[MyAppleMenu] May 29, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 29 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** MacBook Air: User Review <http://www.notebooks.com/2008/05/29/macbook-air-user-review/>
by Noetbooks.com

**** 3 To Carry iPhone In Hong Kong, Macau <http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/05/29/iphone.for.hong.kong.macau/>
by Electronista
/3 is the name of the telco; it's not the case that Apple had signed up with 3 telcos in one city./

**** Apple Ships Massive Mac OS X 10.4 Security Upgrade <http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21479>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Apple Cures iCal Ills <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Apple-Cures-iCal-Ills/>
by Brian Prince, eWeek
Apple has patched bugs in its iCal calendar application a week after security researcher disclosed them.

**** Getting The Most Out Of WWDC <http://blog.tinyplanetsoftware.com/2008/05/getting-most-out-of-wwdc.html>
by Brad Will, TinyPlanet Software Blog
First and foremost, you really need to work out your schedule ahead of time.

**** Another Reason I Love Apple <http://www.synapsoftware.com/blogit/articles/2008/05/28/more-reasons-to-switch-to-apple>
by Scott Meade, Synap Software The Blog
Apple is simply following well-proven best practices of customer services and being rewarded with loyal consumers.

**** Traveling With A MacBook Air, Part 1 <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,146157-c,macnotebooks/article.html>
by James A. Martin, PC World
The answer? I love the Air and I think many other mobile professionals will too, though it's not for everyone.

**** Apple Silently Rolls Out French iTunes Video Store <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/28/french.itunes.video.store/>
by MacNN

**** Yahoo BrowserPlus Aims For Better Surfing <http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9954293-7.html>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

**** Apple To Make Major Studios' Films Available For Download <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article4023204.ece>
by Dan Sabbagh, The Times
Apple is poised to announce it will start selling films from four major Hollywood studios for download in the UK as part of its iTunes internet serivice at prices on a par with DVDs.

**** Mac OS 10.5.3 Update Resolves Numerous Issues <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9632>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** 10.5.3 Brings Gmail/Address Book Sync... For iPhone Users <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/05/28/10-5-3-brings-gmailaddress-book-sync-for-iphone-users>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Sorting Through The Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/133644/2008/05/osx1053.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Why Apple Will Sell 10 Million iPhones <http://www.macworld.com/article/133636/2008/05/10_million_iphones.html>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

**** Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/28/mac.os.x.1053/>
by MacNN
This relatively major release addreses a number of issues extant in previous editions of Mac OS X 10.5.x, including problems with AirPort, Time Capsule, Mail, iChat, iCal and more.

**** A Shortcut To Mobile TV <http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/28/technology/wireless29.php>
by Tarmo Virki, Reuters
The long-running debate over how mobile network operators would make money by providing television programs for cellphones has taken a fresh twist - a new breed of devices is threatening to strip them out of the action.

**** Truth And Consequences <http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/visualart/story/0,,2282309,00.html>
by Lee Siegel, Guardian
For a true critic, judgment is the burden you start out with.

**** Rage Against The Machines <http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=10209>
by Tom Chatfield, Prospect
Modern video games mean big business, and big controversy. Yet most of the charges levelled against games&mdash;that they stunt minds and spark addiction&mdash;are based on an outdated understanding of what gamers do when they sit down to play.

**** Resorts World Says No To Shark's Fin Soup <http://www.csr-asia.com/index.php?id=11870>
by CSR Asia

**** Singaporeans Are Foreign Smugglers, So Says Yakcop <http://www.mr-endoh.com/singapore/singaporeans-are-foreign-smugglers-so-says-yakcop/>
by Endoh's Dungeon

**** 20 Firms Pledge To Give One-Off Payout To Help Workers Cope With Inflation <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/350730/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
About 20 companies have decided to adopt the National Wage Council's recommendation to give their rank-and-file employees a one-off lump sum payment to help them cope with inflation.
/The companies are not named in this report, and there's no mention where this figure of "20 companies" came from./

**** Singapore's StarHub Says Pay TV Subscribers To Grow 5 To 10 Percent A Year <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/05/29/afx5057601.html>
by Thomson Financial
StarHub has not seen a drop in subscribers since rival Singpapore Telecommunications Ltd (SingTel) launched its pay TV services last year, cable TV head Patrick Lim said.

**** Singapore Is 9Th Most Expensive Office Market <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Money/STIStory_242187.html>
by Straits Times
Singapore has emerged as the ninth most expensive office market in CB Richard Ellis's (CBRE) lastest semi-annual Global Market Rents survey. Singapore was ranked 11th int eh last survey in November last year and 24th in the May 2007 survey, The Business Times reported on Thursday.

**** East Meets West <http://www.mr-endoh.com/singapore/east-meets-west/>
by Endoh's Dungeon

**** What Does It Take For A Singaporean Minister To Be Sacked? <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/what-does-it-take-for-a-singaporean-minister-to-be-sacked.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
I wish I had such a diamond rice bowl.

**** Singapore Military Copters In Burma Airspace <http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/05/28/regional/regional_30074195.php>
by The Nation
Singapore appeared to be the only country that Burma has given permission to enter its territorial water and air space as the unta continue to deny permission to foreign naval ships and military helicopters and cargo plane from entering Burma's territory.

**** You Pay What You Bring <http://absolutjoiz.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/you-pay-what-you-bring/>
by Absolutjoiz
Then do we call them budget airlines anymore? Probably not anymore if things continue like that!

**** What's On Dr. Mahathir's Mind? <http://www.mr-endoh.com/singapore/whats-on-dr-mahathirs-mind/>
by Endoh's Dungeon

**** Chee's Last Stand <http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/chees-last-stand/>
by Chemical Generation Singapore
A stalemate has been reached and the only people who benefit from this Chee-Lee feud are opposition parties like WP, who are sitting quietly and smartly on the sidelines.

**** The Power Of Effective English <http://iantan.org/?p=952>
by Ian Tan, Empty Vesel
MM Lee's two labels for CSJ are truly impressive - they are simple to understand, yet ar eloaded with meanings, and immediately carved out a public persona for people to frame CSJ into.

**** Things I Learned Riding Every Day To Work For A Year In Singapore <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2008/05/things-i-learne.html>
by mrbrown
The Airzounds air horn rules. The look on a driver's face when a bicycle horns back as loudly is priceless.
/You know what, as a pedestrian, I wish I have one too. The look on a cyclist's face when I horn back is going to be priceless./

**** Barred Last Year, Back This Year <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/256381.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Responding to Today's queries, a Ministry of Home Affairs spokesman explained that NUS, along with the other two public-funded universities, are exempt from the Public Entertainment and Meetings Act.

**** Change Policy, NTUC <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/256360.asp>
by Tan Kin Lian, Today
You carried a statement from NTUC Income that the old bonus declared was unsustainable. I disagree.