[MyAppleMenu] May 31, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 31 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** The Evolving World Of Mac Backup Software <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9639>
by Joe Kissell, TidBITS
I'm all in favor of choice, but seriously... Mac users do not need /this/ many backup options! What we need is a small number of excellent options. And yet, although my list of 60 programs includes some that are very good, there isn't a single one to which I'd give a perfect 10-out-of-10 rating, or even 9 out of 10.

**** Apple: Teens Not Banned From Stores <http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2008/05/30/apple_teens_not_banned_from_stores/5368/>
by UPI
An Apple Inc. spokesman has denied that four teenagers were permanently banishd from all the company's stores by a Palo Alto, Calif., manager.

**** Would We Hate Microsoft If It Were Apple? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9955630-16.html?part=rss&subj=TheOpenRoad>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com
Microsoft makes products that people /have/ to use. Apple makes products that people /want/ to use. That's why we love Apple and deride Microsoft. It's as simple as that.

**** Triple Threa: Parallels Vs. VMware Fusion Vs. Boot Camp <http://www.crn.com/software/208401232>
by Samara Lynn, ChannelWeb
The secret has been out for a while. Vista runs better in many insances on Apple Mac's hardware than on other PCs. But figuring out the /best/ way to run Vista on a Mac is an entirely different story.

**** Microsoft Warns Of Security Vulnerability Arising From Apple's Safari <http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/browsers/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208401280&subSection=All+Stories>
by Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek
Unless the default Safari download location is changed, an attacker could exploit the vulnerability by tricking a user into visiting a maliciously crafted web site, Microsoft said.

**** Spaces In 10.5.3 <http://daringfireball.net/2008/05/spaces>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Once you're in a space, you stay there until you explicitly switch /spaces/, not just switch /apps/. This makes all the difference in the world for the way I, and others, want to use Spaces.

**** Apple Is Music Industry's Public Enemy No. 1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133694/2008/05/drmenemy.html>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
Now there's only really one question left: will Apple manage to destroy the record labels before the record labels manage to destroy themselves?

**** A Year After iTunes Plus, Apple Faces Stepped-Up Competition <http://www.macworld.com/article/133667/2008/05/stateofdrm.html>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
It would seem that Steve Jobs's proposed future of DRM-free music has quickly become a reality&mdash;if not in quite the way he envisioned.

**** Bugs &amp; Fixes: Fixes In 10.5.3 Go Beyond Apple's Software <http://www.macworld.com/article/133685/2008/05/0530bugsnfixes.html>
by Ted Landau, Macworld

**** SuperSync iTunes Library Manager Enhances Filtering <http://www.macworld.com/article/133677/2008/05/supersync.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
SuperSync simplifies the process of synchronizing iTunes libraries between Macs, PCs and iPods. It transfers music files and their accompanying metadata, so information on genre, artist, album and track number stays consistent from machine to machine.

**** FIction And Political Fact <http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/015_02/2458>
by Morris Dickstein, Bookforum.com
The political novel has always been an odd hybrid of fact and fiction.

**** Sex And The City (Circa 1840) <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/books/review/Baker-t.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Nicholson Baker, New York Times
For nearly 150 years, the flash press was all but forgotten by historians &mdash; before it was rediscovered by Patricia Cline Cohen.

**** Romance Languages <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/books/review/Schillinger2-t.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Liesl Schillinger, New York Times
Does the word "spinster" &mdash; calling to ind a bony, stoop-shouldered figure in a cardigan &mdash; still apply today? Or have the kittenish, tomcatting bacheloretts of Sx and the City" reset the sereotype, transforming the mopey Mildreds of yesteryear into sensual Samathans? It's a subject that can't be broached without giving offense.

**** Jumbo Lit <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/books/review/Queenan-t.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Joe Queenan, New York Times
I'm not suggestig that gigantic books are useful only as an excuse for avoiding responsibility. No, those who read them also reap the psychic benfits of being admitted to an exclusive club, like Icelandic rodeo queens or American presidents whose administrations did not end in disaster. THose who have read the unabridged "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" and "Remembrance of Things Past" and "Man Without Qualities" belong to a very special group because at any given time there are n more than a few hundred such people on the face of the earth, and none of them live in Tarrytown.

**** Improbable Paradise <http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1810168,00.html>
by Krista Mahr, Time
In 2007, a record 2 million tourists visited Cambodia, signaling that the country was beginning to shake its killing fields image as an improverished backwater where wandering off the beaten path could mean finding yourself astride an unexploded land mine.

**** The Reflection Reflex <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121218930427334197.html?mod=rss_Books>
by Christopher F. Chabris, Wall Street Journal
How brain researchers pinpointed the inextricable link between seeing and doing.

**** Chiam Fulfils Walkway Promise Made At 2006 Polls <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_242976.html>
by Keith Lin, Straits Times
On Saturday, the oppostion MP 'opened' the walkway which links the MRT station to the town centre, amid a shower of colurful confetti and a rousing lion dance.

**** How Singapore's Courts Hold Up To Rawl's 'Justice As First Virtue Of Social Institutions' <http://aussgworldpolitics.wordpress.com/2008/05/31/how-singapores-courts-hold-up-to-rawls-justice-as-first-virtue-of-social-institutions/>
by Readings From A Political Duo-ble
The Singapore courts have seriously compromised itself by allowing itself to be used as a political instrument thereby delegitising itself as an institution of and for justice.

**** Singapore Attorney Warns Of Rights "Fanatics": Paper <http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSSP4335620080531?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews>
by Jan Dahinten, Reuters
Singapore's attorney general warned that the concept of human righs must not be allowed to become a religion for fanatics to achieve political goals such as gay marriage, the Straits Times reported on Saturday. The newspaper quoted attorney-general Walter Woon as saying that it would be "hypocrisy" for such activists to decide what is acceptable for the rest of society.
/So, the rest of the society is going to decide what an individual can or cannot do? Must I get permission from the rest of the society whether I should wear a blue shirt or a white shirt today?/

**** Police Move In After Angry Crowds Demand Refund For Cancelled Sentosa Show <http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/viewContent.jsp?id=24721>
by Stomp
"We've went through many, many campaigns to bring good service in Singapore, and we could not even fulfill a simple task of refunding cash when goods are not delivered... WHat kind of image are we projecting to these visitors?"
/Sentosa, this is a disgrace./

**** Speaking Out For The Silent Majority <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/31/focus/21400377&sec=focus>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
All these years the ruling People's Action Party and the civil service have laid claims &mdash; through super high salaries &mdash; to some of the state's best educated. The majority settle into their careers without wanting to rock the boat, even when they disagree with a government policy. In the course of the years, however, there had been a few exceptions of outspoken government people.

**** Problem Is With The Cashcard <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_242724.html>
by Maria Almenoar, Straits Times
Now tests on 171 affected cars this week point to what may be the problem: the CashCard, not the in-vehicle unit (IU) - the electronic devices placed ont he dashboard and used to deduct payment from the CashCards.

**** Causeway Woes: Kudos To SBS, But Not SMRT <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_242905.html>
by K Rajamanikam, Straits Times
The SMRT appears to have come up with a brilliant way of solving the problem by diverting its feeder services away from the jam bottlenecks, and returning them to the safety of the bus interchange.

**** 'Singapore A Good Destination For Bangladeshi Workers' <http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=39032>
by The Daily Star

**** 'Singaporeans Come For More Than Just Fuel' <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/National/2254013/Article/index_html>
by New Straits Times
A proposed ban on the sale of subsidised fuel to Singapore-registered vehicles may have an effect on petrol stations operating near the Causeway, but operators are not worried.