[MyAppleMenu] Jan 4, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 4 13:15:00 EST 2009

**** Mac Only Apps <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2009/01/04/mac-only-apps/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald
With all the focus on the App store over the past year, I think some of the great work being done by Mac developers is getting lost in the chatter and I hope in 2009 a little more light might be shone on the Mac.

**** He Put Movie Lisings In An App <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/education/edlife/ideas-flixster-t.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Lisa Guernsey, New York Times
Jeff Grossman, a sophomore at Carnegie Mellon, had created a digital application for local movie listings for the iPhone. He was offering his service free as a promotion, but still he wondered: Would anyone want it?

**** Code Of Secrecy For Apple's iGod Still Goes With The Jobs Description <http://business.theage.com.au/business/code-of-secrecy-for-apples-igod-still-goes-with-the-jobs-description-20090103-79g1.html>
by Amanda Andrews, The Age
<Steve Jobs'> need for control comes as little surprise. Insiders say that he lost Apple once and made a pact that this would not happen again.

**** Macworld Expected To Attract Faithful Despite Steve Jobs' Absense <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008585647_ptmacc03.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
Macworld is the Jerusalem or Mecca for the Mac faithful, many of whom consider each year whether they should make the journey to San Francisco to bask in the milieu and see everything's that new in the Mac cosmos.

**** Win To Mac - Day One With A MacBook Pro <http://mac.blorge.com/2009/01/03/win-to-mac---day-one-with-a-macbook-pro/>
by Michael W. Jones, Mac.Blorge.com
<The power connector> is a feature with real benefits, and it is things like that which justify my switch as much as moving to OS X does.

**** What Apple Must Do At Macworld <http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/corporate/what_apple_must_do_at_macworld.html>
by Joe Wilcox, eWeek
I won't join the chorus of Macworld Expo predictions. I'mmore arrogant than that. I'm telling Apple what it better to hell announce next week.

**** Apple Sued Over iMac Screens <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple3-2009jan03,0,4865597.story>
by Bloomberg
Apple Inc., maker of the Macintosh computer and the iPhone, was sued over claims that display screens on the company's iMac desktop computer aredefective and show unwanted vertical lines.

**** See Me, Hear Me: A Video Game For The Blind <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/education/edlife/ideas-blindvideo-t.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Abby Ellin, New York Times
The game stars a D.J. named Vinyl Scorcher whose objective is to get the people in his nightclub on the dance floor, by playing great music.

**** Creature Comforts <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/magazine/04Creatures-t.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Rebecc Skloot, New York Times
It's no longer just guide dogs for blind people. Service animals now include monkeys for quadriplegies, parrots for psychotics and at least one assistance duck. Should the law recognize all of them?

**** Hew And Haw <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2009/01/04/hem_and_haw/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Globe+Magazine>
by Terri Trespicio, Boston Globe
Can the wrong pair of jeans throw a first date into serious doubt?

**** Timing Is Everything <http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/723/full>
by Ian Bostridge, Standpoint Online
If the world of physics is a space-time continuum, music is a pitch-time continuum.

**** The Singapore Change - Real Or Illusion? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=1764>
by Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net
There is no doubt that many Singaporeans are still waiting for Nanny to change their diapers. Until this changes, nothing has changed.

**** Sarawak Wants Singaporean To Buy Houses In The State <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/1/3/nation/20090103133105&sec=nation>
by Jack Wong, The Star
Sarawak will go on a roadshow in Singapore this year to promote Malaysia's Second Home programme.

**** Stranded As Walking Banned At Causeway <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/1/4/nation/2939526&sec=nation>
by Gladys Tay, The Star
The new ruling barring people from walking across the Causeway has not only turned out to be an inconvenience but left some stranded in Singapore.

**** Singapore In Deep Recession: Time For Expatriates In Singapore To Plan Their Exit <http://blog.thestar.com.my/permalink.asp?id=20342>
by The Star
The ugly truth is that Singapore "prospered" from the massacre and suffering of hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children in Korea and Vietnam for decades in the 50s, 60s and 70s by the American and the western "democrcies". The Singapore government have never acknowledge this fact, always insisting that the economic "miracle" was their own ingenuity. As such, the young generation of Singaporean have developed similar arrogance, devoid of any humility and gratitude to those of whose suffering and blood they have now benefited from.
The truth is that Singapore is nothing more than a puppet to the "masters of the world", run as a dictatorship by a single family and their cronies.

**** Urban Singapore Prepares To Gobble Up Its Last Village <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/world/asia/04village.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Seth Mydans, New York Times
With just 28 houses in an area the size of three football fields, it is Singapore's last rural hamlet, a forgotten straggler in the rush to modernize this high-rise, high-tech city-state. But apparently not for much longer. Kampong Buangkok is designated by the government for demolition and redevelopment, possibly in the near future. When it is gone, one of the world's most extreme national makeovers will be complete.

**** Forbidden Questions, Or: Tactics Of Persuasive Denial <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/208792.html>
by Mollymeek
False and scandalous? Who determines what the truth is?