[MyAppleMenu] May 21, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 21 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Apple's 'Might Mouse' Violates Trademark, M&amp;M Says <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=AAPL:US&sid=a2zSYWDs620o>
by Erik Larson, Bloomberg
Apple, along with CBS, was sued for trademark infringement by a closely held computer-accessory firm over the name of its wireless "Might Mouse" device, whose name evokes the cartoon superhero.

**** Apple Missing Golden .Mac Opportunity <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9947621-37.html>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Grocery stores sell basic items like tuna fish and bread at razor-thin margins, because they know people are likely to pick up a few other things while they're at the market for the basics. Apple has an opportunity to do the same thing with .Mac, and it won't have to give away the store to make it happen.

**** One-In-Ten iPlayer Users Are On Mac <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21404>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Logic Pro Updated With Over 100 FIxes <http://www.macworld.com/article/133549/2008/05/logic.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Review: Modbook Mac-Based Tablet Shows Promise, But Limited Appeal <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9086779&source=rss_topic123>
by Ken Mingis, Computerworld
Although the Modbook is undoubtedly a cool concept, the reality for day-to-day use makes it a device aimed at a few narrow niche markets.

**** Steve Jobs: "Design Is How It Works." <http://www.unpressablebuttons.com/2008/05/steve-jobs-design-is-how-it-works.html>
by Dave Gustafson, Unpressable Buttons

**** Phishers Point Scam At iTunes Users <http://www.macworld.com/article/133548/2008/05/itunes_phishing.html>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Phishers have targeted users of Apple's iTunes music store with sophisticated identity theft attacks for the first time, a security company said Tuesday.

**** 5 Realms Of Cards <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=955>
by Michael Yanovich, Inside Mac Games
5 Realms of Cards is a decent enough casual card game, but it didn't excite me and won't have me coming back for more now that the review is done.

**** Apple Under Pressure To Fix Safari 'Carpet Bomb' Flaw <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1136>
by Ryan Naraine, ZDNet.com

**** Apple Vs. Netflix: How Do They Stack Up? <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/05/20/apple-vs-netflix-how-do-they-stack-up/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

**** TextExpander 2.2 Adds CSS Snippets, Dictate Support <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/05/20.1.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer

**** iPhone 3G Launch Date Confirmed <http://gizmodo.com/391960/iphone-3g-launch-date-confirmed>
by Gizmodo
Someone very, very close to the 3G iPhone launch has told me that Apple will announce their new model at the WWDC Keynote on June 9th. The second-generation iPhone will be available worldwide right after the launch.

**** SheepShaver Brings Classic Mac OS To Intel Macs And Leopard <http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/08m2w/sheepshaver-for-mac-os-x.html>
by Alan Zisman, Low End Mac

**** Analyst: 1 In 4 Postponing iPhone Buy For New Tech <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/20/1.4.holding.for.new.iphone/>
by MacNN
Almost a quarter of Americans currently interested in buying an iPhone are waiting on an annoncement, according to a research director from ChangeWave.

**** PosteRazor 1.5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133539/2008/05/posterazor.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** The End Of The World <http://www.macworld.com/article/133415/2008/05/spotlight2506.html>
by John Moltz, Macworld
Apparently some of you think that Apple's about to go out of business; that its very existence is threatened; that fire, plague, and pestilence lie just around the corner for our favorite fruit-themed computer and consumer-electronics company. To which I say: What fight are you watching?

**** $100 Laptop Gets Redesigned <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20804/>
by David Talbot, MIT Technology Review

**** Google Offers Personal Health Records On The Web <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/technology/20google.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times

**** Why The Roku Netflix Player Is The First Shot Of The Revolution <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/why-the-roku-netflix-player-is-the-first-shot-of-the-revolution/?ref=technology>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times
The Netflix player contains most of the interface ideas and technology needed to revolutionize how we get television in our house.

**** The Affairs Of Men <http://nymag.com/relationships/sex/47055/>
by Philip Weiss, New York Magazine
The trouble with sex and marriage.

**** Top Cat: How 'Hello Kitty' Conquered The World <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/top-cat-how-hello-kitty-conquered-the-world-831522.html>
by Esther Walker, The Independent
The little half-Japanese, half-English cat has become so globally recognisable that it is, perhaps, inevitable that the Japanese board of tourism has appointed her their official tourism ambassador to China and Hong Kong.

