[MyAppleMenu] Aug 31, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 31 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** 'Don't Feel Like Dancin' <http://www.starexponent.com/cse/lifestyles/culpeper_news/article/dont_feel_like_dancin/20550/>
by Catherine Amos, Culpeper Star-Exponent
When the realization hit me that my musical companion was missing, my typically cheerful disposition darkened and a fog seeped into my brain. I felt incomplete, like a best friend had moved away.

**** Helping The Stars Take Back The Night <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/business/31essay.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Joe Sharkey, New York Times
It's easy to forget, 130 years after outdoor electric lighting first case its glow through the night, that the sky is actually full of stars.

**** James Wood's 'Fiction' Is About Making It Real <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/31/RVC411T7SJ.DTL&feed=rss.books>
by Charles Matthews, San Francisco Chronicle
"How Fiction Works" is an audacious title, not only because explaining the mechanisms of fiction is a large task, but also because fiction doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to, if you take the decline in book sales as evidence. But if any contemporary critic is up to the task, it's James Wood, who has read more and better than the rest of us.

**** Carry On Laid Bare? You're Having A Laugh <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/aug/31/film?gusrc=rss&feed=books>
by Elizabeth Day, The Guardian
The world divides broadly into two types of people. THere are those who believe that the resemblance of sausages to male genitalia is a fund of endless ribaldry. And there are those who don't.

**** Solzhenitsyn The Stylist <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/books/review/Scammel-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Michael Scammell, New York Times
Most of the recent tributes to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, who died earlier this month, have concentrated on his titanic struggle against the Soviet regime, and rightly so. But what seems to have gotten lost is the reason he was listened to in the first place &mdash; namely, his virtues as a writer.

**** 2 Demonstrations In UK At Junta's Embassy And Singapore Embassy (Next Stop - Thai Embassy Soon) <http://ko-htike.blogspot.com/2008/08/2-demonstrations-in-uk-at-juntas.html>
by Ko Htike's Prosaic Collection
"Support the people not the dictators... right now."

**** Plight Of Malaysians From Singapore <http://hawkeyejack.blogspot.com/2008/08/plight-of-malaysians-from-singapore.html>
by Hawkeyejack
Both the Malaysian government and the Singapore government should look into resolving the ordeal of these people who contributes to both the economy of this two countries.

**** Speaker's Corner: 1 Registered <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_273939.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times
The first day of a freer Speaker's Corner looks set to be a quiet one with no one having registered to stage a protet and only one person signed up to speak.

**** Just A Sorry Excuse? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_273858.html>
by Mavis Toh, Straits Times
All kinds of claims are made in mitigation pleas but the jury's out on who should ensure that whatever is presented is not made up.

**** Orientation - Just Fun Or Plain Lewd? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_273850.html>
by Shuli Sudderuddin, Straits Times
Students, academics, freshmen and others weigh in on the sexual slant.
/Singaporeans have no creative ideas on how to make orientations meaniful and memorable./

**** Gong Li A Singaporean? Why? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_273846.html>
by Jamie Ee Wen Wei, Straits Times
Singaporeans are divided over news that famous China actress Gong Li has apparently become a Singapore citizen.

**** Answers Needed On Twins' Fund <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_273844.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times
It's time the committee set out its purpose clearly and unambiguously so its duties and actions are transparent to all.