[MyAppleMenu] May 10, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 10 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Elements For Mac Is The Picture Of Simplicity <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004404672_ptmacc10.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

**** Apple MacBook Air User Review <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4402>
by NotebookReview.com

**** All USB Ports Aren't Created Equal <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1717>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet.com
It seems that only the front USB port on the MacBook offers a full powered, full speed bus.
/This seems to explain why my USB hard drive can only operate from one of the two USB ports on my MacBook.

**** The Real Upgrade Apple Should Make To .Mac: Set It Free <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/the_real_upgrade_apple_should_make_to_mac_set_it_free>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider
With .Mac and the iPhone, Steve Jobs has a chance to get people even more tied in to Apple servics. Which is what Apple is all about. But until .Mac is free &mdash; at least the mainstream stuff like email, calendar synching, photo galleries, etc. &mdash; we think it will continue to be a small, niche service at best.

**** TapeDeck Audio Recorder Debuts <http://www.macworld.com/article/133395/2008/05/tapedeck.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
TapeDeck carries with it some retro charm &mdash; it's designed to look like a cassette tape deck, and even operates like one. It's designed to quickly capture recordings, stored as "tapes," recorded directly to MP4-AAC audio.

**** Apple Settles Two Canadian iPod Lawsuits <http://www.macworld.com/article/133386/2008/05/lawsuitcanada.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** AppMenuBoy Returns Hierarchical Menus To Leopard <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/09/appmenuboy.10.released/>
by MacNN

**** Quay 1.1 Extends Leopard Dock <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/09/quay.11.update/>
by MacNN

**** Google Cofirms Plans To Put Display Ads On Google.com <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/google_confirms_plans_to_put_display_ads_on_google_com>
by Henry Blodget, Silicon Alley Insider

**** Poetry And Our Age: Adam Kirsch's 'Invasions' <http://www.nysun.com/arts/poetry-and-our-age>
by Wes Davis, New York Sun
Rene Wellek once warned that "the union of poet and critic is not necessarily good for either poetry or criticism." But Adam Kirsch's career suggests that it can be very good for both.

**** At The Bar With The Hate Camel <http://www.thedrawbridge.org.uk/issue_9/at_the_bar_with_the_hate_camel/>
by Shalom Auslander, TheDrawbridge
Anger literature beats the shit out of love literature.

**** Little Girl Lost, Little Girl Found <http://www.salon.com/mwt/excerpt/2008/05/10/ann_hood/index.html>
by Ann Hood, Salon
I never thought I'd be able to enjoy Mother's Day again. Then, life brought me Annabelle.

**** Broadcasting Gay Content: Singapore Vs. HK <http://magnezium.blogspot.com/2008/05/broadcasting-gay-content-spore-vs-hk.html>
by Musings
Should Channel 5 have challenged MDA's fine in court?

**** Films That You Won't See In Your National Education Classes <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/05/films-that-you-wont-see-in-your.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

**** You Serious? <http://iantan.org/?p=905>
by Ian Tan, Empty Vesel
It's basically a rewritten version of an old official response, but it's positioned in a way that pushes all the wrong buttons in our battered Singaporean male psyche.

**** Lee Kuan Yew Wrong Again! This TIme, It's Oil. <http://utwt.blogspot.com/2008/05/lee-kuan-yew-wrong-again-this-time-its.html>
by Under The Willow Tree
Not only are the industry's most respected analysts holding diametric opinions to you, the world's most respected investors have also made the opposite investment decisions compared to you.

**** City-State A Role Model For The World <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/10/focus/21193771&sec=focus>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
Despite a growing disenchantment at home, tiny Singapore has attracted scattered admiration in countries keen to follow its way of solving problems.
Those involve mostly economic and management systems that were well crafted and implemented by a purposeful and hard-working population &mdash; rather than its form of politics.

**** Shark's Fin: Singapore Takes A Much Bigger Bite <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_235807.html>
by Jermyn Chow, Straits Times
After four years of decline, the consumption of shark's fin spiked last year, with more than 470 tonnes eaten despite pleas from environmental groups for consumers to cut down.
See Also: The Brutal Business Of Shark Finning <http://www.seashepherd.org/longline/longline_shark_finning.html>, by Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

**** Broken Promises Part II: HIV Positive Man Prosecuted For S377A (SIngapore) <http://blog.sayoni.com/2008/05/10/hivman377a/>
by Sayoni Speak

**** Singapore Culture Etc. Whatever <http://kiapura.blogspot.com/2008/05/singapore-culture-etc-whatever.html>
by Kiapura
At least they get the food right. Damn do they get ghe food right.

**** Starting A Party, And Hoping To Crash Singapore's Parliament Again <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/world/asia/10jeya.html?_r=1&ref=world&oref=slogin>
by Seth Mydans, New York Times
It miht seem late for a fresh start, but that is the story of J. B. Jeyaretnam's life, a political intruder who refuses to stay away.
Last month he was back again after six years of political banishment, the grand old man of political opposition ready to joust again with Singapore's immovable political establishment.