[MyAppleMenu] Jan 29, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 29 13:15:01 EST 2009

**** Apple Sued Over 'Broken Promises' Regarding 3G Speeds <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/29/apple_sued_over_broken_promises_regarding_3g_speeds.html>
by Slash Lane, AppleInsider
A new class-action lawsuit claims Apple knowingly profited from faulty iPhone 3Gs that couldn't stay connected to the faster 3G network, costing buyers inferior service and missed opportunities to use an alternative provider.

**** What TO Know About iPhoto '09 Face Detection And Recognition <http://i.gizmodo.com/5141741/what-to-know-about-iphoto-09-face-detection-and-recognition>
by Wilson Rothman, Gizmodo
After heavy testing for half a day, iPhoto became /shockingly good/ at identifying my face. I can onl imagine that, given more calibration and identified content, it will be better and better. My biggest fear is how many photos aren't clearing the first hurdle&mdash;face detection&mdash;and are therefore left completely out of the system.

**** Toonz Adds Story Planner, Story Planner Pro Animation Software <http://www.macworld.co.uk/procreative/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=24704>
by Digital Arts Magazine
Digital Video, creator of the cel animation software Toonz, has released Story Planner and Story Planner PRO are brand new tools for creating storyboards with graphical and textual information, and generating animatics with soundtrack and animations.

**** iTunes Plus Goes A La Carte <http://www.macworld.com/article/138508/2009/01/itunesplusalacarte.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Apple has dispensed with the iTunes Store all-or-nothing upgrade policy.

**** Will Apple's App Store Change The Desktop App Market? <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9126959&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
Exactly where the App Store model will lead software distribution isn't clear. But the model has been a radical success, and I doublt it'll remain limited to smart phone apps for long.

**** Next Generation iPhone Model Revealed In Firmware <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/28/next-generation-iphone-model-revealed-in-firmware/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com
Meanwhile, at least one developer has noticed actual "iPhone2,1" models in use based on PinchMedia ad serving reports.

**** iWork '09 <http://reviews.cnet.com/data-management/iwork-09/4505-3541_7-33485021.html?tag=txt;page>
by Jason Parker, CNET
iWork '09 makes many of the already user-friendly features from last year's version even easier. iWork '09 offers an extremely intuitive interface and has plenty of advanced time-saving features to make it a worthy replacement for the much more pricely Microsoft solution.

**** iLife Gets Better; Just Don't Ask It To Find A Face <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090128/ilife-gets-better-just-dont-ask-it-to-find-a-face/>
by Walter S. Mossberg, AllThingsD
In my tests, on two different Macs with thousands of photos, face recognition worked most of the time. But I was too often disappointed.
I still like and recommend iPhoto and iLife But, in my opinion, the new face-recognition system isn't up to Apple's self-proclaimed high standards, and isn't reliable enough to justify an upgrade all by itself.

**** Apple's Freshened iPhoto Makes Photo Organizing A Snap <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2009-01-28-baig-apple-imovie_N.htm>
by Edward C. Baig, USA Today
It's mainly the Faces and Places features that stand out. Though these can improve, they make a solid photo-management program that much better.

**** Becoming A Mac Convert <http://www.whatpc.co.uk/computing/comment/2235315/becoming-mac-convert-4430368>
by Rosalie Marshall, Computing
The lack of a Start button, an inability to right-click using the trackpad, even maximising windows all threw me at first.

**** MobileMe Renewal: Yes Or No? <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/28/mobileme-renewal-yes-or-no/>
by Dave Caolo, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Honestly, it doesn't always "just work."

**** My Last MobileMe Renewal <http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/web_services_browser/my_last_mobileme_renewal.html>
by Joe Wilcox, eWeek
Apple deserves high praise for doing sync pretty much better than anyone. But Apple surprisingly stumbled with MobileMe sync, which has been glitchy since its mid-July launch.

**** iDVD Hung Out To Dry As Apple Pushes Movies Online <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/28/idvd_hung_out_to_dry_as_apple_pushes_movies_online.html>
by Prince McLean, AppleInsider
One of the original pillars of Apple's iLife suite, iDVD, has increasingly been given the cold shoulder to the point where it is not even depicted on the retail package anymore. How much longer will the app stick around now that the company has focused on pushing media sharing online?

