[MyAppleMenu] Jan 9, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 9 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** EC Statement On Apple iTunes Price Change <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20100>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
The European Commission has issued a brief statement, welcoming Apple's move to bring UK iTunes prices into line with those made available in other European states.

**** Macworld Highlights: Look For Upgrades, iPhone Apps <http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/news/2008/01/macworld_preview>
by Bryan Gardiner, Wired
We'll have to wait for Tuesday's keynote by Apple CEO Steve Jobs to see which rumors stick and which don't. In the meantime, here's a taste of what (possibly) could appear at Macworld.

**** Macworld Software Highlights: Better Leopard, New Office, HD iTunes <http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2008/01/macworld_softwalkup>
by Michael Calore, Wired
Some releases &mdash; like updates to Mac OS X Leopard and Microsoft Office for the Mac &mdash; are as good as guaranteed. Others we're not totally sure about. But here's what we're expecting to see in the world of software at Macworld 2008.

**** The First Month On A Mac <http://techtalkweekly.blogspot.com/2008/01/first-month-on-mac.html>
by Tech Talk
Apple, you've definitely grabbed a new customer.

**** Adobe And Omniture: Further Details <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/01/adobe_and_omnit.html>
by Jack Nack, Adobe
We are working with Omniture on this right now, and will make this change as soon as we can.

**** District Doubles Its Computing Power With Boot Camp And iMac <http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/cartersville/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple

**** The iPod Economy And C.E.S. <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/the-ipod-economy-and-ces/?ref=technology>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times

**** The Future And Apple TV <http://www.macworld.com/article/131469/2008/01/futureappletv.html>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Leak Reveals iPod-Ready Videos On Fox DVDs <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/08/itunes.76.leak/>
by MacNN
One customer noted that the box backing makes reference to an iPod-resolution file included on the disc, described by the packaging as a Fox Digital Copy.

**** OmniFocus Task Management Software Released <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/08/omnifocus.10.released/>
by MacNN

**** ProjectWizards Releases Merlin 2.5 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/08/merlin.25.released/>
by MacNN

**** Bento 1.0 For Mac OS X Released Out Of Beta <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/08/bento-1-0-for-mac-os-x-released-out-of-beta>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica

**** Apple, EC To Settle iTunes Pricing Case <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16015/53/>
by Stephen Withers, iTWire
Apple is set to resolve charges by the European Commission that its country-based iTunes Stores contravene European Union rules.

**** First Trojan Reported For The iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/131470/2008/01/iphonetrojan.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
The Trojan specifically targets users that have modded their iPhone so they can install third-party applications.

**** Europe's Philosophy Of Failure <http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4095&page=0>
by Stefan Theil, Foreign Policy
In France and Germany, students are being forced to undergo a dangerous indoctrination. Taught that economic principles such as capitalism, free markets, and entrepreneurship are savage, unhealthy, and immoral, these children are raised on a diet of prejudice and bias. Rooting it out may determine whether Europe's economies prosper or continue to be left behind.

**** Singapore Opens New Airport Terminal <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gRzzipYTWzKD_jxuxF4BVDXc0q6g>
by AFP
Singapore on Wednesday opened its largest and most expensive airport terminal that industry analysts say will reinforce the city-state's position as a regional aviation hub.

**** 6 Pest Control Companies Fined For Bid Rigging <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_194376.html>
by Straits Times
Six pest control companies in Singapore have been fined a total of $262,759 for bid-rigging and collusive tendering.

**** For Once, I Actually Agreed With Lee Kuan Yew... Wholeheartedly <http://blog.simplyjean.com/2008/01/09/for-once-i-actually-agreed-with-lee-kuan-yew-wholeheartedly/>
by Simply Jean

**** A Gracious Society? I'd Settle For A Gracious Government <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/01/09/a-gracious-society-i%e2%80%99d-settle-for-a-gracious-government/>
by Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen
Words chosen have an impact on society, especially when they come from a government on which most Singaporeans still look to for direction.

**** We Don't Want To Run Out Of Money <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,152897,00.html?>
by Ng Wan Ching, New Paper
"The money that we have will not last foreverr. We must conserve it to make it last as long as possible."

**** Cabby's Actions Now Not "Illegal". He Only "Flouted Rules" <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/01/09/cabbys-actions-now-not-illegal-he-only-flouted-rules/>
by Gerald Giam, theonlinecitizen
The bottom line is that LTA really had no business pronouncing judgment on this minor infringement of a private company's rules (if at all).

**** JetStar May Be Barred From Singapore-Malaysia Route, Star Says <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=apHBmbaqy45s&refer=australia>
by Angus Whitley, Bloomberg
Jetstar Asia Airways Pte may be barred by the Malaysian government from flying to Kuala Lumpur from Singapore, the STar reported, citing Malaysian transport minister Chan Kong Choy.

**** The Sadness Of The Taxi Situation <http://www.ignorantsoup.com/2008/01/08/the-sadness-of-the-taxi-situation/>
by The Ignorantsoup
It makes no sense for the cabbies to earn more for a call booking.
/The cost of anything need not make any sense except for one: is it the price that enough customers will pay in order to make a good profit?/

**** Just Think Customer <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/231164.asp>
by Liang Dingzi, Today

**** F&amp;N To Dissolve COnsultancy Deal With Chairman <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_194306.html>
by Lee Su Shyan, Straits Times
Conglomerate Fraser &amp; Neave (F&amp;N) is dissolving a controversial $1 million-a-year consultancy agreement it inked with its chairman Lee Hsien Yang last year. The consultancy fee will still be paid to Mr Lee - but it will be paid as director's fees instead.
See Also:
Singapore Fraser And Neave Puts Chairman Pay To Vote <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSSIN17433820080109>, by Reuters.

**** Traps In SLA's Maps <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/231198.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
What street directory producer Virtual Map unwittingly did was leave behind "fingerprints of copying" &mdash; when it reproduced deliberate errors in some of the Singapore Land Authority's (SLA) maps.
/Adding deliberate errors into maps or dictionaries is a standard practice. For Virtual Map to fell into such trap demonstrates their inexperience./

**** Bad Luck, Singapore Girl <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/231155.asp>
by Christie Loh, Today
What is behind the Singapore Girl's string of jinxed courtships?

**** Why MRT Signs Are Not Translated Into Malay <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_194249.html>
by Suhana Kharudin, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times
As the station names are actual location names common to both English and Malya applications, they are not translated into Malay.

**** Too Much Non-Post Business In Post Offices <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_194243.html>
by Cindy Tan Hui Cheng, Straits Times