[MyAppleMenu] Jun 22, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 22 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Hands On With iOS 4 Folders <http://www.macworld.com/article/152168/2010/06/ios4folders.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** 8 Subtle Changes You May (Or May Not) Notice In iOS 4 <http://nikf.org/post/722500438/8-subtle-changes-you-may-or-may-not-notice-in-ios-4>
Nik Fletcher

Every time Apple releases a new OS update, be it on the Mac or iPhone, there’s a bucketload of smaller - lesser-spotted - changes that appear in the system. iOS 4 very much continues this trend, so whilst you’re busy perusing the new update today here’s 8 little changes you may (or may not) spot.

**** Transfer Time Machine Backups <http://www.macworld.com/article/152179/2010/06/transfer_time_machine.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Pandora For iOS 4 Hits The Streets <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/21/pandora-for-ios-4-hits-the-streets/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

Not a minute too soon! As expected, Pandora has updated the much-loved music app for the iPhone to version 3.1. This build will (drumroll) allow you to keep playing music when you move on to something else.

**** Spotlight On iOS 4: Hands On With Mail <http://www.macworld.com/article/152162/2010/06/ios4mailhandson.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Easily the most-requested feature for iPhone Mail (or at least the one I’ve heard the most over the past few years) has been a unified inbox—a single inbox that displays incoming messages from all your accounts. Mail in iOS 4 provides just that: The top level of the Mail-screen hierarchy continues to display a list of your Mail accounts, but above that you’ll now find a new Inboxes section.

**** Spotlight On iOS 4: Changes To The Photos App <http://www.macworld.com/article/152157/2010/06/ios4_photosapp_firstlook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Heather Kelly, Macworld

The biggest change will be familiar to iPad users: The addition of Events, Faces, and Places support. While you can't create new events or tag faces on the iPhone, you can sync existing collections from iPhoto or Aperture.

**** Exploring iOS 4's Multimedia Features <http://www.macworld.com/article/152156/2010/06/ios4_multimedia.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

While iOS 4 brings significant changes to many areas of the iPhone and iPod touch, the changes found in the iPod (iPhone) and Music and Videos (iPod touch) apps are mostly refinements of existing features.

**** Feature: Ars Reviews IOS 4: What's New, Notable, And What Needs Work <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/06/ars-reviews-ios-4-whats-new-and-notable.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

We'll say up front that we like the update. For iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G users (as well as second- and third-generation iPod touch users), iOS 4 will add useful functionality that will make your device more useable than ever. There are, however, some obvious downsides, and we'll address those in this review.

**** Complete Review: Apple iOS 4 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/557153/review/ios_4.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Make no mistake, multitasking is the lynchpin of iOS 4; for better or worse, the rest is just window dressing—though welcome window dressing, to be sure.

**** Apple Releases iBooks 1.1 Update For iPhone, iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/152185/2010/06/ibooks_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

Released as a 1.1 update, iBooks is now a universal app for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad; it debuted on the latter device back in April. This latest version brings a number of new features to the reading experience, including bookmarks, the ability to highlight passages, and note-taking capabilities. All of these annotations can stay in sync across your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, too.

**** iOS 4 Available For Download <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11373?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

Apple made iOS 4 available for free download today for owners of newer iPhone and iPod touch models.

**** iOS 4: What You Need To Know <http://www.macworld.com/article/152167/2010/06/ios4_need_to_know.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Macworld

We’ve got the answers to your questions about the mobile OS update.

**** Windows Live Messenger For iPhone Hits App Store <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/06/windows-live-messenger-iphone-hits-app-store/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Joe White, App Advice

The iPhone and iPod Touch application allows users to connect to their Windows Live account, and chat with friends through Windows Live Messenger or Y! Messenger. The app still allows messages to be received when it’s closed, which is an added (but expected) bonus.

**** Apple Collecting, Sharing iPhone Users' Precise Locations <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/06/apple-location-privacy-iphone-ipad.html>
David Sarno, Los Angeles Times

In an updated version of its privacy policy, the company added a paragraph noting that once users agree, Apple and unspecified "partners and licensees" may collect and store user location data.

The company says the data is anonymous and does not personally identify users. Analysts have shown, however, that large, specific data sets can be used to identify people based on behavior patterns.

