[MyAppleMenu] Jan 31, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 31 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** Apple Store Glass Door Explodes On Couple <http://i.gizmodo.com/5143254/apple-store-glass-door-explodes-on-couple>
by Matt Buchanan, Gizmodo

**** Extremely Short Apple In-Ear Headphone Review <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2009/01/31/extremely-short-apple-in-ear-headphones-review/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald

**** SEC Review Of Apple May Pit Investors Against Privacy <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=adGcZNy_fve8&refer=home>
by Karen Gullo, Connie Guglielmo and David Scheer, Bloomberg
Apple Inc.'s shifting disclosures about chief executive officer Steve Jobs's health are forcing regulators into new legal territory, balancing investors' right to information against a last bastion of eecutive privacy.

**** Apple Warns Of Reduced iMac Availability In Near Term <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/30/apple_warns_of_reduced_imac_availability_in_near_term.html>
by Katie Marsal, AppleInsider
Apple this week is advising members of its reseller channels that supply of iMacs will be constrained in the immediate future, a move that may signal new models are nearing production.

**** Steve Jobs A Music Visionary? Judge For Yourself <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10152343-93.html>
by Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com

**** Putting A Premium On iPhone Games <http://www.macworld.com/article/138563/2009/01/premiumgames.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
I haven't found many games that sustain my interest long enough or offer a compelling enough experience for me to try to get $20's worth of entertainment from. And the device itself has much to do with that s the games I've been playing.

**** Review: City Of Heroes <http://www.macworld.com/article/138538/2009/01/city_of_heroes.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chris Holt, Macworld
Despite its flaws, City of Heroes nearly lives up to its superhuman potential.

**** Rowmote Brings Apple Remote Functions To iPhone, iPod Touch <http://www.macworld.com/article/138557/2009/01/rowmote.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Why CableCard Isn't On The Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/138552/2009/01/cablecard.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
There are the copy-protection issues around CableCard, mandated by content owners who are terrified of piracy.

**** Thoughts On The City By A New Yorker Writer Who Avoided New York <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/30/nyregion/30nyc.html>
by Clyde Haberman, New York Times
John Updike defined "the true New Yorker" as someone who came with a "secret belief that people living anywhere else had to be, in some sense, kidding."
The guy nailed it. In the depths of their souls, that is exactly how unreconstructed New Yorkers feel.

**** How To Measure A Cheshire Grin? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/books/review/Paulos-t.html?_r=1>
by John Allen Paulos, New York Times
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll, was a mathematician at Oxford University for most of his life. His fanciful "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" are quite familiar to us, as, to a lesser extent, are his photographs of young children. In "Lewis Carroll in Numberland," the distinguished British mathematician Robin Wilson has filled a perceived gap in the writings about Carroll by describing in a straightforward, jbberwocky-free fashion the author's mathematical accomplishments, both professional and popular.

**** Eyeless In Gaza <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/22270>
by Roger Cohen, New York Review Of Books
I have never previously felt so despondent about Israel, so shamed by its actions, so despairing of any peace that might terminate the dominion of the dead in favor of opportunity for the living.

**** Who Needs A Big Raise? SEC Staffers <http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/30/news/davos.sec.fortune/>
by Peter Gumbel, Fortune
Regulators shold earn more than bankers &mdash; at least that's what several regulators from Europe and asia have been saying at Davos.

**** Singapore Says Wealth Funds May Play Bigger Role In Markets <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=ast1NJ1c_9bw&refer=asia>
by David Yong, Bloomberg
Institutional investors, including sovereign wealth funds, may play a bigger role in stabilizing the global financial system as leveraged banks and hedge funds stumble, the Government of Singapore Investment Corp. said.

**** Fewer Youths Pursuing Their Dreams <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2009/1/31/columnists/insightdownsouth/3153641&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Jeffrey Francis, The Star
In a shrinking job market, fresh graduates normally further their studies, but with a declining asset base, too, fewer can do so now.

**** Chartered Axes 600 <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/299652.asp>
by Cheow Xin Yi, Today
In the first big retrenchment that comes a week after the government unveiled job-saving measures in its budget, Chartered Semiconductor said it will lay off 600 workers worldwide. The bulk of the job losses, 540, will be in Singapore.

**** Spread The Foreign Talent Around <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/spread-the-foreign-talent-around/>
by Groundnotes
Being a PAP MP is a /de facto/ appointment that is ideologically uniform and purely administrative. There is no reason why a competent foreigner with excellent managerial and people skills can't do the job.
/I'll go one step further: eliminate the jobs. There is no need for so many MPs. Or cabinet ministers either./