**** June 5, 1968: The Last Hours Of RFK <http://nymag.com/news/politics/47041/>
by Pete Hamill, New York Magazine
A rememberance of that awful night&mdash;and a brief, powerful friendship.

**** SDP Chief, Supporter Guilty Of Speaking In Public Without Permit <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/STIStory_239647.html>
by Keith Lin, Straits Times
Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan and party supporter Yap Keng Ho were found guilty on Wednesday of speaking in public without a permit in the run-up to the 2006 general election.

**** 4 Possible Outcomes When ICJ Delivers Decision On Pedra Branca On Friday <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/349176/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's Agent to the Court, Professor Tommy Koh said, "being a natural born optimist, I am optimistic but I am not arrogant or presumptuous because the court could decide in any one of the four ways. I hope no matter what the outcome is, that both sides will take inspiration from this process and will see this as a possible precedent which could be used to settle bilateral disputes."

**** Singapore Probes Political Film On Lee Kuan Yew <http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-33686020080521>
by Reuters
Singapore's media regulator is investigating the screening of a political film that an opposition party said critically examines the city-state's first prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew. The film, "One Nation Under Lee", was made by a group of political activists and looks at the rise of Lee and his relationship with the media, Chee Siok Chin, a senior member of the opposition Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), told Reuters.

**** 6-Months Trial To Allow Foldable Bicycles On Trains, Buses <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_239557.html>
by Ian Lim, Straits Times

**** Where Has The Voices Gone? <http://themaxima.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/where-has-the-voices-gone/>
by The Maxima

**** Loosen Up A Little, PAP <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/loosen-up-a-little-pap.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
I disagree with many of the methods employed by the SDP but the act of seizing a film screened for a small group of people isn't going to make me like the PAP. The Worker's Party suddenly seem like a nice in-between.

**** Cringeworthy Moments Of The Finals Of Miss Singapore Universe <http://nadnut.liquidblade.com/?p=2008>
by Nadelicious Till De Very Last Drop!

**** Racist Bloggers: Then &amp; Now (Why It Affects Me) <http://mhisham.org/?p=33>
by Movign Higher In Souped-Up Heeeuristically Agon Moment

**** Singapore Government's (MINDEF) Policies To Tackle Peak Oil <http://sgentropy.blogspot.com/2008/05/singapore-governments-mindef-policies.html>
by Singapore Peak Oil: Energy, Entropy, Economics, Ecology

**** Dr M's Pleasure: Souring Bilateral Ties <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_239456.html>
by Jeffrey Law, Straits Times

**** Abused Pictures <http://pkchukiss.sgblogging.com/2008/05/20/abused-pictures/>
by Pkchukiss
My guess is that the designer was probably in a hurry and simply dumped the first image he found in the clip art gallery.

**** It Will Be A Cold Day In Singapore... <http://nttup.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/it-will-be-a-cold-day-in-singapore/>
by NTT's Core Dump 2.0....
I liked the idea for its freshness and its tongue-in-cheek artistic sense. I mean after all it is a kind of performance art, but something different.

**** Art And Soul: Powerful And Powerless Art In Singapore <http://www.envplan.com/epa/fulltext/aforth/a39240.pdf>
by T C Chang, Environment And Planning A
The power and powerlessness of public art in Singapore are not unlike those encountered in other cities where artful planning has taken centre stage in contemporary urban redevelopment. (Note: PDF document.)

**** Gone In 11 Minutes Flat <http://www.newsweek.com/id/137470>
by William J. Dobson, Newsweek
As much as the government is trying to spin the prison break as a cautionary tale, the episode is revealing shortcomings in Singapore's nanny state. Singapore does an excellent job mobilizing its resources and directing them at recognized problems, a Western diplomat said. But there are few external or independent checks on the system &mdash; and this lack of scrutiny, combined with the government's generally successful record, has produced serious blind spots.

**** Link Pay Of Leaders To Happiness Index <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/05/the-performance-and-pay-of-leaders/>
by Tan Kin Lian, The Online Citizen
The key performance indicator of a government should go beyond economic growth.
/Personally, I'd rather not have the pay of ministers linked to any indices. I would like to have the prime minister go to the parliament and the people regularly to justify why he is paying how much to his cabinet./

**** Arrested For Racist Blog <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/254962.asp>
by Today
Police have arrested a 24-year-old man for posting contents in his blog that could "wound the racial feelings of another', according to their statement.