[MyAppleMenu] May 14, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 14 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Zip. Nada.
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
The Day There Was No News <http://www.flickr.com/photos/arbernaut/2476955162/>.

**** SwisscomTo Launch Apple's iPhone In Switzerland <http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&articleid=6709649&subject=companies&action=article>
by Thomson Financial News

**** One Thing About Apple <http://www.backupbrain.com/2008_05_11_archive.html#a005157>
by Dori Smith, Backup Brain
Does buying Adobe's applications help Apple sell more hardware? Nope? Then it ain't gonna happen.

**** Leopard Tamers: 9 Terrific Interface Tweaks <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9084398&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
With a host of new tools and add-ons available, changing the look and feel of Mac OS X 'Leopard' is easy.

**** It's Quiet, It's Green, It's The Rack O' My Dreams <http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/05/ahead_of_the_cu_3.html>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld

**** Why Apple Won't Buy Adobe <http://daringfireball.net/2008/05/why_apple_wont_buy_adobe>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Adobe is a good company with good products, but they don't fit into Apple's focus at all.

**** Kiwi Airliners Converted Into Giant iPod Docks <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/13/airliners_become_ipod_docks/>
by Lewis Page, The Register
Air New Zealand will equip eighteen of its airliners with in-flight entertainment rigs allowing iPod users to play their video on seatback screens, listen to audio through the aircraft system, and control their device via the plane's interface.

**** The MS Office 2008 For Mac Scandal Continues <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1734>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet.com

**** iTunes Show Innovation Is About Imagination, Not Dollars <http://wistechnology.com/articles/4743/>
by Tom Koulopulos, Wisconsin Technology Network
The greatest innovators today aren't product innovators, they're companies and people who build new business models.
/Of couse, regardless whatever business model you have, your product must also be good./

**** OS X Security: How I Became A Spam Kingpin, Went Legit And Turned Detective <http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2008/05/os_x_security_h.html>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld

**** Saying Hello (Again) To Visual Basic <http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2008/05/13/saying-hello-again-to-visual-basic/>
by Erik Schwiebert, Schwieb
When we came to the realization in 2006 that there was no way for us to keep VB in the product and still ship Office 2008 on any semblance of the schedule we wanted, we announced its removal, but kept looking at how to bring it back into the suite even before we shipped.

**** Boston's New Apple Store Unveiled <http://cultofmac.com/bostons-new-apple-store-unveiled/1992>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
"They were pulling down the green monster covering."

**** OS X Security: Diary Of An OS X Leopard Server Root Exploit <http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2008/05/os_x_security_d.html>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld

**** Apple Deal Links Custom Radio Storefronts To iTunes <http://www.macworld.com/article/133432/2008/05/radio.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple has entered into an agreement with Emmis Interactive that will give radio listeners in the U.S. the ability to buy the songs they hear on the air using their iTunes account.

**** EarthLink Notifies Philly Subscribers Of Network Shutdown <http://www.muniwireless.com/2008/05/13/earthlink-notifies-philly-subscribers-of-network-shutdown/>
by MuniWireless

**** Google Search To Surpass Size Of Microsoft Windows In 2009 <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/google_to_surpass_size_of_microsoft_windows_in_2009>
by Henry Blodget, Silicon Alley Insider
Why is Microsoft so concerned about Google? Lots of reasons, one of which is this: By this time next year, Google's search business will be larger and more profitable than the most profitable and legendary monopoly in history&mdash;Microsoft Windows.

**** Solitaire-y Confinement <http://www.slate.com/id/2191295/?from=rss>
by Josh Levin, Slate
Why we can't stop playing a cmputerized card game.

**** Cookbook Publishers Try To Think Small <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/14/dining/14kids.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Kim Severson, New York Times
At a time when 2-year-olds take cooking classes, trick-or-treaters turn up in chef's whites and a personalized child's size spatula costs $20, it is no surprise that the children's cookbook genre is enjoying a new life. Not that it had much of a life before.

