[MyAppleMenu] Mar 3, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 3 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Lawsuit Stokes Apple, HTC Fans' Passion <http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10462203-260.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Erica Ogg, CNET News

As Apple and HTC prepare to duke it out inside a courtroom, fans of both companies' smartphones are taking sides on the web.

**** RedEye Mini Converts iPhone, iPad Or iPod Touch Into IR-Beaming Universal Remote <http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/redeye-mini-converts-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch-into-ir-beaming/>
Darren Murph, Engadget

**** The Complaint: Apple’s Patent Lawsuit Against HTC Is All About Android <http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/02/the-complaint-apples-patent-lawsuit-against-htc-is-all-about-android/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29>
Erick Schonfeld, TechCrunch

As expected, this lawsuit is about Android. HTC, of course, is one of the largest manufacturers of Android handsets.

**** What Apple Vs. HTC Could Mean <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/what-apple-vs-htc-could-mean/?ref=technology>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

The lawsuit that Apple filed on Tuesday against HTC, the mobile handset maker, opens up a lot of questions about the future of Android phones like the Nexus One and the cellphone market in general. But it could also have an effect on consumers, specifically those who have purchased HTC Android phones.

**** What Is That $1 MobileMe Charge From Apple? <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11053?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

In essence, a month before automatic renewal, Apple charges your credit card $1.00 to verify that it's still good, and 3 to 5 business days later, refunds the money to your card. So most people don't even see the charge. It was only because Citibank's fraud warning system noticed that we were alerted.

**** iPad: Apple Store Employees Will Experience Device On March 10 <http://www.examiner.com/x-11295-LA-Gadgets-Examiner~y2010m3d2-iPad-Apple-store-employees-will-experience-device-on-March-10>
Daryl Deino, Examiner.com

Apple store employees may complain that they are underpaid. However, they will get the first glimpse of the hottest gadget in years, the iPad, on March 10. This will be around the time training begins for the device.

**** Apple's Patent Slap On Android & HTC Products May Be The Tip Of The Legal Iceberg <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=6171&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

In the world of legal rights, whether patent or copyrights, the owner must defend its rights or lose them. According to Apple’s patent complaint filed on Tuesday, Cupertino has other actions already moving along in the courts.

**** Apple's Smartphone Battle Plan <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2010/tc2010032_755256.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Apple's attempt to block the import of smartphones made by HTC Corp. underscores the growing prominence of the International Trade Commission in settling patent disputes over smartphones, one of the fastest-growing areas in technology.

**** HTC Says It Uses Own Technology, Not Apple's <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9164918/HTC_says_it_uses_own_technology_not_Apple_s?taxonomyId=17>
Dan Nystedt, IDG News Service

Smartphone maker High Tech Computer (HTC) on Wednesday defended itself against accusations of patent infringement by Apple, saying it develops its own technology.

**** Watching <i>Shrek</i> In Tehran <http://www.believermag.com/issues/201003/?read=article_edwards>
Brian T. Edwards, The Believer

The seen and the unseen in Iranian cinema.

**** Old Age, From Youth’s Narrow Prism <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/health/02case.html>
Marc E. Agronin, New York Times

All of us lapse into such mistaken impressions of old age from time to time. It stems in part from an age-centered perspective, in which we view our own age as the most normal of times, the way all life should be. At 18 the 50-year-olds may seem ancient, but at 50 we are apt to say the same about the 80-year-olds.

**** Milk In A Can Goes Glam <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=140fe6d0cb203e2f5e41b9a9ae1e62a4>
Julia Moskin, New York Times

Sweetened condensed milk is everywhere. There’s probably a can or two lurking in your cabinets. It is the key to Key lime pie; it brings the sweet to Vietnamese coffee; it went to Rio for Carnaval last month in the shape of brigadeiros, bite-size balls of milk fudge that are a Brazilian national treat.

But Victoria Belanger, a photographer also known as the Jello Mold Mistress of Brooklyn, may have a unique relationship with the stuff.

**** Let’s Fight Free Speech With Free Speech <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/03/lets-fight-free-speech-with-free-speech/>
George Hwang, The Online Citizen

As the incident show, Singaporeans no longer take what they consider disinformation or misinformation sitting down. In the long-run, we need to decide whether to have greater state intervention against such inappropriate remarks or to change its laws regarding the subject of sexual orientation and gender identity.

**** Catch-22 For Cyclists <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100303-0000057/Catch-22-for-cyclists>
Allan Pek, Today

But if cyclists are also unable to cycle on pedestrian walkways when there is heavy traffic on the roads, then where do we ride? At the end of the day, we cyclists have to put safety first, and cycle on pathways even if it means getting fined for it - because life is more precious.

What Mr Pek is essentially saying, "my life is precious, so I should ride on pedestrian walkways. Your life, you pedestrians, are not precious."

**** Sorry For The Inconvenience: MFA <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100303-0000058/Sorry-for-the-inconvenience--MFA>
Sudesh Maniar, Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Today

We apologise for the inconvenience caused to Mr Lee with the less-than-flexible attitude shown by our embassy staff. While this is not an excuse, the staff who attended to Mr Lee was a temporary assistant who had been with the embassy for only three days. As she is new, she did not surface Mr Lee's appeal to our Singaporean staff. We have since counselled her.

