[MyAppleMenu] Aug 6, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 6 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** The Inhospitable Land Of The App Store <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/davidweiss/~3/_XnGqA1dGfU/the-inhospitable-land-of-the-app-store.html>
David Weiss, Unweary

What frustrates me most about the approval process is actually not that it is so opaque, but that it does nothing truly positive for customers. It doesn't help quality. It doesn't help customers find the right solutions. It doesn't protect customers.

**** Interview: Brent Simmons On Ads And Google Reader Sync In NetNewsWire <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/qdt-e3yae-k/14143>
Giles Turnbull, Cult of Mac

"It’s five-year-old code, and it was the first time I ever tried syncing. I’ve learned a ton about syncing since then. I’ve also learned that if I want to fix the bugs in the FTP (and MobileMe) syncing, I’d have to start over completely. It’s not just that it’s buggy — the model is flawed, top-to-bottom. The entire thing is a giant bug."

**** Apple Keyboard Firmware Vulnerability Demonstrated <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=331faebbf58903cf4b6c53fb86af5485>
Dan Moren, Macworld

As it turns out, Apple’s keyboards (both the laptop and external USB versions) include both a small amount of RAM and flash memory—plenty of room to run a simple keylogging program.

**** News: Apple, Psystar Settlement Conference Pushed To October <http://www.pheedcontent.com/click.phdo?i=b0fafe2f597b7c9ba00893b7c113e09a>
Jeff Gamet, The Mac Observer

The motion to postpone the meeting was jointly filed by Apple and Psystar so that it would fall after the August 21st fact discovery deadline, and because Psystar's new legal team was still familiarizing itself with the case.

**** The End Of The Road For A Favored Text Editor <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=ee2d91dd7303d4281274c093b0524634>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Five Parent-Proof Reasons You Need An iPhone <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=59f903bfacd96d5d460ddc65e28e644d>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Going off to college can be scary, especially if it’s your first time on your own. But you know what makes it less scary? Getting your own iPhone. So, kids, here are five great reasons you can use to convince your folks that the one thing you absolutely need when going off to college isn’t a laundry bag or clean towels, but the most advanced smart phone on the face of the earth.

**** Mac OS X 10.5.8 Chock Full Of Security, Reliability Fixes <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/vHH6rLcToag/mac-os-x-1058-chock-full-of-security-reliability-fixes.ars>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Apple has released Mac OS X 10.5.8 via Software Update with plenty of reliability and security fixes to go around. Leopard users will want to update, even if they're just biding time until Snow Leopard is released this fall.

**** The Great iPhone Lockdown: Should The FCC Force Apple To Sell Google's iPhone Apps? <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/slate/~3/JmxnCH7p-cU/>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate

The iPhone runs on public networks and therefore falls under government jurisdiction. At the very least, the regulators have a duty to ensure fair competition on wireless networks—and by arbitrarily blocking rivals from its device, the iPhone's software platform simply isn't fair.

**** 1Password, 1Password Pro Updated With Quick Copy/Paste And More <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AppAdvice/~3/w6IY7O_lQ3U/>
Tyler Tschida, App Advice

**** Like Many Relationships, iPhone Love Can Sour <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftoday.msnbc.msn.com%2Fid%2F32177251%2Fns%2Ftechnology_and_science-wireless%2F&usg=AFQjCNFl8fWdKJF3AmR6wzf9fpCtr2cGGA>
Daniel Harrison, MSNBC

Gadget can do no wrong at first — but then the faults appear and annoy.

**** Final Cut Pro Gets New Metadata Workflow Tools <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=3c15df01c764970cc185796881f54b36>
MacNN

**** A Not-so-deeper Look At OS X 10.5.8 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=a9486491bcc61e14f4fa146eedadb94d>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Apple’s own notes do a good job at covering the big details of the items it updated this time out.

