[MyAppleMenu] Jan 6, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 6 13:15:01 EST 2009

**** Was Apple 'Adequate But Late' On Jobs? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2009/tc2009015_652614.htm>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
Some corporate governance experts question whether the tech giant could have been more forthcoming about its CEO's hormone imbalance.

**** Sync Multiple iPods To One Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/137888/2009/01/sync_ipods.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld
When two or more people share a Mac, it gets a bit confusing. There are several ways you can sync multiple iPods to one Mac, but the easiest method is to share a music folder.
/Still involves cumbersome workarounds. Simply put, there are no good way for two people to share the same music files./

**** 'Hormone Imbalance' Raises Question Of Cancer <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-jobshormone6-2009jan06,0,1671829.story?track=rss>
by Shari Roan, Los Angeles Times
Steve Jobs' disclosure about having a hormone imbalance indicates he may be dealing with a recurrence of the disease, some doctors suggest.
Hormonal imbalances are common in people who have an active neuroendocrine tumor but would not be expected in someone who has been cured of the cancer, said Dr. Selwyn M. Vickers, chairman of the department of surgery at the University of Minnesota.

**** MacBook Wheel Revealed By The Onion News Network <http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/05/macbook-wheel-revealed-by-the-onion-news-network/>
by Laura June, Engadget
Sent from my MacBook Wheel.

**** Apple: America's Most Fragile Company <http://www.usnews.com/blogs/flowchart/2009/01/05/apple-americas-most-fragile-company.html>
by U.S. News &amp; World Report
If Jobs is Apple, and vice versa, then why own the stock if the man is so fragile? And why believe Jobs when he says he'll function impartially as CEO on matters that affect his own future?

**** How Much Apple Tax Do You Pay? <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/how_much_apple_tax_do_you_pay.html>
by Joe Wilcox, eWeek
How would I ever have known if not for Microsoft e-mailing information and a chart comparing Windows PCs to Macs?

**** Why All The Digging By The Apple Faithful At Steve Jobs' Health? <http://www.suntimes.com/business/1362825,ihnatko-steve-jobs-apple-health-010509.article>
by Andy Ihnatko, Chicaco Sun-Times
Yes, Mac people: this is what you've driven him to.

**** First! 14-Year-Old Already In Line For Macworld '09 Keynote <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2009/01/05/first-14-year-old-already-in-line-for-macworld-09-keynote>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Nick Lensander told us that he felt this was an /especially/ important keynote to attend because it will be the last Macworld Expo that will feature Apple.

**** Apple NewtBook <http://voices.allthingsd.com/20090105/apple-newtbook/>
by Dan Gillmor, AllThingsD
Apple was late to the MP3 party, but it beat everyone else with a system that changed the game. Could we see a similar breakthrough with its netbook?

**** Macs Vs. PCs: Is It Still A 'Tax' If Users Happily Pay A Premium? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1786>
by Mary Jo Foley, ZDNet.com
It's the eve of Macworld Expo and Microsoft officials are out talking up the idea of the "Apple tax" again.
See Also:
Microsoft's New Apple Attack Strategy: We're Cheaper <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2009/1/microsoft-scores-blasts-apple-tax-msft>, by Eric Krangel, Silicon Alley Insider. Windows machines /are/ cheaper than Macs, andt here's nothing wrong with competing on price, especially amidst a recession.

**** Mac Attack: More Students Are Turning To Apple <http://media.www.mustangdaily.net/media/storage/paper860/news/2009/01/05/Arts/Mac-Attack.More.Students.Are.Turning.To.Apple-3581797.shtml>
by Clinton McGue, Mustang Daily
Apple has reemerged as a premier computer company by creating a line of long-lasting, versatile computers with a user-friendly interface, while lessening the threat virus contamination.

**** Did Apple Disclose Enough? <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123117621715054281.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Erin White, Wall Street Journal

**** Steve Jobs' Health Now A Public Matter <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10131859-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
By finally deciding to talk about Steve Jobs' health, Apple may have opened a Pandora's Box.

**** Once Again, Apple Not Forthright About Steve Jobs' Health <http://clusterstock.alleyinsider.com/2009/1/so-apple-lied-about-steve-jobs-health--again>
by Henry Blodget, Clusterstock
Apple shareholders have every right to be outraged about the way the company has handled this.

**** Cue The Complaints: 17-Inch MacBook Pro Without A Removable Battery? <http://chuqui.typepad.com/chuqui_30/2009/01/cue-the-complaints-17-inch-macbook-pro-without-a-removable-battery-venturebeat.html>
by Chuqui
Cheaper, more reliable, and for most devices, users don't actually replace the batteries. It's a big non-issue, except for the really loud and noisy minority - the power users.

**** BusyMac Debuts BusyCal Calendar Sharing App <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/01/05/busycal.calendar.sharing/>
by MacNN
BusyCal enables people to share and annotate iCal calendars using Bonjour over a local area network (LAN), without the need of a dedicated server.

**** Now Apple's Credibility Really Is In The Balance <http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-10131001-60.html>
by Charles Cooper, CNET News.com
This latest PR stunt is going to raise new questions. Not about the exact nature of Jobs' ailment but about the parsimonious way Apple has communicated with the public about the health of its CEO.

**** Switcher's Lament: The Case Against Mac <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10130908-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Rafe Needleman, CNET News.com
Not all of the issues we have are with Apple products, and that's rather the point: No platform exists in a vacuum.
See Also:
Not Buying The "Switcher's" Case Against Apple's Mac <http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/applepeels/2009/01/not-buying-the-switchers-case-against-apples-mac.html>, by Applepeels.

