[MyAppleMenu] Nov 17, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 17 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** What's Next For Future iPhones? <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=e627a0ff4e31fa291acd4a709956bdd3>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Competing smartphones can tell us a lot about the iPhone’s future direction.

**** Apple Beats Psystar: Is It A Win For You? <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=d4d6c0e8f65c1509d6fb062ce203c63f>
Ian Paul, PC World

Personally, I’m happy with my Mac computer and although I’ve had a few minor problems, I can’t really say I’m unhappy with Apple’s significant control over my computing experience. But then again, isn’t there something instinctively wrong about accepting a system or product, regardless of its quality, that reduces consumer choice? Especially when it comes to a device that is so integral to our daily lives?

**** iPhone UI: The Age Gap And Other Stats <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5247&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

Sessions at this month's iPhone Tech Talk in Seattle revealed differences in usage by age groups, according to a developer report from the conference.

**** Parallels Switch To Mac Edition Is Daunting But Worthwhile <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/parallels_switch_to_mac_edition_is_daunting_but_worthwhile/>
John Martellaro, The Mac Observer

**** Apple Beats Nokia In Profits, Apple Doesn't Beat Nokia In Profits, We Don't Really Have A Clue [Smartphones] <http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full/~3/N1VCcZQGD_c/apple-beats-nokia-in-profits-apple-doesnt-beat-nokia-in-profits-we-dont-really-have-a-clue>
Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo

he fact, however, is that nobody have a single clue about what Apple's real numbers are

**** 10 Scenarios That Could Make Apple License Mac OS X <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Applications/10-Scenarios-That-Could-Make-Apple-License-Mac-OS-X-348449/>
Don Reisinger, eWeek

Change is constant in the computer industry and even Apple can't say it will never change its mind about retaining exclusive control of the Mac OS platform.

**** Why Steve Jobs' "Enforcement Routine" For Ads On Apple Devices Is Not The Dumbest Idea You Ever Heard <http://industry.bnet.com/advertising/10004668/why-steve-jobs-enforcement-routine-for-ads-on-apple-devices-is-not-the-dumbest-idea-you-ever-heard/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BnetBlogs+%28BNET+Blogs%29>
Jim Edwards, BNET

It suggests that Apple is interested in distributing its devices and software free to anyone willing to make a tradeoff by sitting through some ads. This is a time-honored business strategy that has previously been fantastically successful.

I see this more of a preemptive measure to prevent others from undercutting the Mac and iPhone markets.

**** Apple Vs. Pystar: What's Left To Fight Over <http://www.pcworld.com/article/182297/apple_vs_pystar_whats_left_to_fight_over.html>
Seth Weintraub, Computerworld

Here's what's left to be decided at trial: Apple's allegations of breach of contract; induced breach of contract, trademark infringement; trademark dilution; trade dress infringement; and state unfair competition under California Business and Professions Code § 17200; and common law unfair competition. See anything on that list that will be helpful to Psystar?

**** Apple, Bloomberg: Two Media Brands In The Social Era <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13641_3-10398790-44.html>
Tim Leberecht, CNET News

Secrecy, compliance, top-down hierarchies, rigid communication policies, and walled gardens are characteristics that may be somewhat outdated in this era, and yet they seem to be the very cornerstones of Apple’s and Bloomberg’s success as the two firms thrive as the surprise champions of their respective categories.

**** Needed At Apple: One Good Game Designer <http://technologizer.com/2009/11/16/needed-at-apple-one-good-game-designer/>
Jared Newman, Technologizer

Apple’s cooking up something related to video games, and needs a jack of all trades game designer to get the job done.

**** Runtime Revolution 4.0 Offers New Web-authoring Option <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=3f22eab42fd137e2a0e30823fa027908>
Tony Craine, Macworld

Runtime Revolution has released version 4.0 of its self-titled application-authoring software. New in this release is the ability to deploy applications directly to the Web in any of the major browsers running in Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux.

**** Apple's iPhone To Be China's No. 1 Smart Phone, Unicom Says <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=at8OxORYpyOU>
Wei Du and Mark Lee, Bloomberg

China Unicom (Hong Kong) Ltd. Chairman Chang Xiaobing said he expects Apple Inc.’s iPhone to become China’s best-selling smart phone, countering skepticism by analysts who say the handset is too expensive.

**** ShoveBox For The Mac And iPhone Helps Keep Your Stuff Organized <http://www.salon.com/tech/giga_om/web_life/2009/11/16/shovebox_for_the_mac_and_iphone_helps_keep_your_stuff_organized/index.html>
Will Kelly, Salon

**** Scientist At Work: Nathan Myhrvold: After Microsoft, Bringing A High-Tech Eye To Professional Kitchens <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=a877d797b4e28dc93cc19919c149bf95>
Kenneth Chang, New York Times

Inside a nondescript warehouse on a nondescript street of this Seattle suburb is a research laboratory that looks like it came out of a James Bond movie — had Q the gadget master been a gastronome.

**** A Product (You Think) You'll Never Need <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=1db1664120e22ecea8813f40aad915b8>
Eric A. Taub, New York Times

A new low-cost LCD alternative to the magnifying glass can help the visually impaired.

