[MyAppleMenu] Aug 4, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 4 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Mac 911 And The Summer Vacation <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=7e62cf553bead3f87afb4b5adae4829b>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

Just when I think I’ve got this summer-vacation-and-technology thing down, new lessons present themselves.

**** Ten Essential Back-to-school iPhone Apps <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=5c0922de9af0cb1ba09cf0c6866d1f45>
by Jeff Phillips, Macworld

Getting ready for classes to start? Make sure these apps are on your iPhone.

**** Schmidt's Exit From Apple Board Benefits Consumers <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=f2721a0d63a10ed5501889bc66045811>
by Todd R. Weiss, PC World

For consumers, Schmidt’s resignation won’t have a direct impact, certainly, but it could be a harbinger of new cool things coming from both companies in the future.

**** FTC Still Probing Google And Apple After Schmidt Resignation <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/mQYYiwVNCOI/ftc-still-probing-google-and-apple-after-schmidt-resignation.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Apple's Board of Directors and Google CEO Eric Schmidt have parted ways, but Genentech CEO Arthur Levinson still sits on both boards. Because of this, the Federal Trade Commission has confirmed that it's still investigating the companies for anticompetitive behavior while a watchdog group calls for Levinson's resignation.

**** Apple’s Coming Radio Shack Problem <http://pixobebo.com/index.php/pixonomy/articles/apples_coming_radio_shack_problem/>
by PixoBebo

Like Radio Shack, Apple’s iTunes Store needs a new name and more than a paint job.

**** Give The Apple Board Seat To Tim Cook <http://www.businessinsider.com/give-the-apple-board-seat-to-tim-cook-2009-8>
by Dan Frommer, Business Insider

Now that Apple has its Eric Schmidt problem solved -- the Google CEO stepped down from Apple's board today -- it's a perfect opportunity to appoint Apple chief operating office Tim Cook to the board of directors.

**** Re: Keyboard Hack Could Leave Your Mac Completely Vulnerable <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/20090803185642:E7FB890C-8080-11DE-AB5D-71E211F6C9C8/>
by Jeff Porten, IP

In short -- Ou is a known yahoo, and this strikes me as more FUD. I'll believe this when I see confirmation from a respectable source.

**** Apple Releases GarageBand 5.1 Update <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=889ddc4689bb66c03a8ded9cea866f2d>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

The 139MB update to Apple’s consumer audio creation application includes several changes. You can now add GarageBand track effects and Audio Units to a guitar track; there’s improved support for Apogee audio interfaces and access to audio monitoring settings; and the program offers faster switching to full screen in Magic GarageBand.

**** Apple Bans App Store’s 3rd-most Prolific Developer <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/trBT-MaHtc0/>
by Gagan Biyani, MobileCrunch

Whoa. Wait a second. Over the course of 9 months, Apple has accepted 900 applications submitted by Khalid Shaikh and his team of developers. Then, realizing their mistake months later, Apple tells Khalid he has to delete all of his apps? I’m not going to say that Khalid’s apps aren’t useless (more on that later), nor would I argue that they are providing any value to the App Store (they aren’t). Yet, there are obviously some major inconsistencies when Apple lets hundreds of applications through the App Store, all from one developer, and then suddenly revokes the developer’s license to do business altogether.

**** Schmidt Resignation: Is Apple Building Apple Search Service? <http://www.siliconvalleywatcher.com/mt/archives/2009/08/schmidt_resigna.php>
by Tom Foremski, Silicon Valley Watcher

**** The Google Vs. Apple War Begins <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351125,00.asp>
by Sascha Segan, PC Magazine

Is Google using the government to show Apple who's boss?

**** Review: SpamSweep 1.6.1 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=771e9e6c8cf6634479537fd479b2e04b>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

If you’re looking for an easy-to-use antispam program, and don’t mind using two applications to handle your e-mail, SpamSweep 1.6.1 is a reasonable alternative. If you prefer a more integrated approach or you’d like more control over the filters used to sort your e-mail, you’ll want to look elsewhere.

**** A Bruising Experience For Apple <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2009/aug/04/eric-schmidt-google-apple?FORM=ZZNR6>
by The Guardian

**** Apple Vs. Google: Tech's Newest Rivalry? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2009/tc2009084_007016.htm?chan=rss_topEmailedStories_ssi_5&FORM=ZZNR9>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

The Valley giants both want to determine how users access the mobile Web. Eric Schmidt's exit from Apple's board may be the shot that starts the race in earnest.

**** Play Internet Radio In The Background <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=7e71a35c485a51194d5a623f3f2b5e07>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

It turns out that, thanks to the iPhone 3.0 software update, the iPhone is finally capable of playing back streaming audio in the background. You can’t do it with a third-party app, of course, but you can do it with Safari.

**** New iPhone Ad Shows Off Sharing Features <http://www.pheedcontent.com/click.phdo?i=4b435a51e99ad5ff3f1f0aaa287a783f>
by The Mac Observer

Apple released a new iPhone commercial Monday evening that shows off the device's ability to share data through third party applications.