**** Apple Allows Opt Out For Interest-Based iAds <http://www.macworld.com/article/152186/2010/06/iads_optout.html>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

You may not be able to completely shut off Apple’s new iAds system when it shows up on iOS 4 devices in July, but at the very least, you can stop it from using your personal information to tailor ads to you.

**** Apple’s Small Problem: iOS 4 And iPhone 4 One-Up The iPad <http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/21/ios-4-iphone-4-ipad/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

Apple could resolve half of this problem this Fall with a unificationof iOS 4 for both iPhone/iPod touch and the iPad. But the hardware bifurcation between the lines may linger. I suspect Apple may try to ship new iPads in the January timeframe in the future, while it continues to ship new iPhones in the June timeframe to create a greater time gap between this split.

**** No, Mac OS X Isn't Going Anywhere <http://www.infoworld.com/t/mobile-platforms/no-mac-os-x-isnt-going-anywhere-295>
Paul Venezia, InfoWorld

Why would you centralize on a single operating system that's tasked with everything from cell phone calls to addressing high-end graphics and audio interfaces, especially when you have two perfectly good ways of handling those use cases now?

**** Got iLife’s iWeb? iWeb Buddy Adds More Features <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/got-ilifes-iweb-iweb-buddy-adds-more-features/>
Jeffrey Mincey, Mac 360

If you’re serious about using iWeb instead of a more advanced web page management system, then iWeb Buddy’s extras will be worth the effort and expense.

**** Google Apps Phone-lock Issues With iOS 4 <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/21/google-apps-issues-with-ios-4/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

In a strange twist with what appears to be a security issue, users of Google Apps who set up their accounts using the Microsoft Exchange settings (aka ActiveSync) may find that their iPhones have been set to auto-lock in one minute.

**** Apple Telling Customers To Expect iPhone 4 A Day Early, June 23 <http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/21/iphone-4-pre-order-delivery/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

**** Ars Reviews Adobe Lightroom 3 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/06/adobe-lightroom-3-review.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Dave Girard, Ars Technica

Adobe has capitalized on Lightroom's strengths and worked hard to fix its weaknesses, and all that effort has clearly paid off.

**** Parade Of iOS 4 Apps Embrace New Features <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/parade-of-ios-4-apps-embrace-new-features/7266>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

A bunch of apps have already been updated for iOS 4 and now display “iOS 4.0 Tested” in the description. Here are a couple of the better ones.

**** Apple To Open New Direct Perth Store <http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/350793/apple_open_new_direct_perth_store/?fp=4&fpid=56735>
ARN

**** Letter To John Updike <http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2010/jun/21/letter-to-john-updike/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Nicholson Baker, The New York Review of Books

I read three quarters of your “Constellation of Events” just now on a nice, sunny Sunday morning subway ride on the D line, having borrowed that New Yorker from my girlfriend, and, having to stop in the middle of your story and get out and walk home, I had a thought, being still under the oddly peaceful emotional umbrella of your story: I had it, in fact, just walking under the awning of a tuxedo shop: I thought what an amazing thing that Mr. Updike has been writing all the years that I have been growing up, and how I have come to depend on the idea that he is writing away as a soothing idea, and then I was reminded of Trollope, and how nice it must have been for writers back then to go about their lives knowing that Mr. Trollope was going to have a new book coming out soon, that it would be good; and they might not read all of the things he wrote, but they would read some, and they would know that what they didn’t read they were missing, but were comforted also that they knew what kind of man he was because they had already read a lot of what he wrote; and the idea they had of the man who gradually had written all these books was a powerful, happy thing in their lives.

**** Numberplay: Spooky Action At A Distance <http://wordplay.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/21/numberplay-spooky-action-at-a-distance/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Pradeep Mutalik, New York Times

Today we will explore a fundamental and almost unbelievable result of Quantum Mechanics (QM) through a set of simple puzzles. This famous result is “Bell’s Interconnectedness Theorem” which was discovered by the physicist John Stewart Bell in 1964. Bell’s theorem has been called by physicist Henry Stapp “the most profound discovery of Science.” It is profound because it shows that the universe has the property of non-locality: two particles can be light years apart, yet they are linked to each other instantaneously.

