[MyAppleMenu] Jan 2, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 2 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** First Look: Word 2008 <http://www.macworld.com/article/131351/2008/01/word08_fl.html>
by Jeffery Battersby, Macworld
It's apparent that there is a major convergence between how Apple and Microsoft think a word processing application should work. WHile Word hasn't changed much when it comes to creating text-based documents, it has changed significantly when it comes to creating documents that are more page layout than word processing.

**** First Look: Excel 2008 <http://www.macworld.com/article/131350/2008/01/excel08.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
It seems that Microsoft has delivered a Univeral version of Excel 2004 with some minor improvments, and minus one key feature &mdash; VIsual Basic macros &mdash; that some power users rely on.

**** Transmit <http://shawnblanc.net/2008/transmit/>
by Shawn Blanc

**** Open Source In '08: Break-Outs And Consolidation <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9838479-62.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Dave Rosenberg, CNET News.com

**** Missing Sync For iPhone Ships <http://www.macworld.com/article/131354/2008/01/missingsync.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Mark/Space has released The Missing Sync for iPhone, synchronization software that enables users to work with additional kinds of data that aren't supported by iSync.

**** With Release Looming, Microsoft Previews Office 2008 <http://www.macworld.com/article/131352/2008/01/office08preview.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Microsoft has takent he wraps off the latest version of Office, showcasing its new features and capabilities.

**** China Business - The 2008 iPhone Games <http://www.phonemag.com/china-business-%E2%80%93-the-2008-iphone-games-0119.php>
by Dan Butterfield, Phone Magazine
Bottom line... China wants the iPhone and Apple wants China. It will happen. Stay tuned.

**** Wanna Buy Apple Gear? Of Course You Should Wait! <http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/15933/1105/>
by iTWire
With Macworld less than two weeks away, only those with an unstoppable urgent need for new Apple gear will be 'brave' enough to buy anything Apple before Steve Jobs permanently changes the Apple landscape yet again.
/iPods anre iPhones are probably 'safe' to buy. iPods have just been updated radically, so no radical changes are expected, while Apple probably doesn't have the ability to do a new iPhone without leaks to the rumormongering web sites, and we definitely haven't hear anything new./

**** The Year In Software <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19986/>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
In 2007, life online continued to meld with life offline.

**** The Making, And Breaking, Of Resolutions Is Only Human <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/31/AR2007123101926.html>
by Monica Hesse, Washington Post
With such ridiculously miserable rates of achievement, the logical question to ask isn't how we can better reach our goals, but: Why do we even bother making them to begin with? Are we just hopelessly stupid?

**** From Student Rag To Literary Riches <http://books.guardian.co.uk/interviews/story/0,,2233674,00.html>
by Simon Garfield, Guardian
Launched in 1979 under the inspired lunacy' of Bill Buford, Granta magazine became the home of vital new writing and launched the careers of some of our greatest novelists. As it celebrates its 100th issue, we ask editors past and present how a tiny Cambridge journal rose to conquer the literary world.

**** The Invisible Ingredient In Every Kitchen <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/02/dining/02curi.html?_r=1&ex=1357016400&en=d10a85adbf85bfba&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Harold McGee, New York Times
Of all the ingredients in the kitchen, the most common is also the most mysterious.
It's hard to measure and hard to control. It's not a material like water or flour, to be added by the cup. In fact, it's invisible.
It's heat.

**** Selling Sex In Honeymoon Heaven <http://www.believermag.com/issues/200801/?read=article_strand>
by Ginger Strand, The Believer
Feminity, Niagara Falls, and the genuine allure of an American fake.

**** Government Reviews Criteria For Rental Flats <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_192126.html>
by Tan Hui Yee, Straits Times
As demand for subsidised rental housing grows, the government is reviewing the criteria for applicants to weed out the less needy among them.

**** That National Resource Thing Again <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/01/so-alex-au-yawning-bread-sends-me-email.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

**** How Taxi Drivers Made Singapore Memorable <http://kelvinlesterlee.wordpress.com/2008/01/02/how-taxi-drivers-made-singapore-memorable/>
by Kelvin Lee, Babble On
The people were friendly (especially the taxi drivers), the place amazingly clean and the food superb.

**** How Long Will Singapore Take To Recover From It's Slowing Economy Performance? <http://singaporebusinessreview.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-long-will-singapore-take-to-recover.html>
by Singapore Business Review

**** Second Link Tolls To Go Up From Feb 1 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/320343/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
The tolls for all motorists at Tuas Second Link will be raised by between 10 cents and S$4.40 from 1 February. As for the Causeway, the revisions are smaller and affect only outbound motorists.
The Land Transport Authority said Singapore's toll rates are pegged to those set by Malaysia.

**** Government Will Continue To Monitor Residential Property Market <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/320354/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The government will continue to monitor the residential property market in a bid to ensure that prices remain stable, according to national development minister Mah Bow Tan.

**** Tekka Market In Little India To Close For 16 Months <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_192085.html>
by Straits Times
Tekka market and food centre in Little India will close for 16 months from March for a major facelift.

**** Singapore Air, China Eastern Say Acquisition Deal Is Fair <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSHKG20944620080102>
by Reuters

**** Singapore Private Housing Prices Up 31 Percent In 2007 <http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/01/02/afx4484968.html>
by Thomson Financial
Private residential prices in Singapore rose 31 percent in 2007, reflecting strong demand for high-end residential condominiums in the central region, the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) said Wedesday, citing preliminary estimates.

**** "The Peasants Are Revolting". "I Know...". <http://blueheeler.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/the-peasants-are-revolting-i-know/>
by BothSidesOfTheJohorStraits
Perhaps this status/financial gulf between the ruling elite and us is why politicians like Pamier think of 'us' as 'them', and not 'we'...

**** A Surreal Beginning <http://statestimes.wordpress.com/2008/01/01/a-surreal-beginning/>
by The States Times
Not exctly the kind of New Year's message that makes you smile, but it was sent to a suffering people while he was still on a long holiday lasting till the 8th of January.

**** Reading The PM's New Year Message 2008 <http://ringisei.wordpress.com/2008/01/01/reading-the-pms-new-year-message-2008/>
by ringisei

**** Singapore's GDP Unexpectedly Shrinks On Weaker Output <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aq_kWpMoQZyk&refer=home>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg
Singapore's economy unexpectedly contracted last quarter as factory output slowed, suggesting Asia's export-dependent markets may face increased risks from slower global growth.

**** Fireworks: 8 Mins. The Wait: 13 Hours <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,152220,00.html?>
by Shree Ann Mathavan, New Paper
Waiting for about 13 hours under the punishing hot sun for eight minutes of fireworks might put some people off.
But several families were doing just that outside the Esplanade on Marina Bay yesterday morning.

**** Museum Promises Stricter Controls On Photo Shoots <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_191979.html>
by Pauline Kheng, National Museum Of Singapore, Straits Times