**** Google Releases Picasa For Mac Beta <http://www.macworld.com/article/137912/2009/01/picasa_mac.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld
The free Picasa software is designed to help you organize your photos, regardless of where they reside on your computer.

**** Expo: ModelBaker Rapid App Development Software Debuts <http://www.macworld.com/article/137911/2009/01/modelbaker.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
ModelBaker helps users create applications for the web, iPhone, iPod touch and Google Android devices.

**** Roxio Releases Toast 10, Has Little To Do With Burning <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2009/01/05/roxio-releases-toast-10-has-little-to-do-with-burning>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica
New features include the ability to archive AVCHD-format footage from camcorders to DVD or Blu-ray discs, capturing streaming audio and video from the web for offline enjoyment, send SD or HD video frm your Mac to a TiVO, convert audiobook CDs to a single file with chapters for playback on an iPod, and sync folders between multiple devices on a network.

**** Mac-Based Image Editor Acorn Bumped To Version 1.5 <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2009/01/05/mac-based-image-editor-acorn-bumped-to-version-1-5>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica

**** First Look: FileMaker Pro 10 <http://www.macworld.com/article/137892/2009/01/filemaker10_firstlook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by William Porter, Macworld
I'm pleased that this upgrade offers lots of gain and almost no pain. In fact, at first glance, FileMaker Pro 10 offers so many real benefits to developers and end-users alike that, if you're already using FileMaker, you're going to find it hard to resist the urge to upgrade.

**** Jobs Has Hormone Imbalance, Will Remain Apple CEO <http://www.macworld.com/article/137896/2009/01/jobshealthletter.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
In a separate statement also published on Apple's web site, the company's board of directors expressed its support for Jobs.

**** Letter From Apple CEO Steve Jobs <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/05sjletter.html>
by Steve Jobs, Apple
As many of you know, I have been losing weight throughout 2008... My doctors think they have found the cause&mdash;a hormone imbalance that has been "robbing" me of the proteins my body needs to be healthy.
The remedy for this nutritional problem is relatively simple and straightforward, and I've already begun treatment... My doctors expect it will take me until late this Spring to regin <weight and body mass>. I will continue as Apple's CEO during my recovery.

**** Expo: FileMaker Turns 10 With Database Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/137890/2009/01/filemaker10.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple subsidiary FileMaker on Monday introduced the next major version of its flagship database application for Mac and Windows. The application has undergone some interface tweaks over the years, but nothing as dramatic as what users will see in FileMaker 10.

**** How Newspapers Tried To Invent The Web <http://www.slate.com/id/2207912/?from=rss>
by Jack Shafer, Slate
But failed.

**** Intel, Adobe To Tune Up Flash For TV Devices <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10131000-92.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0>
by Jonathan Skillings, CNET News.com

**** My Bright Abyss <http://www.theamericanscholar.org/my-bright-abyss/>
by Christian Wiman, The American Scholar
I never felt the pain of unbelief until I believed. But belif itself is hardly painless.

**** The Written History Of Prose <http://www.slate.com/id/2207865/?from=rss>
by T.R. Hummer, Slate

**** CCT Aborts Market Street Car Park Redevelopment Plans <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/400562/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
CapitaCommercial Trust (CCT) has decided not to redevelop the Market Street Car Park into a commercial builing. CCT said the decision was based on the uncertain market outlook and conditions liket ight credit and high redevelopment costs.

**** Jan 22 Is Budget Day <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_322645.html>
by Straits Times
The government will present its budget for the 2009 fiscal year when Parliament sits on Jan 22.

**** Senior Civil Servant Boasted About Spending S$46,500 To Learn French Cooking <http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/06/senior-civil-servant-boasted-about-spending-s46500-to-learn-french-cooking/>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club Of Singapore
Not that it was immoral for him to do so, but to boast about it openly in the papers to ordinary Singaporeans fretting about their livelihoods amidst an economic recession is downright insensitive, callous and arrogant.

**** Disappointed With NTUC Chief's Top Three Priorities <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/01/disappointed-with-ntuc-chiefs-top-3-priorities/>
by Gilbert Goh, The Online Citizen
The current crisis seems to have hit many PMEs right now. THis group of people is highly qualified and may not benefit from such retraining.

**** Singaporeans, Be Proud Of The Heartlands <http://acheadlines.blogspot.com/2009/01/singaporeans-be-proud-of-heartlands.html>
by AC Analysis And Coment
In Singapore, heartland is a term used with disdain, or even disgust.

**** Singapore Airlines Flies Into Price War <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News_by_Industry/Singapore_Air_flies_into_price_war/articleshow/3940008.cms>
by Mithun Roy, Economic Times
The cash rich Singapore Airlines is offering discount deals of up to 60%, connecting Mumbai with various South-East Asian cities.

**** Sell Singapore Dollar As Government Supports Exports, UBS Says <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aFdW4.huN9aM&refer=asia>
by Patricia Lui, Bloomberg
INvestors should sell Singapore's currency against the dollar, euro and yen as the government will favor depreciation to support exports amid a deepening recession, according to UBS AG.
A weaker currency may help boost exports, although it may also fuel inflation by making imports more expensive.

**** Singapore Slump Makes For A Toxic Cocktail <http://www.financeasia.com/article.aspx?CIaNID=92096>
by Rupert Walker, FinanceAsia.com
Economists fear that the Lion City will fall into the worst recession in its history, while hope rests on a resurgence of intra-regional trade.

**** Real Chinatown Is At Waterloo Street <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_322358.html>
by Tan Siang Meng, Straits Times
The present Chinatown has failed in its attempt to attract tourists. It has lost its charm.