[MyAppleMenu] Jan 29, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jan 29 18:59:02 EST 2010

**** Various And Assorted Thoughts And Observations Regarding The Just-Announced iPad <http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/various_ipad_thoughts>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** New iPad Means iPhone Developers Need To Think Different <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=edd8c74b5d3e5ec2066cead05c785f18>
Paul Krill, InfoWorld

Software developers already building applications for Apple's wildly popular iPhone are gearing up for the new Apple tablet device announced Wednesday, anticipating new opportunities for their software as well as tweaks they will have to make to their code.

**** Adobe: We Want Flash Developers On The iPad <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=93e52d5160057ce70668bc2d0b48f422>
Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service

Adobe Systems reached out to Flash developers in the wake of Apple’s iPad announcement, saying it plans to add support for the iPad’s higher screen resolution to its upcoming Packager for iPhone development tool.

**** iPhone Developer License Points To New Devices? <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10957?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

With the iPad as a model, is it that hard to imagine an "iDesk" that's the size and orientation of a drafting table, complete with advances to the iPhone OS that make it possible to work in multiple apps simultaneously?

**** Capturing iTunes Videos <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=24b7c2a3487a566a7cd9c6ce87658736>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

You're a teacher who wants to show educational TV shows purchased from iTunes in the classroom. How?

**** One Way To Access The Mac's Boot Menu <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=50874ae2ec3e7788b1d15c319928a524>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

If you have more than one bootable drive (or partition) on your Mac, you know you can get to the boot menu by holding down the Option key at boot time. Learn another less-expected way to get to that same menu in this hint.

**** The iPad: Great For Designers And Illustrators <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=79a0c9e8e78b7cb2864ee1f52dd0389b>
Neil Bennett and Matt Egan, Digital-Arts-Magazine

So the long-anticipated Apple iPad is finally here. It's a device that's supposed to take on netbooks at their own game and win. What are the benefits for artists and designers?

**** McGraw-Hill On iPad Launch: We Didn't Get Booted; We Weren't Part Of It <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10444004-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
John Paczkowski, All Things Digital

Though it may have seemed like another of Apple's perfectly timed third-party leaks (and I certainly mistook it for that), McGraw-Hill CEO Terry McGraw's remarks to CNBC earlier this week were nothing of the sort. The publisher tells me that it was not privy to iPad prelaunch details and that to conclude otherwise is a misinterpretation of McGraw's comments.

**** Drama, No Dilemma, Over iPad Name <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704194504575031532455016738.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Suzanne Vranica and Amir Efrati, Wall Street Journal

**** We Can iHandle It, AT&T Says <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=93e67866dd147457468d4bba18fcb7fe>
Jenna Wortham, New York Times

During a call to investors and analysts on Thursday, John Stankey, president of AT&T’s operations division, said the company was gearing up for the introduction of new smartphones and the iPad on its network.

**** iPad About <http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/>
Stephen Fry

Well bless my soul and whiskers. This is the first time I’ve joined the congregation at the Church of Apple for a new product launch. I’ve watched all the past ones, downloaded the Quicktime movies and marvelled as Apple’s leader has stood before an ovating faithful and announced the switch to Intel, the birth of iPod, the miniMac, the iTunes Store, OS X, iPhoto, the swan’s neck iMac, the Shuffle, Apple retail stores, the iPhone, the titanium powerbook, Garageband, the App Store and so much more. But today I finally made it. I came to San Francisco for the launch of the iPad. Oh, happy man.

**** Apple Chip Marks Strategy Shift <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703410004575029552802067376.html?mod=rss_Today's_Most_Popular>
Don Clark, Wall Street Journal

**** Forget All The "Open" Talk -- Apple Should Remain "Closed" <http://www.businessinsider.com/should-apple-be-more-open-2010-1>
Chris Dixon, Business Insider

**** Will Apple's New iPad Upend The Publishing Industry? <http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_14290117>
John Boudreau and Scott Duke Harris, San Jose Mercury News

Apple pioneered new business models with its online iTunes music outlet and App Store for the iPhone. But as it prepares to launch the iBooks electronic bookstore for its soon-to-be-released iPad, the company is playing catch-up.

**** Apple iPad Could Give Microsoft Fits <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/012810-apple-ipad-microsoft.html>
John Fontana, Network World

Microsoft shouldn't be shaking in its boots after this week's unveiling of the Apple iPad, but the tablet computer could give the software giant fits in the future with its potential to define important device form factors as well as shape user attitudes toward alternative operating systems and cloud-based application adoption.

**** Apple Is The Zeitgeist Company <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13641_3-10443942-44.html>
Adam Richardson, CNET News

The launch of the iPad yesterday put an exclamation mark on an increasingly obvious point: Apple is the company that has captured the cultural zeitgeist. The massive hype leading up to the event--apparently achieved in a groundswell with very little effort on Apple's part--shows that it really is the "It" company right now.

