[MyAppleMenu] Aug 26, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 26 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Snow Leopard`s Timing Is Extremely Important For Apple <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/Snow-Leopards-Timing-Is-Extremely-Important-for-Apple-625794/>
Don Reisinger, eWeek

Snow Leopard's release on Aug. 28 ensures that Apple will have all the time it needs to differentiate itself against the Windows juggernaut, especially as Microsoft gears up to offer Windows 7 in October. Apple, once again, made a bold, yet smart move.

**** Can A Mac Lover Go PC? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Flife-style%2Fgadgets-and-tech%2Ffeatures%2Fcan-a-mac-lover-go-pc-1777062.html&usg=AFQjCNE_hS6VXJKdWK05034IqfCEvs612w>
Paul McKenzie, Independent

One thing that I've learnt is that, although Apple has only a 10 per cent share of the market, more PC users wish they owned a Mac than vice-versa. I think I can see why. Having used a Mac for all of my journalistic life, I've seen nothing on the other side that could make me switch – although the Dell Studio 1555 gave me reason to think. I also feel that too much is made of the "Macs are expensive" argument – given the relative high cost of some high-end PCs. In both cases, you get what you pay for. So I'm going to treat myself to a MacBook Pro. Why? Because I'm worth it.

**** Jamie's To Open Here <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_421498.html>
Straits Times

British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver is looking to open two of his casual Jamie's Italian eateries here, with the first expected by the end of next year.

**** 盛港轻轨站月台 将装玻璃防护屏 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090826_003.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

经营轻轨服务的新捷运担心,进出月台的乘客全挤在狭窄走道上,万一不小心,有人被挤落轨道上,后果将不堪设想,它因此要求陆交局在月台装置防护屏。

**** Tan Kin Lian Sets Up Consumer Association To Educate Public On Investment <http://temasekreview.com/?p=12413>
The Temasek Review

Ex-NTUC Income CEO Mr Tan Kin Lian has set up a new consumer association - Financial Services Consumers Association (Fisca) to educate retail investors on saving and investment.

**** Singapore's Production Unexpectedly Climbs On Drug <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fapps%2Fnews%3Fpid%3D20601080%26sid%3Daf37S0__fTu0&usg=AFQjCNH1hNqFJWBsc_lkiUANfmqY0aR-Kg>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s industrial production unexpectedly surged the most in 16 months in July as pharmaceuticals output jumped and the electronics slump eased, heralding a sustained economic recovery.

**** Singapore Faces A 'Silver Tsunami' <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/KH27Ae01.html>
Megawati Wijaya, Asia Times

In a departure from the usual state-sponsored message urging Singaporean couples to have more children, this year's National Day rally addressed the island state's rapidly graying population. As rising health and living costs emerge as a threat to social stability and economic growth, a dramatic demographic shift is driving the government to re-examine its past anti-welfare stance.