**** Low Productivity Not Our Workers’ Fault: WP’s Low <http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/03/low-productivity-not-our-workers-fault-wps-low/>
Gerald Giam

Workers’ Party chief Low Thia Khiang has slammed the PAP government for seemingly suggesting that Singaporean workers have only themselves to blame for their low incomes, because of their low productivity and skills. He said it was easy to blame our local workforce for low productivity when it was the government which opened the floodgates to foreign workers.

**** PAP And Opposition MPs Raise Concerns Over Foreign Worker Levy <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3878>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Merely raising the foreign worker levy will not help in undoing the disastrous policy of importing foreign workers too liberally, nor will it improve the lot of Singaporean workers who are suffering from the brunt of unregulated and unfettered competition.

**** 梁廷玮:团结党有意攻裕廊集选区 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100303_030.shtml>
联合早报

负责武吉巴督区事务的裕廊集选区议员翁执中博士2008年7月逝世后,其议席就一直悬空着。去年初,国民团结党的梁廷玮开始在涵盖武吉巴督的裕廊集选区活动,难免让一些人觉得团结党是“乘虚而入”。然而,梁廷玮受访时强调,团结党有意在来届大选角逐裕廊集选区,纯粹因为该反对党“从来没去过裕廊集选区竞选”。

**** No Convincing Reason To Believe That The MDP Works <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/03/no-reason-that-mdp-works/>
Wong Chun Han, The Online Citizen

Perhaps the most prominent aspect of a mandatory death penalty is the absence of a judicial discretion in relation to the most extraordinary sentence in our criminal law. The judge trying the case can only determine guilt or innocence, and once that is done, the death penalty automatically follows.

This goes against the grain of modern penological thinking that the punishment ought to fit not only the crime, but the criminal. It means that the judge should have the power and the duty to take into account the personal circumstances of the offender and especially whether there are significant reasons why, although the offender did indeed offend, the punishment ought not to be death – the maximum permissible by the law.

**** ST Fails To Mention That Author Of Its Article On HDB Flats Being Affordable Sits On HDB Board <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/03/03/st-fails-to-mention-that-author-of-its-article-on-hdb-flats-being-affordable-sits-on-hdb-board/>
The Temasek Review

Last Saturday, the Straits Times published a highly debatable commentary written by two NUS professors Tu Yong and Yu Shi Ming on HDB flats still being affordable in Singapore.

Though Straits Times included a footnote at the bottom of the article that both authors are from the Department of Real Estate, National University of Singapore, it omitted the fact that Professor Yu Shi Ming sits on the board of HDB and is a grassroots leader of West Coast as well.

**** ProKit 5.1 (Leopard And Snow Leopard) <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11054?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

Apple has released ProKit 5.1 (Leopard and Snow Leopard), an update to operating system-level components shared by the company's professional and semi-professional applications .

**** Singapore, EU To Discuss Free-Trade Deal <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704548604575098701215708946.html?mod=WSJ_World_LEFTSecondNews>
Sam Holmes, Wall Street Journal

Singapore's Ministry of Trade and Industry said Wednesday it will commence negotiations with the city-state's largest trading partner, the European Union, on a free-trade agreement next week. Singapore, which has a hub-focused open economy highly dependent on global trade, has free-trade agreements with several governments including the U.S., Japan, India and Australia.

**** Economic Daily News: Singapore Tops Taiwan In Innovation <http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.aspx?ID=201003030009&Type=aOPN>
Flor Wang, Focus Taiwan News Channel

**** Craps In Parliament <http://singapore-lighthouse.blogspot.com/2010/03/craps-in-parliament.html>
Phare Anderson, Singapore Social and Political Thoughts

There are many PAP MPs who are "concerned" about the high prices of HDB flats and the Impact of higher foreign workers' levy to businesses. Where are these MPs when their own party's policy of Open Door immigration policy opened the gates to allow so many immigration to compete with Singaporeans?

**** How Does That Work? <http://pngapore.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-does-that-work.html>
Times They Are A-Changin'

**** Sundaresh Menon To Be New AG In Oct; Walter Woon To Return To Teaching <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1041246/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore will have a new attorney-general on October 1 this year. He is Mr Sundaresh Menon, senior counsel and managing partner of Rajah and Tann LLP. Prof Woon has decided to return to the Law Faculty of the National University of Singapore (NUS) to resume his teaching appointment when his two-year term ends on April 10.

**** Prudential Taps Temasek To Help Fund AIA Acquisition - Sources <http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100303-703828.html?mod=WSJ_Deals_LEFTLatestHeadlines>
Dow Jones

Prudential PLC is in talks with Singapore state-investment company Temasek Holdings Pte. to possibly support a share offering the U.K. insurer is planning so it can finance its acquisition of American Insurance Group's (AIG) Asian operations, two people familiar with the situation said Wednesday.