**** NewsGator Switches Users To Google Reader For Sync, Online RSS <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/tidbits_main/~3/haIfrrDvgf8/10456>
by Doug McLean, TidBITS

NewsGator made a kind of promise when it took a popular software category and made it impossible for a commercial application to survive: that the firm was committed to this for the long haul. Business exigencies may have changed that commitment, but the firm has done a poor job communicating about the situation and offering users a smooth transition.

**** WebGL Promises To Bring Hardware-accelerated Graphics To The Web <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=4441abc9055c4e803f17a140b2297718>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

The Khronos Group, the same industry consortium that on Monday released the OpenGL 3.2 specification, on Tuesday announced WebGL, a new initiative that its proponents hope will drive a standard for the display of hardware-accelerated 3D graphics on the Web.

**** At Louvre, Many Stop To Snap But Few Stay To Focus <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/03/arts/design/03abroad.html?_r=1>
by Michael Kimmelman, New York Times

Spending an idle morning watching people look at art is hardly a scientific experiment, but it rekindles a perennial question: What exactly are we looking for when we roam as tourists around museums? As with so many things right in front of us, the answer may be no less useful for being familiar.

**** Same-Old, Same-Old <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/slate/~3/DsyEpL3ptWM/>
by Robert Pinsky, Slate

Alexander Pope's "Epistle" and the art of making poetry from normal, banal, petty life.

**** Singapore: 10 Things To Do In 24 Hours <http://www.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1845806,00.html?FORM=ZZNR8>
by Daven Wu, Time

Singaporeans moan that besides shopping, dining and the movies, there's not a lot you can do here. Ignore them. The must-see list for the one-day visitor to Singapore, especially the first-timer, is absorbingly long.

**** George Yeo Is Mistaken About Burma’s History <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/08/george-yeo-is-mistaken-about-burmas-history/>
by John Moe, The Online Citizen

Mr Yeo is thoroughly mistaken.

**** Singapore Foreign Minister Challenged Over Burma Remarks <http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=16467>
by Wai Moe, The Irrawaddy

Remarks on Burma by Singapore’s Foreign Minister George Yeo have raised eyebrows in Burmese exile circles. In an interview with Singapore’s Online Citizen, Yeo made several wrong statements on Burma, leading to questions about the depth of his knowledge of that country.

**** 海南鸡饭传奇身世 走出去风光华人世界 <http://news.hainan.net/newshtml08/2009w8r3/542147f0.htm>
by 杨春虹, 海南日报

程文华是和新加坡中厨协会代表团首次到海南的,因为海南鸡饭的缘故,不少第一次到海南的大厨并不觉得这是一个陌生的地方。在首届“海南鸡饭”暨文昌鸡美食研讨会上,两地大厨交流鸡饭厨艺,讨论两地鸡饭的异同或是优劣……省烹饪协会秘书长林俊春说:“‘海南鸡饭’就有如是从海南嫁出去的姑娘,在新加坡落地生根,由土变洋,成了响当当的明星,现在回娘家了。”

**** 从新加坡赌场招聘荷官到对新加坡开赌场的看法 <http://babypig0630.blog.sohu.com/128819018.html>
by 水中飘流的一片浮萍

新加坡建设赌场,本地人反对的声音似乎都大过赞成的.我也不赞成建赌场,利用人们贪婪好斗的本性,怕是国家花园城市的美名都要被赌桌上污烟瘴气的赌风给污染了.

**** Reforming The Obsolete Political System Remains A Key Challenge For The Next Generation <http://temasekreview.com/?p=11626>
by The Temasek Review

To reform the obsolete political system which has made us a laughing stock of modern democracies in the free world, we must first boot out the ruling party through the general elections, but without a credible alternative waiting in place, we may have to put up with the status quo for many more years to come.

**** New Security Command <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_412193.html>
by Kimberly Spykerman, Straits Times

The Police MRT unit (PMU) will be beefed up to become the public transport security command, deputy prime minister Wong Kan Seng announced on Tuesday morning.

It will work closely with land transport authority and public transport operators to formulate and implement security policies and measures to enhance safety and security of public transport network, he said.

**** 44 Years After Split, Singapore, Malaysia Seek Better Terms <http://www.topnews.in/44-years-after-split-singapore-malaysia-seek-better-terms-2197626?FORM=ZZNR2>
by DPA

**** Genting Singapore Resort May Open Earlier <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.btimes.com.my%2FCurrent_News%2FBTIMES%2Farticles%2F20090804133054%2FArticle%2Findex_html&usg=AFQjCNGMeYMXa6Hv-wzPNrtjRgL6UDFS3A>
by Business Times

**** Seagate To Close Singapore Plant, To Lay Off 2000 <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com%2Farticle%2FrbssTechMediaTelecomNews%2FidUSSIN51613620090804&usg=AFQjCNESVQ5ai1e6OU_uRrXnNGob7sAr5g>
by Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

**** 'Early Opening' Report Untrue <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_412303.html>
by Straits Times

Resorts World at Sentosa on Tuesday refuted a report by an investment bank about a possible early opening.

**** Is Wong Kan Seng Feeling Vulnerable? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2630-is-wong-kan-seng-feeling-vulnerable>
by Singapore Democrats

Given all that has happened in the last year with and to Mr Wong, perhaps it is not entirely surprising that the minister seems to be adopting a lower profile.