[MyAppleMenu] Jun 9, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 9 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** WWDC: Rumored iPhone 3.0 App Demoed: Find My iPhone <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/dVFH1Br0xZ8/11509>
by Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac

Find My iPhone is a MobileMe service that helps you find your lost iPhone, or wipe it remotely.

**** Apple's Snow Leopard Server To Offer 64-bit Power For $499 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/08/apples_snow_leopard_server_to_offer_64_bit_power_for_499.html>
by AppleInsider

Apple on Monday outlined plans for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server, a full 64-bit UNIX server operating system based on open standards that is up to twice as fast as its predecessor. It will be priced at $499 with unlimited client licensing when it ships in September 2009.

**** The Downside Of Subsidized Pricing <http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2009/06/the-downside-of-subsidized-pri.html>
by James Duncan Davidson

Of course, we all agreed to contracts and the terms. But, a fact that also isn’t lost on me is the fact that if you want an iPhone, you have exactly one choice of contract.

**** No More Greasy Screen, New iPhone Gets Fingerprint-Resistant Coating <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/Dxgso_TWzag/11549>
by Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac

As well as faster hardware and a better camera, the new iPhone 3GS has a surprise feature that totally sells it for me: an oleophobic coating that makes the screen resistant to face oil and fingerprints.

**** AT&amp;T To Eventually Offer Tethering In The U.S. <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/08/atandt-to-eventually-offer-tethering-in-the-u-s/>
by MacRumors : Mac News and Rumors

An AT&T rep is said to have confirmed that Tethering is in the works for U.S. customers but that nothing could be announced at this time.

**** Snow Leopard More Feature-laden Than Expected <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=f921c2073074c645438ceac76473dc0b>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Top 6 iPhone 3.0 Apps To Watch <http://mashable.com/2009/06/08/iphone-30-apps/>
by Ben Parr, Mashable

>From monitoring your blood sugar to in-app purchases, these applications are going to make waves when the new iPhone 3.0 is released on June 17th.

**** MacBook Air Gets A Lot Thinner — In Price <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10259706-64.html>
by Brooke Crothers, CNET

**** iPhone OS 3.0 Adopts Some BlackBerry-like Security <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=8f80656694c79b0273cfe1b366ef5b6b>
by InfoWorld

**** Final Release Of Safari 4 Tweaks Interface From Beta Version <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=09747a2f8d7a25a1f0d797f113c4624a>
by Scott McNulty, Macworld

The most controversial new feature of Safari 4 was the placement of tabs on the top of the Safari browser window instead of below the bookmarks bar. At first, I was against this new UI quirk, but the more I used the Safari 4 Beta the more I liked the placement of the tabs on top of the window. Sadly, in the shipping version of Safari 4 tabs have returned to their traditional place.

**** Inside The iPhone 3G S's Pricing <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=f5d3c95245329b7887484530963f8ab5>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

Low iPhone prices are tempting, but unavailable to many iPhone upgraders.

**** You Can Live Without The New iPhone, But It's Getting Harder To Live Without The App Store. <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/slate/~3/84zLGKc1GT4/>
by Farhad Manjoo, Slate Magazine

There are now more than 50,000 applications available in the iPhone's built-in App Store, and Apple says that the pace at which developers are adding programs is accelerating. None of Apple's competitors comes close to these numbers. Android is in second place with 5,000 apps, and the Nokia and BlackBerry stores have just over 1,000 apps each. If you buy a Pre, brace yourself for a comically small number of add-ons—today you'll find just 18 apps in Palm's online store.

**** Apple’s Cool Matrix-Style App Wall <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/fEr_MM2ZjeI/>
by MG Siegler, TechCrunch

Today at Apple’s WWDC event in San Francisco, Apple had a bunch of Cinema Display monitors mounted together on a wall showing what looked to be some sort of pulsating canvas. But a closer look revealed that it was actually a huge collection of icons for many of the apps available in the App Store, arranged by color.

**** Apple Posts QuickTime Video Of WWDC 2009 Keynote Address <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/08/apple_posts_quicktime_video_of_wwdc_2009_keynote_address.html>
by AppleInsider

Apple Monday evening made available through its website a QuickTime video stream of its WWDC 2009 keynote address from earlier in the day that ushered in more affordable Mac notebooks and the iPhone 3G S.