**** For Meat-Eating Authors, A More Tender Approach <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/13/AR2008051300581.html?nav=rss_artsandliving/foodanddining>
by Jane Black, Washington Post
Pained by her failure, Susan Bourette decided to come to terms with her carnivorous ways. If she could understand why she craved meat, she reasoned, perhaps she would get over the guilt of enjoying it. Her new book, "Meat: A Love Story" chronicles Bourette's travels, from a New York butcher shop to an Inuit whale hunt, to discover the roots of humans' love affair with meat &mdash; the average American eats 220 pounds of it annually &mdash; and to decide how to conduct that affair responsibly.

**** An Industry Gets Animated <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121072218051290007.html?mod=rss_Books>
by Paul Boutin, Wall Street Journal
Redemption, after all, is essential to any story well told.

**** The Mysteries Of The Suicide Tourist <http://nymag.com/news/features/46811/>
by Phil Zabriskie, New York Magazine
Why the same things that attract millions of happy visitors to New York&mdash;the glamour, the skyline, the anonymity&mdash;also draw people from around the world to kill themselves here.

**** Five Magistrates Appointed To Preside Over New Neighbourhood Court <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/347729/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Unlocked 3G iPhone Coming To Three Singaporean Operators By Christmas? <http://www.unwiredview.com/2008/05/13/unlocked-3g-iphone-coming-to-all-three-singaporean-operators-christmas/>
by UnwiredView.com
A recent comment from a StarHub spokesperson in Singapore indicates that the iPhone could arrive but not on an exclusive deal with any of the telcos.

**** Abdullah Meets Singapore DPM For Talks On Issues Of Mutual Concern <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=332909>
by Bernama

**** Seventy-Seven Days Of Nothing <http://aidilomar.com/2008/05/14/seventy-seven-days-of-nothing/>
by Sheep City
77 days of unsuccessful recapture, 77 days of excuses and 77 days of failure.

**** More Reasons For Leaving Singapore <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/more-reasons-for-leaving-singapore.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
Many of us never had the opportunity to choose our leaders before... maybe even for the rest of our lives we will continue to see 'walkovers' in our own constituencies. However, we can choose to leave for somewhere else, where citizens are treated with more respect, somewhere where the political scene is healthier, where the grass is greener.

**** Reducing Commuting Time - National Effort Needed <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/05/14/reducing-commuting-time-national-effort-needed/>
by Tan Kin Lian, theonlinecitizen
We need a coordinated national effort to implement the "work from home" or "work near home" idea.

**** Racial Politics And Brain Drain <http://hsudarren.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/racial-politics-and-brain-drain/>
by Hsu Dar Ren
It is the sense of being wanted and being appreciated that make these people stay overseas.

**** Chances Are That Illegal Hawker Is A Foreigner <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_237065.html>
by Lim Heng Liang, Straits Times
Foreigners are hawking food in ever increasing numbers at places where crowds throng, such as outside MRT stations and temples. The National Environment Agency said that so far this year, 800 illegal hawkers have been caught, and 650 of them were from China, Bangladesh, Mongolia, India and Indonesia.

**** Queenstown <http://mandrake.liquidblade.com/archives/2008/05/13/queentown/>
by Green W
Tah Chung Emporium - one of those department stores that any person living in Queenstown would remember.
/My memories of Queenstown include the public library, where an old librarian will walk around and telling people to "shhh!", and the dim sum restaruant on the third floor which was narrow and crowded./

**** Singapore Sports Council: Chicken &amp; Egg Edition <http://tomism.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/singapore-sports-council-chicken-egg-edition/>
by The Tom!

**** Singapore: An Emerging Destination For Indian Students <http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?autono=322928&leftnm=6&subLeft=0&chkFlg=>
by Kaustubh Kulkarni, Business Standard
Singapore is trying to position itself as the destination of choice for Indian students. The country wants Indian students to enrol in its institutes, from the higher secondary or the junior college level onwards.

**** Telco Sector In Singapore Poised For Greater Competition <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/347520/1/.html>
by Aaron Khoo, Channel NewsAsia
Industry watchers said the telco sector is poised for greater competition, following SingTel's announcement that it has signed an agreement to bring the iPhone into Singapore.
They said the timing is crucial as mobile number portability is set to kick in next month, allowing subscribers to keep their numbers even when switching service operators.