[MyAppleMenu] Jan 3, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 3 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Listening To Braille <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/magazine/03Braille-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Rachel Aviv, New York Times

Innovative technologies have made bumps on paper seem outdated. But are blind people losing more than they gain?

**** Unboxed: A Data Explosion Remakes Retailing <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/business/03unboxed.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

Stores have long used sales and demographic information to better aim their goods at customers. But retailers now have access to a vast trove of digital data — and better tools to make sense of it.

**** I've Discovered The Virtues Of Idleness <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/03/the-joy-of-idleness?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Henry Porter, The Guardian

Doing nothing, a good view, no stress – the best way to start a new year. But I know it won't last.

**** Online Petition <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_473180.html>
Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

An online petition has been set up calling on the Romanian government and its embassy here to cooperate with the Singapore authorities to investigate a recent hit-and-run accident which left one man dead.

**** The Evolving Role Of New Media <http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/my-singapore-news/the-evolving-role-of-new-media>
Chua Chin Leng, Asian Correspondent

**** You Gotta Love Our Police And Parliament. <http://singaporeanskeptic.blogspot.com/2010/01/you-gotta-love-our-police.html>
Singaporean Skeptic

**** Singapore Consulate-General In Johor Bahru Commences Operations <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1028314/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Cannot Expect To Go Back To Growth Rates Of Pre-crisis Years <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1028318/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has said that Singapore cannot expect to go back to the growth rates achieved before the global economic crisis. He said it will be tougher and Singaporeans must work harder and smarter.