**** Akamai Losing Some Apple Business To Limelight <http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2009/01/28/akamai-losing-some-apple-business-to-limelight/>
by Eric Savitz, Barrons
Akamai is apparently losing some of Apple's content delivery business for software updates and the App store to Limelight Networks.

**** Distorted Grudges <http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/donvans_views_distorted_grudges/>
by Macsimum News
The conventional wisdom that Rubinstein had a bitter falling-out with the Steve Jobs was confirmed to be not true.

**** Global Recession Catches Up To Apple's Retail Stores <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/28/global_recession_catches_up_to_apples_retail_stores.html>
by Sam Oliver, AppleInsider
Apple's retail stores are showing signs that they're not immune to the deepening recession, but at the same time they're still serving their intended purpose of attracting more and more Windows users to the Mac platform, a new report explains.

**** Reivew: iLife '09 <http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/28/review-ilife-09/>
by John Biggs, CrunchGear
iLife 09 is a semi-solid upgrade but probably not wroth $79 if you're not overly excited about Faces or Lessons. Folks who are not impressed by some comestic changes and a few feature additions, you might be able to sit this one out.

**** Drobo: Its Part In My Downfall <http://speirs.org/2009/01/28/drobo-its-part-in-my-downfall/>
by Fraser Speirs
Let me summarise that for you: "Our documented disconnection proceure will silently corrupt your Drobo. Sorry about that. Hope you have a backup. Also: /Your fault/, depsite you dong what we said to do."

**** $999.99 iPhone App MyCentrl Hooks You Up With Other Dumb Rich People <http://i.gizmodo.com/5140903/99999-iphone-app-mycentrl-hooks-you-up-with-other-dumb-rich-people>
by Matt Buchanan, Gizmodo
Love blowing cash on stupid, useless crap in the middle of the recession just to show how rich you are? Want to meet other people like yourself?

**** Does Apple Own Touch Technology? <http://www.macworld.com/article/138497/2009/01/multitouch.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Ian Paul, PC World
The future of multitouch technology seems to be in Apple's hands at the moment. Whether it stays that way may be a matter for the courts.

**** Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Of The Mac: Apple In The Media Archives <http://www.macworld.com/article/138493/2009/01/25th_anniversary_of_the_mac_apple_in_media_archives_.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Cyrus Farivar, Macworld

**** GarageBand '09 A Boon For Guitar Players <http://www.macworld.com/article/138492/2009/01/gb09.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
What's really interesting about the new release is that the amps have been completely remodeled. Apple didn't just slap a fancy picture on the previous amp and call it new, Apple told me it was actually proud of the fact that so mcuh work went into the amps.

**** Getting Public Radio On Your iPhone Now A Bit Easier <http://www.macworld.com/article/138490/2009/01/getting_public_radio_on_your_iphone_now_a_bit_easier.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Cyrus Farivar, Macworld

**** The Sugar Daddy For Future Generations <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jan/29/nicholas-negroponte-olpc>
by Jack Schofield, The Guardian
Nicholas Negroponte's visionary One Laptop Per Child project may have had its setbacks, but he's still intent on helping young lives.

**** Flipping Awful <http://www.slate.com/id/2209436/?from=rss>
by Tim Harford, Slate
Why the NFL should replace the overtime coin toss with an auction system.

**** The Complete Updike <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/opinion/29moore.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Lorrie Moore, New York Times
It has been a hard year or so for writers. The world seems to grow emptier and emptier, depletion without replenishment, and now with the passing of John Updike at the age of 76, death has taken perhaps its biggest prize.

**** I Heart Popeyes - Singapore <http://www.bellygood.net/2009/01/29/i-heart-popeyes-singapore/>
by Bellygood
I was told I had to try Popeyes. "They only have stores at the airport terminals, but it's better than KFC," they told me.

**** More Sex Please, You're Singaporean <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/asia_file/blog/2009/01/29/more_sex_please_youre_singaporean>
by Ben Bland, Telegraph
While other governments are focusing solely on fiscal and monetary stimulus packages for their economies, Singapore is also pushing ahead with its sexual stimulus plan as it seeks to shore up its flagging growth prospects.

