[MyAppleMenu] Aug 30, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 30 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Snow Leopard's System Preferences Shuffle <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=e88c629391c5f18db099e2efc1930abb>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

As it does in every major upgrade to Mac OS X, Apple has renovated System Preferences in Snow Leopard, reorganizing individual panes and changing the layout of settings within panes. You’ll also find new settings and wonder where some old ones went. Here are some of the most notable changes.

**** Snow Leopard: What's Gone Where <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=34c3995d1115744031da6eb8328b9ce5>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

When you first take a look around OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you might think Apple has done away with some of OS X 10.5’s applications and utilities. What, for instance, happened to the Exposé application? It used to be in the Applications folder. Is it really gone?

**** Don't Dare Take Your iPhone Abroad Before Reading This <http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-tc-trav-phone-0825-0830aug30,0,7403227.story?track=rss>
Karen Torme Olson, Chicago Tribune

By then, I had been in Europe for a month and realized that my next AT&T bill would be astronomical. I had been taking and sending photos, reading and writing e-mails, surfing the Internet, downloading digital newspapers and watching mindless YouTube footage with abandon.

**** Can Apple Sustain Its Run? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marketwatch.com%2Fstory%2Fcan-apple-sustain-its-run-2009-08-28&usg=AFQjCNFoaRdAr6X52Jw8EYINjNuenywiyA>
John C. Dvorak, MarketWatch

CEO Steve Jobs at least is looking to be innovative and aggressive.

**** Apple's Snow Leopard Puts The Industry To Shame <http://blog.internetnews.com/csaunders/2009/08/apples-snow-leopard-puts-the-i.html>
Christopher Saunders, InternetNews.com

The company's superior approach to the OS can't be denied. We have another example of how Apple's is unique in the realm of mainstream consumer operating systems: OS X gets faster and more powerful each time without significantly upping its hardware requirements.

**** iPhone Competition With Nintendo DS And Sony PSP Makes Companies Rethink Approach To Game Apps <http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_guide/2009/08/30/2009-08-30_iphone_games.html>
Patrick Huguenin, New York Daily News

As the game offerings for the iPhone grow in numbers and sophistication, the touch-screen gadget has emerged as a competitor to hand-held gaming devices such as the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP. The result: Major game companies are rethinking how they handle the market.

**** Using ‘Free’ To Turn A Profit <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/business/30ping.html?ref=technology>
Damon Darlin, New York Times

Evernote, of course, is free. That’s important because the company, which does no advertising, needs to acquire customers as cheaply as possible. “Our product is our marketing,” Mr. Libin says.

**** Coupons You Don’t Clip, Sent To Your Cellphone <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/29/technology/29coupon.html?ref=technology>
Jenna Wortham, New York Times

Mobile coupons — usually text messages with discount codes sent to a cellphone — are becoming the blue-light specials for the digital age, promoting last-minute clothing sales, two-for-one entrees and cheap tickets to the theater.

**** Good Books Don't Have to Be Hard <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203706604574377163804387216.html>
Lev Grossman, Wall Street Journal

Where did this conspiracy come from in the first place—the plot against plot? I blame the Modernists. Who were, I grant you, the single greatest crop of writers the novel has ever seen.

**** A Family's Hold On Our Landscape <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/29/AR2009082902401.html?hpid=topnews>
Joel Achenbach, Washington Post

Younger people might not understand why such a fuss has been made over a man who ran for president 30 years ago. It is hard to explain the Kennedy mystique to anyone who never experienced the tumult of the 1960s.

**** So You Want To Write A Presidential Biography <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200908u/presidential-biography>
Ben Schwartz, The Atlantic

The easy path to fame and riches as an author. Just follow my formula.

**** Eyes Wide Open <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/books/review/Lethem-t.html?ref=books>
Jonathan Lethem, New York Times

If American fiction writers largely find themselves sorted tediously into the category of “natural” at either the short or the long form, regardless of the extent of their commitment to both, then Lorrie Moore — justly celebrated for her three story collections — has surely been counted as a miniaturist. This book should spell the end of that.

**** One Local Production Gets Legal Help To Ensure The Laughs Don't Backfire <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1001605/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Mum's Demand For More Money From Son Rejected <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,212052,00.html?>
Crystal Chan, New Paper

Counsellors told The New Paper that while the majority of parents who go to the tribunal have been abandoned by their children, there is a minority who just want more money.

**** Chek Jawa At High Tide With The Naked Hermit Crabs <http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2009/08/chek-jawa-at-high-tide-with-naked.html>
Wild Shores Of Singapore

**** Justice For All <http://todayinsingapore.wordpress.com/2009/08/29/justice-for-all/>
Today In Singapore

Since the eradication of the jury system in Singapore (David Marshall’s prophetic: “The last nail is driven into the coffin of justice”), the defacto position in Singapore courts seems to be that one is guilty until proven innocent, and solicitors appear to be resigned to as much.

**** Temasek: One Step Closer To Accountability? <http://temasekreview.com/?p=12483>
Imran Ahmed, The Temasek Review

It’s been a slow and somewhat painful process, but the doors surrounding Temasek’s investment performance are gradually being pried open.

**** From Beer To Banks, Singapore Inc. Expands Across Asia <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fhostednews%2Fafp%2Farticle%2FALeqM5i11ba_H1Gir6f3H7K37fZfNuivaQ&usg=AFQjCNGCfGtsv1CMrt7D_H-vknQPAIL-qQ>
Bernice Han, AFP

Next time you stay in a luxury resort, buy a loaf of bread, open a bank account, sit on a massage chair, grab a sushi or sip a beer anywhere in Asia, check the company's country of origin. Chances are you are dealing with a brand based in Singapore, the affluent city-state that has broken beyond its compact size to become a regional economic powerhouse.

**** When One Day Is Not Enough <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/08/30/when-one-day-not-enough.html>
Kathy Petite, Jakarta Post

Like people say, "too much fun, too little time". That's how it feels when one spends a day on Sentosa Island, Singapore's most-visited playground. And that has nothing to do with age, no. From racing to flying to the top of the highest mountain, it's a fun for all.

**** Stages 1 & 2 Of Circle Line To Open In First Half Of 2010 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1001720/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

The next phase of the Circle Line – Stages 1 and 2 – will start operations in the first half of 2010. Transport Minister Raymond Lim revealed this at a dialogue session in Bukit Panjang on Sunday. Its exact opening date, however, will only be finalised after engineers complete the necessary tests.