[MyAppleMenu] Nov 23, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 23 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Apple's Schiller Defends iPhone App Approval Process <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2009/tc20091120_354597.htm?>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

In his first extensive interview on the subject, Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice-president for worldwide product marketing, outlines the many reasons Apple keeps close tabs on which applications can be downloaded onto the iPhone and iPod Touch. He also outlined ways the company is trying to become more flexible in its approval process.

**** Developers Look Past Apple's Jammed iPhone App Store <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessweek.com%2Ftechnology%2Fcontent%2Fnov2009%2Ftc20091121_780331.htm&usg=AFQjCNGFWN6h9AFIQ-ddGxIYxtzlqI9Uvg>
Olga Kharif, BusinessWeek

Software programmers are designing apps for the Google-backed Android operating system, fired by frustration with Apple's rejections and delays.

**** Apple Announces Black Friday 2009 Sale <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/23/apple-announces-black-friday-2009-sale/>
MacRumors

**** Review: iPhone Ringtone Roundup <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=11369c263ab47c48af27caf9e94e245a>
John Brandon, Macworld

Four apps that help you customize your iPhone's sound.

**** Six Ways To Get Online From Anywhere <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=065008440a23627ced4e78613c190ccd>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

Can't find a hotspot? Don't worry: There are other ways to get online when you're on the road.

**** Airfoil Speakers Touch 1.0.2 Is Now Available <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/2009/11/23/airfoil-speakers-touch-1-0-2-is-now-available/>
Paul Kafasis, Rogue Amoeba

Judging by Phil Schiller’s comments to Business Week, Apple had overly-strict internal policies on appropriate use of Apple trademarks. These policies failed to account for many entirely reasonable uses of trademarks, and have now been relaxed.

**** Is Apple Being Too Precious About The App Store? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=6266&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2Fhardware+%28ZDNet+Hardware+2.0%29>
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

**** Shared Supercomputing And Everyday Research <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/technology/23compute.html?ref=technology>
Ashlee Vance, New York Times

The price of supercomputers is dropping quickly, in part because they are often built with the same off-the-shelf parts found in PCs, as a supercomputing conference here last week made clear. Just about any organization with a few million dollars can now buy or assemble a top-flight machine.

Meanwhile, research groups and companies like I.B.M., Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft and Intel are finding ways to make vast stores of information available online through so-called cloud computing.

**** Shallow Graves <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2009/11/30/091130crbo_books_wood>
James Wood, New Yorker

The novels of Paul Auster.

**** Midnight In Dostoevsky <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/11/30/091130fi_fiction_delillo>
Don DeLillo, New Yorker

We were two sombre boys hunched in our coats, grim winter settling in. The college was at the edge of a small town way upstate, barely a town, maybe a hamlet, we said, or just a whistle stop, and we took walks all the time, getting out, going nowhere, low skies and bare trees, hardly a soul to be seen. This was how we spoke of the local people: they were souls, they were transient spirits, a face in the window of a passing car, runny with reflected light, or a long street with a shovel jutting from a snowbank, no one in sight.

**** The Big Sleep <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/11/30/091130po_poem_schultz>
Philip Schultz, New Yorker

**** Wood <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/11/30/091130po_poem_arvio>
Sarah Arvio, New Yorker

**** Poem Of The Week: Reconstruction By Zoë Skoulding <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/nov/23/poem-of-the-week-zoe-skoulding?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

**** MICA Looks At Feasibility Of Universal Set-top Box <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1019917/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal/Esther Fung, Today

While the rules will not change overnight, cable television subscribers grousing about the hassle of having two set-top boxes to get their football fix may be assured to know the Government is looking at the feasibility of a universal set-top box.

**** Development, But At What Cost? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_457779.html>
Oei Xi Zhi, Straits Times

The reason we live in Pasir Panjang is for its tranquillity. 'Revitalising' the area with yet another development may not be in the best interests of residents.

**** 'Consent' Shouldn't Trump What Society Deems Morally Bad <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_457769.html>
Marcus Foo, Straits Times

**** Selling Sand To Singapore, Still? <http://bigdogdotcom.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/selling-sand-to-singapore-still/>
The "Thirteen Million Plus Ringgit" Guy Rambles...

If there is a ban against the ‘Sale of sand to Singapore’, why is it there are “About 500 of the Singapore-bound lorries carry sand” passing through the Sultan Iskandar Complex, daily?

**** Malaysia-Singapore Water Agreements Under Review <http://elitestv.com/pub/2009/11/malaysia-singapore-water-agreements-under-review>
Elites TV

Since the first water agreement will end on 2011, former Malaysian Prime Minister Dr. Mahathir Mohamad asks through his popular blog if the current government is thinking of renegotiating the agreement in order to come up with a better deal.

**** Government Helps Singaporeans By Increasing Property Tax! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/11/govt-helps-singaporeans-by-increasing.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

It is not enough for you to understand that the property tax has been increased because your property value has gone up due to our govt's inability to cool the current property bubble. You have to understand that the increase is actually done for your own good and this increase is made to help you!

**** Health Care Reform: US Vs Singapore <http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/NussbaumOnDesign/archives/2009/11/health_care_ref.html>
Bruce Nussbaum, BusinessWeek

Singapore is a generation ahead of the US in the development of a modern health care system. It has the plumbing down—process and facilities— and is now working on the next level of value—human experience, wellness and economic growth. And it is turning to the world’s top design thinkers to help guide it.

**** New Re-employment Law Will Be Fair To All <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_457925.html>
Sue Ann-Chia, Straits Times

Acting minister for information, communications and the arts Lui Tuck Yew said the Ministry of Manpower and the labour movement will monitor the situation closely to ensure workers are not disadvantaged. Noting that the payment should be offered only as a last resort in the event that there are no jobs for older workers, he said: 'Then, there should be something employers should give them in recognition of their contribution.'

