[MyAppleMenu] Nov 6, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 6 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** 8 Stars Speak Out On Steve Jobs <http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/technology/0911/gallery.steve_jobs_testimonials.fortune/index.html>
Fortune

Eight people who rarely speak publicly about Jobs explain what makes him one of the best business minds of our time.

**** Quick QuickTime Q&A <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/05/quick-quicktime-q-and-a/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

QuickTime was one of the few apps which changed significantly in Snow Leopard. We've heard from some readers who missed the initial reports about it, so we're repeating it here, with some additional QuickTime information.

**** Apple Unveils First Paris Store In Louvre <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/pztJWCAQDg4/20589>
Ed Sutherland, Cult of Mac

Apple today opened the first of a series of stores planned for Paris. The first, located near the famous Louvre art museum, coincided with the release of the Musee du Louvre iPhone app showcasing among other exhibits, Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa.

**** Steve Jobs's Legacy <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmoney.cnn.com%2F2009%2F11%2F03%2Ftechnology%2Fsteve_jobs_legacy.fortune%2F&usg=AFQjCNGzfHuI_uorrvZZVQayyxW4NvuFoQ>
Fortune

Harvard professor Nancy F. Koehn shows us how Steve Jobs stacks up with other great entrepreneurs in history.

**** Inside The Apple Ecosystem <http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/fortune/0911/gallery.apple_ecosystem.fortune/index.html>
Fortune

>From the brightly colored iMac to the ultra-sleek MacBook Pro, Steve Jobs turned geeky PCs into lusted-after objects.

**** The Decade of Steve <http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/04/technology/steve_jobs_ceo_decade.fortune/index.htm>
Adam Lashinsky, Fortune

How Apple's imperious, brilliant CEO transformed American business.

**** John Legend Live: With MacBook Pro, Logic Studio And MainStage <http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/in-action/johnlegend/?sr=hotnews.rss>
Apple

For Legend, cinching that connection on the current tour involves working his songs on every level to meet and exceed the high bar set by the massively popular recordings.

**** First Look: Viewfinder For Mac Finds Images For You <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/XpuoVxbhlpI/first-look-viewfinder-for-mac.ars>
Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

Viewfinder offers a convenient way to search, obtain, and attribute photos from the popular Flickr photo-sharing site. If you use a lot of images in your day-to-day life, you will want to take a closer look.

**** iTunes LP Now Available For Apple TV Customers <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/06/itunes-lp-now-available-for-apple-tv-customers/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

**** Five Unexpected Uses For The Control Key <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=372181c7fda0b92eb35dd97a5dcb8bd1>
Sharon Zardetto, Macworld

If you’re like me, you’ve nearly worn out your Mac’s Control key (often labeled CTRL), using it to open contextual menus. It’s true that Control-clicking on anything from a Finder icon to a window’s title is an amazingly handy way to access a pop-up menu of targeted options. But you can also add Control to common key combinations for variations on the original functions.

**** Some TVs Go Directly Online For Streaming Movies <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=139ab1e33b2b5d65cacd73122d9782d5>
John R. Quain, New York Times

**** A Dream Home Undone By Divorce <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/garden/05divorce.html>
Penelope Green, New York Times

Welcome to home interrupted, Leslie Williams said, opening the door to what appeared to be just the opposite: a bright TriBeCa loft with near-lapidary finishes.

**** The Life And Death Of The Death Of God <http://www.obit-mag.com/articles/the-life-and-death-of-the-death-of-god>
Nathan Schneider, Obit

It was a recipe for the easiest headline ever: "Death of God Guy Dies." John T. Elson, who passed away on Sept. 7, was a journalist best known for penning the story behind Time magazine’s wildly controversial cover in April 1966, which asked, in bold red letters over a black backdrop, "Is God Dead?" The issue became one of the best selling in the magazine's history and sent American religion spiraling into an identity crisis.

Maybe now, goes the obvious punch line, Elson can tell us the answer.

**** Manage Foreigners' Inflow <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_450805.html>
Straits Times

Singapore must manage the inflow of foreign talent and other immigrants to ensure Singaporeans do not lose out but rather benefit from their presence, senior minister Goh Chok Tong said on Thursday. He said the Republic, which is already a cultural melting pot, will become even more diverse in the years to come.

**** Global Bodies Need Change <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_450964.html>
Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

Previously Western-centric organisations like the World Bank need to make fundamental adjustments to remain relevant and ensure stability in the post-crisis world, minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew says.

