[MyAppleMenu] Jan 16, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 16 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** iPhone 1.2.3 Update: Google Maps First Impressions <http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/16/iphone-1-2-3-update-google-maps-first-impressions/>
by Chris Ullrich, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** MWSF: Web Flaw Yields Free Macworld VIP Pass <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20158>
by Robert McMillan, Macworld UK
A security researcher has found a way to get a free "Platinum" pass to Macworld by hacking the conference site.

**** Expo: Bare Bones Updates TextWrangler <http://www.macworld.com/article/131605/2008/01/textwrangler.html>
by Chris Barylick, Macworld

**** Microsoft Word 2008: Business-Standard Word Processor Adds New Layout Mode But Loses Visual Basic <http://www.macworld.com/article/131559/2008/01/word2008.html>
by Jeffery Battersby, Macworld
The elimination of VBA and weak support for AppleScript and Automator make the program far less versatile and valuable for users who really need automation. But the program's streamlined interface and the addition of the new Publishing Layout view make it a compelling choice, especially if you want to stretch Word beyond its current capabilities.

**** iTunes Movies: A Tuna Sandwich <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/itunes-movies-a-tuna-sandwich/index.html?ex=1358139600&en=2a664ae8ac1146ab&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times
Today's announcements tweak the recipe just enough to make online movies more accessible.

**** The Passion Of Steve Jobs <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/the-passion-of-steve-jobs/index.html?ex=1358139600&en=efa9ad469aa69d57&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by John Markoff, New York Times
Even more than when he's performing on stage, Steven P. Jobs's passion for personal coputing comes through when he talks about the years he spent cajoling his designers to build what he presented today as the world's "thinnest" computer.

**** MacBook Air Haters: Suck My Dick <http://wilshipley.com/blog/2008/01/macbook-air-haters-suck-my-dick.html>
by Wil Shipley, Call Me Fishmeal
No, really? Seriously? I mean, they introduced this new product, and it doesn't have the same specs as the MacBook Pro? God, that is bizarre. I wonder why they gave it a new name, and continue to sell the MacBook Pro, then, if it's not going to be exactly the same. I mean, that hardly makes sense, does it?

**** Apple's Movie Rentals Great In Toery, Sucks In Practice <http://cultofmac.com/?p=1667>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

**** A Lot Of Hot Air <http://theshapeofdays.com/2008/01/15/a-lot-of-hot-air.html>
by Jeff Harrell, The Shape Of Days
The MacBook Air is equipped /and built/ like a very cheap computer, but priced like a fairly expensive one, all becase it has to be small.

**** MacBook Air <http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/archives/2008/01/macbook_air.html>
by The Hot Blog
This suggests a universe in which rentals can be done on a larger basis &mdash; not free downloads and not purchased films &mdash; wthout a disc.

**** Hey, Steve - You Broke The Internet <http://www.mathewingram.com/work/2008/01/15/hey-steve-you-broke-the-internet/>
by Mathew Ingram

**** The MacBook Air's New Processor <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/15/the-macbook-airs-new-processor>
by Jon Stokes, Ars Technica

**** Macworld.Ars: iTunes HD Movies Only For Rent On Apple TV <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/15/macworld-ars-itunes-hd-movies-only-for-rent-on-apple-tv>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica
HD movies are only available for rent (not purchase to own), and only on the Apple TV (not on the computer).

**** Hands On With The MacBook Air <http://www.macworld.com/article/131588/2008/01/macbookair_handson.html>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
At the risk of sounding obvious, the MacBook Air is incredibly light and tiny. Its looks owe a lot to the MacBook Pro and previous silver Mac laptop models, but its curved edges and tapered shape are unlike anything we've seen on a Mac laptop in a ong time, if ever.

**** iTunes Terms Of Service Update For Movie Rentals <http://daringfireball.net/2008/01/itunes_movie_rental_tos>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Everything else about these movie rentals seems terrific &mdash; the DVD and HD quality options, the prices, the shopping UI on the Apple TV &mdash; but 24 hours after you hit play the first time just doesn't seem fair.

**** MacBook Air: Not The Thinnest Notebok Ever <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9850943-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com
Apple calls the Air the world's thinnest notebook. How you interpret that ("on the market today" or "ever") is up to you.

**** Breaking Down Macworld 2008 From All Sides <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9851429-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
I think the iTunes Rental Store bears the most watching of today's announcements because of it spotential impact both on Apple's iTunes Store business and the industry at large.

**** Steve Jobs Gets Cohesive <http://www.macworld.com/article/131592/2008/01/keynotereax.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
More so than any keynote in recent memory, Tuesday's Apple announcements fit together very well, and seemed to reflect a very solid top-level vision.