**** Safari 4 Fast, But Only Minor Tweaks From Beta <http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10260313-12.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Seth Rosenblatt, CNET News - Apple

Safari is now a serious browser for serious Windows users, and its position on Macs has been bolstered.

**** Even SanDisk Is Surprised By MacBook Pro Add-On <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/8-0&fd=R&url=http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/david-lidsky/week-lidsky/slot-luck-sandisk-scores-macbook-pro-announcement&cid=1257652413&ei=cuctSrzLFpK0Nty0xewB&usg=AFQjCNEDcVMblSAW9yIj6NeM-CyLJjDIwA>
by David Lidsky, Fast Company

This is huge news for SanDisk, which has been laboring mightily to communicate that SD cards are for more than just moving images off your camera to your PC.

**** Why Apple Stuck With The Same iPhone Hardware Design <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/1-0&fd=R&url=http://cultofmac.com/why-apple-stuck-with-the-same-iphone-hardware-design/11573&cid=1256390641&ei=EPstSuTTFpCCNLSk7eQB&usg=AFQjCNHSDLfE_kVq8Hclq_JfWYWTwzPRAQ>
by Pete Mortensen, Cult Of Mac

Eleven days from now, when I pull my iPhone 3G S out of its box, I will be a little sorry that its back is glossy and fingerprint-laden. But I’ll be happier to know that Apple’s design team is working on something new, interesting and complex — exactly the kind of problem they’re brilliant at solving.

**** Snow Leopard Taps Into The Mac's Core Power <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=a81f04188dd4537ff887571842ba113d>
by Agam Shah, Macworld

**** Apple iPhone 3G S Gets FCC Clearance Like Clockwork <http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/4uut42rCQT0/>
by Engadget

**** The MacBook Turns Pro <http://www.macworld.com/article/141046/2009/06/macbookgoespro.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

Whatever the reason, from a consumer’s point of view Apple’s new laptop line sports the company’s most aggresive pricing, and provides the best value, to date.

**** WWDC Keynote Observations And Nuances <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/wwdc_keynote_observations_and_nuances/>
by John Martellaro, The Mac Observer

That's why when Apple does something new and cool and daring, the competition has to respond right away, in force, with resources, imagination, and salesmanship. Not many companies can manage that, recession or not.

**** Racing Toward An iPhone App <http://www.macworld.com/article/140988/appdevelopment.html>
by Tom Kaneshige, CIO

How WhippleHill developed a new iPhone app on the cheap.

**** Apple's Future In Mobile Computing <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13512_3-10260377-23.html>
by Peter Glaskowsky, CNET

**** Don't Look Inside Apple's Black Box <http://www.macworld.com/article/141051/2009/06/iphone_black_box.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

Apple doesn’t want people thinking of the iPhone as a computer—and it has a point.

**** MyAppleMenu Goes Dark <http://www.myapplemenu.com/2009/06/09/mb154556/>
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

I'm taking a break. MyAppleMenu will return on either June 11 or 12, 2009.

**** The Case Of The Missing ExpressCard Slot <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=972072867c9bdc791992e7ca007e2e91>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** What's New In iPhone 3.0 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=c91ef89830a5440a84f14d18deae5659>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Opening Doors On The Way To A Personal Robot <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=7e765475a65561c82e06b173abd490a9>
by John Markoff, New York Times

Consider it one small step — or a roll, actually — for a robot, one not giant, but significant step for robotics.

**** A Full-Color Screen That Bends <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22758/>
by Prachi Patel, MIT Technology Review

A new way to mass-produce flexible OLED displays could mean affordable commercial products.

**** Duck, Duck, Goose <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article04300902.aspx>
by Jesse Smith, The Smart Set

Celebrating deception at the bird carving world championship.

**** In That Tucked Tail, Real Pangs Of Regret? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/science/02tier.html?_r=1>
by John Tierney, New York Times

As new reports keep appearing — moping coyotes, rueful monkeys, tigers that cover their eyes in remorse, chimpanzees that second-guess their choices — the more I wonder if animals do indulge in a little paw-wringing.

