zooom is a capable substitute for one of my favorite all-time Gems, MondoMouse, letting you more-easily move and resize windows. It even offers a few unique features of its own.

**** Apple Begins Accepting iPad Apps On The App Store <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/03/19/apple_begins_accepting_ipad_apps_on_the_app_store.html>
AppleInsider

Apple on Friday afternoon opened the floodgates for developers authoring software for its forthcoming iPad, allowing them to begin submitting the applications to its App Store for approval.

**** iPad Ad Goes Viral <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10469645-71.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Chris Matyszczyk, CNET News

Apple's launch ad for its "magical and revolutionary" product succeeds in attracting 2.4 million views online, making it the second-most-watched online ad.

**** Apple Vs. Amazon: The E-Book War Rages On <http://mashable.com/2010/03/19/apple-amazon-war/>
Mashable.com

**** Apple Offers 10-pack iPad Bundles For Educational Use <http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/03/19/ipad.discounts.range.from.20.to.40.per.device/>
MacNN

Apple has begun offering 10-pack iPad bundles for educational institutions, with a modest discount for quantity purchases. Each package includes ten iPads paired with USB-to-Dock Connector cables and power adapters, while a single set of documentation is shipped with each order.

**** The iPad May Change Computing, Just Not Your Life <http://gigaom.com/2010/03/19/the-ipad-may-change-computing-just-not-your-life-2/>
Ryan Block, GigaOM

The first time you walk into an Apple Store and pick up an iPad, you’ll understand the hype: Apple has managed to create a beautiful, thoughtfully designed, compelling product in a space where mediocrity was, until now, status quo. But odds are you probably won’t buy one — at least not yet. And that’s OK.

**** How Not To Title A Novel <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2010/mar/19/how-not-to-title-a-novel?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Darragh McManus, The Guardian

Apparently book titles can't be copyrighted – I was going to call my first tome Confessions of an English Opium Eater, before my advisers counselled against it – which might explain why so many of them sound so familiar to me. Certainly, particular books of a particular genre always seem to have similar names.

**** Juliet Gardiner On Writing Non-fiction <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/mar/20/thirties-intimate-history-juliet-gardiner?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Juliet Gardiner, The Guardian

Non-fiction writers have many advantages over fiction writers: the most profound being, as Richard Holmes said when he was writing his biography of the poet Shelley, "At least I always have the man."

**** The Pasta Cure <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/books/review/Brzezinski-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Mika Brzezinski, New York Times

A memoir of how cooking helped save the marriage of Paula Butturini and her husband, reporters traumatized by war.

**** At Close Range <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/books/review/Royte-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Elizabeth Royte, New York Times

John McPhee writes on golf and lacrosse, food and fact-checkers, and, this time, himself.

**** The Making Of The President, Then And Now <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/books/review/Abramson-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jill Abramson, New York Times

The great campaign books of the past are about more than the back-room drama that dominates recent releases.

**** A Collective Opposition Roar? Not Just Yet <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2010/03/collective-opposition-roar-not-just-yet.html>
Yaw Shin Leong

**** Club Hasn't Deviated From Mission To Serve NSmen <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_504254.html>
Tang Mun Poh, National Service Resort & Country Club, Straits Times

In the initial years of the club's set-up, corporate bodies were asked to support national service by buying corporate membership. This was to raise funds to help cover the club's development costs so fees could be kept low for NSmen. Entrance fees from corporate members contributed significantly to the club's development costs.

We have not actively marketed corporate membership for more than 13 years, and today corporate members constitute less than 1 per cent of our membership base. For this small group, we have to honour our obligations to them as they have given their support to the club in its initial years.

**** Singapore Airlines Sacks Staff, Closes All Operations In Pakistan <http://www.newkerala.com/news/fullnews-73925.html>
New Kerala

Singapore Airlines (SIA) has closed its operations in Pakistan due to the deteriorating security condition in the country.

**** Subway Eyes Big Slice Of Singapore Market <http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/SME%2BCentral/Story/A1Story20100318-205338.html>
Jonathan Kwok, Straits Times

American sandwich chain Subway aims to double the number of its outlets in Singapore from 77 to about 150 in just five years - and has fast-food leader McDonald's clearly in its sights.

**** Red Light Area Gets Out Of Line <http://www.thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2010/3/20/columnists/insightdownsouth/5893070&sec=Insight>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

With Singapore allowing in a million foreigners in the past 10 years, it just had to happen. Recent police crackdowns on hot spots was an eye-opener on how deep organised crime has dug in.

**** Singapore Jewelers Selling Tiger Parts: Report <http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE62I2IE20100319>
Neil Chatterjee, Reuters

Some jewelry shops in Singapore are illegally selling tiger parts, helping fuel the disappearance of the big cat from Asia, a local animal protection group said on Friday. A three-month investigation by Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (ACRES) found that 59 out of 134 jewelry and antique shops it visited in the Southeast Asian city-state were allegedly selling tiger parts, including claws, teeth and pieces of skin.

**** Singapore: Small Nation, Big Dreams <http://blog.machinedesign.com/Machine_Design_Blogs/2010/03/19/singapore-small-nation-big-dreams/>
Leslie Gordon, Machine Design

A main theme that pops out over and over: Take a holostic approach to development, whether it be a product or a whole nation’s economy.

**** DeKalb Lawmaker Confirmed As Singapore Ambassador <http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/dekalb-lawmaker-confirmed-as-384845.html>
Jim Tharpe, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Singapore has only 5 million citizens, but it is a business crossroads and a major military force in Southeast Asia. U.S. aircraft carriers frequently dock there -- its port is one of the world’s busiest. Singapore’s navy has recently taken on a major role in the battle against seaborne piracy.

“Singapore is a country that punches above its weight,” Adelman said. “They are a relatively small country, but they have a very powerful economy.”

**** Decide On Domestic Politics <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_504458.html>
Chua Chin Hon, Straits Times

Singapore's domestic politics is something for Singaporeans to decide for themselves, the incoming US Ambassador to Singapore clarified.

Mr David Adelman's remarks during an earlier nomination hearing - that he would use public diplomacy to promote political freedom in Singapore - stirred some controversy among Singaporeans who felt a diplomat should not interfere in his host country's domestic politics.