[MyAppleMenu] Jan 6, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 6 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** Online Film Delivery Sounds The Death Knell For DVDs <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/leisure/article3136573.ece>
by Dominic Rushe, The Times
Our viewing habits could be changed by linking the internet to the living room TV.

**** Apple: More Than A Pretty Face <http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jan2008/id2008014_858681.htm>
by Sohrab Vossoughi, BusinessWeek
Consumer electronics companies need to do more than pare product lines and make cool stuff. What Apple offers is a complete ecosystem.

**** A Question Of Demand <http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10431816>
by The Economist
What NetSuite's flotation says about the software industry.

**** Reading The Koran <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/books/review/Ramadan-t.html?ref=books>
by Tariq Ramadan, New York Times
The Koran may be read at several levels, in quite distinct fields.

**** Blind Faiths <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/books/review/Ali-t.html?_r=1&ref=books&oref=slogin>
by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, New York Times
Several authors have published books on radical Islam's threat to the West since that shocking morning in September six years ago. With "The Suicide of Reason," Lee Harris joins their ranks. But he distinguishes himself by going further than most of his counterparts: he considers the very worst possibility &mdash; the destruction of the West by radical Islam.

**** Downtime: It's Enough To Make Some People Sick <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/21/AR2007122102228.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Lindsay Minnema, Washington Post
Some research suggests illness goes up when the stress of work goes down. Skeptics are immune to this theory.

**** Means Testing In Hospitals Will Not Follow Nursing Homes' Model <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/320997/1/.html>
by Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia
Means Testing - a system which determines how much subsidy a patient should get - will soon be implemented in hospitals, but it will not follow the model used by nursing homes and commuity hospitals.
It will, in fact, be simpler, said health minister Khaw Boon Wan at a community eventi n Woodlands on Sunday.

**** The Travelling Table: A's Singapore Swing <http://tableforthreeplease.blogspot.com/2008/01/travelling-table-as-singapore-swing.html>
by Table For Three, Please
When Franco found out I was going to Singapore on a business trip, he asked me, "So should I give you a list of restaurants to go to?"

**** China Denies Pressing Eastern Air Shareholders <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSL0531170620080105>
by Andrew Torchia, Reuters

**** The Hawker And The Banker <http://www.oikono.com/wordpress/?p=395>
by Oikono
Can the Banker understand the life of a Hawker? Can he empathize with their difficulties or being so far removed from them, he wonders why anyone would need social security, handouts or subsidized healthcare?

**** I Can't See The Difference... Can You? <http://captcanuck.blogspot.com/2008/01/i-cant-see-differencecan-you.html>
by I Reject Your Reality, And Will Subsitute My Own!

**** Joining Young PAP As Your Stepping Stone To Parliament? <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/01/joining-young-pap-as-your-stepping.html>
by Gerald Giam, SIngapore Patriot

**** Singapore's Temasek A Poster Child For Corporate Greed? <http://communicate.os3.sg/?p=83>
by CommunicateAsia
Why do smart and successful companies like Temasek miss the opportunity to engage stakeholders proactively?

**** Meter Matics <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,152565,00.html?>
by Elysa Chen, New Paper
New fare system has some commuters scratching their heads.

**** High Time For Stiffer Laws? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_193304.html>
by Tan Dawn Wei, Straits Times
Penalties for driving while under the influence of alcohol are causing some confusion and concern. How heavily should a driver be punished if he killed someone while in an alcoholic daze?