**** One Sock On, One Sock Off <http://www.threepennyreview.com/samples/powell_su09.html>
by Jim Powell, The Threepenny Review

**** In The Cafe <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/slate/~3/qQPgLDhVdOs/>
by Louise Glück, Slate

**** The Safety Sealt Is Ruining American Family Life In Your Metal Death Box <http://www.theawl.com/2009/05/underparenting-the-safety-seat-is-ruining-american-family-life-in-your-metal-death-box>
by Tom Scocca, Underparenting

The safety seat is ruining American family life and the automotive experience.

**** Singapore — The Foreign Worker Abuse Cum Human Trafficking Hub <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3211>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

It is a great shame that our authorities are dragging their feet on the serious issue of human trafficking in Singapore, but are instead focussed obsessively on pump-priming the economy without regard to the environmental or social consequences of their policies.

**** Charting A Brave New World <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/06/charting-a-brave-new-world/>
by The Online Citizen

The government’s latest exercise in newspeak.

**** Spike In Malaria <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_387821.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times

Singapore is fighting the biggest outbreak of locally transmitted malaria it has seen in possibly more than a decade. Over the past five weeks, at least 15 people have been infected with malaria locally, with the latest case only known on Monday.

**** Temasek's Direction Under New Management <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/0-0&fd=R&url=http://www.financeasia.com/article.aspx%3FCIaNID%3D105066&cid=1257572051&ei=BJctSuekLMudlQf7qrnKBQ&usg=AFQjCNG2mIsySoZWSNDjCs-eRo0nE0B1gg>
by Sameera Anand, FinanceAsia

Nomura research on Temasek reckons changes are likely under incoming CEO Charles Goodyear and comments on the firm's returns on its financial sector investments.

**** State Raps Singapore On 'Hasty' Travel Alert <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/0-0&fd=R&url=http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25608078-23289,00.html&cid=1255841665&ei=6Z0tSr3bDsiwmQf0w5DKBQ&usg=AFQjCNHg8aYn1bi-W_lFDHRtsP7vbcmSVw>
by Rick Wallace, The Australian

Despite the number of Victorian swine flu victims topping 1000 in figures released last night, environment minister Gavin Jennings denied his state was unsafe to visit.

**** The Hidden Agenda Of MM Lee’s Official Visit To Malaysia (Part 1) <http://wayangparty.com/?p=10149>
by Fang Zhi Yuan and Lim Siow Kuan, The Wayang Party

Singapore is used to dealing with Barisan Nasional since independence. As the saying goes, ‘it is safer to sleep with the devil you know than an unknown angel’. How should Singapore realign its foreign policy and tricky bilateral ties with Malaysia if the Pakatan Rakyat were to assume power one day, which is no longer a far-fetched proposition?

**** Soundbuzz Fades Out <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_387834.html>
by Straits Times

**** More Hiring Than Firing <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_387840.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

Employers planning to hire will outnumber those looking to shed workers in the third quarter of the year, according to a survey. This marks a turnaround in hiring sentiments by Singapore bosses for the first time this year, said global human resource consultancy Manpower Inc.

**** A Burmese ‘Wayang Kulit’ For SM Goh <http://wayangparty.com/?p=10162>
by The Wayang Party

Our government will continue to invest in the country to bring “development” to the blood-thirsty generals and its inner circle of cronies, leaving the rest of the populace improverished, hungry and deprived.

**** Singapore Air Says No Acquisitions In China For Now <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/0-0&fd=R&url=http://in.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idINSP16574620090609&cid=1257671821&ei=NdgtSrrCJ4qwNdfQhekB&usg=AFQjCNGC8FV9kBKGNp-YlZcLkWfqMTtLzA>
by Sara Webb, Reuters

Singapore Airlines, the world's leading carrier by market value, is only keen on acquisitions in China in the longer-term, when the regulatory environment is proper, its CEO said on Tuesday. Asked if the carrier was looking at acquisitions in China, Chew Choon Seng told Reuters: "Not at this point in time, but in the longer-term, yes."