**** Only Local Scholarships Offered <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_457928.html>
Kimberly Spykerman & Jennani Durai, Straits Times

Those applying for university scholarships from companies such as SingTel, the Keppel Group, Sembcorp Industries and Alexandra Hospital can perish the thought of jetting overseas. These four are among top companies that hand out scholarships tenable only in local universities as they believe them to be as good as the Oxbridge, Ivy League or other brand-name institutions overseas.

**** Dot.com Start-ups Fail <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_457929.html>
Lester Kok, Straits Times

Two-thirds of scheme's funding recipients either fail or are struggling.

Only two-thirds are failing? That's actually quite good.

**** 对华文教改的一些疑问 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/sl091123_001.shtml>
联合早报

华文要成为一种“有趣”的语言就必须是一种“活”的语言,否则我国学生学华文跟学日文、法文、德文又有何区别?

**** Interest Rates To Stay Low <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_457932.html>
Francis Chan, Straits Times

Annual average savings rate this year likely to fall below last year's 0.22%.

**** 在淡滨尼镇 鲁莽骑脚踏车可能被罚款 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091123_017.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

淡滨尼集选区议员伍碧虹昨天在该区市镇会论坛上回答居民询问时说,当局正探讨如何改进市镇会的法则(bylaw),取缔在人行道上鲁莽骑脚踏车的行为。

**** 淡滨尼五年发展计划明年出炉 马宝山否认为大选热身 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091123_014.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

马宝山接受记者访问时否认这是为大选热身。他说,该区上一个五年发展计划是在2006年公布,因此是时候推出下一个五年计划。他受询时说:“没有人知道几时会举行大选,根据宪法最迟是要在2012年。”

**** 火车站怀旧 <http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk091123_004.shtml>
孙爱玲, 联合早报

火车站的装潢,甚至一草一木都具有马来风土气息,似乎回到六七十年代的感觉。

**** 投资盛大游戏 新加坡政府投资公司花血本 <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fit.southcn.com%2F9%2F2009-11%2F23%2Fcontent_6435245.htm&usg=AFQjCNH1fq-TKJbwdzexIZ66A-lpMO9LRw>
法制晚报

**** 獅城的活化歷史建築 <http://www.hkcd.com.hk/content/2009-11/23/content_2434110.htm>
曾俊華, 香港商報

**** Vivian Balakrishnan Urges Everyone's Effort In Integration Of New Citizens <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1020007/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

Community development, youth and sports minister Vivian Balakrishnan said on Monday that integration of new citizens is a long term, multi-dimensional challenge that requires the effort of all stakeholders.

**** 5 Days Of 5 "Thanksies": Day One <http://meginsing.blogspot.com/2009/11/5-days-of-5-thanksies-day-one.html>
An American girl in Singapore

I don't hide the fact that I'm crazy homesick and I long for the day that I can eat a Cheesy Gordita Crunch again, but I think I dwell on it far too much. To force myself out of this mode, I need to remember the many positive things I've gained from living on this small island.

**** Singapore Assessing Market Before New Property Measures <http://www.reuters.com/article/hotStocksNews/idUSSIN48587320091123>
Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

Singapore said on Monday that it will assess the property market before deciding on any new moves to cool buoyant prices, after recent measures that have dampened speculative demand.

**** Exec Condo Prices Have Risen 63% In Last Two Years: CB Richard Ellis <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1020029/1/.html>
Jonathan Peeris, 938Live

The median resale prices of executive condominiums (ECs) have increased 63 per cent in the last two years, riding on the bull-run in the private residential market.

**** Oral Reply To Parliamentary Question On (a) How Many Foreigners Were Successful In Their Application For Permanent Residency (PR); (b) How Many Of These Permanent Residents Have Given Up Their PR Status; And (c) How Many New PR Applications Have Been Received, 23 November 2009 <http://app4.mha.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=MTYzMw%3d%3d-5GjrxoL44YQ%3d>
Singapore Government

Singapore needs to bring in a continuing flow of immigrants to augment our population and enhance our economic competitiveness. However, the Government is mindful of the concerns of Singaporeans. We will manage the inflow of immigrants taking into consideration how quickly our society can absorb and integrate these new immigrants without diluting our national identity or weakening our social cohesion. Such a sustained and calibrated inflow of immigrants will ensure that Singaporeans benefit from immigration in the long term.

**** The Beauty Of Singapore <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2156&Itemid=195>
Wen Bin Zu, Asia Sentinel

A former Singapore scholar speaks out about his bilingual education.

**** HDB Projects 10,000-12,000 New Flats Needed Annually Over Next 5 Years <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1020036/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

The Housing & Development Board (HDB) has projected it will need to offer between 10,000 and 12,000 new flats per annum over the next five years to meet the housing demand in Singapore. Speaking in Parliament on Monday, national development minister Mah Bow Tan re-assured that there will be enough affordable flats for first time buyers.

**** A Conversation With Singapore Finance Minister Tharman <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessweek.com%2Finnovate%2FNussbaumOnDesign%2Farchives%2F2009%2F11%2Fpost_15.html&usg=AFQjCNEuZKzdweiQ89trUmAFR5V308esmA>
Bruce Nussbaum, BusinessWeek

Every once in a while I come across a government bureaucrat who totally surprises me with the person’s insight and competence. Singapore Minister of Finance Tharman is one of them. We opened the ICSID World Congress Monday with a conversation onstage. Every nation has a governing elite but Singapore has an exceptionally competent one.