[MyAppleMenu] Aug 10, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 10 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** The Case Against Apple Is Just As Much A Case For Apple <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/pFQD-ynPhR0/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

Many of the problems Calacanis talks about simply aren’t seen as problems by Apple, and more importantly, by the public at large. Until that changes, there is no real risk to Apple.

**** Media Companies Navigate Smart Phone Apps <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2009%2F08%2F10%2Fbusiness%2Fmedia%2F10apps.html&usg=AFQjCNEBuSJ28P8za54rpqJDubBAt5anbw>
Stephanie Clifford, New York Times

Media brands are jumping onto the iPhone. USA Today? There’s an app for that. “The Rachel Maddow Show”? “Entertainment Tonight”? Public radio? Yes, yes and yes, there are apps for those.

Now, if only there were an app that showed media companies how to make money on the iPhone.

**** Planet Calacanis <http://www.marco.org/159321665>
Marco Arment

He has some good points, but they’re buried in so much off-base ranting and misplaced frustration that it’s difficult to take any of it seriously.

**** An Apple Board Of Directors For The 2010s <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2009/tc2009089_545033.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Eric Schmidt's exit creates an opening for Apple to make COO Tim Cook a director. Next it needs members to help face the challenges of its fourth decade.

**** Re: The Case Against Apple <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/20090810050130:63A7C812-858C-11DE-B8EA-26B111F6C9C8/>
Tom Goltz, IP

I agree with the author that both the public AND Apple would benefit from the iPhone becoming a much more open platform, but he needs to be careful to confine his proposed solutions to the technically possible.

**** The Case Against [For] Apple <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/20090810050054:4DAB11FE-858C-11DE-A336-C50F12F6C9C8/>
Nic Pottier, IP

First off, one has to realize that Apple is vastly more open and provides far more opportunity to individual developers than any other platform. Although they weren't the first to have an on device app store, they are the first really popular phone to have one, and the first to exercise very little control over the content of said store. Yes, a few things are off limits, but name me another platform that has near the number of apps.

**** Major Educational E-book Publisher Targets iPhone <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=248fedeb832138d9079b962a3e0faf12>
MacNN

**** An Operating System For The Cloud <http://www.technologyreview.com/web/23140/>
G. Pascal Zachary, MIT Technology Review

Google is developing a new computing platform equal to the Internet era. Should Microsoft be worried?

**** Breakfast Can Wait. The Day’s First Stop Is Online. <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/10/technology/10morning.html?ref=technology>
Brad Stone, New York Times

Karl and Dorsey Gude of East Lansing, Mich., can remember simpler mornings, not too long ago. They sat together and chatted as they ate breakfast. They read the newspaper and competed only with the television for the attention of their two teenage sons.

That was so last century.

**** PSI Reading Stays Above 55 <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090810-0000043/PSI-reading-stays-above-55>
Today

**** Yes, That's My Grandpa Buried Under The Pavement <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,210009,00.html?>
Crystal Chan, New Paper

Mr Koh said: 'We often dreamt of our grandfather and he kept telling us that people were walking all over him in the park. We took the dream as a sign that we had to act on his last rites.'

**** Singapore Surrenders On US Route <http://business.theage.com.au/business/singapore-surrenders-on-us-route-20090809-ee7d.html?FORM=ZZNR3>
Matt O'Sullivan, The Age

Singapore Airlines has long had ambitions to fly between Australia and the US but has recently resisted lobbying aggressively for authorities to open the route further amid a severe downturn in travel. It has little interest - in the short-term, at least - in entering a market that has gone from a cosy duopoly to an aggressive four-airline contest in less than a year.

**** Singapore's Prime Minister Claims Credit For “Stronger Economic Position" <http://temasekreview.com/?p=11800>
The Temasek Review

The Singapore government has always proclaimed itself to be the chief architect of the nation’s economic growth, having pegged a portion of their salaries to the yearly GDP growth.

However, when Singapore became the first Asian country to fall into a recession last year, it claimed that it is an “inevitable” consequence of the global financial crisis of which it has “no control” over.