[MyAppleMenu] Jan 17, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 17 18:59:01 EST 2010

**** HP, Dell Offer 3G In Laptops, So Why Not Apple? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10432133-64.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Brooke Crothers, CNET News

Apple aluminum MacBooks are definitely cool--until you want built-in 3G connectivity.

**** Udder Madness <http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2010/01/18/100118sh_shouts_allen>
Woody Allen, New Yorker

If my account of the events of the last week seems jumbled, even hysterical, forgive me. I’m usually quite placid. Truth is, the details I’m about to relate are especially unnerving, taking place as they did in such a picturesque setting. Indeed, the Pudnicks’ farm in New Jersey rivals any pastoral tableau by Constable, if not in acreage then certainly in bucolic tranquillity. A mere two hours from Broadway, where Sy Pudnick’s latest musical, “The Flesh-Eating Virus,” runs to packed houses, it is here, amid rolling hills and green meadows, that the celebrated lyricist comes to unwind and re-juice his muse. An avid weekend farmer, Pudnick and his wife, Wanda, grow their own corn, carrots, tomatoes, and a medley of other amateur crops, while their children play host to a dozen chickens, a pair of horses, a baby lamb, and yours truly. To say that for me the days up here are Shangri-La is not to oversell. I can graze, ruminate, and work over my cud, in harmony with nature, and get milked gently on schedule by Wanda Pudnick’s Kiehl’s-moisturized hands.

**** Plagiarism: In The Words Of Someone Else… There's Little New In Literature <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/17/plagiarism-books-intellectual-property-mccrum?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robert McCrum, The Guardian

A bitter, escalating row over plagiarism engulfed two French novelists last week. But artistic theft has been provoking anger, jealousy and insults since Roman times.

**** Fun Inc: Why Games Are The 21st Century's Most Serious Business By Tom Chatfield <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/17/fun-inc-games-tom-chatfield?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Naomi Alderman, The Guardian

Here is a compelling defence of the much maligned but fantastically successful computer game.

**** GDP, GNP, Good Years And Bad <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2010/01/gdp-gnp-good-years-and-bad.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rana+%28Blowin%27+In+The+Wind%29>
Blowin' In The Wind

**** Visiting Singapore – 8 Weird Laws You Should Be Aware Of <http://blog.hotelclub.com/singapore-weird-laws/>
HotelClub Travel Blog

**** Good Leadership Important To Economic Development: Singapore SM <http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2010-01/17/content_12822576.htm>
Xinhua

Singapore's senior minister Goh Chok Tong on Saturday stressed the importance of good leadership for the country's economic development. Addressing graduates from a local leadership program, Goh said it is important to have good leaders in four sectors of the country -- political sector, public service, business sector and the people sector.

**** Reader’s Reaction To Courts Looking For Workers In JB Malaysia <http://www.transitioning.org/2010/01/16/advertisement-appeared-in-jb-malaysia-looking-for-workers-in-singapore-temasek-review/>
Transitioning.org

What’s the point of sending Singaporeans for retraining? Retraining for what? A lot of Singaporeans walk around with all kinds of WSQ qualifications but no jobs. It’s just wasting of taxpayers’ money and our time.

**** Singapore MNC Placed Job Ad Recruiting Malaysians Only (Singaporeans Need Not Apply) <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/01/16/singapore-mnc-placed-job-ad-for-malaysians-only-singaporeans-need-not-apply/>
The Temasek Review

**** Govt Monitoring Singaporeans' Reactions To Church Attacks In Malaysia <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1031302/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

The government is monitoring ground reactions here after recent attacks on places of worship in Malaysia. Deputy prime minister Wong Kan Seng said ground reactions in Singapore have largely been calm.

**** No To Merger Of Self-help Groups <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_478600.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

Deputy prime minister Wong Kan Seng on Sunday rejected the suggestion that ethnic-based self-help groups should merge or operate under one umbrella.

**** Are Foreigners To Blame? <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_478605.html>
Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

The law minister's key message: It is unfair to cast foreigners as the villains driving up the prices of HDB flats.

**** Don't Jump To Conclusions <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_478606.html>
Kimberly Spykerman, Straits Times

LAW minister K. Shanmugam on Sunday set out to explain the reasons for the perceived silence on the government's part with regards to the hit-and-run accident last month involving a Romanian diplomat's car.

**** Civil Disobedience In Singapore: Part III <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/special-feature/3292-civil-disobedience-in-singapore-part-iii>
Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Democrat News