**** Bring Back The Traditional Bookshop <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/RtR-b-AuClI/borders-waterstones-traditional-booksellers>
Stuart Walton, The Guardian

No more lounging in Waterstone's or browsing in Borders – turn over an old leaf with the starchy, strait-laced booksellers of old.

**** The Evolution Of The God Gene <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=6c527dcdfa875720633d2c1fc9f38911>
Nicholas Wade, New York Times

New research is pointing to a new perspective on religion, one that seeks to explain why religious behavior has occurred in societies at every stage of development.

**** The Dream Of The Great Unfinished Novel <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/1wJmbfwPSPQ/great-unfinished-novel-nabokov>
Wayne Gooderham, The Guardian

Nabokov didn't finish The Original of Laura, so we'll never know how good it might have been – and that's the key to its tantalising appeal.

**** Consciousness <http://feeds.slate.com/click.phdo?i=191355eec645d03091bfd1dbf7ee7e7e>
Ellen Wehle, Slate Magazine

**** Hawkers Can Pass On Trade <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_455263.html>
Silachart Lau, National Environment Agency, Straits Times

The current licensing scheme helps these hawkers pass on their trade by allowing immediate family members to take over the tenancy of the stall after they die.

**** Not Likely A Case Of Staff Fatigue: Khaw <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC091117-0000077/Not-likely-a-case-of-staff-fatigue--Khaw>
Alicia Wong, Today

"From the pictures I see, the pumps look almost exactly the same," said Mr Khaw, "so we're feeding back to the manufacturer that this is very dangerous".

**** Flats Saved For 1st-Timers <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_455334.html>
Jessica Cheam, Straits Times

The Housing Board (HDB) has moved to address mounting concern about inadequate flat supply by upping the first-timer's success rate for getting a flat and by launching more than 1,000 homes for sale in Punggol.

**** Should Upgrading Decisions Be Even Placed In The Hands Of Politicians? <http://kelvinteowrites.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/should-upgrading-decisions-be-even-placed-in-the-hands-of-politicians/>
Kelvin Teo Writes

Should a politician play god over something that voters have contributed towards with their own hard-earned money?

**** Lower Voting Age To 18 Before Next Election <http://geraldgiam.sg/2009/11/lower-voting-age-to-18-before-next-election/>
Gerald Giam

I would attribute the PAP government’s reluctance to reduce the voting age to two factors: Political self interest and inertia. Political self-interest because they know that 18 to 21-year-olds are much more likely to vote for change than older voters. Inertia because they know they can just refuse to do it and not suffer any consequences, since this is not a bread and butter issue.

**** Zaobao: Most PRC Scholars Are Still Here. Really? <http://frankcomment.blogspot.com/2009/11/zaobao-most-prc-scholars-are-still-here.html>
Jimmy Mun, Frankly Speaking

**** Temasek Launches Global Bond Sale To Raise US$500m <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1018701/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Temasek Holdings announced on Tuesday in a press release that it has launched a 30-year bond to raise US$500 million, which will go into funding operations of the company and of its subsidiaries.

**** The Pulse, Singapore Airlines Finds One <http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2009/11/17/the-pulse-singapore-airlines-finds-one/>
Ben Sandilands, Crikey

Hard on the heels of its loss in the first six months of its financial year, Singapore Airlines finds signs of life in the October operating statistics released this morning.

**** Singapore October Exports Fall The Least In 13 Months <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=acc5vjdTbCV8>
Stephanie Phang, Bloomberg

Singapore’s exports fell the least in 13 months in October as improving global demand supported sales of electronics and pharmaceuticals.

**** Temasek's Second Bonds In Two Months See Yield Spreads Narrow <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a5dAhl47L6ME&pos=7>
Katrina Nicholas and John Detrixhe, Bloomberg

**** Racist And Useless Security Checks At Singapore’s MRT Stations <http://www.angryangmo.com/2009/11/17/racist-useless-security-checks-singapore-mrt/>
AngryAngMo

**** Possible Property Bubble Has Singapore Officials Worried <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/business/global/10property.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Reuters

The Singapore central bank warned Monday that more measures could be needed to curb the risk of speculation in the country’s property market, which has been bolstered by low borrowing costs.

**** Green Fences Are Not 'friendly' To Old Folks <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC091117-0000285/Online-Only---Green-fences-are-not-friendly-to-old-folks>
Chia Hern Keng, Today

The building of non-breaking green fences going for miles along road dividers all across Singapore is presenting a serious problem to old folks.

**** Dover Park Hospice Fund Raising Project Proves A Hit For The Wrong Reasons <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1018797/1/.html>
Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia

Charity fundraisers are common in Singapore. But an initiative to raise money to help care for the dying has highlighted a less charitable side of the nation.

**** Weak US, EU Demand Dampen Singapore Exports <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fhostednews%2Fafp%2Farticle%2FALeqM5gPFis4dU21q9nQUPrmNqh2ebj37g&usg=AFQjCNEAjLcNXAr9ljn4cCET90xYZJq59g>
AFP

Weak demand from the United States and Europe sent Singapore's exports falling for the 18th consecutive month in October, the government said Tuesday.