**** The Breeders' Cup <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704289504575313201221533826.html>
Bryan Caplan, Wall Street Journal

Amid the Father's Day festivities, many of us are privately asking a Scroogely question: "Having kids—what's in it for me?" An economic perspective on happiness, nature and nurture provides an answer: Parents' sacrifice is much smaller than it looks, and much larger than it has to be.

**** Butterfly Trail At Orchard Rd To Raise Interest In Nature <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1064702/1/.html>
Sona Remesh, Channel NewsAsia

For a start, 900 shrubs and 24 trees have been planted along Nassim Road, including the so-called "nectar plants", which will attract butterflies to the area.

**** A “Learning Experience” For Weak Leaders <http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/06/a-learning-experience-for-weak-leaders/>
Gerald Giam

The problem in Singapore is that our political leaders have it so easy that they are becoming complacent and weak. With no adversarial press, strong opposition or active civil society to keep them on their toes, they are just coasting along and collecting their $150k++ salary each month–plus “performance” bonuses at the end of the year.

**** Foreign Banks Here Roll Out EPins Cards <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/Singaporeinbrief/EDC100622-0000104/Foreign-banks-here-roll-out-EPins-cards>
Today

Foreign banks in Singapore are offering their version of the Nets debit card, called EPins.

**** Noise Pollution Complaints Fall On Deaf Ears <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_543796.html>
Jim Tietjen, Straits Times

**** <i>The Lion King</i> To Debut In Singapore In March 2011 <http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/06-2010/the-lion-king-to-debut-in-singapore-in-march-2011_28304.html>
Andy Propst, TheaterMania.com

The Tony Award-winning musical The Lion King will make its debut in Southeast Asia in March 2011 at Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. Casting and creative team will be announced in January.

This was originally scheduled for October 2010.

**** Release Minutes Of SMRT AGMs <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/3837-release-minutes-of-smrt-agms>
Singapore Democrat Party

**** Butterfly Trail At Orchard <http://www.nss.org.sg/about_BTO.html>
Nature Society (Singapore)

This community-led project aims to illustrate Singapore’s focus on urban biodiversity: to ensure we have a balance of cityscape and nature and to protect this as part of the lifestyle for future generations.

**** Paying For Monkeys <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/06/paying-for-monkeys/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

One can only wonder why the Prime Minister feels that his leadership is not needed at this time and why he prefers to, as it were, bury his head in the sand.

**** The Great Singapore Sale Gimmick <http://blog.cyberpartygal.com/index.php/2010/06/the-great-singapore-sale-gimmick/>
She Rambles On

Nothing that I saw in Singapore was cheaper than the same items sold here in Malaysia. Nothing in Singapore is not available in Kuala Lumpur, and at a cheaper price too.

**** 中国学子新加坡求学 几经拼博入世界名校 <http://interedu.cyol.com/content/2010-06/22/content_3288779.htm>
丁绮, 科教新报

**** Alright, Who Really Is Paying For Public Transport? <http://findmuck.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/alright-who-really-is-paying/>
The Mind Game

**** 美丽新加坡给我们上一堂环保课 <http://www.gdzjdaily.com.cn/zjnews/zjpolitics/2010-06/21/content_1220800.htm>
钟忠, 湛江日报

有着花园城市国家之称的新加坡,在小小的国土上却矗立着年产8000万吨的炼油“王国”。我们应该如何跟上新加坡的脚步,迈向蓬勃的发展之道?

**** When Public Servants Make the Difference <http://blogs.gartner.com/andrea_dimaio/2010/06/21/when-public-servants-make-the-difference/>
Andrea DiMaio, Gartner

**** Slingin' In Singapore <http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2010/06/slingin’-in-singapore/>
Lisa Lubin, Britannica

**** Toll Charges At Second Link To Go Down By 30% From Aug 1 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1064899/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Speaking at a news conference after their meeting in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday, the leaders announced that both countries will reduce their toll charges at the Second Link by 30 per cent with effect from August 1.

**** Singapore's Fragile Harmony Threatened <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/jun/22/singapore-religion-taoism-christianity>
Nazry Bahrawi, The Guardian

A Christian preacher's sermon against Taoism is only the latest in a series of controversies to unsettle Singapore's faith relations.