**** Small But Mighty <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstar-techcentral.com%2Ftech%2Fstory.asp%3Ffile%3D%2F2009%2F8%2F6%2Fprodit%2F20090806104840%26sec%3Dprodit&usg=AFQjCNHDtNx4DvEtQjDtTCXT19jA552RCw>
Chong Jinn Xiung, Malaysia Star

The most notable overall improvement to the new Macbook Pro is its long-lasting battery life, which significantly increases its usability when you’re out travelling and saves you the trouble of having to charge every so often.

**** Software Pricing: Are We Doing It Wrong? <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001293.html>
Jeff Atwood, Coding Horror

I love buying software, and I know I buy a heck of a lot more of it when it's priced right. So why not?

**** Has Unified Mobile Management For Business Arrived? <http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/has-unified-mobile-management-business-arrived-085>
Galen Gruman, InfoWorld

New MobileIron platform for BlackBerry, iPhone, and others promises to make smartphone management enterprise-class.

**** Wilder Women <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2009/08/10/090810crat_atlarge_thurman?currentPage=all>
Judith Thurman, New Yorker

The mother and daughter behind the Little House stories.

**** The Secret Is Out: We Can See Your Feet <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/fashion/06SKIN.html>
Catherine Saint Louis, New York Times

A midsummer's confession: when it comes to skin, I discriminate. I wish I treated my feet with the same tender loving care as I do my face. But I don’t. Not even close.

**** We Want Deeds, Not Words <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2631-we-want-deeds-not-words>
Gandhi Ambalam, Singapore Democrats

The Jobs Credit scheme obviously cannot help those who are retrenched. For these people how do they survive without income?

**** Teens Having Sex Earlier <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_413048.html>
Leow Si Wan, Straits Times

Crime statistics issued on Wednesday for the first half of the year showed that the number of statutory rape cases involving girls under 14 jumped more than 70 per cent, to 37 cases, compared to the same period last year.

**** Sovereign Wealth Funds: Goodyear Retreat Raises Strategic Issues For Temasek <http://www.euromoney.com/Article/2266037/CurrentIssue/72772/Sovereign-wealth-funds-Goodyear-retreat-raises-strategic-issues-for-Temasek.html>
Euromoney

Having announced change and seen it reversed, the net effect on perception of Temasek is likely to be worse than if it had never announced a change at all.

**** Enforce Passenger Limits On Trains And Public Buses Too <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_412951.html>
Chua Peck Lan, Straits Times

While action is being taken against vehicles carrying more passengers than legally allowed, why is it that buses and trains seem packed, especially during peak hours? It does not seem to matter to the authorities - perhaps until an accident results in casualties.

Yes, it's insanely packed, but I don't think the load has exceeded "legal" limits. It will probably be better to argue to lower the legal limits.

**** The First Question <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-question.html>
Mr Wang Says So

**** Haze Is Back In Singapore <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_413274.html>
Ess Aubrey Gabrelyn, Straits Times

It's back. Smoke haze shrouded Singapore on Thursday morning, with an acrid burning smell hanging in the air. The Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) hit its first moderate level since February on Wednesday.

**** Singapore Trade Min: Too Early To Say Exports Stable <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2009/08/05/afx6746818.html?FORM=ZZNR>
Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

It is too early to say Singapore is seeing a strong, sustained economic recovery, the country's trade minister Lim Hng Kiang said on Thursday.

**** Buffett Vindicated! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/08/buffett-vindicated.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

MM Lee got it wrong.

**** Two More H1N1-related Deaths In Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/447227/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Cheeky Chocolates <http://meginsing.blogspot.com/2009/08/cheeky-chocolates.html>
An American girl in Singapore

We walked in the door and saw chocolate everywhere.

Seriously. Everywhere.

**** PM Lee Looking For Successor In His 30s To Be Fielded In Next GE <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/447265/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's fourth prime minister could be among the new faces fielded in the next general election due by early 2012, said senior minister Goh Chok Tong on Thursday.

However, he added that prime minister Lee Hsien Loong is now having a more difficult time looking for suitable candidates in their 30s.

PAP would do well to start looking outside their own echo chamber.

**** Re-Tune Foreign Worker Policy <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_413488.html>
Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

Labour leader Josephine Teo wants the government to 're-tune' its foreign worker policy to arrest the declining productivity of Singapore workers.