[MyAppleMenu] Apr 12, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 12 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Amazon’s Kindle App For iPad Vs Apple’s iBooks <http://www.mcelhearn.com/2010/04/11/amazons-kindle-app-for-ipad-vs-apples-ibooks/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

In the end, the decision to buy a book from one or another will be, in part, fueled by a book’s availability (Amazon has far more books than Apple). But given the choice, at the same price, I’d choose to buy books for iBooks, because the reading experience is more flexible, and the display of text more attractive.

**** Sorry, Adobe, You Screwed Yourself <http://innerdaemon.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/sorry-adobe-you-screwed-yourself/>
Sharing The Truth One Thread At A TIme

Adobe made a wrong bet in 1996 and is suffering the consequences in 2010 and has no one to blame except themselves. It’s Adobe’s turn to show that it matters to Apple and the tech industry. I don’t remember Apple or Steve Jobs whining in 1996-2006 about Adobe not contributing to the Apple ecosystem.

**** Is 2011 Like 1994 For Apple, Twitter, Facebook, And The Web? <http://scobleizer.com/2010/04/11/is-2011-like-1994-for-apple-twitter-facebook-and-the-web/>
Robert Scoble, Scobleizer

Because, well, if you hire a developer who can do Objective-C that developer is generally going to be a lot more talented than someone who can only do Flash. That developer will come up with some cool new features that the Flash or .NET versions won’t have (or, even worse, can’t have because those systems must compile to a lowest-common-denominator).

Steve Jobs wins this game. Why? Because he — unlike in 1994 — controls the developers.

**** Google Says Apple Move Shows AdMob Buy Should Win US Approval <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a_WW18FwnwQ4>
Todd Shields, Bloomberg

Google Inc. Chief Executive Officer Eric Schmidt said Apple Inc.’s move into mobile advertising shows the market is competitive and Google’s bid for AdMob Inc. should be approved by U.S. regulators.

**** Premiere Pro CS5 Debuts Mercury Playback Engine <http://www.macworld.com/article/150431/2010/04/ppcs5news.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

Adobe has launched Premiere Pro CS5, an upgrade of its professional nonlinear video editing package. With it, Adobe has introduced the Mercury Playback Engine, a technology that allows users to open projects faster, refine effects-rich HD sequences in real time, experience smooth scrubbing, and play back complex projects without rendering.

**** Illustrator CS5 Puts Design In Perspective <http://www.macworld.com/article/150414/2010/04/aics5news.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

Adobe has introduced a host of improvements and new capabilities to Illustrator CS5, its flagship vector drawing program. Among them are perspective drawing, a bristle brush, and integration with its new Flash Catalyst CS5.

**** Photoshop CS5 Debuts New Content-Aware Fill, Mixer Brush Features <http://www.macworld.com/article/150507/2010/04/pscs5.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

Among the major updates are features such as Content-Aware Fill, Puppet Warp, and HDR Pro and HDR Toning. There are also new painting effects, a new version of the Camera Raw plug-in, automated lens correction, flexible custom panels, a new workspace switcher, and more.

**** Adobe Launches Flash Catalyst CS5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/150455/2010/04/flcs5.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

Adobe has unveiled Flash Catalyst CS5, a new professional design tool that lets users create Web application interfaces and design interactivity without writing code. Together with Flash Professional CS5 and Flash Builder 4, Flash Catalyst enhances collaboration between designers and developers.

**** InDesign CS5 Introduces Interactivity To Page Layout <http://www.macworld.com/article/150413/2010/04/idcs5news.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

With InDesign CS5, Adobe’s page layout program has assumed a new dimension that takes the app beyond the traditional boundaries of print production. This new version lets you create documents that can incorporate complex interactivity, animation, Flash video, and MP3 audio files without working in a timeline or writing code.

**** Dreamweaver CS5 Supports Content Management Systems <http://www.macworld.com/article/150450/2010/04/dwcs5.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

Dreamweaver now features authoring and testing support for third-party, PHP-based content management systems like WordPress, Joomla!, and Drupal, allowing designers to get accurate views of dynamic Web content from within Dreamweaver.

**** After Effects CS5 Features New Roto Brush Tool <http://www.macworld.com/article/150434/2010/04/aecs5news.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

The program is now 64-bit native to take advantage of the full memory of the CPU, even when users are working on high-resolution projects.

**** What Apple Always Does Well <http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100412/BIZ/704129880>
Mike Benbow, HeraldNet

Resistance is not futile, and Apple is a good example of that.

**** Apple Smartphones Most Competitive <http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20100412000608>
Cho Ji-hyun, Korea Herald

Among smartphone manufacturers, Apple was picked as most competitive when examining seven different fields, an international financial service group recently said.

**** The Adobe - Apple Flame War <http://www.mondaynote.com/2010/04/11/the-adobe-apple-flame-war/>
Jean-Louis Gassée, Monday Note

Steve Jobs has seen enough in his 34 years in the computer business to know, deeply, that he doesn’t want to be at the mercy of cross-platform tools that could erase Apple’s competitive advantage.

