[MyAppleMenu] Dec 8, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 8 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Apple Computer: The (Very) Early Years <http://computershopper.com/feature/apple-computer-the-very-early-years/>
by Stan Veit, Computer Shopper
We were just beginning to realize that the Computer Mart of New York might be a success beyond our dreams and that the little space in Polk's Hobby Store might not be enough, when I received a phone call.
It was a very fast-talking young man who told me, "I'm Steve Jobs."

**** How Apple, Others Have Cultivated Religious Followings <http://adage.com/cmostrategy/article?article_id=132996>
by Martin Lindstrom, Advertising Age
Have some brands actually managed to create their own religions by, coincidentally or deliberately, adopting triggers and tactics from the world of religion?

**** Apple Is Greener Than Greenpeace Says <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2008/tc2008126_018125.htm>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
That Apple continues to fall short says less about Apple's standing as an environmentally friendly company than it does about the company's willingness to play by all of Greenpeace's occasionally inconsistent and illogical rules.

**** Apple To Sell iPhones In Wal-Mart Stores This Month <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a4YIU21gLaSY&refer=us>
by Connie Guglielmo, Bloomberg
Employees in the cell-phone departments at five California stores, contacted by phone today, said Wal-Mart will offer iPhones by the end of December. Employees are currently being trained on how to sell the device, all five said.

**** The Freedoms That Technologies Help Bring <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/technology/personaltech/08link.html>
by Noam Cohen, New York Times

**** Fought Over Any Good Books Lately? <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/fashion/07clubs.html?_r=1>
by Joanne Kaufman, New York Times
What happens when there is more drama in the book club than there is in the books?

**** My Autopsy <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/12/15/081215po_poem_dickman>
by Michael Dickman, New Yorker

**** Acting Like A Tree <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/12/15/081215po_poem_aaron>
by Jonathan Aaron, New Yorker

**** A Public Enemy In Singapore <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/07/AR2008120701924.html>
by Fred Hiatt, Washington Post
Canadian lawyer Robert Amsterdam, who is assisting Chee Soon Juan, said that in his experience, which includes representing persecuted clients in Russia and elsewhere, governments do not go to great lengths to monopolize the media and control speech unless there is something they would rather their people not know. If he is right, Chee Soon Juan's rap sheet would indicate there is much this government would rather not share with its public.

**** The Importance Of Speaking Up <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/12/importance-of-speaking-up.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Too often, too many Singaporeans fall to speak up on important issues, even issues that should concern them directly.

**** Singapore Maneuvers In Response To Chee <http://www.feer.com/essays/2008/december/singapore-maneuvers-in-response-to-chee>
by Garry Rodan, Far Eastern Economic Review
Singapore Democratic Party leader Chee Soon Juan may have been neutralized as an electoral force, but he exerts a growing influence on the political agenda of the PAP.

**** Wife Of Ex-NKF Chair Guilty <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_311917.html>
by Selina Lum, Straits Times
The wife of former NKF chairman Richard Yong pleaed guilty in Hong Kong on Monday to a charge of money laundering, more than a year after she and her husband were arrested in the territory.

**** Why Are Singaporeans Emigrating? <http://byon.wordpress.com/2008/12/08/why-are-singaporeans-emigrating/>
by Byon's Blog
We look around us and see all the privileges handed out to foreigners on silver platters on a regular basis and wonder what is it we serve National Service for.

**** The Extent Of Apathy In Singapore <http://mathialee.wordpress.com/2008/12/08/the-extent-of-apathy-in-singapore/>
by Mathia Lee

**** Is Fear Of Politics Keeping Worthy Singaporeans From Public Office? <http://wayangparty.com/2008/12/08/is-fear-of-politics-keeping-worthy-singaporeans-from-public-office/>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club Of Singapore

**** Raise Service Standards: As Bus Lanes And Bus-Bay Exits Take Effect <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_311629.html>
by Ang Eng Liang, Straits Times
LTA needs to observe carefully whether such time-saving benefits have been passed on to commuters or have been absorbed by bus companies in their incessant quest to cut cost and maximise profits.

**** Transparency, Please, ICA <http://geraldgiam.wordpress.com/2008/12/08/transparency-please-ica/>
by Gerald Giam

**** Opposition Parties: No Time To Cross Swords <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/12/opposition-parties-no-time-to-cross-swords/>
by The Online Citizen

**** Dr Teo Ho Pin, Where Is Our Money? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/12/dr-teo-ho-pin-where-is-our-money/>
by Dhevanrajan, The Online Citizen
We do not need stock replies and interviews from you reassuring us. We want to know the exact details of your investments. And don't you dare keep referring us to the annual reports as if they contain the information we want.