**** 植物园有意申请世界遗产 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090609_508.shtml>
by 林佩碧, 联合早报

我国植物园最近被《时代周刊》点名为“亚洲最佳城市森林”,也在米其林今年首次为亚洲国家出版的《新加坡绿色指南》(Michelin Green Guide Singapore )中,摘下了米其林三星的最高荣誉。带着这些荣誉,今年庆祝开园150周年的新加坡植物园,正探讨向联合国教科文组织(UNESCO)提出申请,把植物园列为世界遗产的可能性。

**** 环线局部通车后 南北线更拥挤了 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090609_504.shtml>
by 李静仪, 联合早报

总长5.7公里的环线第三阶段五个地铁站上个月28日启用后,不少居住在东北廊道的乘客在实龙岗转换站转车,使用环线到碧山转搭南北线前往市区方向。一些原本乘坐巴士的乘客也改用地铁上下班。

这间接导致原本就已拥挤不堪的南下列车的情况进一步恶化,特别是在早上繁忙时段。

**** $1 Billion Oil Terminal &#39;to Compete&#39; With Singapore <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/4-0&fd=R&url=http://www.portworld.com/news/i77596/1_billion_oil_terminal_to_compete_with_Singapore&cid=1257256285&ei=Q-stSsjQDom2NdOTjesB&usg=AFQjCNH5li4nNHxjbpwyIg15io8QQp9lOg>
by Portworld

Malaysia's Dialog Group Berhad is building a storage terminal capable of handling VLCCs in Malaysia's southernmost state of Johor, reportedly in a bid to compete with Singapore as a regional fuel-trading hub.

**** 新加坡外汇储备超过1717亿美元 <http://www.zaobao.com/cs/cs090609_508.shtml>
by 联合早报

新加坡截至5月底的外汇储备增加到1717亿6000万美元,高过一个月前的1701亿美元,但低于去年同期的1758亿美元。

**** 新加坡总理没有专机的理由 <http://wgl2007.blog.sohu.com/118170082.html>
by 沁心阁

像新加坡那样富裕的国家的领导人,比起地位或威严,更注重“务实”。

**** 新加坡人有教育没教养? <http://blog.omy.sg/annalim/archives/2950>
by 安娜私房话

**** 新加坡的升旗礼 <http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4fe3949d0100dvwd.html>
by 仁可何也的BLOG

原来新加坡就是这样把一种信念植入人们心中的。

**** Two Historic Letters - Separation Of Singapore From Malaya <http://jkwy.blogspot.com/2009/06/two-historic-letters-separation-of.html>
by Paradise Storm

The then prime minister of Malaya Tunku Abdul Rahman made a decision to end our ties seems to be the best decision for Singapore. Singapore is without resources and rely mostly on trading. Yet, they can survive and bring Singapore forward. Malaysia has plenty of resources yet we seem to be nowhere.

**** Silencing Singapore <http://advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid88310.asp>
by Lawrence Ferber, Advocate.com

For Singaporean filmmaker Zihan Loo, the love that dare not speak its name doesn't require words.

**** Singapore's GIC To Take Path Of Low Risks, Returns <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124449108216395249.html>
by P.R. Venkat, Wall Street Journal

"GIC will play a very cautious role, low risks and low returns," Lee Kuan Yew said. "Temasek takes a more active interest...and higher risks."

Mr. Lee said the recent decision to name former BHP Billiton Ltd. Chief Executive Charles Goodyear to succeed current Temasek CEO Ho Ching was because the government was seeking a fresh mind.

**** Singapore Confirms Two More H1N1 Cases, Bringing Total Cases To 17 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/434764/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Find More Niche Areas <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_387895.html>
by Reico Wong, Straits Times

Singapore must find more niche areas to position itself to face a new world after the global economic storm, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Tuesday.

**** Upfront With: Dr Chee Soon Juan <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=4096>
by Kent Ridge Common

**** iPhone 3G S To Come To Singapore In July <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheSingaporeIphoneGuide/~3/bzfNSwxNU7Q/iphone-3g-s-to-come-to-singapore-in.html>
by Jimmy Yap, The Singapore iPhone Guide

**** 5 Places Where You Still Find Durian Trees In Singapore <http://goodmorningyesterday.blogspot.com/2009/06/5-places-where-you-still-find-durian.html>
by Lam Chun See, Good Morning Yesterday

**** Bread And Butter Issues Top Concerns In Feedback To REACH <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/434860/1/.html>
by Hasnita Majid, Channel NewsAsia

**** Souped-Up iPhone Model <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_388049.html>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times

A SingTel spokesman said the company will reveal pricing details closer to the phone's July launch date.

**** SingaporeSurf Goes Dark <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2009/06/09/mb154631/>
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

I'm taking a break. SingaporeSurf will return on either June 11 or 12, 2009.