**** An Introduction To File Encryption In Mac OS X <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11129?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Joe Kissell, TidBITS

**** Analysis: Apple Against The World <http://www.macworld.com/article/150539/2010/04/apple_world.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

As Thursday showed, Apple’s management is being aggressive in making moves that they believe will place the company at a competitive advantage. Whether or not they’re the right moves remains to be seen, but I don't think why Apple is making them is any sort of mystery.

**** Eight Ways To Save Time With Proxy Icons <http://www.macworld.com/article/150425/2010/04/proxyicons.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Sharon Zardetto, Macworld

Have you ever noticed the miniature icon that sits next to a window’s name in its title bar? It’s more than just a decoration. In many instances, you can work with this icon—known as the proxy icon—just as you would a full-size file icon in the Finder, which can often save you the hassle of navigating back to the original item to copy or move it. And document proxy icons offer their own unique opportunities. Here are some of my favorite time-saving tricks.

**** Its All About The Framework… <http://www.devwhy.com/blog/2010/4/12/its-all-about-the-framework.html>
Louis Gerbarg, /dev/why!?!

Ideally Apple should have some provisions for adjunct or secondary runtimes that let developers use internal scripting. Failing that, Apple should include some language interpreters on the system that games can use for their app logic. While not as flexible as letting games include their own interpreters, if Apple exposed JavascriptCore outside of UIWebView, and included a Lua interpreter in the base system it would solve this as practical a issue for many games.

**** Innovation, By Order Of The Kremlin <http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/innovation-by-order-of-the-kremlin/>
New York Times

**** In Germany, A Taste Of New York, Via McDonald's <http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/cupcake/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nicholas Kulish, New York Times

Chelsea, you are chocolate. Claim cappuccino, the East Village. Thank your Strawberry Fields, Central Park, for your flavor is strawberry.

Sorry, SoHo, but you are plain old vanilla.

**** Sundown <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/04/19/100419po_poem_graham>
Jorie Graham, New Yorker

**** I Have Daughters And I Have Sons <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/04/19/100419po_poem_bly>
Robert Bly, New Yorker

**** Prefiguration Of Lalo Cura <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2010/04/19/100419fi_fiction_bolano>
Roberto Bolaño, New Yorker

**** Do Away With Reserve Price <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100412-0000048/Do-away-with-reserve-price>
Conrad Raj, Today

But to look at it conversely: If ignoring the reserve price would not necessarily send property prices down, then why not just release land without a minimum bid price?

**** Kent Ridge Ministerial Forum 2010: Once More, With Fear <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/04/kent-ridge-ministerial-forum-2010-once-more-with-fear/>
Khairulanwar Zaini, The Online Citizen

And as long as fear persists as a familiar leitmotif, hegemonizing remains a much easier task for the government.

**** Empty Vessels Make The Most Noise <http://tattooedbanker.blogspot.com/2010/04/empty-vessels-make-most-noise.html>
Tattooed Banker

Just for the record, I think I have struck 4d about twice over the last couple of years, yet I have not met my MP before.

**** ICA Reply Didn't Address A Key Point <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_513296.html>
Joel Chan, Straits Times

The reply did not address a key point of Mr Wang's question, which was to explain the rationale for a single dedicated lane.

**** Singapore: Asian Ambrosia <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=10637856>
Sharon Stephenson, New Zealand Herald

I have a squirming crab in one hand and a meat cleaver in the other.

**** On The COE And The Current Overreaction <http://onnationandstate.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/on-the-coe-and-the-current-overreaction/>
On Nation And State

Fact is, there is no direct way to control the demand for cars without higher car prices/costs, save for imposing a total ban on new cars on the road.

**** 港媒比较香港新加坡住房:蜗居远远落后安居(图) <http://www.chinanews.com.cn/ga/ga-cjxw/news/2010/04-12/2219604.shtml>
中国新闻网

向来被视为香港竞争对手的新加坡,在处理住房问题上的政策跟我们有何不同?有否值得借镜之处?记者带着这连串问题走访狮城,与当地官员、商界和平民深入交谈,发现香港多方面已经远远落后——新加坡人实现了安居,香港人仍为蜗居苦恼。关键之一,是当地“组屋(组合房屋)”制度的成功。

**** PAYM Policy Forum: Now I Know Why Flats Are “affordable”? (Part 1) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/04/paym-policy-forum-now-i-know-why-flats-are-affordable-part-1/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** <i>Engage</i> Your People <http://nabbedd.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/engage/>
It's All About Amelioration

What I really, really crave for is a much more intellectual stimulation and enlightenment when it comes to the discussion of politics or any social issues close to the citizens. How many of us normally switch channels after news when “Today in Parliament” is being aired following that? I know I would, not because I have no interest in our national affairs but what is the point of seeing a monotonous group of leaders, dressed as if they are attending a wake, reading off scripts and singing the same tune? Worse thing is, the scripts might not be even crafted by them?