[MyAppleMenu] Jan 30, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 30 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Apple: The Most Hated Company On The Internet <http://informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/01/apple_the_most.html>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek
Finding out that Apple is most hated /and/ well-liked seems contradictor, at first. But in fact, Apple is a company that inspires strong feelings. People either love it or hate it, very few people just shrug and say, /"meh."/

**** Apple's iPhone Elixir: Cut Prices <http://www.thestreet.com/s/apples-iphone-solution-cut-prices/newsanalysis/techstockupdate/10401041.html?puc=googlefi>
by Priya Ganapati, TheStreet.com
Apple CEO Steve Jobs will need to work some magic to hit his sales target of 10 million iPhones this year.
To reach the 10 million mark, Apple needs to average 2.5 million phones in sales a quarter over the next quarters &mdash; or 200,000 more than what it sold during the big holiday season.
/Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Steve Jobs promised 10 million iPhones sold by the end of 2008, and not 10 million iPhones sold in 2008. Apple has already sold 4 million, and I don't think it will have any problem selling 6 million for this year./

**** Jade Image Processing App Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/131866/2008/01/jade.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
DataMind has announced the release of Jade 1.0, a new digital image processing application for Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard."

**** Where Are Those Million iPhones? Everywhere. <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/where-are-those-million-iphones-everywhere/index.html?ex=1359349200&en=55236179ed714948&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Damon Darlin, New York Times
They are all around the world, in many countries where Apple has not yet worked out deals with local carriers, indicating that these phones have been "unlocked."

**** iTunes And Large Libraries: Slow, Slow, Slow <http://www.mcelhearn.com/article.php?story=20080129103804465>
by Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** Removable Batteries Rule &mdash; That Means You, Apple <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9060000>
by Craig J. Mathias, Computerworld

**** Electric Rain's Swift 3D For OS X <http://oceania.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=292823>
by Kevin McAuliffe, Oceania
With all the new features included in Swift 3D, the ease of use, and very quick learning curve, I think that $249 is an extremely good price for this great program.

**** Netfinder 3.0 Gets New Undo, Label Features <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/29/netfinder.30/>
by MacNN
Ortabe has released NetFinder 3.0, a significant update to the company's file management and automation tool for remote servers and local files.

**** Missing iPhones Not Really Missing, Says Analyst <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141951-c,iphone/article.html>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Calculations that claim Apple Inc. is "missing" 1.4 million iPhones may be missing the point, according to an analyst, who said Monday that talk of uncounted phones overlooks the fact that the mobile market is only a small part of Apple's overall business.

**** Apple Updates Numbers, Pages And Keynote <http://www.macworld.com/article/131860/2008/01/iwork.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** MacBook Air Shipping Notifications Go Out To Customers <http://www.macworld.com/article/131861/2008/01/macbookair.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Versioning, Compatibility And Standards <http://webkit.org/blog/155/versioning-compatibility-and-standards/>
by Maciej Stachowiak, Surfin' Safari
We don't see a great need to implement version trageting in Safari. We think maintaining multiple versions of the engine owuld have many downsides for us and little upside.

**** Back Up Multiple Computers With Time Machine <http://www.macworld.com/article/131841/2008/01/multiplebackup.html>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld

**** Fairy Treasure <http://www.macworld.com/article/131835/2008/01/fairytreasure.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Fairy Treasure is a good example of what brickbashing games have evolved ino in the 21st century.

**** Jedit X <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/jedit-x.html>
by Rick Curran, MacNN

**** Why You Can't Rent Movies For Older iPod Models <http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/01/why-you-cant-re.html>
by Eliot Van Buskirk, Wired

**** Rumor: Application Key For The iPhone Leaked <http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/01/rumor-applicati.html>
by Michael Calore, Wired
Hackers have reportedly discovered the key which allows the installation of applications on the iPhone using iTunes.

**** Has Apple Flubbed With The MacBook Air? <http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080129/BLOG01/80129018/0/BUSINESS>
by Mike Wendland, Detroit Free Press
Apple is being unusually stingy about providing review units, even though they will be on display and available for sle today or tomorrow at Apple stores. That tells me they don't like what they've been hearing from the few big publication reviewers they have sent it to and now want to minimize damage.

**** Slashdot Founder Questions Crowd's Wisdom <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/slashdot-founder-questions-crowds-wisdom/index.html?ex=1359349200&en=6a68f499c975d50d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Brad Stone, New York Times

**** Yahoo To Lay Off 1,000, Q4 Profit Drops <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9860558-7.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Elinor Mills, CNET News.com

**** Farewell, Bill. Yo, Ballmer, Now It's Your Turn! <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=283>
by Robin Harris, ZDNet.com
Steve Ballmer may be the worst CEO among large tech companies. Put him in a room with Steve Jobs of Apple, John Chambers of Cisco and Mark Hurd of HP and he'd look like the bouncer, not a peer. He just isn't in their league and Microsoft is suffering for it.

**** As Ads Arrive On Cell Phones, Privacy Concerns Grow With Targeting Opportunities <http://www.technologyreview.com/Wire/20127/>
by Associated Press

**** Endnotes <http://books.guardian.co.uk/originalfiction/story/0,,2248331,00.html>
by Gregory Norminton, Guardian

**** Can The Novella Save Literature? <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/01/can_the_novella_save_literatur.html>
by Jean Hannah Edelstein, Guardian
They're no less artful than full-length books, but they need less of your time. The perfect form for today's lifestyles.

