[MyAppleMenu] Jan 1, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 1 13:15:02 EST 2009

**** Mac OS X Redesign: Feedback For "Hold Keys" <http://vgable.com/blog/2008/12/31/mac-os-x-redesign-feedback-for-hold-keys/>
by Vincent Gable
There isn't any indication that hold keys are special. Worse, if you try to use one the way you use /every/ other button on the keyboard, mouse, or computer &mdash; by tapping them &mdash; nothing happens.

**** Apple And The Great Confusion <http://andrewhargadon.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/12/apple-and-the-g.html>
by Harga-Blog
So Apple now sits with us, on the verge of the next major transition. Are they going to announce a radical change in strategy?

**** Macworld Will Be Notable For Who Won't Be There, What It Won't Have <http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11346332>
by John Boudreau, San Jose Mercury News
Even if there are no big announcements from Apple, there is apt to be news on Tuesday that will interest fans of the maker of iPods, iPhones and Macintosh computers.

**** Apple Could Suffer PC's Revenge <http://www.thestreet.com/story/10455639/1/apple-could-suffer-pcs-revenge.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEFI>
by Scott Moritz, TheStreet.com
Apple had a great decade, but its success has hinged as much on the downfall of the PC as it has on heralded CEO Steve Jobs.

**** When Woz Speaks Who Listens? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2707>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet.com
When it comes down to today's Macintosh and iPhone hardware and software, Woz is just another power user. Don't count on him for a glimpse of Apple strategic direction.

**** Signs Of The Times <http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2008/12/signs-of-the-ti.html>
by Guy Kawasaki, How To Change The World
There were a handful of stores without sales signs, but only one didn't offer discounts and had lots of people in it.

**** Macintosh At 25: Still The Innovation Leader <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10130065-80.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Dan Farber, CNET News.com
Don't expect the Mac faithful tow alk away from Macworld without something to satisfy their cravings.

**** Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak To Appear At Macworld <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/31/apple_co_founder_steve_wozniak_to_appear_at_macworld.html>
by AppleInsider
Modbook maker Axiotron announced Wednesday that Wozniak, an active member of its board of advisors, wil participate int he unveiling of the company's latest product an technologies.

**** NoteBook 3.0 Enhances The Page Concept <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9970>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
NoteBook 3.0 does a good job at providing a wide range of features, though with a focus on note taking and information collection.

**** 2008 In Review: Apple <http://www.macworld.com/article/137821/2008/12/apple.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

>From the high-flying iPhone to record sales of the Mac and strong financial results, 2008 was a year of success for Apple.

**** 2008 In Review: The Year's Top 10 Stories <http://www.macworld.com/article/137839/2008/12/top10stories_2008.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld

**** New Year, New You? Nice Try <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/fashion/01change.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Alex Williams, New York Times
In a season of change, in a year of change, most people who embark on a journey of self-renewal can expect anything but.

**** The Opposition In 2009 - Time To Get United <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/01/the-opposition-in-2009---time-to-get-united/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

**** Trains Are Now Less Crowded <http://singaporepublictransport.blogspot.com/2009/01/trains-are-now-less-crowded_01.html>
by Tan Kin Lian, Public Transport In Singapore
What is the main reason?

**** Great Fireworks - What About The Fallout? <http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2008/12/great-fireworks-what-about-fallout.html>
by Wild Shores of Singapore
I wonder if the environmental impact had been considered.

**** Singapore Expunged - Bit By Bit <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/01/singapore-expunged-bit-by-bit/>
by Ng Beng Choo, The Online Citizen
As Singaporeans ring in the new year with celebration, some residents of one area will leave their homes as development moves in on 1 January and demolishes their hosues. The area will then be turned into an aerospace hub.

**** Singapore Prepares Climate Change Impact Report <http://www.topnews.in/singapore-prepares-climate-change-impact-report-2102878>
by DPA
Environment experts are expected to release a climate change report on Singapore this year, highlighting the impact on coastal erosion, water scarcity and higher energy demand, according to a news report Thursday.

**** Who's Helping The White-Collar Workers? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,188415,00.html?>
by Ng Tze Yong, New Paper
It's the white-collar workers - someone like your retrenched boss - who needs more help in this recession than the poor. That's the view of Mr David Ang, execuive director of the Singapore Human Resources Institute.

**** Public Hospitals Begin Means Testing <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/399563/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
In light of the current economic downturn, the health ministry says it will be implemented with flexibility and compassion.
/I wonder when the ministry will withdraw its flexibility and compassion, and whether the withdrawal will be announced./