[MyAppleMenu] Jan 24, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 24 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Apple Lowers iPhone Shipment Projections <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20240>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple has lowered its projected iPhone shipments for the current quarter, reducing component purchases from its Far East manufacturers, according to a report.
/This is goig to make it harder for Apple to negotiate iPhone contracts with Asian telcos./

**** Are Those Macs I See? <http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1491>
by Christopher Dawson, ZDNet.com

**** Apple's New Strategy Thin On Logic <http://www.thegatewayonline.ca/apple-s-new-strategy-thin-on-logic-20080124-1705.html>
by The Gateway
Go see a movie in a full theater now and then. Listen to music in a situation where you're not just trying block out other noises. Hell, if enough of us pay attention, the work the entertainment industry puts out may even end up sucking less.

**** Apple, Google Miss Out On Market Rally <http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-thu_tech_0124jan24,1,6463973.story>
by Bloomberg
The stock market staged a dramatic rally Wednesday to wind up in positive territory, but two technology titans failed to go along for the ride.

**** New Tools To Bolster Mac's World <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/24/technology/personaltech/24pogue.html?8dpc>
by David Pogue, New York Times
A virtuous cycle may soon kick in: More Mac sales lead to more software titles, which lead to more Mac sales, which lead to &mdash; well, you get it.

**** The Truth About The iPhone's Sales Numbers <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080123-the-truth-about-the-iphones-sales-numbers.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Are Investors Unfairly Sour On Apple? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc20080122_786382.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
There are signs that Apple can not only weather an economic contraction but emerge stronger than ever. Most important is the strength of its Mac business.

**** Apple's MacBook Air Is Beautiful And Thin, But Omits Features <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080124/apples-macbook-air-is-beautiful-and-thin-but-omits-features/>
by Walter S. Mossberg, AllThingsD
If you value thinness, and a large screen and keyboard in a subnotebook, and don't watch DVDs on planes or require spare batteries, the MacBook Air might be just the ticket. But if you rely on spare batteries, expect the usual array of ports, or like to play DVDs on planes, this isn't the computer to buy.

**** Hey Apple, Don't Make Me Think <http://powazek.com/posts/880>
by Derek Powazek
I know it sonds like a small difference, but small differences add up.
/And, as far as I know, there is no reason why the Safari's toolbar buttons on the Mac and on the iPhone needs to be different./

**** Will Apple Turn Tech Stocks Sour? <http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/01/23/will-apple-turn-tech-stocks-sour/>
by Jon Fortt, Fortune
Appel repoted earnings that beat analyst estimates on strong sales of iMacs, laptops and iPhones. But its cautious outlook led investors to slam the stock Wednesday morning, and take much of the Nasdaq down with it.
Why?

**** Video Pros: Don't Install That QuickTime 7.4 Update Yet! <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/23/video-pros-dont-install-that-quicktime-7-4-update-yet>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
If you're an Adobe AfterEffects user, you may have bitten particularly hard by a new <strike>bug</strike> "feature" of QuickTime 7.4 which renders the video editing suite, well, useless.
/The standard advice of not installing new updates immediately is still a good solid piece of advice./

**** LogMeIn Offers Remote Mac Support <http://www.macworld.com/article/131772/2008/01/logmein.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Stacking Up The MacBook Air And A Sony Viao <http://www.macworld.com/article/131768/2008/01/mbavssony.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
As the specs show, I think both manufacturers achieved their design goals&mdash;the MacBook Air is all about thinness and screen szie, and the Sony is loaded with every feature one could possibly need, all packed into a very small box.

**** iPod Touch Software Upgrade Woes <http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/hktechphooey/post.htm?id=63001872>
by Victor Cheung, CNET Asia
The software upgrade could be obtaine donly via the iTunes store and, at present, there aren't any (iTunes store, that is) in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and Mainland China. That means there are /no/ software upgrades for those in the above-mentioned countries. Brilliant, isn't it.**

**** Harnessing The Power Of P2P <http://www.news.com/Harnessing-the-power-of-P2P/2100-1034_3-6227406.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com
Peer-to-peer technology has gotten a bad rap for years, but a grop of internet service providers led by Verizon Communications is working to harness the technology to reduce network traffic and speed up video downloads on the web.

