[MyAppleMenu] May 16, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 16 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple Dismisses Safari Vulnerability Claims <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39418757,00.htm>
by Elinor Mills, CNET News.com
"Please note that we ar enot treating this as a securty issue, but a further measure to raise the bar against unwanted downloads," the Apple representative wrote in an email.

**** iPhone Expands Its Empire, Once Again <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9945784-7.html>
by Natalie Weinstein, CNET News.com
Orange, France Telecom's mobile provider, will whisk the iPhone ito at least 10 more European, Middle Eastern, and African countries.

**** Review: TapeDeck 1.0 <http://cultofmac.com/review-tapedeck-10/2000>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac
Where TapeDeck excels is in making the audio-recording process totally idiot-proof and fun.

**** Using Apple TV As A Sales Tool <http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1386483/using_appletv_as_a_sales_tool/>
by Joe McManus, redOrbit

**** AT&amp;T Reverses Course On iPhone Sales Limit <http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207800417>
by Antone Gonsalves, InformationWeek
After only one day with a limit of one iPhone per customer, AT&amp;T, the exclusive iPhone seller outside of Apple in the United States, said Thursday the restriction has ended.

**** Anatomy Of A Rumor: The Atom-Powered Newton iPhone <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/05/15/anatomy-of-a-rumor-the-atom-powered-newton-iphone/?source=yahoo_quote>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

**** Why Telstra Can't Afford To Offer The iPhone <http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/fullduplex/soa/Why-Telstra-can-t-afford-to-offer-the-iPhone-/0,139033349,339288958,00.htm>
by David Braue, ZDNet Australia
It's hard to imagine Telstra kowtowing to Apple by entering into a partnership that would devalue its own investments in content.

**** Top 10 Things You Forgot Your Mac Can Do <http://lifehacker.com/390226/top-10-things-you-forgot-your-mac-can-do>
by Lifehacker

>From pure eye candy to outright productivity-boosters, read on to get reminded of some of the more obscure things you can do with your Mac, fresh out of the box.

**** First Look: Cyberduck 3 Is A Great, Free FTP Client For Mac <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/05/15/first-look-cyberduck-3-is-a-great-free-ftp-client-for-mac>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

**** Review: Pixelmator 1.2 <http://cultofmac.com/review-pixelmator-12/1998>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac
Photoshop Elements 6 is only 20 bucks more than Pixelmator when grabbed from Amazon, and, when the current state of both applications is considered, Adobe's effort is about 20 times better.

**** Apple's Boylston Street Store: Before And After <http://cultofmac.com/apples-boylston-street-store-before-and-after/1996>
by Cult Of Mac

**** For Google, iPhone Remains A Key Platform <http://www.macworld.com/article/133434/2008/05/google_iphone.html>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
The way Google's vice president of engineering Vic Gundotra sees it, the entire mobile industry stands to benefit from what Apple has done with the iPhone.

**** Google's Mac Efforts Begin To Bear Fruit <http://www.macworld.com/article/133436/2008/05/google_mac.html>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
Web giant's company culture critical to stepped-up Mac development.

**** Singapore Airlines Offers iPod, iPhone Integration <http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/05/15/ipods.on.singapore.air/>
by iPodNN
iPods and iPhones are now supported on some flights out of the US, Sinapore Airlines has announced.

**** Network 2.0 <http://www.slate.com/id/2191526/?from=rss>
by James Ledbetter, Slate
CBS's purchase of Cnet is pricey and tricky, but it might just work.

**** The Future Of Reading <http://www.cjr.org/cover_story/the_future_of_reading.php?page=all>
by Ezra Klein, Columbia Journalism Review
So I consulted my conscience, which is as much gadget-head as bookworm, and quickly came to a decision: I would simultaneously support reading /and/ the introduction of expensive new electronic devices by buying a Kindle and proudly toting it around town for a month. That would give me time to determine whether this really was the future of reading, or whether the nation remained threatened by grave and unnamed consequences.

**** Singapore-KL Shuttle Deal Ends In June But Frequency Of Flights Unchanged <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/348242/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

**** National Wages Council (NWC) Guidelines For 2008/2009 <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20080516992.pdf>
by Singapore Government
(Note: PDF document.)
See Also: Government Accepts National Wages Council's Guidelines For 2008/2009 <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20080516991.pdf>, by Singapore Government. (Note: PDF document.)

**** Sometimes Only A Mac Will Do <http://londonlanka.blogspot.com/2008/05/sometimes-only-mac-will-do.html>
by London, Lanka And Drums
In Orchard Road, in Singapore where I coul dhave got almost anything I wanted to eat within a short walk I headed for the easy win, the quick get back on the first rung of the ladder place.

**** Real Wages Growth Outpaced Productivity In 2007 For 2Nd Straight Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/348120/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Growth in Singapore's real basic wages last year outpaced productivity for the second consecutive year. That is the conclusion of the tripartite National Wages Council (NWC).

**** Sydney Campus Finds Potential Conflict Of Interest In The UNSW Campus Project In Singapore <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2008/05/sydney-campus-finds-potential-conflict.html>
by Urbanrant
If the EDB is found to be lacking in its process when reviewing investments and granting incentives to foreigners, Singaporeans would want the EDB to tighten its process.

**** WP Candidate Publicized On His Blgo That He Voted For PAP, Draws Flak On The Internet. My Personal Take. <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=201>
by Sgpolitics.net

**** Chef Chan's Restaurant @ National Museum Of Singapore <http://www.hisfoodblog.com/2008/05/chef-chans-restaurant-national-museum.html>
by His Food Blog
For such a price and /Straits Times/ claiming that it deserved at least one Michelin star, expectations were high and I expected more. However, only the roast chicken made it for me that night, that one is definitely better off having the rest of the dishes at some tze char stall elsewhere.

**** Unpacking Yaw Shin Leong's Choice - Treading The Collaboration Line <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/unpacking-yaw-shin-leongs-choice-treading-the-colloboration-line/>
by The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist

**** NWC Recommends Special One-Off Payment For Workers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/348116/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
The National Wage Council (NWC) has asked for a one-off payment to low-wage workers to help them cope with the impact of higher inflation.

**** Rais: Verdict Over Pualu Batu Puteh Will Be In Our Favour <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/National/2241797/Article/index_html>
by New Straits Times
Asked about Singapore deputy prime minister Prof S. Jayakumar's statement on Singapore winning the case, foreigner minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim said that the republic might feel they too had submitted strong evidence. "We cannot stop them from expressing their confidence."

**** The Anorexic State <http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2008/05/the-anorexic-state/>
by The Online Citizen

**** Leadership Lessons From A Sub-Contractor <http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2008/05/leadership-lessons-from-a-sub-contractor/>
by Lim Chih Yang, The Onlien Citizen

**** Lawyers For PM, MM Apply For Summary Judgment <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/254134.asp>
by Ansley Ng, Today
Lawyers for the Far Eastern Economic Review (Feer) will present their case in court today, to fight off an application for a summary judgment made by lawyers for prime minister Lee Hisen Loong and minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew.

**** 16, 18, 21 - What's Behind An Age? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/254167.asp>
by Derrick A Paulo, Today
There are questions to be answered before we even start considering what the voting age should be. Above all, are we doing enough in our schools to prepare our youth to make all-important political judgments?
/To me, things are quite clear. Youths, in general, tend to be liberal. The existing government is more conservative than liberal. Why, then, will the government want to lower the voting age to get in more voters that, likely, will not vote for the current government?/