**** Review: Reason 4.0 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=7f0191404b9856105a9dd42f200e942c>
Peter Kirn, Macworld

Reason 4 has a lot of competition for your music-making hours, but especially if the idea of patching elaborate custom sound configurations appeals, it shouldn't be overlooked. Yes, there are other semi-modular synthesizers that can do subtractive, wavetable, and FM synthesis like Thor – but few are as gentle on your CPU or as easy to patch. Reason's sequencer improvements and arpeggiator aren't news to anyone using modern sequencers and digital audio workstations, but then, no other software combines these features with free-form modular patching in quite the same way.

**** Why Is Maps Missing From The iPad Page On Apple Singapore? <http://www.imerlion.com/2010/01/why-is-maps-missing-from-ipad-page-on.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheSingaporeIphoneGuide+%28The+Singapore+iPhone+Guide%29>
Jimmy Yap, iMerlion

For some mysterious reason, Maps is missing from the iPad features page on Apple Singapore's website.

**** Seeing Through The Apple (And "Avatar") Hyperbole <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=b32868aeb0f75dccb201b7c848db86b6>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

There are a few similarities between Wednesday’s Apple announcement and the blockbuster movie “Avatar.” They both cost many millions of dollars and took many years to produce. They both required vast amounts of technology to build, and of course they will both make hundreds of millions of dollars for their respective companies. But they will also share another category: too much hype before their launch, and a result that comes across as intriguing and entertaining, yet sadly anticlimactic.

**** The iPad Doesn't Have A Camera, But Does It Matter? <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/kTG8vrztm6c/the-ipad-doesnt-have-a-camera-but-does-it-matter.ars>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

iPhone OS may be ready for a camera-equipped iPad in the future, if Apple ever decides to include one. But we don't feel the lack of camera will have any significant negative impact on the current-generation iPad's sales.

**** Google Proposes Geo-smart Internet Speedup <http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000026-264.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News

Google and other companies interested in the Internet's addressing system have proposed a technology they hope will get Net users to nearby servers more quickly.

**** Salinger's Genius <http://feeds.slate.com/click.phdo?i=d48e21a20194ddb971e8da44fbeec264>
Stephen Metcalf, Slate Magazine

He was the great poet of post-traumatic stress.

**** Why DFS Needs Mandarin Speakers <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_483570.html>
Keith Tam, DFS Changi Airport, Straits Times

In some shops, revenue generated from Chinese nationals can be as high as 50 per cent. With such cases becoming increasingly common, being able to converse in Mandarin is critical to the sales associate's effectiveness on the job. The dramatic growth of the spending power of Chinese nationals is a global trend that cannot be ignored.

**** Some Changes To Rochor Canal <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100129-0000079/Some-changes-to-Rochor-Canal>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

As part of the construction work of phase two of the MRT Downtown Line (DTL2), the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has started work this month on realigning 1.2km of the Rochor Canal.

**** I Am Singaporean III – The Importance Of A Good Memory <http://sturmdesjahrhunderts.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/i-am-singaporean-iii-the-importance-of-a-good-memory/>
Die neue Welle

**** Foreigners Pay More, But What’s In It For Singaporeans? <http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/01/foreigners-pay-more-but-whats-in-it-for-singaporeans/>
Gerald Giam

I fail to see how all this benefits Singaporeans. Are Singapore citizens now going to pay less when they are admitted to hospital or attend local schools? No. Is the PAP expecting Singaporeans to rub their hands with sinister glee, as they rejoice that their PR counterparts are paying more? I don’t think Singaporeans are that vindictive.

Therefore my conclusion is that this is simply a pathetic attempt to lull Singaporeans into thinking there is actually a significant distinction between the position of foreigners and Singaporeans in this country. Secondly, it seems this is another revenue-raising exercise for the government, since there has been no mention that the money saved in subsidies is going to feed into any programme that benefits Singaporeans.

**** Another Instance Of Why Political Rights Matter <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2975-another-instance-of-why-political-rights-matter>
Singapore Democrat News

Tragically, the Law Society is but a microcosm of society at large. Singaporeans, like our lawyers, shun the system that dumbs them down. They disengage, preferring to go about their own business.

**** Singapore Says Annual Growth Won't Average 5% <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704878904575030902831554016.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Se Young Lee, Wall Street Journal

Singapore's economy is unlikely to average 5% growth per year over the next 10 years, as it did in the past decade, because the city-state has become more developed, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said.

**** Endangered Animals Get New Lease Of Life In Singapore <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5htaEzetNUqM1cYBNtsG_0LxIcYnQ>
Philip Lim, AFP

>From jaguars and chimpanzees to Komodo dragons and manatees, heavily urbanised Singapore is gaining a reputation as a successful nursery for some of the world's rarest animals.

**** Deadlock Could Drive World Cup Online In Singapore <http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100129/wr_nm/us_soccer_world_rights_singapore;_ylt=AlRhpy7aioo5GP6Ly8.2Ds5T.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTJzOWdsbzJvBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAwMTI5L3VzX3NvY2Nlcl93b3JsZF9yaWdodHNfc2luZ2Fwb3JlBHBvcwM0BHNlYwN5bl9zdWJjYXRfbGlzdARzbGsDZGVhZGxvY2tjb3Vs>
Reuters

With FIFA sticking to its guns and SingTel and Starhub refusing to meet the asking price the stage could be set for a digital media company to whip the rights from under the noses of the traditional broadcasters.