**** It All Started With A Squirrel <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/29/AR2008012900744.html?wpisrc=_rssartsandliving/foodanddining>
by Bonny Wolf, Washington Post
I think I actually have eaten squirrel. It was not intentional.

**** Oysters, Beyond Raw <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-calcook30jan30,1,7713837.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true>
by Russ Parsons, Los Angeles Times
Why would anyone cook a perfectly good oyster? It's simple &mdash; there's no arguing with delicious.

**** In What City Did You Honeymoon? <http://www.slate.com/id/2183030/fr/rss/>
by Josh Levin, Slate
And other monstrously stupid bank security questions.

**** Chinese New Year Exodus Exposes Singapore Generation Gap <http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKARM03994420080130>
by Melissa Chia, Reuters

**** ComfortDelgro To Pass On 15% Road Tax Cut To Cabbies <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/325841/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Suddenly, The Singapore Media Discovers That Gays Are Human Beings After All <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/01/suddenly-singapore-media-discovers-that.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Well, yes, the Dark Ages still prevail in Singapore. However, most other developed countries moved on long ago. They already discovered that gays are human beings too, you see.

**** Land Transport Review Part 3: Private Transport (Car) <http://sgtransport.blogspot.com/2008/01/land-transport-review-part-3-private.html>
by Daniel Chin, Singapore's Land Tansport
Though the North-South Expressway is welcomed, I foresee a fierce fight put up by people who are supportive of environment causes. Why? The expressways will most likely cut through part of hte nature reserves and the fringe of hte reservoirs.

**** Indonesian Poor Happier <http://incr.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/indonesian-poor-happier/>
by Indonesian Network For Crisis And Reform
For those who has lived in the Indonesian villages, you will realise that the Indonesian poor are much happier than the poor Singaporean.

**** Travel And Glamour, Part 2 <http://blog.ksaugustin.com/2008/01/30/travel-and-glamour-part-2/>
by Fusion Despatches

**** Technopreneurship In Singapore - A Commentary <http://watchingsg.blogspot.com/2008/01/technopreneurship-in-singapore.html>
by Watching The Singapore Economy

**** Singapore's GIC Says Able To Bail Out Another Bank: Newspaper <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_GCJBkesd6KurNtHlhQy3oX4JfA>
by AFP
The Government of Signapore Investment Corporation (GIC), fresh from multi-billion-dollar capital injections into troubled global financial institutions, has the capacity for an additional bailout, a report said Wednesday.

**** Speech By Mr Raymond Lim, Minister For Transport, At Visit To kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway, 30 January 2008, 10.15 AM <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20080130996.htm>
by Singapore Government
Following LTA studies, the government has given the go-ahead to build the North-South Expressway or NSE by 2002 to cater to the projected growth in travel between the northern and city areas.
To shorten bus journey and waiting times, and reduce crowding, we will enhance the frequency of basic bus services.
Today, trunk buses are not allowed to run routes that are parallel to rail lines. However, LTA has reviewed and will relax this rule for the mature rail lines, namely the North-South and East-West lines, where ridership is high and the scoe for expanding rail capacity quickly is limited.
See Also:<br/>ERP Rates, More Gantries To Go Up - But Road Tax Cut By 15% <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_201665.html>, by Christopher Tan, Straits Times.

**** Means Testing Or Comprehensive Medical Insuracne? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/01/30/means-testing-or-comprehensive-medical-insurance/>
by Gerald Giam, theonlinecitizen
Singaoreans have been presented with the rationale for means testing, but not the numbers to back it up.

**** Copyright V Privacy: Compare And Contrast <http://shianux.jiyuuu.org/2008/01/30/copyright-v-privacy-compare-and-contrast/>
by The Legal Janitor

**** Time To Raise $8,000 Ceiling? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,154906,00.html?>
by Desmond Ng, New Paper
It's been 14 years since the HDB last raised its income ceiling for new flats from $7,000 to $8,000.

**** Tragic Start To School's First Swim Programme <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_201521.html>
by Tessa Wong and Carolyn Quek, Straits Times
For New Town Secondary, the drowning of Daniel Syawal Jailani, 12, was a terrible start to its swimming programme.

**** Prime Taxis To Raise Fares From March <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_201522.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
After holding out for over a month, Singapore's smallest cab operator, Prime Taxis, will raise its fares to come in line with other companies here.

**** Catch A Movie? $10.50, Please <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/234980.asp>
by Asif Ansar, Today
Prices for tickets at all Cathay cineplexes will go up tomorrow, adding to the rash of recent price increases including taxi fares, electronic road pricing and cooking gas.

**** 3 Out Of 4 Opt For The V-Bonus <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/234982.asp>
by Teo Xuanwei, Today
The government's decision to raise the draw-down age to 65 for the Central Provident Fund's (CPF) Minimum Sum drew a chorus of opposing voices when it was announced last Ausut, but some 75 per cent of those eligible for monthly CPF payouts have now agreed to defer receiving the disbursements.

**** Odex Redux <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2008/01/odex-redux.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
Are there any safeguards or restrictions on the use or distribution of the information by the 5 Japanese studios?