**** Worst Is Yet To Come <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_331950.html>
by Straits Times
Finance minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam has warned that the worst of the credit crunch has yet to come.

**** Taxi Companies To Pass On 30% Road Tax Rebate To Cabbies <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/405693/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

**** Cats And Nonsense <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/214104.html>
by Mollymeek

**** $41.5M Rebates For Tenants <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_331856.html>
by Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times
Tenants of 18 CapitaLand-owned malls will gain from the $41.5 million property tax rebates which Singapore's biggest mall operator stands to get from the government's 40 per cent property tax rebate. CapitaLand Retail chief executive officer Lim Beng Chee said the $41.5 million will translate to about 4 per cent rebate for its tenants.

**** Small, Furry, Outlawed: Singapore Torn Over Cat Rights <http://ph.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20090129/tap-singapore-cats-c3bb44c.html>
by Gillian Murdoch, Reuters
Cat lovers in Singapore are campaigning for felines to have the same rights as dogs &mdash; a roof over their heads and a safe home.
For decades cats have been banned from Singapore's high-density Housing and Development Board flats, which house more than 80 percent of the 4.6 million population.

**** Growth Model Still Works <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_331749.html>
by Straits Times
"The fundamentals of the growth model are sound," said finance minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said. "We should not be less susceptible to global markets. That's our future, that's where our fortunes are tied to."

**** Prince Cinemas Shut Down <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_331727.html>
by John Lui, Straits Times
Prince 1, Singaproe's largest cinema, and its smaller sibling Prince 2 have shut down with no plans to revive them.
/Large movie screens, circles and stall seats, and handwritten seat numbers on tickets, these are my memories of watching movies in Singapore./

**** Singapore's DBS Says CEO Has Leukemia, To Take Leave <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSSGC00099720090129>
by Saeed Azhar, Reuters

**** Most Hawkers Hold Prices <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_331720.html>
by Jessica Lim, Straits Times
Nearly 190 hawker stalls have not increased their prices over the past six months, despite escalating costs and dropping sales, a survey released yesterday showed.

**** Is There Any Art In Singapore <http://www.zarathoustra.org/2009/arts/is-there-any-art-singapore/>
by Everyday Blog

**** Singapore Air Meets Agents To Break Deadlock <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Singapore_Air_meets_agents_to_break_deadlock/articleshow/4044686.cms>
by Omkar Sapre and Mithun Roy, Economic Times
Singapore could lose its numerous high-spending Indian travellers, thanks to the zero-commission stance of its national carrier, Singapore Airlines.

**** Euthanasia - The Right To Self-Determination <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/01/euthanasia-the-right-to-self-determination/>
by Richard Woo, The Online Citizen
We all live for a time only, but to be able to die peacefully, with dignity and without pain or fuss, can be considered a life achievement.

**** Tough Rules, Short Queue <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_331654.html>
by Jessica Cheam, Straits Times
Serious house-buyers are getting the flats they want sooner because a group of 'frivoulous' buyers, who used to clog up the queue and wsate everyone's time by rejecting flats offered to them, appear to have dropped out.

**** Why Sack Me Before Verdict? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,191102,00.html?>
by Desmond Ng, New Paper
Now, former SIA Engineering technician jobless despite being cleared of charges.
/Shame on you, SIA./

**** Traffic Diversion To Stay <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_331476.html>
by Yeo Ghim Lay, Straits Times
A temporary traffic diversion to ease congestion at Woodlands Centre Road has now been made permanent. This comes after a four-month trial showed the diversion was successful in reducing traffic jams on the road which has heavy use due to the Woodlands Checkpoint.

**** Shameful Piece Of Legislation <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2091>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
We have had 12 general elections in the last 50 y ears since the PAP first came to power. Laws have been constantly changed not just to ensure that the PAP wins every single time but the opposition's presence in Parliament remains non-existent or miniscule.

**** Changes Proposed To Films Act And Enhanced Police Powers <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2082>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
The legitimate use of police powers is effectively hijacked for the purposes of political oppression.