**** The Agony Of Waiting For Some Buses <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_450635.html>
Beverly Robin Britton, Straits Times

**** Free Ez-link Replacement Card Shouldn't Come With Zero Value <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_450640.html>
Wilson Choo, Straits Times

**** 答复:建屋局会确保湿巴刹设施符合居民需求 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091106_008.shtml>
谢佩丽,建屋发展局, 联合早报

有来自居民的足够需求,湿巴刹是不会消失的。如果它们在商业上可行的话,建屋局会辅助湿巴刹等设施的供应。这是为了确保巴刹设施符合居民的需求,而且也是可以持续的。

**** 公共交通服务还有许多令人不满之处 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091106_006.shtml>
陈小川, 联合早报

公共交通理事会、陆交局和业者都应该往高处看,我们的交通业者在国外也有业务,相信他们很清楚,陆交局应该听取民众和搭客的要求,提升对业者的要求和评估项目,满意度如果真的达标,但又不符合公众的要求,显然就是业者自定的标准程度太低,有必要提高和修改,其中“资讯足够与否”应是该提高的一项,该提高的标准应包括多种语文的运用、实用性、友善程度和方便及时等等。

**** Temasek Scores Perfect 10 <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_451028.html>
Alvin Foo, Straits Times

Temasek Holdings has kept its position as one of the world's most transparent sovereign wealth funds (SWFs). It attained a perfect score in the third quarter of this year on a United States-based transparency index which evaluates such entities.

**** Attack On Temasek Review: Not SPH <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2009/11/6/attack-on-temasek-review-site-not-sph>
Geoffrey Pereira, Straits Times

Well, the truth is no warning was needed; but perhaps a little more understanding of the Internet by TR.

**** 新加坡媒体批中国网民反应过激 您如何看待该批评 <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fworld.huanqiu.com%2Froll%2F2009-11%2F623991.html&usg=AFQjCNEdqShiaFSZ8g6ITfmcVkdEU0VV1g>
环球网

文章表示,李光耀原话实际是“平衡”(balance),而非中国媒体报道中的“制衡”。李光耀的原话其实是:“再过二三十年,中国庞大的体积将使得包括日本与印度在内的整个亚洲,都不可能在分量与国力上与之抗衡,所以我们需要美国来达致一个平衡(balance)”。

**** Slowly, Foreign Buyers Drift Back Into Singapore <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2009%2F11%2F06%2Fgreathomesanddestinations%2F06iht-resinga.html&usg=AFQjCNG02iETz25fH0oi8UueELWwL05LAQ>
New York Times

After five consecutive quarters of decline in Singapore’s property market, the luxury segment is starting to improve, partly helped by the slow reappearance of foreign buyers.

**** Can Raymond Lim Survive The Rush Hour MRT? <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/11/can-raymond-lim-survive-rush-hour-mrt.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

I don't think the sardine can, armpit smelling stuffy experience can ever show up in any of the stats. We may think of Malaysia as being behind us in everything but they have one minister who doesn't just look at statistics...

**** Declaring Of Goods: Singapore Custom Clarifies For Everyone's Benefit <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC091106-0000253/Online-Only---Declaring-of-goods--Singapore-Custom-clarifies-for-everyones-benefit>
Victor Seah, Singapore Customs, Today

In Mr Melvinder Kanth's case, he had claimed that he had always placed everything in the scanner in plain view of the officials. We wish to inform that this by itself does not constitute a proper declaration being made. This is because when a traveller goes through the green lane for clearance, it is taken as a declaration that the traveler has nothing to declare. Hence, he/she would be liable if he/she had in his/her possession contraband items as defined by the country's laws.

**** Does APEC Matter Anymore? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F2009%2FBUSINESS%2F11%2F06%2Fapec.does.it.matter%2F&usg=AFQjCNEsmczi8qFOJKQBPhGp-oAo9spc9A>
Kevin Voigt, CNN International

**** MFA Spokesman's Comments In Response To Media Queries On Singapore's Views On Recent Developments In Thai-Cambodia Relations <http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/press/view_press_email.asp?post_id=5572>
Singapore Government

"Singapore is concerned about the deteriorating relationship between Thailand and Cambodia. It is not good for ASEAN. We hope that both our friends will keep the larger interest of ASEAN in mind and find a way to resolve their differences quickly in a spirit of good neighbourliness."

**** Downturn Could Spread From Singapore’s Ships To Shore <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/685c3d90-ca3b-11de-a3a3-00144feabdc0.html>
Kevin Brown and Paul Betts, Financial Times

Now half the banks that used to provide finance for shipping companies have pulled out of the market. It could get worse: hundreds of new ships are on order, many unfinanced. That could help push the proportion of idle box ships as high as 20 per cent next year.

No wonder, then, that the trend rate of growth in the city state is likely to shift downwards to somewhere below 5 per cent over the next decade, as Tharman Shanmugaratnam, finance minister, told the Financial Times the other day.

**** The Distinctive City <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/the-distinctive-city/>
Groundnotes

This neurotic desire to keep re-inventing ourselves, to be what we’re not, tells us more about our insecurities than anything else.

**** Controversy Is 'normal' <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_451226.html>
Sun Chi Yin, Straits Times

The recent uproar among Chinese netizens over minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew's call for the United States to remain engaged in Asia to balance China is 'normal', the Chinese foreign ministry said on Friday.

It will not affect the bilateral mood ahead of president Hu Jintao's state visit to Singapore next week, the ministry suggested.