**** Apple, Fox Team Up For iTunes Digital Copy <http://www.macworld.com/article/131593/2008/01/itunesdigitalcopy.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Apple and Twentieth Century Fox on Tuesday introduced iTunes Digital Copy, a new technology that enables users who buy specially configured DVD movies with the ability to copy the movie to iTunes, for later playback on the Mac (or PC), iPod and other compatible products.

**** AppleTV + Rentals Is The Big News <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/01/appletv_rentals.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
The days of there being "nothing on" your TV set are effectively over.

**** The MacBook Air <http://daringfireball.net/2008/01/macbook_air>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
I'd have rather seen a smaller footprint, /a la/ the old 12-inch PowerBook G4 &mdash; something just exactly as wide as a full keyboard.
The MacBook Air is undeniably beautiful and clever, but clearly designed as a secondary machine, not a main machine.

**** Macworld.ars: Time Capsule Not Coming To AirPort Extreme, At Least Not Yet <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/15/time-capsule-not-coming-to-airport-extreme-at-least-not-yet>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica
The current word is that AirPort Extreme owners are out of luck when it comes to turning their AirPort DIsk into a Time Capsule.

**** Hands On With New Apple TV <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/01/hands_on_with_n.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
One of the more frequent criticisms of the Apple TV has been storage, but now that movie rentals are going to be its main feature, storage is going to be less an issue.

**** iTunes And The "Guy Tax" <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/01/itunes_and_theg.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
This almost constitutes variable pricing.

**** MW08: All Your MagSafe Cords Are Obsoleted <http://www.macuser.com/hardware/mw08_all_your_magsafe_cords_ar.php?lsrc=murss>
by Derik DeLong, MacUser
It's actually a new generation of the connector... Beyond just being different physically, it delivers different wattage.

**** MacBook Air Lacks User-Replaceable Battery, Apple Will Install One For You For $129 <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/macbook-air-lac.html>
by Jose Fermoso, Wired

**** Time Should Be On Our Side With iTunes Rentals <http://www.macworld.com/article/131601/2008/01/rentals.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
While 24 hours sounds like quite a lot, when you combine children and two working parents, it's really not.

**** MWSF: Many Software Updates <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20155>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple updates iPhone, iTunes, Front Row, iMovie, and QuickTime.

**** Macworld.Ars: Mac Quicken No More <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/15/macworld-ars-quicken-no-more>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica
/Is this the relaunch of Intuit on the Mac, or the final nail in the coffin, only time will tell./

**** Why Steve Jobs Has Pulled One Over On The Entire Movie Rental Industry <http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9850927-17.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
In effect, Apple has been able to utilize its current stable of products to its advantage, while the rest of the online rental industry is wondering what to do next.

**** MacBook AirHead: Why Apple's New Laptop Is Basically Useless <http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/01/15/macbook-airhead-why-apples-new-laptop-is-basically-useless/>
by Devin Coldewey, CrunchGear
Did we really need things to get /that/ much thinner? The Air is whisper-thin but it does weigh three pounds and it's not like you can fold it up and put it in your pocket. What is losing that last half an inch doing /aside/ from attracting stares?

**** iTunes Movie Rentals - Almost There <http://www.macworld.com/article/131595/2008/01/rentalreax.html>
by Brian Chen, Macworld
We who live in the digial age want our media now. If I had to wait 30 days to watch a new release, I'd walk to the video store.

**** Hands On: iPhone 1.1.3 With Locator, SMS, Webclips <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/15/hands.on.iphone.113/>
by MacNN

**** Apple's First Security Patches Of 2008 Fix iPhone, QuickTime <http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/15/Apples-first-security-patches-of-2008-fix-iPhone-QuickTime_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/15/Apples-first-security-patches-of-2008-fix-iPhone-QuickTime_1.html>
by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
The security update fixes critical flaws in QuickTime and the Safari browser, and, as with other updates, the iPhone patches will disable handhelds with Jailbreak installed.

**** Macworld.ars: iPhone 1.1.3 Can (Finally) Manually Manage Media <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/15/macworld-ars-iphone-1-1-3-can-finally-manually-manage-media>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
With the iPhone's new (official) 1.1.3 firmware, users also got an unannouced, yet very welcome feature: the ability to manually manage their music and videos.

**** Apple Introduces MacBook Air <http://www.macworld.com/article/131583/2008/01/macbookair.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
During his Macworld Expo keynote address on Tuesday morning, Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the MacBook Air, a computer that the company billed as the world's thinnest notebook &mdash; small enough to fit inside an interoffice mailing envelope. It's priced starting at $1,799.
Sporting a silvery finish, the MacBook Air features a 13.3-inch LED-backlit widescreen display &mdash; it saves power and provides "instant on" response from the moment you turn it on, according to Jobs. The device has a slightly wedge-shaped profile that runs from 1.2 inches down to 0.8 inches high. It weighs about 3 pounds, and sports a thickness of 0.16-0.76 inches.