**** Where GPS Won't Do, WiFi Triangulation Might <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080123-where-gps-wont-do-wifi-triangulation-might.html>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Bobby Fischer Read Here <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article01210802.aspx>
by Sara Blask, The Smart Set
At the Reykjavik bookstore where the chess great spent his final, hermit-like days.

**** The Tiger Woods Effect <http://www.slate.com/id/2182671/fr/rss/>
by Joel Waldfogel, Slate
When he's in the field, everyone else plays worse. How Tiger throws off golf's incentive structure.

**** RIghts Group Berates Singapore Air For Elephant Ad <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSSIN2577720080124>
by Reuters
An animal rights organisation criticised Singapore Airlines on Thursday for an advertisement using an elephant to sell flights.

**** Malaysia's Budget Carrier Sets Its Sights High <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1003&Itemid=32>
by Jed Yoong, Asia Sentinel
AirAsia is betting it can beat two of Asia's most established airlines on the lucrative Singapore-Malaysia route.

**** Singapore's Dual Threat: High Inflation, Downturn <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120111735387410667.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by John Jannarone, Wall Street Journal
Singapore's inflation hit a 25-year high in December, creating fresh pressure to tighten policy just as the island braces for an economic downturn.
Tuesday's surprise move by the U.S. Federal Reserve to cut the federal funds rate by 0.75 percentage point could further complicate matters for Singapore as the island's low interest rates fuel rising asset prices.

**** Temasek Confident Its Appeal Against KPPU's Ruling To Succed <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2008/1/23/temasek-confident-its-appeal-against-kppus-rulling-to-succed/>
by Antara News

**** Australian Plane Causes Singapore Airport Shutdown <http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/light-plane-shuts-singapore-airport/2008/01/24/1201025052034.html>
by DPA

**** Dear MM <http://organically.blogspot.com/2008/01/dear-mm.html>
by Lee Siew Peng, Organic-Ally
Can the Singapore economy continue to grow when we become bankrupt of the ability to be gracious to our neighbours, workers, customers, tourists, the elderly or our own family?
Can the democratic (or any other) process flourish when we are unable to entertain alternative views?

**** I Suppose One Last Car In Singapore <http://zhngmyneh.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/i-suppose-one-last-car-in-singapore/>
by The Wannabe Economist
It's funny how people can think that they own the entire damn road just because they pay road tax.

**** Are You Setting In To Singapore Well? <http://passagesintime.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/are-you-settling-in-to-singapore-well/>
by Passages In Time

**** Attract Foreign Talents Or Retain Local Talents? <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/attract-foreign-talents-or-retain-local-talents.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

**** Singapore's Production Probably Dropped On Electronics Slump <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a_7A20UWkpvU&refer=asia>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg
Singapore's industrial production probably fell for a second month in December as U.S. customers cut orders for the island's electronics and pharmaceuticals.

**** Did Police Check With Hospital Before Speaking To Patient? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,154326,00.html?>
by Kor Kian Beng, New Paper

**** Ludacris Brings A Taste Of Singapore To Atlanta <http://music.aol.com/popeater/2008/01/23/ludacris-brings-a-taste-of-singapore-to-atlanta/>
by Tracey Ford, PopEater Music Blog

**** Passing Rate Is Not Everything <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/233878.asp>
by Cheryl Lim, Joel Kong, Today
I am tired of seeing school banners that boast of "100-per-cent passes" or "value-added for another year".
/Bosses who mainly use measurements and KPIs to award their staff are simply too lazy to properly observe and assess how good or bad their staff are doing their jobs./

**** Dying Alone <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_199433.html>
by Lee Pei Qi and Amy Tan, Straits Times
Number of elderly whose bodies lay unclaimed is rising; groups keeping tabs on those living alone.

**** Disruptions: SMRT Explains <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/233939.asp>
by Today
SMRT said that more than 400 staff were activated as early as 4.40am to assist commuters and resume service. It deployed 70 buses because this was the maximum number possible withotu disrupting regular services islandwide.
See Also:
SMRT responded Rapidly To Service Disruption <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_199456.html>, by Goh Chee Kong, SMRT Corporation Ltd, Straits Times.

**** Blame It On Transport Costs <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/233887.asp>
by Cheow Xin Yi, Today
Despite the ongoing concerns, economists think it unlikely that the government will further target the exchange rate to curb imported inflation after its surprise move to let the Singapore dollar appreciate faster in October.