**** Apple Introduces Time Machine Companion Hardware <http://www.macworld.com/article/131579/2008/01/capsule.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Time Capsule combines an 802.11n network access point and a hard disk drive. The device is a "full AirPort Extreme base station" combined with "a server-grade hard drive," according to Jobs.

**** More Powerful Maps, Multi-Person SMS Lead New iPhone Features <http://www.macworld.com/article/131581/2008/01/iphoneupdate.html>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
Apple expanded the iPhone's capabilities Tuesday with a software update that adds a location finder to the Maps feature, customized home screens, multi-person SMS chats, and Webclips. In addition, video playback on the phone now supports chapters, subtitles and languages, while the music playback adds support for lyrics.

**** Apple Introduces iTunes Movie Rentals <http://www.macworld.com/article/131580/2008/01/itunesmovierentals.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Apple on Tuesday introduces iTunes Movie Rentals, a new feature of the iTunes Store that enables users to download movies and watch them for a short time rather than having to buy them. They will be priced at $3.99 for new releases, $2.99 for "library titles."
Apple managed to get the support of all the major movie studios, including Fox, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal and Song, along with Touchstone, Miramax, MGM, New Line and Lions Gate. Aple CEO Steve Jobs said that the new service will launch by the end of February with over 1,000 movies.

**** Instant Boot-Up <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20072/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
A Silicon Valley startup bypasses Windows to start computers faster, getting people online in seconds.

**** Solving A Riddle Wrapped In A Mystery Inside A Cookie <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/dining/16fort.html?_r=1&ex=1358226000&en=64382adc1a74f036&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Jennifer 8. Lee, New York Times
Some 3 billion fortune cookies are made each year, almost all in the United States. But the crisp cookies wrapped around enigmatic sayings have spread around the world.
But there is one place where fortune cookies are conspicuously absent: China.

**** Keys To The Kingdom <http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/02/indianajones200802>
by Annie Leibovitz, Vanity Fair
Between them, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have made 13 of the 100 top-grossing movies of all time. Yet they struggled for more than a decade with the upcoming fourth installment of their billion-dollar Indiana Jones franchise.

**** Principal's 'Wake-Up Call' To Sec 5 Students Had To Be 'Conveyed' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_196894.html>
by Jane Ng, Straits Times
Parents and students may disagree with the tone a principal used when she told some Secondary 5 students to apply for the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) instead of doing the O levels, but the message was one that had to be delivered, said minister of state for education Lui Tuck Yew on Wednesday.

**** Singapore Plays Bank Saviour Again <http://www.livemint.com/2008/01/16114414/Singapore-plays-bank-saviour-a.html>
by AFP

**** Family Doctor In Singapore For Many Indonesians <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20080116.T01&irec=0>
by T. Sima Gunawan, Jakarta Post
Indonesia has many good doctors, so why do so many people seek healthcare abroad?

**** Survivalism <http://verbalme.wordpress.com/2008/01/15/survivalism/>
by For What It's Worth
Is it a case of feeling scared that his time is running out, when he sees his former counterparts all being hospitalised or dead, and subtly wants to remind the people of all the good he has done?

**** Luckier <http://www.dailybacktrack.com/index.php?/archives/644-Luckier.html>
by Daily Backtrack
Singaporeans are far luckier than Indonesians because we were led not by a general, but by a /lawyer/. Without the propensity for armed conflict inherent in all men of the battle, I think we turned out pretty similiar to our islandic neighbours,just a lot better.
Ain't that right?

**** Great Singapore Sale Comes Early <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/great-singapore-sale-comes-early.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
The problem with GIC and Temasek spending billions is that they are sovereign wealth funds. Spending such huge sums of money without parliamentary accountability is clearly disturbing to some people.

**** Is Singapore's Public Transport System Inefficient? <http://ian.onthereddot.com/2008/01/16/is-singapores-public-transport-system-inefficient/>
by Ian On The Red Dot
Maybe Singapore's public transport system isn't as good as we claim it to be.

**** Half Of Workers To Get Full Subsidy <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_196598.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times
The bottom half of all workers will continue to get full subsidy at public hospitals.

**** Make Means Testing Only For Under-40s <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_196468.html>
by Andrew Chia Lye Hock, Straits Times
Citizens in the older age group were not given warning in their younger years that that is the direction the government would look in eventually.

**** Time To Relook Appraisal System For Schools? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,153542,00.html?>
by New Paper
In both instances, the schools failed in compassion, a basic virtue in education. Held up against their actions, talk about giving people a second chance seemed hollow, at least to the pupils and their parents.
But the larger question is: What is driving our schools to take such measures?

**** Singapore Closing Gap On Freedom <http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=30&art_id=60134&sid=17122523&con_type=1&d_str=20080116>
by Benjamin Scent and Karen Wong, The Standard
Singapore is catching up to Hong Kong in terms of economic freedom and could soon surpass the SAR.